*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,059 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOL at the butthurt crew of Fox4 News. Jerry tells them just before tonight's interview that he's done answering questions about the anthem because it's beating a dead horse. Doocy gets butthurt and declines the interview entirely. Then fox4 spends the broadcast describing what happened; and the real kicker is that they then give us a monologue lecturing about how unfortunate it is that everyone isn't talking about football and is talking about the anthem. WTF???? Jerry is the one trying to move on and YOU are the one stuck on it? LOL
CoppellAg93
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

LOL at the butthurt crew of Fox4 News. Jerry tells them just before tonight's interview that he's done answering questions about the anthem because it's beating a dead horse. Doocy gets butthurt and declines the interview entirely. Then fox4 spends the broadcast describing what happened; and the real kicker is that they then give us a monologue lecturing about how unfortunate it is that everyone isn't talking about football and is talking about the anthem. WTF???? Jerry is the one trying to move on and YOU are the one stuck on it? LOL
Doocy's issue wasn't that Jerry wouldn't talk about the anthem - it was that they told him 1 minute before the interview what the stipulations were. From what everyone is saying about this, that usually happens hours or even several days before an interview normally takes place.

Keep in mind too that Jerry has repeatedly brought up the subject lately and now wants to quit talking about it when he basically made it national news all week.

I think Doocy was a bit over-dramatic but I don't blame him for ditching the interview.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It keeps coming up because people like Doocy keeping asking about it. Jerry also spends training camp doing a million interviews left and right. In that environment, complaining about notice is ridiculous IMO. So Doocy didn't get enough notice to not continue to beat the dead horse. Big deal. Jerry could have just stoned the question mid-interview. It's not like Jerry had agreed to a 1 hour Barbara Walters special. It's a brief, 5 minute sit down
jr15aggie
AG
All I know is I respect the way the Jones's are going about the anthem and how they treat their players. So often people try to be wishy-washy on these sorts of things (trying to be PC and not hurt anybodies feelings) but it ends up being more divisive than anything.

The Jones treat their players like family off the field and on the field it's business. They (the Jones's) have stated very plainly that they believe when you work for somebody you follow their rules. In this case, their rules say toes on the line standing for the Anthem looking professional.

That's it. No reason to get political, no reason to say anything other than that. It's a very old school / common sense way of thinking about employer/employee relationship and there's nothing to debate. Good stuff IMO!
bonfarr
AG
What was this Dooky guy hoping to accomplish by taking his ball and going home? Was that supposed to piss off Jerry or hurt the Cowboys image? Was the guy so Ill prepared he couldn't come up with new questions not related to the anthem?

Is it just me or are more and more media types full of themselves these days?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree with jraggie. When you're playing for Jerry's Cowboys, in Jerry's stadium, standing on the field wearing the uniform he provided, and collecting a paycheck with Jerry's signature on it, you're going to follow Jerry's rules. And one of those perfectly reasonable rules is that he wants his team respect the anthem. I absolutely respect that policy. There is nothing ambiguous or unfair about that approach. If you don't like it, ATT Stadium has lots of doors. Just leave the uniform before ya go.

And to the last post, the media is made of two groups these days - entertainers and activists (Doocy would be the former). Making a big deal of nothing is something to grab attention, which both of those groups adore. This is a 5 minute cheapie interview that happens a thousand times at training camp. No need to flip out because there is a non-football topic he doesn't want to talk about.
jr15aggie
AG
Been listening to Cowboys talk in the background at work, so halfway listening. Few things I've picked up on:

Connor Williams has apparently fit in VERY well with the O-line. Playing really well and the group is looking pretty nasty. And they better, that's where we've put our money!

The WR group getting praise. Saying with all the talk about how that's suppose to be the weakest link on paper, they are out there playing ball / making plays.

The D-line needs help. Makes it worse considering who they are going up against, but with Irving & Collins both out they are short handed both in numbers and talent. They say Taco really passes the eyeball test this year, physically much more impressive build after a year in a NFL workout program. And he hasn't even started practicing yet, but I bet Randy Gregory sneaks on this team with Irving being out to start the season. Nothing to back this up other than a gut feeling and the fact that he showed up in shape & ready to go.
bonfarr
AG
I read an article with comments from beat writers from the Seahawks and Cowboys and both claim a deal for ET will get done.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
gigem1223
They really need a DT. The Irving suspension and Collins on the PUP really puts them in a bind there.
PooDoo
AG

You know Jerry didn't want to risk pulling his toupee off with his hat.
Macarthur
Dale is right.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Dale is right.
I don't agree. I see his point, I really do. But it all goes back to the fact that all these "feelings" aren't debatable here. Who's the boss? Jerry. What the boss wants, the boss gets. If he is OK with pot smokers on the team but will kick out somebody who doesn't follow team protocol for the anthem... well, he's the boss.

We all put up with crap we think is dumb at work. And as a business owner, believe me, I put up with the same issues whether it be client demands or gov't rules/regulations.

A weak boss that let's overly emotional employees set the rules will have his business fail. You treat them well, care for them and pay them well, then there shouldn't be any discussion when they are asked to fall in line. If they don't, well, then you got yourself a stubborn & selfish employee... sometimes you gotta do something about that.

Point being, if the team loses focus over this whole issue and can't win because they prefer to jump on the SJW band wagon instead of playing football... sorry, that's on the players. Bunch of guys making 6-8 figures a year... when it's time to work it's time to work!
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

They really need a DT. The Irving suspension and Collins on the PUP really puts them in a bind there.
Agreed, they do, but the good news is a lack of DT shouldn't hold us back the way a lack of DE or CB would. The biggest downside is that poor Tyrone Crawford might get pulled back inside, especially on passing downs. Talk about a guy that was never allowed to stay at one spot... all he's done his entire career is move positions to help the team.
Southlake
And now poor Dak is getting reamed in the fallout.

He's a quality guy and his comments are being taken out of context. I guess JJ is untouchable so the media is skewering Dak. Stephen Jones and his ESPN Boyz are now blaming JJ for throwing Dak under the bus? Ridiculous.

"No comment" should be the answer to any media question that has anything to do with the Anthem.

(Of course I agree with Dak)
DannyDuberstein
AG
This whole thing is idiocracy in action. Pathetic.
jr15aggie
AG
Link? I've only heard whispers about Dak and the anthem, is it getting full media attention or just social media?

What I heard is Dak being called an Uncle Tom . So if Dak were white I guess that'd make him a racist instead?

The only way to win is to not play... "no comment" anything slightly controversial is the only real answer (and that's sad).
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

Dale is right.
I don't agree. I see his point, I really do. But it all goes back to the fact that all these "feelings" aren't debatable here. Who's the boss? Jerry. What the boss wants, the boss gets. If he is OK with pot smokers on the team but will kick out somebody who doesn't follow team protocol for the anthem... well, he's the boss.

We all put up with crap we think is dumb at work. And as a business owner, believe me, I put up with the same issues whether it be client demands or gov't rules/regulations.

A weak boss that let's overly emotional employees set the rules will have his business fail. You treat them well, care for them and pay them well, then there shouldn't be any discussion when they are asked to fall in line. If they don't, well, then you got yourself a stubborn & selfish employee... sometimes you gotta do something about that.

Point being, if the team loses focus over this whole issue and can't win because they prefer to jump on the SJW band wagon instead of playing football... sorry, that's on the players. Bunch of guys making 6-8 figures a year... when it's time to work it's time to work!

Huh? Feelings?

It's blatant hipocracy and, frankly, pretty freaking stupid.

Are you telling me what Kap did is worse than what Greg Hardy did?
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

Link? I've only heard whispers about Dak and the anthem, is it getting full media attention or just social media?

What I heard is Dak being called an Uncle Tom . So if Dak were white I guess that'd make him a racist instead?

The only way to win is to not play... "no comment" anything slightly controversial is the only real answer (and that's sad).

He's only half racist.
Ag Natural
AG
I've heard several in the media give Dak credit for descalating the issue. I guess I don't listen to some of the blow hards.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some shyster is suing Zeke for $1 million over the measly fender bender from January 2017 - one in which police reported no injuries. People suck.
PooDoo
AG
Mo money mo problems

That's what happens when you can afford insurance
jr15aggie
AG
Mac, you're a good poster here. Think I am too. I won't adamantly disagree with you on this topic, nor will I completely agree with you either.

Safe to say that these are sensitive issues. Me personally, I just want to watch and enjoy football. I get pulled into these discussions too, but the reality is, it's more fun being ignorant.

I shouldn't have to agree with the owner, coaches, or players on a personal, political, religious, etc level. I just want to watch them play good football. Go Cowboys!
expresswrittenconsent
You weren't outraged at jerrah's blatant disrespect for the anthem yesterday? His refusal to take off his hat seemed un patriotic, and I don't understand why he couldn't just stop his selfish actions for a few short minutes.

jr15aggie
AG
So T-Will has been getting a lot of praise from the Cowboys media guys. He's had a very good camp so far. Seems like he always played his best ball whenever Dez was hurt, here's hoping he can keep it going.

Chido also getting lots of love. I think the talk about how he can fill in at safety pretty much vanishes when it's obvious he's our best CB. Byron also impressing, but he's been really good in training camp pretty much every year, only to disappear when the season starts.

jr15aggie
AG
Oh yeah, and people REALLY like Michael Gallop. I think it was this weekend he had a pretty rough day... several drops and mental mistakes... but he bounced back the next day and was fantastic again. Apparently he runs really great routs and has really good burst in and out of cuts.

Hoping our back-up QBs are on point in pre-season cause I really want to see what this guy can do assuming he'll get plenty of reps after the veterans are pulled from the game.

Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Mac, you're a good poster here. Think I am too. I won't adamantly disagree with you on this topic, nor will I completely agree with you either.

Safe to say that these are sensitive issues. Me personally, I just want to watch and enjoy football. I get pulled into these discussions too, but the reality is, it's more fun being ignorant.

I shouldn't have to agree with the owner, coaches, or players on a personal, political, religious, etc level. I just want to watch them play good football. Go Cowboys!
I would much rather just watch football wihtout all this nonsense too. I just think it's an odd stance to take to just say "the boss can do what he wants". Frankly, that really not true is any aspect of life. There are limits to what bosses can do. Jerry is no diff.

It's a losing issue for both sides, IMO. I don't think Kap really accomplishes what he wants by kneeling, and Jerry and the owners look stupid if they take a hard line because there will always be silly stuff like JJ not taking off his cap.

However, the bigger issue, which Dale makes, I think is very important. For the owners to take a hard line stance on this anthem thing and put up with much of the criminal activity they have for decades goes beyond hypocrisy. It's down right unethical, slimy, whatever adjective you want to use.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll say one last thing and I'll be done with it.

The owner CAN do whatever he wants in the context of team rules, etc. It's not like we are discussing whether or not Jerry is allowed to water board his players who don't play well. Now sure, his decision can impact team comradery, but like I already said, I don't think this particular issue divides the team because my perception is Jerry treats these guys like family off the field and he's very clearly business on the field. I think other owners would have a harder time selling that though.

And I completely agree Kap's original message was lost. If he were wise, after his first kneel he would have backed off the issue since so many people took it to be a slap in the face of those that have died defending our country. He should have said, "No, that's not what it was about at all... since it is perceived that way I will refrain from kneeling but I will instead peacefully protest in the following way..."

If he had done that he would have gained respect from at least some of the people who initially took offense, he'd still have an NFL career, and we wouldn't be having this dumb conversation.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Football is about entertainment, camaraderie and escapism. Political nonsense of any stripe undermines all three of these. It's not entertaining, and it brings the crappy real world into the fun, alternate sports world.

It also really torpedoes the team identification and camaraderie of the sport. I lived in NYC and found friends all over when they learned I was a Dallas Cowboy fan. There's a concept that the owners, fans, players, coaches, and admin are all on the same team and rise and fall together. Kap's protest and all the resulting drama is him basically saying "I'm not one of you. I'm not on your team. My team is entirely based on skin color." So all the people who have his skin color like him, because he's part of their team. Everyone else wants him to **** off, because we can't root for someone who is not part of our team
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

However, the bigger issue, which Dale makes, I think is very important. For the owners to take a hard line stance on this anthem thing and put up with much of the criminal activity they have for decades goes beyond hypocrisy. It's down right unethical, slimy, whatever adjective you want to use.
I think there is a very clear distinction that Dale conveniently ignores. When it comes to players that get into trouble, they get disciplined. They serve their time, and in most cases, get another shot. If they keep doing it, that shot goes away forever. Jerry is basically going to treat the anthem the same way - you get with the program or you go.
Macarthur
But I would argue you are conveniently ignoring the issue of proportionality.

Those players you speak of, in general, break the law, and in many cases, very severe laws. Yet, they are welcomed back into the league with open arms. Kap, on the other hand, still can't find a job as a back up. Sorry, not buying it.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
DannyDuberstein
AG
yet there are tons of anthem kneelers playing. this is not some death penalty issue for all players.

Kap's issues go far beyond his kneeling. He's not a good QB, and he's an absolutely lousy fit as a backup. Being the face of this thing certainly hurts, but if he'd stand, he'd play. kind of like if Randy Gregory can stay off of pot, he'll play.
Macarthur
Fair enough.

What would you do with Dak if he kneels? What about Tom Brady?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
DannyDuberstein
AG
I tell him I'll work with him in every way I can to help him promote his cause. But on my team on Sundays, we stand for the national anthem. They are smart, mature guys. We work it out like smart, mature business people.
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

I tell him I'll work with him in every way I can to help him promote his cause. But on my team on Sundays, we stand for the national anthem. They are smart, mature guys. We work it out like smart, mature business people.

You didn't answer the question. If Tom Brady says, "I'm kneeling", do you sit him?
DannyDuberstein
AG
i did answer the question. You asked what I'd do. I told you what I'd do. I guess I need to spell out what "on my team, we stand for the anthem", but that means, on my team if you want to play, you stand. Would go for everyone.

I think Jerry's missteps involve talking about it publicly more than necessary vs. shutting down these media idiots. His policy is fine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.