***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,532 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correction: it was Stephen and not Jerry.

Quote:

Despite losing two straight games and hearing increased grumbling from fans, the Dallas Cowboys are apparently not close to thinking about a head coaching change.

"Absolutely not," Cowboys director of player personnel Stephen Jones said on 105.3 The Fan when asked if head coach Jason Garrett was on the hot seat. "He's done a great job with this team. He had the guys playing hard (in Week 5) when it could have gotten really ugly,"

Following a hot start, Dallas has suffered back-to-back defeats at the hands of the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers. The Cowboys averaged 32.3 points in the first three contests before scoring just 34 combined in the pair of losses.

"Just hang in there with us," Jones added. "I really believe we're going to correct these things to be really more consistent. I feel like the best is yet to come."
PatAg
AG
ApachePilot said:

I'm amazed Jerry Jones has kept Jason Garret this long. From the outside looking in at this team I'm amazed they haven't done more. It's the damn Cowboys. Growing up a Seahawk fan in the late 70s-through the 80s I always respected the Cowboys. They were the standard on how to run a team. This last 20 years it seems this team has just been a drift. Guess it starts with Jerry.

Jason Garrett is average
Dak is average

begone
Grapesoda2525
Longest tenured coaches in the NFL.....

Here's the top 4

1) Belichick

2) Payton

3) Tomlin

4) Garrett

One of these is not like the others.
HouseDivided06
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Longest tenured coaches in the NFL.....

Here's the top 4

1) Belichick

2) Payton

3) Tomlin

4) Garrett

One of these is not like the others.

He's black #normvoice
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
ApachePilot said:

I'm amazed Jerry Jones has kept Jason Garret this long. From the outside looking in at this team I'm amazed they haven't done more. It's the damn Cowboys. Growing up a Seahawk fan in the late 70s-through the 80s I always respected the Cowboys. They were the standard on how to run a team. This last 20 years it seems this team has just been a drift. Guess it starts with Jerry.

Jason Garrett is average
Dak is average

Too many people (and maybe the Jones family too) take on the "well who you gona get?" position. They'd rather stick with a known loser who has proven he will not take you to the next level, rather than take a chance on going after a coach who might, just might get you better results. But taking that chance is still better than going with a known entity loser.

I don't mind keeping Dak around as I do think he can win a title IF he's got guys around him doing their jobs. He simply cannot carry a team though.

I do however mind keeping Garrett around after this year if they don't at least get to the NFC title game.
ElephantRider
AG
I have no problem with Dak playing QB for this team. I do have a problem with paying him like a Top 5 QB in the league, because he's not one. But I don't think there's a way to keep him without it, so who knows what will happen.
Macarthur
The problem is that the market is moving. Let's say they pay him 35 per year with this new deal.

After the next collective bargaining agreement and TV contracts, 35 per year may be one hell of a bargain. You can imagine what that contract for Mahomes is going to look like?

I can remember when people thought paying Romo $15 million per year was insane. Within 2 years, that deal was a bargain.
bonfarr
AG
People shouldn't worry about what the Joneses are saying about Garrett's job status. Pay closer attention to what they do. He is on the last year of his contract and no new deal has been offered yet. They have expectations for this team and I have a feeling if they fail he will not be re-signed.

He isn't going to be fired.midseason u less the wheels completely fall off so there is.no reason for them to publicly call Garrett out, that isn't the Jones' style.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
ChemAg15
AG
Garrett is absolutely on the chopping block this year. He is gone unless he can prove he's the man for the job. Like you said, he's in a contract year and there is no indication that the FO is in a hurry to renew his contract.
PooDoo
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
bonfarr said:

People shouldn't worry about what the Joneses are saying about Garrett's job status. Pay closer attention to what they do. He is on the last year of his contract and no new deal has been offered yet. They have expectations for this team and I have a feeling if they fail he will not be re-signed.

He isn't going to be fired.midseason u less the wheels completely fall off so there is.no reason for them to publicly call Garrett out, that isn't the Jones' style.
Yup.

And I honestly expect him to be gone short of an NFC Title Game appearance.
Ag Natural
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

bonfarr said:

Yup.

I wouldnt get your Hope's up. I havent seen one single thread of evidence that the FO will move on from Garrett if they make the playoffs. The team plays hard and that's the lens they will always look through. Remember the main reason Garrett got the job is because the team quit on Philips.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Ag12thman
AG
Funny thing is - Phillips had a better regular season winning percentage than Garrett now does.
Ag Natural
AG
Ag12thman said:

Funny thing is - Phillips had a better regular season winning percentage than Garrett now does.

Garrett only had the one terrible year and it started 3-0 then Romo goes down. And Wade got fired after starting what? 1-7?

The reality is he gets the guys playing hard consistently. They arent tremendously successful but by NFL standards Garrett has a good record. I get it. We want elite all the time. We will see what happens this year. I think it would take a losing record to get fired. The assertion that Garrett is a failed coach I think is premature. He hasnt proven to be a failure. He just hasnt won big. I follow the Cowboys very closely and Garrett is a lot more impactful than the average fan gives credit for. Just think about every move they've made that you believe is a good one. Garrett is part of the brain trust making those calls. Yeah I wish he more obviously a better tactician(i.e. Peyton) and I wish he gave more interesting press conferences (i.e. Tomlin). But every insider account I hear speaks to his leadership and motivational ability.
Macarthur
ApachePilot said:

Heard on the radio today that Dak and the cowboys are only 10-14 against teams with winning records since Dak started. Think they said 6 of those 10 wins came his rookie season. That surprised me.

I think this is a very misleading stat. First, are they counting the record when they played the Cowboys or the teams record at the end of the season.

It might surprise some that Rodgers is 17-26 since 2012 against teams that finished the season with winning records.

W-L is not a QB stat. There are just too many variables that go into winning and losing games.
Grapesoda2525
Ag Natural said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

bonfarr said:

Yup.

I wouldnt get your Hope's up. I havent seen one single thread of evidence that the FO will move on from Garrett if they make the playoffs. The team plays hard and that's the lens they will always look through. Remember the main reason Garrett got the job is because the team quit on Philips.
One could argue that Phillips never got a fair shot. Remember.......Jerruh hired garrett as offensive coordinator before bringing Phillips onboard. That never happens in the NFL.
Danny Vermin
I did too but you can see his name and people have quoted him.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
y'all are grown men, right?
BenFiasco14
AG
I've had him on ignore for weeks. It's been bliss. Chuckle every time I see the sign.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

ApachePilot said:

Heard on the radio today that Dak and the cowboys are only 10-14 against teams with winning records since Dak started. Think they said 6 of those 10 wins came his rookie season. That surprised me.

I think this is a very misleading stat. First, are they counting the record when they played the Cowboys or the teams record at the end of the season.

It might surprise some that Rodgers is 17-26 since 2012 against teams that finished the season with winning records.

W-L is not a QB stat. There are just too many variables that go into winning and losing games.

You can make A LOT of money as a coach or QB by beating the bad teams and going close to .500 against the good ones.
ApachePilot
AG
[You may not be trying to talk smack, but it sometimes comes off that way. Might want to stick to other threads as we usually allow one thread for discussion by fans of the team, so you are somewhat out of place; either that, or tread more carefully--Staff]
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
A familiar name for NFC special teams player of the week this week - Dan Bailey

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/09/dan-bailey-named-nfc-special-teams-player-of-the-week-2/
jr15aggie
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

A familiar name for NFC special teams player of the week this week - Dan Bailey

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/09/dan-bailey-named-nfc-special-teams-player-of-the-week-2/

...and then they told me, thanks for all you've done, but we're going to go with Brett Maher instead of you!

Macarthur
In fairness, Bailey's wheels were way off and deserved to be gone. Good for him he's gotten his wheels back on, but he was bad.

PatAg
AG
Macarthur said:

In fairness, Bailey's wheels were way off and deserved to be gone. Good for him he's gotten his wheels back on, but he was bad.

I think you will see that he was still performing at the level of Maher, except with a an all-pro level track record and coming off an injury. I agree that Bailey had an extended period where he just wasnt good enough, but if you replace him its got to be with someone you KNOW is better. Maher was a nobody
Macarthur
I think Maher needs to be replaced. His slump has gone on well into last season.

However, I think you forget that Maher was great for the first bit he was here.
PatAg
AG
They announced our official starting Offensive Line today...woof
TexasAggiesWin
S
PatAg said:

They announced our official starting Offensive Line today...woof

I know the Boys are playing the Jets today, but still... You have to wonder what Dak and Zeke thinks being behind that group
Grapesoda2525
Vikings ahead of Philly by several scores. Should be able to gain some ground with a win.

No excuse not to win today. This jets team is awful.
Ag Natural
AG
I was worried about the Jets. Their defense is good and we are missing a lot of guys on offense. Plus they get Darnald back today so the offense will have some hope.
Silvertaps
AG
bonfarr said:

I'll add some conspiracy theory...Cowboys didn't renew Garrett's contract after last year, then within the same month Stoops announced as Dallas XFL coach. Could the Jones be playing with the idea?
Silvertaps
AG
Dp
MSCAg
AG
Good thing we resigned Zek and attached ourselves to a monster deal for a running back.
mncag
The schedule is tough from here. When the new coach comes in probably next week or after the Eagles game, maybe he can light a spark and can get them to 500 but this is not a playoff team anymore.

I think the problem mostly lies in Garrett approach to the game and offense. But the defense was highly overrated they lost too many players they're average at best
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.