*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,079 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gigem1223
Championship!
jr15aggie
AG
Sounds sorta like Justin Durant from a few years ago. Very much needed depth... definitely need to sign / draft a starting caliber guy though.

Remember, we got Hitchens in the 3rd round and he pretty much started right away for us, so we can definitely find that kind of guy and it doesn't have to be a 1st round pick. But I'm not mad if we get Roquan Smith in the 1st either!!!
jr15aggie
AG
Still too early draft talk / predictions:

1. I'm looking for the Cowboys to move up in Round 1. We've got 10 picks and our comp picks are trade-able. 10 rookies are not making this team. If we stay put in round 1, I'd be shocked if we didn't push to make a big jump up in the 2nd.

2. Don't look for us to move into the top 10 though... look for 4 QBs to go before the Cowboys (possibly 5 if Jackson continues to rise). Cowboys will be hoping for those QBs to go early and push other prospects down the board. If some of their top targets fall out of the top 10, look for them to start working the phones.

3. 3 guys I'm guessing the Cowboys will consider trading up for if they start to slide... Roquan Smith (LB), Derwin James (S), Calvin Ridley (WR).

If you ask me right now, I'm a fan of Ridley. Our offense really struggled last year... felt like we were stuck in mud sometimes. This guy steps in day 1 as our #2 WR and is a threat all over the field. And I say #2 WR in terms of the position / role he plays, he could very well lead the team statistically in more than one WR stat.
gigem1223
Unless he's the 2nd coming of Calvin Johnson, there's no way I would trade to take a WR in this class. If they make any draft day trades I would hope that it's backwards to get more picks. Perfect scenario is if Mayfield or Jackson are still on the board when we pick.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
move up in the 2nd and get kirk if you really want a receiver. we help on defense in a bad way. roquan smith would be awesome as would derwin james, but i doubt we can move up enough to get either.
ac04
really hope they don't take ridley
MooreTrucker
AG
gigem1223 said:

Unless he's the 2nd coming of Calvin Johnson, there's no way I would trade to take a WR in this class. If they make any draft day trades I would hope that it's backwards to get more picks. Perfect scenario is if Mayfield or Jackson are still on the board when we pick.
I wouldn't expect to take a QB, especially that early, with Dak going into just his 3rd year.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Hate to sound like I'm turning a bench warmer into a savior but I really wana see them give Cooper Rush a legit number of snaps in the Spring and Training Camp. Lets see what he can do. He looked way too good for a rookie to just let him sit there and assume Dak is so much better than him.

That said, the Jones family can be stubborn. We know this already. If they already have it in their minds that Rush can never be as good as Dak, then they wont give him that opportunity.
jr15aggie
AG
Rush will get all the back-up snaps this year... we should get to see him plenty in pre-season.
jr15aggie
AG
I definitely get what y'all are saying about Ridley. I'm a sucker for the splash pick though and I think he would make a big impact for an offense that went from extremely efficient in 2016 to very inconsistent in 2017. But don't forget, the ONLY big free agent we know the Cowboys partially pursued was a WR. That should tell you something about what the Cowboys want to upgrade.

But defensively, I do think Roquan Smith is very much in play. With the trades and the QB desperate teams this year, 4 QBs will very easily go in the top 10 and a 5th could jump in the top 15. Players will slide. If he gets out of the top 10 I have little doubt the Cowboys will start shopping picks to move up. Talk about a guy that comes in and not only starts immediately, but is possibly an upgrade over what we had last year.

But right now, I think Ridley is the guy that is more likely to be available. Why'd we have to win that last game again???????
ac04
i'm fine with a WR, just not a ridley fan. at all.
752bro4
AG
Adding WR Deonte Thompson, WR from BUF

MooreTrucker
AG
So maybe not so interested in Ridley after all?
ac04
thompson is just bench depth, shouldn't affect anything they do in the draft at all
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed.

They are obviously looking to upgrade / shuffle the WR position. New WR coach no doubt has some say here and probably doesn't like what he sees watching 2017 film!
gigem1223
MooreTrucker said:

gigem1223 said:

I wouldn't expect to take a QB, especially that early, with Dak going into just his 3rd year.

That is not where I was going with that. If Mayfield and Jackson are still on the board then we can likely trade back and get more value with teams with qb needs. Then take Kirk/ Moore and a safety like Elliott or LB in the 2nd.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ah, yeah I like that idea.
jr15aggie
AG
I believe there is a really good LB (from Iowa I think... Broadus was talking about him the other day) in the 2nd or 3rd round. Apparently he's another Big 10 Sean Lee type stud - all over the field guy. I'd be happy staying put or moving back in the 1st and then being aggressive in other rounds to get guys like this that we can plug in.

As far as WR... I've seen some teams mock Sutton to us at 19 (Ridley was gone). I threw up in my mouth a little. I'm no expert, but that guy looks like he's running in loose sand. I don't see how anybody expects this guy to get any kind of separation at the next level!
Rossko
AG
"Outlaw" Josey Jewell. I wouldn't mind seeing a star on his helmet at the next level...

PooDoo
AG
I don't think Jewell's had a severe enough injury for the Cowboys to consider him in the 2nd round.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

I don't think Jewell's had a severe enough injury for the Cowboys to consider him in the 2nd round.
I like Jewell, too. Nice player but he's not sean Lee. He ran a 4.8 at the combine so he's prob not a 3 down guy, but still a solid player.
jr15aggie
AG
Thanks for the info... Don't know much about him other than Broadus was talking about him the other day. At 4.8 definitely doesn't sound like a 2nd round guy.

PS... Nice post PooDoo! Good laugh.
. . .
2 years, $12M

PooDoo
AG
He's probably closer to a Polzluwski or whatever his name is from Penn St.

Which ain't bad but not really a fit for the Cover 2.... who knows.
AG
Does Hurns signing mean they are going to cut ties with Dez?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I actually really like Hurns. He's a good player when he's got a capable guy throwing him balls.

This team needs playmakers on D though. They really really badly need 2 instant impact guys. They can get one maybe in the 1st round , but I don't think they can get 2. So they need a big FA addition still.

Also, the depth at OL still an issue.
Macarthur
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Does Hurns signing mean they are going to cut ties with Dez?
excellent question. They may just do it.

I like Hurns.
Macarthur
Interesting thing on both of these WR signings...both have been in situations where the QB play has been pretty inconsistent.
BMX Bandit
I like Hurns a lot, but it should not mean Dez is gone. Hurns isn't a #1 receiver.
AG
WRs under contract: Dez, Hurns, Williams, Beasley, Switzer, Thompson, Brown.

I mentioned cutting Dez, but could they trade Williams instead? Dez, Hurns and Switzer/Beasley out of the slot?

i dunno. could work....
BMX Bandit
trading Williams would increase his salary cap number.
jr15aggie
AG
Such a typical Dallas free agency move! A guy with potential who has played at a pro bowl level before... They get him a couple weeks into it for pretty cheap after staying away from the crazy bidding wars.

I like it I guess. Don't think it means Dez is for sure gone, but we have options now. It may be more if a motivational piece than anything. We all know JG is all about competition.

Agreed we still need at least one guy (safety or LB) to feel pretty good going into the draft. And right now it seems like we could definitely find a really good LB or two in this draft, but safety though...
ac04
beasley looks like odd man out to me.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Agreed we still need at least one guy (safety or LB) to feel pretty good going into the draft. And right now it seems like we could definitely find a really good LB or two in this draft, but safety though...

Is Tre Boston still available?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.