*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,047 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
leakypipes said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Certainly doesn't help negotiation leverage. You pick up this phone this AM, and Sea is like "hmm, interesting to receive your call, Jerry. price just went up."

I agree it doesn't help with leverage, but if I were Jerry I'd tell Seattle that they can have a two for ET or they can have a compensatory 3rd when ET signs with the Cowboys in the off season.
Whoa, that's a lot to give.
TJJackson
That's been the asking price since at least the draft.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I still think you just wait the year and get Thomas without having to trade away anything. Especially since you're going to have to pay him regardless. You certainly don't do a deal now. Things happen and you might start 0-6 and then the "go for it this year!" just looks dumb giving up a second rounder. If you start off great you still have until week 8 to make a deal.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
leakypipes said:

That's been the asking price since at least the draft.
Which is why it hasn't happened.
BassCowboy33
ramblin_ag02 said:

I still think you just wait the year and get Thomas without having to trade away anything. Especially since you're going to have to pay him regardless. You certainly don't do a deal now. Things happen and you might start 0-6 and then the "go for it this year!" just looks dumb giving up a second rounder. If you start off great you still have until week 8 to make a deal.
Blue star for you, sir.
DannyDuberstein
AG
ET could show up and be rolling strong within two weeks. Agree with seeing how the early portion of the season plays out. And the price likely shrinks as games start getting played.
jr15aggie
AG
Hadn't really thought of the wait until after a few weeks theory. Perhaps we see that he is the just piece to greatness... Perhaps Seattle's season goes in the crapper early.

But we need another guy in here fast. Even if Woods can go week one, we need somebody else whose done it before in the NFL.
gigem1223
Well looks like they signed a few camp body replacements for Showers and Ash in Dominick Sanders and Cauran Reid. Hope to God they've at least picked up the phone and called Seattle by now. Really want to see ET with a star on his helmet this season.
duck79
AG
Just got back from watching practice with the kids. Martin seemed to be walking around fine with just a bandage wrap.
Rossko
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Rossko said:

The price going up would be dumb for Seattle if they want to move Thomas. If the Woods injury forces the need for a safety, the Cowboys will be looking at more than just Thomas and a higher price would take Seattle out of the running.
Seattle is sitting back racking up CBA $$ from Thomas' absence from camp. They may want to move Thomas, but they're in no way desperate.
That's why I said IF
BassCowboy33
Rossko said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Rossko said:

The price going up would be dumb for Seattle if they want to move Thomas. If the Woods injury forces the need for a safety, the Cowboys will be looking at more than just Thomas and a higher price would take Seattle out of the running.
Seattle is sitting back racking up CBA $$ from Thomas' absence from camp. They may want to move Thomas, but they're in no way desperate.
That's why I said IF

If ifs and buts we're candy and nuts...
BassCowboy33

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
oh boy. that's not good.

yes, i know Captain Obvious is obvious.
FTAggies
Def a second rounder is too much but if you have a chance for this year do a third rounder and while you can afford it, dak tank maybe zeke and others might be up for contracts soon and your championship window is closing, I don't think we should "waste" the year, they could be a legitimate super bowl contender and ET might be a final piece
Gig'em
TJJackson
I believe the Cowboys have said** they would give a third rounder but Seattle won't budge off the second round pick for ET.

To get him this year they'll have to send Seattle a two. If not the Cowboys will get him next year without giving up a pick and Seattle gets a compensatory third.

**I don't believe they have said this publicly but the guys on Talking Cowboys seem to believe that the Cowboys have told Seattle they would give up a third for ET.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I'm especially not sending a 2 for ET until I figure out what is going on with my OL. Their OL depth is pure feces.
Grapesoda2525
I'm suddenly not nearly as excited about the season starting.

Could see another Atlanta game like **** show.
gigem1223
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, I'm especially not sending a 2 for ET until I figure out what is going on with my OL. Their OL depth is pure feces.

While the back ups are certainly not near as good as the starters (should be a given when you have 3 all pros on the OL) Fleming and Looney are certainly not bad back ups. Fleming is probably one of the better swing tackles in the league. Still don't see the correlation between trading for ET and the OL depth though. Just because you think one is bad why should both be?
DannyDuberstein
AG
My theory is that you only send that pick for ET if you think you are truly a championship contender THIS year. This year is all that pick is going to buy you. If the OL starts looking like it could be an injury plague **** show right out of the gate so that I'm not a legit title contender THIS year, I'm keeping my powder dry for 2019. No need to waste the pick. Same principle as taking the team's temperature for a few weeks into the season. See what you really have before you toss away a pick that is only good for this year.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

My theory is that you only send that pick for ET if you think you are truly a championship contender THIS year. This year is all that pick is going to buy you. If the OL starts looking like it could be an injury plague **** show right out of the gate so that I'm not a legit title contender THIS year, I'm keeping my powder dry for 2019. No need to waste the pick. Same principle as taking the team's temperature for a few weeks into the season. See what you really have before you toss away a pick that is only good for this year.
The flip side is you want to try and avoid running some joker out there to play meaningful snaps at safety who should probably be sacking groceries if you think the team can and will be competitive.

We've seen wild card teams win superbowls.
bonfarr
AG
leakypipes said:

I believe the Cowboys have said** they would give a third rounder but Seattle won't budge off the second round pick for ET.

To get him this year they'll have to send Seattle a two. If not the Cowboys will get him next year without giving up a pick and Seattle gets a compensatory third.

**I don't believe they have said this publicly but the guys on Talking Cowboys seem to believe that the Cowboys have told Seattle they would give up a third for ET.

ET is going to play somewhere else this year, he isn't going to give up $8 million sitting on his couch and I don't see him playing out his contract with Seattle. I think it is now or never for Jerry.
gigem1223
DannyDuberstein said:

While I understand your thinking, Martin and Fredrick are both still likely to play week 1. You act as if they're lost for the year.... As another poster said, we're in a window with Dak's contract being nothing on the cap. IMO, we need to give ourselves the best chance to contend for a title in that window. ET certainly gives us that.
BassCowboy33
bonfarr said:

leakypipes said:

ET is going to play somewhere else this year, he isn't going to give up $8 million sitting on his couch and I don't see him playing out his contract with Seattle. I think it is now or never for Jerry.

He's actually given a bunch of it up by not showing up to camp. He's accrued over $1 million in fines from the Seahawks thus far.

Agree with Duberstein. A 2nd is too high a price for a player not guaranteed to be on the roster for more than one season.
BassCowboy33
DMN: Why the Cowboys still aren't desperate for Earl Thomas

This appears to be (at least) part of their thinking.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Read my post again. You're acting as if I said don't do the trade at all. All I said was that I want more clarity into their injuries before pulling the trigger, particularly Frederick's. I don't think anyone here is in position to know the extent of his issue. The Cowboys don't even seem to know.

A 2 is very expensive for a 16 games rental. So I'd like to make it count

jr15aggie
AG
I've been a big advocate of trading for ET. I think in my heart I know giving away a 2nd rounder isn't wise, but my lack of patience really wants to get this done!

But the more I hear the more it sounds like Seattle isn't willing to do anything at the moment. And why should they? He's under contract, he can keep paying the team the fines for not being there and pay more if he tries to hold out during the season.
bonfarr
AG
Radio says we are going after George Iloka, a veteran safety recently cut by the Bengals. Jerry sure loves Boise State guys.

This may signal that the Jaeks won't budge on the 2 and Jerry wants to bring a vet in on a 1 year deal. I think we are trying to get him for a reasonable 1 year offer
expresswrittenconsent
S Jeron Johnson signed per Todd Archer
bonfarr
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

S Jeron Johnson signed per Todd Archer

He was out of football and coaching high school, I wonder what kind of shape he is in.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
BassCowboy33
PooDoo
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

That's what happens when you draft smart guys.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Well, other than the rookie, Frederick is the one guy I'd prefer to lose if we had to lose one. Looney has been playing really well. Travis is the QB of our line though and he's one helluva player, so that's the best I can make out of a $#!^ sandwich. Hopefully some rest for a few weeks is enough.

Has Deonte Thompson been playing? I know he was getting a lot of praise early in training camp but I don't recall seeing him in the games yet. Just wondering if his roster spot is in doubt... Tavon and Gallop have been playing lights out and Lance Lenoir has simply done everything he's been asked to do.

. . .
rsf0626
Well ****. I hope joe looney is ready to go. This is a big time loss if he cant return

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.