*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,118 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1st round pick I'd be thrilled with:
Vita Vea
Roquan Smith
Derwin James

1st round pick I'd be happy with:
Da'Ron Payne
DJ Moore

1st round picks I'm not sold on:
Calvin Ridley
Leighton Vander Esch
Harold Landry
Marcus Davenport

Can't wait to see what happens.

Vince Blake
I completely agree with your thrilled list. Just don't see any one of those guys making it to 19. And every mock lately has Vita Vea going to the Skins.

I'd be happy with Ridley, Moore, or LVE. Jane Slater reported that the Cowboys viewed LVE as Urlacher 2.0. I wouldn't mind Landry, but he'd be in a crowded room.

I'd be ok with a guard or Payne or Bryan if it's the right play when the time comes. I'll puke if it's Sutton.
jr15aggie
AG
We'll get a good player at 19, I just hope we don't trade up (unless Roquon or James falls to say 15). I'd really like to get a solid player at 19 and be aggressive with our extra picks to move up in the 2nd.

Make sure we get two starters with our first two picks... Then start filling the depth chart for oline, RB, DT, etc with the rest.
jr15aggie
AG
FYI... I'm hearing the Cowboys really like Sutton. I don't think so much in the first round, but he's a target for them in the 2nd.

I'm sure I could get on board with the pick, but pre draft, I'm not a fan.
gigem1223
As long as it's not a WR in the first I'll be happy. Not sold on any and don't see them helping next year. Would be ok with one in the 2nd or 3rd.

My top 5 wants at 19

1. Roquan Smith (obviously trade up)
2. Derwin James (same as above)
3. LVE
4. Vea
5. Landry

If we could get a combo of Vea or LVE in the 1st and trade 50 for ET, then package picks to get back in the 2nd to get Gallup or the kid from Memphis I'll be thrilled.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I think they go elsewhere in the 1st and hope a quality WR like Sutton falls to them later. Or at least falls enough where they could package some picks to move up and snag one (depending on the earl thomas situation)
Southlake
Love the Vea pick first.

Two years ago, the NFC East was weak, now with Smith to the Redskins, SB probably to the Giants (maybe Dez too) and the Eagles Rolling, Boys gotta beef up on defense.

Captain Obvious here...
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I think we really need to go defense 1st. Let's assume the Earl Thomas thing doesn't happen... Who's starting at LB for us... How about safety?

We are a couple injuries away on defense from literally grabbing guys off the street and sticking a star on their helmet.

Like it's been said... If we can land Thomas and say a starting LB in round 1 I'd feel a whole lot better.
gigem1223
Bowman is still available if they aren't able to address LB in the draft
Rossko
AG
My dream scenario for this draft is to grab a day 1 starter on defense at 19 (or trading down a few spots if there are options) then trading up to grab DJ Moore late first or early 2nd if he doesn't go Thursday night.

Edit to add I will thoroughly be disappointed if they stay at 19 and take Sutton.
jr15aggie
AG
Moving way up in the 2nd is always desirable, but we'll have to move back in the first and get more picks to make that work. I think the Cowboys are open to that, but we'll need a trade partner.

Some are saying NE at 23 is very possible if one of the QBs fall. I'm guessing that would be worth NEs 3rd. Should be enough ammo to combine with our comp 4th rounder to move way up in the 2nd. The main idea is that we get great value picks in the 1st and 2nd but still have a 3rd and 4th rounder to pick up, say, that guard we need.
Vince Blake
So the rumor is the targets are 1. Vea 2. LVE 3. DJ Moore. In that order.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/25/17279130/2018-draft-rumors-dallas-cowboys-locked-in-on-vita-vea-leighton-vander-esch-and-d-j-moore

I'd be happy with any of those guys...especially Vea. I think he would make the D-line better from day 1 and that would radiate throughout the whole D.

Vander Esch has incredible potential. By the way, good article on LVE and his background on The Ringer:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17273966/leighton-vander-esch-draft-prospect-profile-boise-state

And DJ Moore made some bad QBs look good. Suppose to be a great locker room guy too so I could see him and Dak getting on the same page quick.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'm not a huge fan of giving up a 2nd for Earl Thomas. I would however trade a 3rd for him and next year's 4th if Seattle was willing to take that.

I'm also not a fan of trading away picks 2 or 3 to move up or move around the draft.

I think very good players can be had with those premium picks and we need players.

The only player I'd trade a 3rd for to move up to get is Roquan Smith. I'd trade a 4th to move up and get Minkah Fitzpatrick.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

So the rumor is the targets are 1. Vea 2. LVE 3. DJ Moore. In that order.

Fine with any of them. Part of me, though, wonders if Ridley is also very high on their board and they are playing the "meh" card so that nobody in the 20's will jump up and swipe them. Gotta remember, Seattle has no 2nd or 3rd and they pick right in front of us... prime candidate to move down and let another team leapfrog us!

Quote:

I'm also not a fan of trading away picks 2 or 3 to move up or move around the draft.
Your thinking is correct. What I'd personally like to see is the Cowboys keeping those picks but moving up in those rounds to make sure we get our guys! Use our day 3 picks, specifically the comp pick in the 4th & our three 6th rounders to move up. With that strategy our top 3 guys are guys the Cowboys feel can start right away and we should still have 4 picks left.
bonfarr
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I'm not a huge fan of giving up a 2nd for Earl Thomas. I would however trade a 3rd for him and next year's 4th if Seattle was willing to take that.

I think very good players can be had with those premium picks and we need players.

The only player I'd trade a 3rd for to move up to get is Roquan Smith. I'd trade a 4th to move up and get Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Did you listen to the John Harris podcast on Texags? He says the Seahawks should demand our 1st, 3rd, and 4th Rd picks or something like that for Thomas and that is what he would cost. That has to be BS right?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Did you listen to the John Harris podcast on Texags? He says the Seahawks should demand our 1st, 3rd, and 4th Rd picks for Thomas and that is what he would cost. That has to be BS right?
ROFL!!! No thanks! We'll just let Thomas play out the last year of his contract with Seattle and we'll sign him next year if we feel like it.

Everybody knows Seattle can't/won't keep Thomas after his contract expires this year. They can either get a little something for him now, or they can enjoy having him on the team one last year.

NOBODY is going to give up a 1st round pick for a vet approaching 30 with an expiring contract. Those 1st round contracts are way too cap friendly and come with a 5th year team option... they are like Gold assuming the player you pick is at least a starter.
Macarthur
I'm a huge fan of Vea. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. I would actually give some major thought to moving up to get him if he falls into the 12-13 range.

LVE scares me. I think he's a high ceiling but also has major bust potential.

I don't think any of the WRs should go in the top 20 or so, although, I do think Ridley is a very good football player and is going to be a very solid, but not spectacular WR in the league for a decade.

I would love to grab Thomas.

If we could come out of the first and 2nd with Vea and Thomas, that would be a huge home run. However, it would be hard to get Vea and keep that 2nd. I would still be happy with LVE and Thomas, but still hold my breath a bit on LVE. I think Thomas would impact our D much more than anyone you could have in the 2nd round for the next 2 to 3 years.
Macarthur
with the news of Callaway failing a drug test at the combine, anyone interested in using a 7th on him?
bonfarr
AG
Macarthur said:

with the news of Callaway failing a drug test at the combine, anyone interested in using a 7th on him?

When is the new CBL going to be signed? I bet after that the NFL won't even test for pot.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Lol I heard that. Dont see him commanding that.

Maybe the old Cowboys run by Jerry overpay like that but the Stephen run Cowboys dont imho.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It may not test for pot, but I'm tired of this team having so many undisciplined dip****s that can't manage to pass a drug test that they know is coming. I think it just spells other trouble ahead. It's not so much the 7th pick I would care about burning on a risk. It's just being tired that even if that risk appears to pay off when you find a player, that's the dip**** that ends up getting himself suspended again and again and is hard to build a team with. When your team is overflowing with dumbass, it springs leaks in all sorts of ways.
jr15aggie
AG
I think the ONLY reason I'd consider drafting him late is because he just recently had a little girl. Sometimes kids can completely change a man. But the dude has been the poster child for dumb decisions in college, I have little faith he'll know how to be a professional athlete.
gigem1223
Mayock has us taking Sutton with 19
Street_Cred_Norm
Jerry all but said they wont reach for a wide receiver. not worried about them taking Sutton at 19
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. I don't think 19 will be a wr.
Southlake
Please no Ridley or Sutton at 19.
PooDoo
AG
If we do trade our 2nd for ET we should make them flip #1's to move us to 18.
Texker
AG
As long as someone locks JJ in the men's room before the draft with a couple of bottles of JW Blue I think they'll be ok.
jr15aggie
AG
If you listened to their pre draft press conference, they gave away some hints.

When asked about trading for a current player to help our team, they specifically talked about the situation when there is only one year left on a contract, but that they had all the information they needed if they decided to make a move... They were definitely talking about Earl.

They said enough to tell you that they would trade up in the first, but not more than two or three spots. So willing to part with a third if their guy falls, but not trading their 2nd to move way up.

They love Vita Vea. Can't remember the exact context, but when asked Jerry went on describing a certain type of player, was definitely describing Vita. Like the Thomas trade, they were speaking in generalities, but you can tell they have specific players on their mind.
PooDoo
AG
Todd Archer, who was right about Taco last year, mocked Vander Esche at 19.

Broaddus was saying he's a 250 guy that gets blocked by 200 pound guys.
gigem1223
A raw 6'5 256 guy with 141 tackles, 3 ints, 4 FF, 4 sacks and led the nation in stuffed runs of 2 yds or less. I would love the pick.
Macarthur
I did some watching Vander yesterday and the dude really is a freak. Now, there have been lots of freaks that never pan out, but the dude's upside is almost unlimited.

I've read some say his ceiling is Urlacher. Damn.
gigem1223
PFF was comparing him to Keuchly
Vince Blake
Came from playing 8 on 8 HS to a preferred walk-on spot at Boise...first exposure to 11 on 11 football. Earned a scholarship, was voted team captain, earned Mountain West defensive POY last year. Definitely has a history of working his ass off. Even if the kid doesn't become a Cowboy, I hope he has a great career in the NFL.
jr15aggie
AG
It's hard scouting defenders, I'll just take the Cowboys word for it if he's the guy. On paper he sounds LEGIT! And I know Broaddus has been honest about him when it comes to the negatives, but he was quick to say "absolutely not" when somebody asked if his athleticism is blinding teams and he's really Bobby Carpenter.

But yeah, if he pans out, he's a sideline to sideline MLB and an immediate help to our team. Not a single problem if he's the pick, they just better be right about him, because we need LB help in a big way!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.