*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,046 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Year 2000 Jerry does that deal. Thankfully this one won't. That would be a ridiculous price to pay for a one year rental. And it's not like he's working for free this year. Still gotta pay him $9 mill. Go get him next offseason if you want.
TyHolden
AG
Should have offered dez, witten, and romo for et
jr15aggie
AG
Solid draft, especially when you look at the Cowboys draft board. So they really wanted Gallup in the second when they took Williams. They didn't panic and he was still there in the third.

I posted during the end of the third round the Cowboys were on the phone trying to move up (I was watching the war room cam). They couldn't find a partner at their price so they said no. Defensive coaches where part of the discussion so I assumed safety. Nope, it was Armstrong who they got in the 4th anyway.

At the end of it, we've got a younger and improved roster I think. We addressed all our needs but safety, which we have 3 guys, but 2 CBs that can play there as needed. Not the end of world and perhaps we'll simply sign Thomas next year anyhow. Speaking of, glad they didn't make that trade at Seattle's price.
Post removed:
by user
jr15aggie
AG
Honestly I had completely forgotten about that pick. But yeah, he's a solid runner. Did you know, he's the first Bama player we've taken since Tony Dixon in 2001.
Rex Racer
AG
Dallas has the leverage in the ET situation. Glad they held out. They may still get him for less in a trade, or they'll just wait it out until next year.
Macarthur
Rex Racer said:

Dallas has the leverage in the ET situation. Glad they held out. They may still get him for less in a trade, or they'll just wait it out until next year.
Tre Boston is also out there. He's a decent option.
Ag Natural
AG
That Armstrong pick is interesting. If he can play then that gives some flexibility in the DLAW decision next year. My worst fear was for Lawrence to have OK season and still require a 12 to 15 million dollar contract.
bonfarr
AG
Ag Natural said:

That Armstrong pick is interesting. If he can play then that gives some flexibility in the DLAW decision next year. My worst fear was for Lawrence to have OK season and still require a 12 to 15 million dollar contract.

I.dont think that would happen otherwise DLaw would have already gotten that contract. I think he was franchise tagged because Jerry wants him to prove he isn't a one hit wonder. At least I hope so.
Ag Natural
AG
bonfarr said:

Ag Natural said:

I.dont think that would happen otherwise DLaw would have already gotten that contract. I think he was franchise tagged because Jerry wants him to prove he isn't a one hit wonder. At least I hope so.

Right, that's what I'm saying. If he has a great season again then pay the man. If he sucks or is injured all year then dont. But what if he is OK? What if he leads the team with 8 sacks or something?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Betting on DLaw to stay healthy, pass drug tests, and produce at a high level. Any one of those becomes an issue, you let him go after 2018 and go hard after an edge rusher in the 2019 draft. But for now, you need to invest elsewhere while counting on him to work out.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Why did they draft White? I thought Cooper Rush would be a solid backup.
ac04
spending a 5th on a guy who can compete with your current #2 for the backup role is fine with me. no matter who wins, you've got a young guy you liked enough to draft at the QB3 spot instead of some washed old re-tread.
DannyDuberstein
AG
White's an interesting dude. Lit it up at WKU behind a crap OL. Nice arm. I always like the idea taking a flyer on a talented small school QB (assuming there is a deserving one) as long as you're that far into draft.

Even if he never ends up having a path to start for you, there is never a shortage of teams willing to deal great value for a young QB that turns out to have some talent.
Southlake
Ward = Taco. Hope he's better here than he was at Oak.

How much play8ng time will Scarborough get behind Zeke?

Lots WRs, but none that stick out. Hopefully competition will bring out talent.

Still wish we had drafted a pass catching TE, a Safety and a couple more LBs.

And I still think Cooper Rush will be the QB of the future.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm already mentally prepared for the next Zeke suspension. The roster is more prepared now too.
. . .

DMN: Still pursuing Earl Thomas
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

Ward = Taco. Hope he's better here than he was at Oak.

How much play8ng time will Scarborough get behind Zeke?

Lots WRs, but none that stick out. Hopefully competition will bring out talent.

Still wis( we had drafted a pass catching TE, a Safety and a couple more LBs.

And I still think Cooper Rush will be the QB of the future.

I'll comment on each of your statements, just because I like talking Cowboys!

• I'm cool if Ward is Taco. Taco was an OK rotation player and was improving. We need that on our D-line more than we needed Switzer, considering the current logjam at receiver.
  • Scarborough has to make the team first. With Tavon playing our "Dunbar" role and the team already liking Smith, he's got work to do. His biggest advantage is Smith is entering the final year of his contract and if it's a push the tie will go to the younger/cheaper player. And it kills me to say it, but I'm not gonna doubt the guy that played a Bama.
  • I think the idea at WR is to have guys that can run the correct routes and give Dak a good targe. Forget the traditional #1 WR... hell, the Eagles did just fine with a group of regular guys (granted, they did have an above average pass catching TE though).
  • The TE we drafted has a lot of promise. Our LB corp is pretty solid now with 2 guys you assume can play LVE & Lee, one that has the potential Smith, two that we know are competent Wilson & Thomas, and our 6th round pick Covington. I'll give you the safety, bummer Seattle was playing hardball with Thomas, but we have 3 guys that can play and two others (Jones and Awuzie) that can scheme to the spot when needed. I'd love to add Thomas as a free agent next year and solidify that spot for a couple years. Or heck, maybe Seattle will cave in the next couple of months and let us have him for next years 3rd.
  • Agreed, Rush has shown good stuff. But I like this White kid too. IMO he showed just as much, if not more, than the 1st rounder Allen (Allen obviously getting the edge because of the crazy good measureables).

Looking through my Cowboys shaded glasses I'm feeling pretty good at the moment!
jr15aggie
AG
J_R said:

DMN: Still pursuing Earl Thomas

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hopr this "interesting" offer is a network that is telling him "go ahead and play, we know you still have the fire, we'll be here when you are done".

Witten is obviously at the end, and as an older player he's the king of catching the ball and immediately getting tackled, but the guy is still very valuable to this team and we need him!
PooDoo
AG
Just finished watching All or Nothing on Amazon. Really interesting.

Awkward feature on David Irving and his exgirlfriend.

Mozart Paintings
AG
The scene in Jerry Jr's house was so awkward.

But fun to watch the series overall.
Grapesoda2525
Taco is probably the most underwhelming pick this staff has made in the last few years.

I recall hardly anyone being excited about it.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Taco is probably the most underwhelming pick this staff has made in the last few years.

I recall hardly anyone being excited about it.

At least he played his first year
PooDoo
AG
Grapesoda2525
PooDoo said:

I hope he signs with dallas next year as a free agent. He would fill a big hole.
TheCougarHunter
AG
PooDoo said:

Glad they didn't hear back!
jteagle
AG
Interesting list of UDFA

Cowboys UDFA

bonfarr
AG
jteagle said:

Interesting list of UDFA

Cowboys UDFA

I like the LB from Iowa State, that guy is a football player
jteagle
AG
bonfarr said:

jteagle said:

Interesting list of UDFA

Cowboys UDFA

I like the LB from Iowa State, that guy is a football player
Yeah, I like him as a contributor on special teams immediately. Good athlete.
Southlake
NJR15. Good points. However while you are very very optimistic, I tend to go the other way with the Cowboys.

Remember, the Eagles had a great pass catching play making TE in Ertz and a breakthrough year with Alshon Jeffery from the Bears. Jeffrey has Dex physicality. I'd love to see Shultz at 6'6" be a pass dominant catcher, but we'll have to wait and see.

From your Bama argument, I would have picked Evans in the first round, again, hopefully I'm wrong. And I still think Scarborough looked slow against Georgia.

I always thought Tavon Austin was a game breaker, but how cool would it have been if we coulda got Sammy Watkins?

I hate that we didn't take Armani Watts as a safety or Griffin as a LB. would have loved to see them play for the Boys.

And, Cooper Rush reminds me of Carson Wentz. Let's just get him in here now and quit fiddling with Dak. ( who, I believe is a perfect backup)

Edit: Armani Watts, not J. Evans.
Edit: Ertz not Celek.
(Jet lagged again. I shouldn't be allowed to post!)
PatAg
AG
Glad you aren't in charge
PooDoo
AG
Rush is nothing like Wentz other than being a red head.

And wasn't Justin Evans was in last years draft?
bonfarr
AG
Am I reading this correctly, you think Rush should start over Dak? I am not convinced Dak is the one that will lead us to a SB but no way I play Rush over him right now. If our coaches thought that was the case they wouldn't have drafted a QB.
Southlake
No, I think Rush is the Cowboys future.

And, I'm sorry, I meant Armani Watts. My bad.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Based on some preseason action?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.