*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,086 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zombie Jon Snow said:

yeah but Tavon would stick as a 7th if he also plays RB and returns kicks.

that's the depth chart imho now.... it can change through camp of course. maybe CW is legit?

Tavon will be listed as a RB not a WR, so he probably shouldn't be in the WR list.
. . .
jr15aggie
gigem1223
Ward a former 2nd rd pick. Hell yes! Now we getting some DT help.
gigem1223
Bo!
BassCowboy33
BassCowboy33 said:

PatAg said:

bonfarr said:

I wonder if Beasley is on the roster after preseason. I don't know that we can keep him and Switzer.

Austin is a good return man already. Switzer might have to prove himself more than Beasley

Switzer is one of if not the best return men in college football history. In his rookie year. He had a return for a touchdown and is being groomed as Cole Beasley's replacement when he leaves next season (or even this season). Years 2&3 are where you typically see receivers "get it" and make that jump. I'd be stunned if he's on the chopping block.

Color me stunned.
TheCougarHunter
AG
He gone
bonfarr
AG
J_R said:

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
bonfarr
AG
Switzer struggled to get involved in the offense, not surprised they found him expendable.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
gigem1223
Dallas now has a 6'5 295 and a 6'7 290 DT. I foresee some batted down passes
jr15aggie
AG
Imagine being Switzer... Chillin like a villain on Saturday... Maybe having a beer... And then your agent calls your cell phone! Damn son!

That's why you never buy a house until your second contact. Enjoy California and state taxes Switzer! Sorry bro, just business!
bonfarr
AG
Bo Scarborough in the 7th. Another big RB to go with Rod Smith.
jr15aggie
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

1. Allen Hurns - 5yrs Miami
2. Terrance Williams - 6yrs BU
3. Cole Beasley - 7yrs SMU
4. Michael Gallup - rookie CSU
5. Deonte Thompson - 6yrs. Florida
6. Ryan Switzer - 1yr UNC
7. Tavon Austin - 5yrs WVU
8. Cedrick Wilson - rookie Boise St.
9. KD Cannon - 1yr. BU
10. Noah Brown - 1yr. tOSU
11. Lance Lenoir - 1 yr. W. Ill.

FIFY
TheCougarHunter
AG
What a great pick with Scarborough!

That and the Switzer trade salvaged our day 3
Ag Natural
AG
The Cowboys may actually be figuring this thing out. They saw the same thing I saw in Switzer year one. A shifty but very limited role player. It's great to get something for him because I'm not positive he makes the team. Austin has been a bust so far but for one year he's worth the gamble and is at least as good as Switz in the return game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As Jake on the ticket said, sometimes you see early red flags in people. Like when as a team they went to the beach and Joseph Randle dove head first into 3 inches of water. And in the case of Switzer, finding out he had a lip tattoo.
BassCowboy33
bonfarr said:

Switzer struggled to get involved in the offense, not surprised they found him expendable.

He was more of an investment once Beasley is gone next year. A faster, better route runner with excellent hands. After Beasley's debacle of a 2017, I thought they might even cut ties with Beasley during training camp if he didn't show something.

They must have been really down on Switzer to give him up so early. He was a big Dez guy. I wonder if the seeds of discord had be sewn with him in that locker room.
Vince Blake
I am enamored with the potential monster battering ram of Bo and Rod!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wasn't concerned about Switzer's production at WR last year because (1) rookie WR's rarely make much impact and (2) as mentioned, the plan for his impact at WR was more for 2019, not 2017. I'm not sure this trade is all that much about Switzer other than he plays a position where they know they need to dump some talent because of #'s and he's got enough value to get some talent back
DannyDuberstein
AG
Overall, quite happy with how this draft turned out. Seemed to do well in finding value and addressing needs. Never going to get the entire wish list, but I thought they did quite well for themselves in upgrading the team across the board.
txagman1998
AG
What I want to know is can Jihad Ward give them quality snaps on the D-line?
DannyDuberstein
AG
He better, because if they just gave away Switzer for nothing, heads will roll.
jr15aggie
AG
Let's be clear... Beasley declined in 2017 because the other team bracketed him! I was a big supporter of Dez, but he wasn't the focus of the defense, Beasley was.

Not saying this year will be so much better, but we have multiple options, especially because our oline should be fixed again. Beasley is still a fantastic slot receiver, but we have to threaten the defense in other ways too.
Galborathelion
Most Raiders people seem to think Ward is downright terrible and are glad to see him gone. A lot due to injury though, and he was a 2nd round pick so maybe (hopefully) he can get a turnaround here. I'm not too upset about losing Switzer, he didn't stand out even in returns. Overall I don't think it will be much of an impact at all, trading one guy who rarely saw the field for another that probably won't either.

Also big thumbs up on grabbing Bo, I figured there would be a RB pick this year with all the talent coming out. If we don't want to run Zeke into the ground on his rookie contract, he's going to need a solid backup to help with carries.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
like the Bo pick; was surprised he fell so far.

they really addressed all needs and made no real reaches.

LB, OL, WR were the biggest needs
and also got a DT via trade, TE, RB/KR via trade and RB depth....and maybe a backup QB project

TE is the only sktchy one imho. And QB who knows. The rest ought to see contributors.

jr15aggie
AG
Overall, I'm definitely OK, if not happy right now. Traded a 4th round pick at an overly crowded position for a former 2nd rounder at a position we need depth.

Was a bit confused we didn't add a RB, but if we are really gonna us Tavon Austin as a Lance Dunbar / Tyreek Hill type player, I'm more than OK with that.

No guarantees this is gonna work out, but I've been good with the talent we've added recently (all credit to Will McClay) and I feel like we have a good plan in place with the current coaches. Very excited for our new core group of Cowboys and the 2018 season!
Aggiefanforever2012
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

and also got a DT via trade, TE, RB/KR via trade and RB depth....and maybe a backup QB project

TE is the only sktchy one imho. And QB who knows. The rest ought to see contributors.

We have no safety's. We could have had Derwin James or Earl Thomas. Now all we have is Jeff and Xavier. We have also lost Scandrick. CBs are good though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Added Bo Scarbrough. Think that was a solid value where they snagged him.
bonfarr
AG
You have no idea what Seattle wanted for Thomas or perhaps Thomas wanted too much money.
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He's tied for 4th all time in punts returned for TDs in NCAA history
Ah, I was thinking Kick Returns, didnt think about Punt Returns.
PatAg
AG
Aggiefanforever2012 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

We have no safety's. We could have had Derwin James or Earl Thomas. Now all we have is Jeff and Xavier. We have also lost Scandrick. CBs are good though.
We would have had to move up to get James though, not like we passed on him. That's my biggest concern next year, easily. I'm ok with Heath as a special teams guy, and as a backup..if he's starting consistently we are in trouble again.
Grapesoda2525
Not getting Thomas or a decent safety is my only draft disappointment.

The witten news might've affected that.

Not a fan of Heath starting back there, I hope we can get Thomas or a top notch safety in the draft next year. That position has been a weakness since Darren Woodson left.
PooDoo
AG
gigem1223
Overall a solid draft IMO. Really like the first 3 picks and the last pick. My biggest issue was taking Anderson over Watts or White in the 4th. Feel like FS was a bigger need than DE, especially considering this was the last real round to get one that could compete for a starting job day 1.
bonfarr
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Not getting Thomas or a decent safety is my only draft disappointment.

The witten news might've affected that.

Not a fan of Heath starting back there, I hope we can get Thomas or a top notch safety in the draft next year. That position has been a weakness since Darren Woodson left.

Quote:

And over those first two days of the draft they just said no to the Seattle Seahawks, who had been asking a first and third for safety Earl Thomas, and they did not want to budge on giving up either their second- or third-round picks the Seahawks were fishing for, too.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/04/28/spagnola-now-was-some-darn-smart-two-day-draft-shopping

Seahawks originally asked for a 1st and a 3rd and were rebuffed. They then asked for a 2nd and 3rd and were again told no. I don't blame the Joneses for rejecting those deals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.