*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,075 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jr15aggie said:

On the 'Cowboys release Dez' thread somebody said they would sprint to the podium if Ridley were available. I had two contradictory thoughts on that:

1. We need LB a heck of a lot more than we need a WR. I don't think taking a WR #1 is a sure fire bet. Besides, Ridley isn't classified as a #1 WR... he's a very lean complimentary type WR.

2. Then again, perhaps we are starting to see traditional #1 WRs phased out. Certainly might be the case with our personnel and a QB that thrives on hitting the open man, not forcing balls to a WR that loves to play the tight physical game. Perhaps Ridley is the exact type of WR we are looking for and maybe we would sprint up there and address the defense after.

Here's the thing on Ridley. Go back and look at his first year when he had a QB that could actually throw the ball. His numbers were better than Jones and Cooper. He's been saddled with poor QB play and still had almost 1000 yards. I think Ridley is legit.

Sure, he's not real big, but I'm not so sure you need a ton of size at WR now with the rule changes. The best quality to have is route running and ability to separate and he has both of those in excess.
Macarthur
I think if he's there, you take him 100%, but I'm not real keen on trading any picks to to up and get him.
Ag Natural
AG
Cowboys will take the best player available. The only question is how are they evaluating WRs? Personally, I'm hoping they move more towards a route running, quicker model and away from the big dude who can win jump balls model. The Sutton kid from SMU scares me and the unpolished Washington from OKState scares me. Ridley or Kirk are my favorites. They both are exceptional route runners who have been tested by real competition. Kirk's character is off the charts and I don't know as much about Ridley.
Rossko
AG
If we end up with Sutton as our first round pick I will not be happy.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
gigem1223 said:

Heard on the radio today that we'll be roughly $70M under the cap next offseason. That's plenty of cap space to resign Martin, Lawrence and be active in free agency.

It's like $70m+ as of now and then like $90m in 2019 from what I understand. That's why I felt like adding a couple of impact defenders even at the cost of restructuring a couple contracts shoulda been the plan. Even after restructuring they still woulda had tons of space in 19 and 20.
jr15aggie
AG
You don't have to sell me on Ridley, I've been praising him since the offseason started. My only hesitation recently is the fact that we've lost two LBs and have done little to replace them.

But I 100% agree on the type of WR... Ridley, Kirk, & Moore seem to fit the bill. Ridley has a burst that stands out on TV, he has a very special / unique set of tools. I will throw up if we draft Sutton... that guy looks like he's running on beach sand. Absolutely NO, even in the 2nd round. Don't know much about the OKC kid, but we need something different.

Last thing we need is a rookie WR that can't even get on the field because they can't beat out Hurns & T-Will. I don't want anything to do with any WR in the 1st or 2nd not named Kirk/Ridley/Moore.
gigem1223
Oh look it's the resident Seahawks troll. Still bitter about Dak I see.

Gtfo
Ag Natural
AG
ApachePilot said:

But who will throw them the ball in these quick breaking routes?

Most QBS work better with WRS who run good routes.
PooDoo
AG
Anyone like Chark?
Haven't seen a ton of him but his highlights look like a taller DeSean Jackson. Looks like a game breaker.
BMX Bandit
I like him a lot. But not in 1st
jr15aggie
AG
Was just looking at the roster this morning... when the hell did we add KD Cannon to the team?
jr15aggie
AG
Whether it's rumor or just speculation, hearing talk that this draft could play out similar to last year. We took Taco at 1 cause the depth of the DE in the draft was poor and we knew we could get quality CBs in the 2nd/3rd.

Same thing this year... LB depth isn't great but the WR class is deep. The thought being that we'll grab Evans or Vander Esch in the 1st and look to add a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. If that is the case, give me Evans. Plug and Play starter at MLB. I'm not a fan of gambling on Vander Esch possibly having a higher ceiling.
Vince Blake
I would love Vander Esch--big, athletic, nose for the football, captain of his team (which seems like a Garrett trait), and did not have an All-star cast around him like Evans. I think he's going to make a great MLB.

That said, if the Cowboys are going to have to chase Saquon Barkley around twice a season--Evans may be the way to go.
BMX Bandit
Giants week 2
at Giants week 17
PooDoo
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Yeah, I was thinking if they went defense in the 1st they might might be able to trade up in the 2nd for Chark if they like him.

Are we sure the Giants are sold on Barkley? If you aren't going QB how can you not trade that pick to a QB crazy team?
Rossko
AG
I'm in on the DJ Moore bandwagon. If we don't take him at 19 and he last through the 1st, I would love to trade up in the 2nd and grab him. I think he has the potential to be a stud.
Vince Blake
I was listening to the Around the NFL podcast this morning and they briefly mentioned that the word was the Giants were in love with Barkley and that he's pretty much penciled in at #2. They also followed that up by saying you shouldn't believe anything that's being put out there at this time.

But I'm with you...if the Giants don't go QB, trade down.
. . .
ac
It'll be blue in the opener as the Panthers always wear white at home early in the season. But other than that, it looks like the only other time that they'll wear the blue will be Thanksgiving.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Other than the Cowboys opening and closing the season on the road (again), I don't see much to complain about with that schedule. No long road trips and a week 8 bye is pretty nice
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

BMX Bandit said:

Yeah, I was thinking if they went defense in the 1st they might might be able to trade up in the 2nd for Chark if they like him.

Are we sure the Giants are sold on Barkley? If you aren't going QB how can you not trade that pick to a QB crazy team?
I'm with you. I've read some stuff lately that caused me to cool a bit on Barkley. One knock (and this may be nit picking) is that he doesn't run between the tackles all that great.

I just think when you are up as high as the Giants are, and there are legit QB options, and you have an aging QB, I think you almost have to grab one of these QBs.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Whether it's rumor or just speculation, hearing talk that this draft could play out similar to last year. We took Taco at 1 cause the depth of the DE in the draft was poor and we knew we could get quality CBs in the 2nd/3rd.

Same thing this year... LB depth isn't great but the WR class is deep. The thought being that we'll grab Evans or Vander Esch in the 1st and look to add a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. If that is the case, give me Evans. Plug and Play starter at MLB. I'm not a fan of gambling on Vander Esch possibly having a higher ceiling.
The odds look like there will be a quality DT there though.

IMO, can never go wrong with a quality DT.
PooDoo
AG
Looks like Hanna and McCown retired today... Bring on a TE in the 2nd round.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

Looks like Hanna and McCown retired today... Bring on a TE in the 2nd round.
Todd Archer tweeted that it seems like there's buzz around Blake Jarwin and they think he could take a step forward this year
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

The odds look like there will be a quality DT there though.

IMO, can never go wrong with a quality DT.

I'm hearing talk about the Cowboys loving Vita Vea and Payne from Alabama (Defensive Tackles). Not gonna argue that a really good D-line can mask a weakness at LB... but I'll believe it when I see it. When is the last time Dallas took a DT in the 1st round? Russel Maryland???

But, if we added the right piece to that D-line, man, that could be a NASTY group next year if all our guys stay healthy and Irving doesn't lose his head. Would probably become the best / deepest D-line we've had since 92-94 when we constantly rotated fresh bodies and had consistent pressure w/out having to blitz.
jr15aggie
AG
And I'll add this to the pre draft buzz... Jaylon Smith is running MUCH better and moving MUCH better since the end of the season. Constant improvement if what "they" say is to be believed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'll believe it when I see it. He was absolutely awful last year on any play that required any change of direction. Sturm did an in-depth breakdown on this a few weeks ago.
Macarthur
Vea might just be a top 5 player in this draft regardless of position. No way he makes it to 19.
bonfarr
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'll believe it when I see it. He was absolutely awful last year on any play that required any change of direction. Sturm did an in-depth breakdown on this a few weeks ago.

Was that due to his injury or from being rusty?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Injury. Just cant change direction well on that drop foot. One play he highlighted was in the very last game vs Philly. Smith is blitzing but recognizes screen so he peels off after the back. But it was like watching the the Queen Mary turn. Instead of a plant and quick chamge of direction, he has to take this wide awkward turn to go after him and is soon out of the play completely.

Consistent problem all year long. He was apparently somewhat okay on plays where he could maintain consistent direction. Horrendous on anything that required starting one way but then changing. Comparable to a defensive tackle level of direction change agility.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Also, if I recall, it wasn't Bob that did the initial assessment. It was one of those deep stat/scout type folks that broke down every olay. Bob just went thru athat in detail. And the basic takeaway was that losing Hitchens is scary as hell because Smith was awful. And sure, some of it was probably green factor, but the physical limitation stood out the most.
jr15aggie
AG
Don't disagree. This time period, though, is when everybody was sorta targeting for his full recovery. We'll keep our fingers crossed, but it would be foolish to figure he is gonna start.
gigem1223
I think it's sounding more and more like Vander Esch at 19 and trading 50 to Seattle for Earl Thomas. I'd be thrilled with those first 2 picks.
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

I think it's sounding more and more like Vander Esch at 19 and trading 50 to Seattle for Earl Thomas. I'd be thrilled with those first 2 picks.

Would LOVE that. It makes the Dez deal make more sense. We have cap space now and going forward... We need to use that now to improve the team. Thomas and a 1st round LB that can start does just that.

Git'er done Jerry.
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

I would be thrilled to come out of the first 2 rounds w that!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.