*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,054 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jr15aggie said:

Caller had a great point earlier (Talking Cowboys) that I hadn't thought about regarding Earl Thomas. This assumes Seattle is only asking for a 2nd round pick...

The Cowboys have spent so many picks in the 2nd round just hoping it works out... Gregory, Jaylon, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, etc. Even if Jaylon is the man this year, we lost 2 full seasons with that 2nd rounder. Gregory is still a huge ? and Carter is currently out of football.

Why the hell are they, all of a sudden, so cautious with their 2nd rounder? He also made a good point that we gave away our 2nd & 1st to move up for Claiborne a few years ago too. But yet we won't do it for a guy that is proven to be elite.

You answered your own question.
Grapesoda2525
I guess the first game against Carolina will be a struggle?

Or still too early to say?
Rossko
AG
A couple of athletic catches doesn't make up for missed assignments in game. Sturm recently wrote an article on the Athletic regarding TEs.

$$$
https://theathletic.com/482546/2018/08/22/sorting-through-the-cowboys-tight-end-options/

Some excerpts about Gathers
Quote:

Video #1: Mike White directing Rico on where to line up prior to the play. This is circumstantial video, for sure, but of all the guys breaking the huddle, if you had to vote which one wasn't positive what the play was, you might say it is #80.

Video #2: A moment later, the play. He quite clearly runs the wrong route and plows right into Dalton Schultz. The design is a rub route where Schultz is to scrape off Gathers' man, but Rico takes either a poor angle or perhaps thinks he is the one setting the rub. Dalton's body language is one thing, but sources later confirmed it as well. #80 did not know his role on this play.

Video #3 shows the post-play dynamic as Gathers explains what he thought the play was supposed to be and Schultz corrected him (again, I am editorializing, but sources confirmed what happened pretty clearly). A moment after this video ended, he was subbed out and caught an earful from his positional coach on the sideline, Doug Nussmeier.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

I guess the first game against Carolina will be a struggle?

Or still too early to say?

Carolina can barely field an OL right now. I expect the defense to dominate.
Mozart Paintings
AG
defenses...... take the under
PooDoo
AG
Haven't heard the talk radio guys this worked up about the state of the Cowboys since they drafted Fredrick.
Old Tom Morris
So how much Dak do we see tonight?
Grapesoda2525
No dak

No zeke

No Martin

No Frederick

No smith

Waste of time tonight and Thursday.

Just a meaningless game on national TV and gullible people coming to the stadium to fill Jerruhs coffers.
Mozart Paintings
AG
I'm guessing no Collins either.

On defense I would guess no Lee
Grapesoda2525
I drove bus said:

I'm guessing no Collins either.

On defense I would guess no Lee
Teams already sustained significant injuries and decided to play it safe.

I barely watch preseason as it is so I have no issue with it.

When it's the preseason, I usually just read an article or two, look at the box score, and cross my fingers the team stays healthy.

Didn't work out so well this time around I guess.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, i don't think any key guys play either. Preseason across the NFL is headed for rock bottom.
Grapesoda2525
Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, i don't think any key guys play either. Preseason across the NFL is headed for rock bottom.
It already sucked.

It benefits the owners and maybe the rookies. Hardly anyone else.
expresswrittenconsent
Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, remember when preseason was good? Oh wait, it has always sucked.
Old Tom Morris
My point is that, as bad as it was, at some point you'd get half from the starters, and across 4 games, you'd get about a game's worth of action. Now we're down to barely a quarter across all 4. Starters only playing 2-3 series in game 2 is what we're headed for. So bad to worse.
Ag Natural
AG
Preseason isn't for the average fan. It's a tool to help the team evaluate the bottom 20% of the roster spots. Half these guys get cut and there is no minor league so these 4 "meaningless" games are basically superbowls for a good number of guys.

I personally like watching some of these.
jr15aggie
AG
Let's go Cowboys! Don't care if it's preseason... Let's do this!
jr15aggie
AG
Phil Dawson... Holy crap. I watched that guy kick for UT when I was a kid! (My dad is a sip fan and took me to games). Incredibly career!
jr15aggie
AG
No starters on offense. Lame! Feel sorry for the fans that bought tickets.
TJJackson
Gregory with the sack
TJJackson
C'mon Byron
TMACsDaMan
What a brain fart by Jones
jr15aggie
AG
F yeah Randy!

The Byron Jones thing I can forgive. Live and learn for preseason. Jones has been nails at CB. ****ty punt... I'm not mad at him.
TJJackson
Upon seeing the replay, it looks like it was just one of those deals. Jones was trying to set a block and didn't know the punt had drifted over where he was.
jr15aggie
AG
leakypipes said:

Upon seeing the replay, it looks like it was just one of those deals. Jones was trying to set a block and didn't know the punt had drifted over where he was.

Yeah and the punt was ass my dude.

Now, who the hell just got hurt. Friggin A. Last thing we need.
MooreTrucker
AG
jr15aggie said:

No starters on offense. Lame! Feel sorry for the fans that bought tickets.
Eh, it's preseason. Fans who came to this game did so for the experience and timing (and cost), and know not to expect much if any starters playing.

And y'all that are complaining about it are not noobs, I hope, and understand this also, so stop whining.
Old Tom Morris
jr15aggie said:

Phil Dawson... Holy crap. I watched that guy kick for UT when I was a kid! (My dad is a sip fan and took me to games). Incredibly career!

LOL. I played against him (i went to Plano). He was a grade younger than me.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah but 3rd game is usually the dress rehearsal.
MooreTrucker
AG
jr15aggie said:

Yeah but 3rd game is usually the dress rehearsal.
Not with the injuries and limited playing "protection" rules and such. Sadly.
Old Tom Morris
For a number of years, this has been the dress rehearsal game where starters would play a half. So as bad as preseason football can be, starters skipping this one entirely like it's game #4 is a change. So you can save the noob insults

Edit - already covered, i guess.
jr15aggie
AG
Man! I really LOVE what I see from this defense! And Sean Lee hasn't even played.

If healthy, they are gonna be legit!
TJJackson
Rush hasn't looked very good imo this preseason.
TJJackson
jr15aggie said:

Man! I really LOVE what I see from this defense! And Sean Lee hasn't even played.

That's the thing, the defensive starters are legit. If there is a rash of injuries, this defense will get bad in a hurry.
jr15aggie
AG
leakypipes said:

jr15aggie said:

That's the thing, the defensive starters are legit. If there is a rash of injuries, this defense will get bad in a hurry.

No. We have depth. At certain positions, like any other team, it could suck... But we look really good all things considered.

No team has 3 deep at all positions.
jr15aggie
AG
Frazier with the injury... Can we get ET here already!
TMACsDaMan
God's team is The Dallas Cowboys...God wants to see ET in a Cowboys Jersey this year...how many more safeties need to be sacrificed?!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.