*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,096 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People need to stop looking at teams as a sum of assets. Dez was an asset but doesn't fit on a winning team. WRS are over valued in general.
The Shank Ag
Time to trade back out of 19, hopefully the Patriots will bite and we pick up 23 and 43

Draft both LB and WR at 23 and 43

Trade 50 and 137 to Seahawks for Earl Thomas

Defensive Tackle or Guard at 81

jr15aggie
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

You think he was worth the $12+MM that we would have had to pay this year?
I have a couple answers for that:

1. Unless we use the money saved (anybody know the net savings to the cap) to get a player or two that makes our team better, who cares what it saves us in 2017. Money is not the issue, it's the cap space. I'm not convinced our team will be better with Dez Bryant not on it next year. So to answer "worth it", I have to see how we use the money saved. And for that I'm willing to be patient and see what happens.

2. Last year alone, no he wasn't worth it. But going back to the beginning of the contract when he was making pro-bowls, 1300+ yards, 16 TDs, etc.... hell yeah he was. So yeah, he played up to his contract and was worth it. It appears the Cowboys projected he would no longer play to that level though.

Overall I'm OK with the move. It's a gamble just like every other player release / acquisition. I do like that they are done holding on to guys who can't match their $ value (Tyrone Crawford needs to be next). In recent years we have drafted pretty well so I like the youth movement.
jr15aggie
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Time to trade back out of 19, hopefully the Patriots will bite and we pick up 23 and 43

Don't think you can count on all that happening, but a trade with the Patriots has been discussed plenty. They lost both starting OTs who played in the Super Bowl. The good news for Cowboys fans is that there a couple solid prospects here and it's very possible all of them will still be on the board when it's Dallas's pick... we are hoping 4 or 5 QBs get drafted ahead of us and push other prospects down.

DJ Moore is a name that has been rising up a lot (even if we stood still at 19). I'd love to trade back to 23 and still get a guy we wanted at 19.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't see how we are better by cutting dez and having $8 million more to spend. But it will obviously depend on what we do with the $8 million in extra cap space. Hope they prove me wrong.
The Shank Ag
The bottom line, fair or not, is Dak is not equipped to make the throws to Dez that Tony was (small windows, jump balls, etc).

The team has decided Dak is the golden goose. He is effective, limits turnovers, and is cheap. Dez was never going to put up those numbers with Dakota as the QB.

So if you can save money and start the rebuild of the WR corps a year earlier, why not? Draft a good young route runner. I would like Kirk, but I know a lot of people don't think he's a true x wideout. Not sold on Sutton, and don't want to trade up to get Ridley, so Washington in the 2nd seems like the best bet if we don't take kirk... or Moore who I feel has a high ceiling but also a low floor.
MooreTrucker
AG
Macarthur said:

TheCougarHunter said:

Clown. Show.
Why?
Knee jerk reaction to anything to do with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones.

Radio today was talking about the idea that Romo made Dez what he is, that they just clicked, and that he and Dak couldn't get on the same page.That's why the big drop off last year.

ETA - same thoughts as Shank. Didn't see that before I posted.
HouseDivided06
AG
1. I can understand that, but I think it is about more than just money. I think they are done with the distraction and frustration they have with him. You can be dramatic and demonstrative when you are making 75+ catches for 1,000+ yards and 9+ tds. But when you act like that after being out 2 seasons in a row for extended time, show up to camp out of shape, don't get checked out when you think you have tendinitis, etc, then you have worn out your welcome. The money is important but I think it is about more than the money.

2. Granted, yes, he was a top 10 WR at that point. But ever since his franchised year, he has had crap stats and battled injury. Was he worth his first contracts? Yes, and then some. Has he been worth the 5 year $70MM contract? Nope. Just his time. He could return to have a bad ass season, or he could continue down his path of decreasing productivity.
MooreTrucker
AG
Don't they have a handler/babysitter following him around, too?
HouseDivided06
AG
Used to. I think that ended before his franchise year, around the last year of his rookie contract.

Also interesting statistical article on Dez (not related to you Moore but since I am already posting...) that shows that Dak's QB rating actually goes DOWN when he targets Dez.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dak-prescott-should-start-ignoring-dez-bryant/
Amazing Moves
MountainAg99 said:

I guess you forget the clown show that was the late 90s and early 2000's.

I am much happier with the decisions they are making lately with Stephen and Will McClay.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Yep. Every year there's a handful of stand outs that get drafted, this year is no exception:

Ridley
Sutton
Moore
Kirk

All will be pretty good. They got their eyes on one of these guys..
Amazing Moves
The Shank Ag said:

I like your thinking. However, the Cowboys need a guard pretty bad if they want to resemble the 16' offense. 81 is not gonna provide that. Will Hernandez would be my pick at 23.
Ag Natural
AG
I'll bet money the Cowboys trade up and not back. They currently have too many picks. Now maybe they pick at 19 and then trade up on the second round. Either way, my bet is they don't draft 10 guys.
HouseDivided06
AG
Isn't the thinking that Collins potentially moves back to G and the FA pickup (Flemings?) moves to RT? Would be a stout OL with that.
jr15aggie
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

1. I can understand that, but I think it is about more than just money. I think they are done with the distraction and frustration they have with him.

On this point you might be right (none of us really know). But I'll add to it... it would have been really really difficult to get younger / better at WR with Dez still in the way. Same reason we had to get Brandon Carr out of the way, gotta let the young guys play!

jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

I'll bet money the Cowboys trade up and not back. They currently have too many picks. Now maybe they pick at 19 and then trade up on the second round. Either way, my bet is they don't draft 10 guys.

Completely agree... we are NOT drafting 10 guys.

I still say we can move back in the 1st though. I think they'd like to do that if possible and then do a lot of moving in the 2nd & 3rd rounds and get the guys they are really sold on. They could walk away with 3 or 4 starters really easily if they get the right guys.

Either way I'm more excited to see what happens in the draft now. As much as I want to think they are really zero'd in on a WR at 19, I'm still looking at that gaping hole at LB knowing we at least have capable players at WR. There are a lot of ways to get it done!
PooDoo
AG
Gil Brant was on Sirius yesterday saying to expect this to be the most exciting draft in history.
Now, I don't know if he was talking about the actual moves and picks or that Jerry was going to put on a show overall.
. . .
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dallas has 10 picks in this draft. They need to be trading up, not down. Impact players.
Street_Cred_Norm
There is no doubt , because the draft is here, they will make some huge splash at the draft.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
PooDoo
AG
Will anyone be surprised if Dez signs with a rival and the missing video surfaces?
DannyDuberstein
AG
If they play, you can count on Dez being so worked up that he's out of gas and useless before the 1Q is over.

And those comments just highlight how his pain in the ass factor is incredibly high for what he actually produces. The incredibly high number of completely ineffective targets to him handcuffed this entire offense. But you know he's the type that will never shut the **** up about needing to get more targets.
gigem1223
I fear the Boys have now shown their cards before the draft. I just hope we don't panic and trade up to get Ridley now due to need. Only players I would trade up to get in the first is Roquan and Derwin. Stay put and take bpa or trade down, then ship 50 to Seattle for Thomas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Those comments also highlight the problem with Jerry. When the owner is developing personal relationships with players and then making it clear that the leadership in the organization is not speaking with one voice, that is complete ;dysfunction.
Vince Blake
Total guess...but at this point I am assuming the pick will be DJ Moore (Ridley will be gone) followed by a trade up for an O Lineman, which I am going to guess is James Daniels (C/G from Iowa). They are bringing in quite a few 1-2 round O linemen for private visits.
PooDoo
AG
DJ Moore... wow he good
PatAg
AG
I always liked Dez, but at this point in his career and trajectory, I'm totally fine with this. He just can't out athlete players anymore, and doesnt have route running skills to fall back on. He and Tony are both forever robbed by the "non catch" and its a damn shame. That should be one of those plays you remember forever, and never get tired of talking about or seeing highlights of.

Same for Josh Hamilton's one legged go ahead homer in Game 6...nelson f'ing cruz
jr15aggie
AG
Don't be so sure WR in the 1st. Sure it's highly possible, but they did at least cover themselves in free agency already. Plus there are really good 2nd round products.

LB is the one spot we literally don't have enough bodies, specifically MLB (unless you want to take a huge gamble that Jaylon is ready to start).

It will ultimately come down to who they really like. If they think Moore is the next franchise WR then he'll be the pick.
PooDoo
AG
PatAg said:

Same for Josh Hamilton's one legged go ahead homer in Game 6...nelson f'ing cruz

Hey, that loss is all on Ron Washington. Should've made a defense sub but he wanted Cruz to be able to celebrate on the field with the team.
PooDoo
AG
Also in case anyone missed Dez's interview with Jane Slater...

Want to guess the Garrett guys?
Deion was on with Screamin' A Smith and said Dez and TO were released from the Cowboys because they are outspoken black men.
PooDoo
AG
This is going to be the year Garrett rallies and proves he's the HC for the job or he'll be fired.
He's probably already lost a large portion of the locker room.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Maybe instead of calling everyone else out, he should have been working on not being the most ineffective wr target in the league and not leading the league in drops.
BMX Bandit
If Garrett loses the team because a player that needed to be cut was cut, then the players that are lost also need to be shown the door
PooDoo
AG
That's my point. If he can't rally the team it's pretty obvious he's not the coach for the job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.