*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,076 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
Amazing Moves
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need a safety pretty bad. With the WR signings, we shouldn't take one in the draft. Focus on Defense and a Guard.
gigem1223
TPOS Michael Bennett indicted on a felony charge. Should fit right in on Philly. Will probably get a slap on the wrist from Goodell.
gigem1223
Still think (hope) we'll trade down and pick up more picks. Lots of quality safeties, LBs and WRs to be had in the 2nd rd.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Hurns is a Dez complement, not a replacement. Different skill set. He's definitely an upgrade over body catch Baylor and can also play in the slot.
TheCougarHunter
AG
They also need to find a way to Hines the RB from N.C. state with one of their later picks.
. . .
Also signed OT Cameron Fleming.

gigem1223
Now we're getting better! Love the Fleming and Hurns signings. Looks like Collins is moving back to LG and gives us options at swing tackle if injuries happen again next year.
jr15aggie
AG
I hadn't heard Collins was possibly moving back. He played dang well by the end of the season at tackle. I was under the impression the cowboys were not going to let tackle depth be a problem this year and that's what we signed another.

I'd like to think we could find a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round that we could plug and play.
gigem1223
If we signed Fleming to sit on the bench I'd be highly disappointed. Fleming is a better tackle than Collins at the point.
gigem1223
Now adding Marcus Martin. Depth is definitely not going to be an issue for this OL.
jr15aggie
AG
Well depth was certainly a problem last year... Apparently this team is not going to let it effect Dak and Zeke again this year. It's a legitimate strategy!

Sure is looking like the draft is gonna be defense and more defense!
duck79
AG
The Fleming signing is also a much better insurance policy if Smith's back causes him to miss time
Amazing Moves
duck79 said:

The Fleming signing is also a much better insurance policy if Smith's back causes him to miss time
Hopefully he has addressed it with Tiger Wood's new doctor.
jr15aggie
AG
Reading now (like it was said above) that Collins move back to LG seems likely with Fleming in the mix. That's surprising to me... he was playing really well at the end of the season.

I guess it's more about getting the best guys on the field. Wish they would quit moving guys around so much, but I definitely don't have a problem with Collins, he plays a pretty salty OG too. We also re-signed Looney (plays OG & C). So our rotation/depth is looking pretty good. Lots of guys that can play multiple positions which is good. Hopefully our starting 5 stay relatively healthy and they are dominant again!
Ag Natural
AG
I was wondering if they'd consider moving Travis to RT to justify the new contract numbers we are hearing.
. . .
David Moore said:

Stephen Jones said club didn't sign Allen Hurns to replace Bryant. Said Cowboys still need to talk to Bryant about his contract. Hasn't done that yet. Also left door open to take WR in first round of draft.

Stephen Jones said WR Terrance Williams suffered an offseason injury that could force him to miss some time in OTAs. He refused to disclose nature of injury or if surgery required. (Broken foot that required surgery according to Todd Archer)

Stephen Jones said there have been some discussions about moving La'el Collins back to LG but no determinations yet. Will let competition play out.
jr15aggie
AG
Not sure how much they can actually discuss Dez's contract. He's making around 12 million this year base salary (the rest of his cap hit is allocated signing bonus money). What, you gonna try and get him to take a 2 million reduction? That's a 16.6% decrease in salary. And I don't care how much money you make, there isn't anybody in here that would roll over and take that kind of a hit to better help your "team".

I just don't think there is anything there. And in Dez's mind, if it's just business, let Dallas cut him... he'll just go out and sign a similar deal and, guess what, he'll also get another signing bonus for his trouble.

IMO, Dez has zero reason to negotiate with Dallas. Let this year play out... if it's more of the same we can cut him after next season and save around 12.5 on the cap.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Not sure how much they can actually discuss Dez's contract. He's making around 12 million this year base salary (the rest of his cap hit is allocated signing bonus money). What, you gonna try and get him to take a 2 million reduction? That's a 16.6% decrease in salary. And I don't care how much money you make, there isn't anybody in here that would roll over and take that kind of a hit to better help your "team".

I just don't think there is anything there. And in Dez's mind, if it's just business, let Dallas cut him... he'll just go out and sign a similar deal and, guess what, he'll also get another signing bonus for his trouble.

IMO, Dez has zero reason to negotiate with Dallas. Let this year play out... if it's more of the same we can cut him after next season and save around 12.5 on the cap.
Well except for the fact the offense is worse when he's out there.
gigem1223
Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

Sure he had a bad year last year but you can't possibly think that?
jr15aggie
AG
Remember when Cowboy fans were calling for Randall Cunningham to play over Aikman!? Yeah, NFL fans aren't the brightest when it comes to evaluating players on a week by week / year by year basis.

I'm included in that group by the way.
Ag Natural
AG
gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

It's in the numbers. Dez demands the ball and nobody wants to deal with him so they oblige. They force the ball into Dez and Dez doesn't deliver. So yeah, I believe the team would be better without him. I don't care about cap savings as much as I care about winning.
MooreTrucker
AG
gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

From ramblin-ag on page 3:

Quote:

FiveThirtyEight did a great piece about this last year. Almost 100% of Dak's statistical regression last year was due to Dez being bad. The Cowboys featured Dez more, and Dez performed worse. Dak's passer rating throwing to Dez was in the 50's. Throwing to everyone else combined it was in the high 90's. At least last year, we were a worse offense statistically with him getting any attention at all. This for a guy making top 5 money at his position.
gigem1223
He had a bad year, it happens. The entire offense had a bad year. The OL was way overrated and underperformed, Dak regressed, Beasley was non-existent, Zeke was suspended and Linehan refused to adjust. Laying this all on the feet of Dez is foolish. This offense can not get back to what it was in 2016 with out Dez, much less be better. Even when he's not making plays, the defense is still very aware of him and he dictates a lot of coverages.
Ag Natural
AG
Guys getting paid that much don't get the luxury of having a down year especially when they become a huge distraction when you don't feed them the ball.

This offense would have been better with someone else last year. They'd be better next year with someone else. There are 3 WRS in the whole league who make a difference and he's not one.
BMX Bandit
If 2018 Dez is like 2000 Aikman, Cowboys are in deep doo-doo
gigem1223
Ag Natural said:

Guys getting paid that much don't get the luxury of having a down year especially when they become a huge distraction when you don't feed them the ball.

After seeing the contracts for Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins, I wouldn't say his contract is that bad. If he has a bounce back year, it's a bargain to what he could get in the open market. You're knee-jerking. If he has a bad year this year, sure....cut him but one year? That's not smart business.

You'd think the franchises all-time leading TD reception leader, whose not even 30, would get more of a pass....

Just curious though, why is no one calling for Witten's head? Is he not overpaid?
ac04
witten just restructured
gigem1223
Kicked the can down the road. Still gotta pay him.

If I recall correctly, Cutting Witten this year could have saved over $7M off the cap.
BMX Bandit
At Witten's cap figure this year, he's not overpaid.

Next year likely a different story.
jr15aggie
AG
BMX Bandit said:

At Witten's cap figure this year, he's not overpaid.

Next year likely a different story.
Yeah, not from a cap standpoint cause he reduced his current salary and he got a nice check in his back pocket for his troubles. But it does now put dead money into play if we release him in upcoming years. But the good news is it isn't that bad. If we have to cut him next year we'd have around 3 mil in dead money, but the cap hit with him on the team is over 7... so cutting him would technically still be a net positive for the cap.
Southlake
Witten should have been cut this year. I hate to say it, but he was marginally effective and now he's another year older.
jr15aggie
AG
Artical on cowboys.com about Randy Gregory... Completely forgot about that guy. Sounds like the cowboys have a very small percentage of hope, but I guess anything is possible.

They have his rights. No reason not to hang on and see what happens.
PooDoo
AG
He's just 24-25. Be nice if his story has a happy ending.
PatAg
AG
Southlake said:

Witten should have been cut this year. I hate to say it, but he was marginally effective and now he's another year older.

There are plenty of articles with stays showing he was performing at at least league average. So he is actually earning his contract still.
jr15aggie
AG
Brice Butler to AZ. We already knew he wouldn't be back considering the other WR signings. I've even started to wonder about Ryan Switzer. He did a couple really nice things last year, but he's far from untouchable considering a couple big mistakes he made and the lack of consistency.

Pretty sure one of our WR signings is also a solid return man. Combine that with a strong WR draft class and Switzer might become the odd man out come August.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.