*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,091 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
dvldog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Leonard Davis?
Mozart Paintings
AG
He was pretty good
gigem1223
Well... it's official. 82 retiring.
98Ag99Grad
AG
yeah that's an unexpected loss. $4mil per year to watch football versus getting your head bashed in is hard to pass-up though.
jr15aggie
AG
MNF is iconic, if he said no that ship probably sales (they'd have to hire somebody else for next year). It was the right move, but no doubt he wasn't ready to leave the game yet otherwise.

Good for him... most importantly the guy walks away as healthy as possible into an absolutely incredible job!

PS: Hey Wit, it's OK to be a little bit of a Dallas homer when you call our games. No reason to find negative things to say about the Cowboys just to prove otherwise... own it, and then enjoy it!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, it's an opportunity that likely won't be there in a year, although I'm sure something would come along.

That said, with a football career, I'm also a believer in the saying that once you start thinking about retirement, you pretty much are retired and need to go ahead and hang it up. When it became a decision that takes 4-5 days to make, the right answer became clear.
Ag Natural
AG
Man there are a lot of former Cowboys in prominent national media roles now. Witten, Aikman, Moose, Romo, Irvin, Woody and Deion (if we count him as a cowboy still)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ag Natural said:

Man there are a lot of former Cowboys in prominent national media roles now. Witten, Aikman, Moose, Romo, Irvin, Woody and Deion (if we count him as a cowboy still)
and Babe and Jimmy
jr15aggie
AG
Man, watching the retirement ceremony I was getting choked up a bit. Good stuff, he was / is one of the greats. What he is on the field, in the community... what a man! He's certainly no deity and he surely has many faults, but you gotta admire the gumption he uses when he wakes up every morning.

Thanks Wit, it was fun!
Panama Red
AG
Is Cowboys TE group the worst in the league?

ac04
yes, definitely. we are hoping a guy with 0 career catches is past his apparently very serious concussion issues so he can be our best TE. i hope they sign gates. not that he has much left in the tank, but i think he'd be the TE1 for sure.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm not gonna diminish the loss of Witten, but it's funny how certain fans (no finger pointing) have been calling him a liability for 4 years... And now that he's gone the narrative changes to "we're screwed!"

Our guy in the 4th round is hardly chopped liver. Unproven, but just as much reason to hope he contributes vs. the reality that he'll be a rough around the edges rookie.

After that, we've got some guys that have been in the league and the possibility of signing a vet. With our oline, deep receiving corps, our RB, and our promising QB, if TE is our Achilles heel, then our real problem is the guys running practice and calling the plays!
bonfarr
AG
ac04 said:

yes, definitely. we are hoping a guy with 0 career catches is past his apparently very serious concussion issues so he can be our best TE. i hope they sign gates. not that he has much left in the tank, but i think he'd be the TE1 for sure.

Why do people keep bringing up Rico as the guy expected to fill the gap with Witten gone? I see it repeated on here a bunch but when I read the Cowboys blogs with scout and coach comments Rico is barely in the conversation. He has yet to prove he can make the active roster so no idea why anyone would say we are expecting him to be out best tight end.

The insider reports I read say our coaches talk about Blake Jarwin being the guy they think will improve the most from last year to next.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
bonfarr
AG
Julius Thomas is available, the Fins released him in March. He had 41 catches last year, ok but not good enough for his $6.5 million salary. If we could get him on a cheaper 2 year deal with not much guaranteed I would take him. He is 29 years old vs Gates' 38.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
ac04
how could i possibly forget about blake jarwin
PooDoo
AG
How do you feel about Wane McGarity?
PooDoo
AG
JJT posted this interview with McClay on his Facebook page.

http://www.kesn1033.com/j-dub-city-cowboys-vp-of-player-personnel-will-mcclay/#.WunLTPsnW4o.facebook
tailgatetimer10
AG
I know Bennett is claimed retired, but would he be a viable option if needed?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't think so. Things didn't go well or end well here, and I think there is some resentment toward JG for it. So I'm not sure it would be that appealing to him to leave retirement for, and I'm not sure how things would go. At least there would be no Witten here for him to play 2nd fiddle to, which seemed to be the main issue the first time. But I still think neither side is really interested in trying it.
MooreTrucker
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Ag Natural said:

and Babe and Jimmy
America's Team, baby!!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
bonfarr said:

Julius Thomas is available, the Fins released him in March. He had 41 catches last year, ok but not good enough for his $6.5 million salary. If we could get him on a cheaper 2 year deal with not much guaranteed I would take him. He is 29 years old vs Gates' 38.

Interesting thought. Hes had a hard time staying healthy but I agree we should kick the tires if hes willing to take on a reasonable salary.
Panama Red
AG
jr15aggie said:

After that, we've got some guys that have been in the league and the possibility of signing a vet. With our oline, deep receiving corps, our RB, and our promising QB, if TE is our Achilles heel, then our real problem is the guys running practice and calling the plays!
Is "deep" a euphemism for "lots of guys that are not very good"?
PatAg
AG
Panama Red said:

jr15aggie said:

Is "deep" a euphemism for "lots of guys that are not very good"?
Some people are just always in spin mode. They are also usually the people that drastically overreact during the game, and after any loss or win.
jr15aggie
AG
I think your use of "not very good" is a bit of a reach on the negative Nancy side of the equation. Cole Beasley is a good WR and so is Hurns. Throw in T-Will and you have a perfectly fine starting 3.

After that you have a 3rd round WR pick that most experts are very high on. You've got two speedsters in Thompson & Austin and you've got a 2nd year project player in Noah Brown (throw in Lance Lenoir too if you want).

Not sure what your point is. It's a DEEP group of WRs. We are lacking a true #1 guy, but that doesn't mean you should immediately discount them as not any good.

But it's all opinions. We'll find out soon enough (week 1), but I can't wait for the camp stories about how Hurns and Gallup can't be covered and how Beasley looks quicker than ever!!! Nothing like cold Kool-aide in the middle of summer!
ramblin_ag02
AG
I know Super Bowls aren't everything, but I can't remember the last time a team won the Super Bowl with a top tier "#1" receiver. The Eagles didn't have one last year, the Pats never won with Moss or even Cooks, the Panthers didn't have one. Seahawks didn't either. Maybe the Broncos, but Von won that Super Bowl for them.

Just starting to think that primadonna WR1 that constantly demand the ball seem don't seem to win a lot of rings. I think it's better to throw the ball to the open guy than to try and scheme for a single WR. I'm really not worried about the lack of a best-in-the-league WR as long as our offense spreads the ball around.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, this isn't the old days. You don't need a dominant #1 to be very successful offensively. That said, I just hope the coaching staff is capable of putting it together. If they can't, it's a coaching problem vs. a personnel problem and would be time to move on.
Panama Red
AG
I'd be happy with a #2 guy.

gigem1223
When healthy, Allen Hurns is certainly a very good #2. He's proven that much.
TyHolden
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I know Bennett is claimed retired, but would he be a viable option if needed?
he's cancer...
752bro4
AG
[Norm voice] Guess what I have in my underwear?
Panama Red said:

a #2 guy.
misterguinness
AG
Brent Celek on a 1 year would be an option
BMX Bandit
jr15aggie said:

BMX Bandit said:

If he was a free agent, he would not get $16mm from anyone.

Dez get his new deal yet?
Ag Natural
AG
Supposedly he turned down 7 million from Baltimore. Methinks he should have taken that
DannyDuberstein
AG
It was supposedly similar to Crabtree's deal. 3 for $21 with about $10 guaranteed. Dez would rather take a one year, rebuild his value with a good year, and then try again.

But there is so much flawed thinking with that:
1) he's a ball-hogging complainer headache already. Usually getting a contract year guy can have some appeal, but in Dez's case, teams know they are signing up for a guy whose individual goals will be over the teams. And win or lose, if he's not getting the ball, good luck
2) can he do more than he did last year? They targeted the **** out of him and it wasn't worth much
bonfarr
AG
We all know Dez is no cerebral giant but you would think his agent could convince him of the stupidity of gambling on a 1 year deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.