*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,089 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FiveThirtyEight did a great piece about this last year. Almost 100% of Dak's statistical regression last year was due to Dez being bad. The Cowboys featured Dez more, and Dez performed worse. Dak's passer rating throwing to Dez was in the 50's. Throwing to everyone else combined it was in the high 90's. At least last year, we were a worse offense statistically with him getting any attention at all. This for a guy making top 5 money at his position.

From an eyeball test Dez was bad last year. I can only remember one good catch and run from him all year, and I can remember a lot lf drops, fumbles, and tipped balls.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

FiveThirtyEight did a great piece about this last year. Almost 100% of Dak's statistical regression last year was due to Dez being bad. The Cowboys featured Dez more, and Dez performed worse. Dak's passer rating throwing to Dez was in the 50's. Throwing to everyone else combined it was in the high 90's. At least last year, we were a worse offense statistically with him getting any attention at all. This for a guy making top 5 money at his position.

From an eyeball test Dez was bad last year. I can only remember one good catch and run from him all year, and I can remember a lot lf drops, fumbles, and tipped balls.
i can see this being possible.

i remember so many games last year thinking "he's just trying to force it to Dez right now and not even looking in other directions". he's gota step up now though and take a leadership role enough to be able to tell Bryan to STFU and he'll throw the ball to whoever the hell he damn wants to throw it to.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Found the article:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dak-prescott-should-start-ignoring-dez-bryant/

Quote:

Most damningly, Prescott's passer rating collapses when he targets Bryant the opposite of what is supposed to happen with a No. 1 wide receiver. When throwing to Bryant, Prescott is 53-for-103 for 578 yards, with four TDs and three picks. That's a 69.2 rating, which would rank 35th in the NFL, between C.J. Beathard and Tom Savage.

In Elliott's absence, things have gotten even worse. Prescott has a 54.4 rating when throwing to Bryant

Quote:

On all non-Bryant passes, Prescott's rating of 95.3 is well above the NFL average.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
Thanks for posting... I only read your quotes but that's interesting.

It's definitely concerning, but I'm curious... did the article run the same analysis on Dak to Dez in 2016? I think it's relevant because, for whatever reason, the entire offense sputtered last year. It wasn't strictly a Dez problem. Beasley wasn't getting open either, the other team was jumping our routes all season long.

Amazing Moves
ramblin_ag02 said:

I think you can contribute much of Dak's problems to Linehan's incessant need to run shotgun passing plays. Scott regressed back to his comfort zone last season. To the overall offense's detriment. Sure, Dez didn't help with his attitude and lack of big play making. However, play action roll outs, fakes, misdirection bootlegs etc were not the go to play calling (that worked) like in 2016.

Every time Dak spinned around to audible in the gun, I wanted to throw my remote through the screen. Plus it would be nice to have a downfield passing game.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'm sure those endless check downs help Dak's non Dez rating too.
gigem1223
Wow. Honey Badger to the Texans for 1 yr $7M. Never would've guessed he'd sign for 1 year somewhere and for only $7M.
jr15aggie
AG
Outside his name... He's a situational player who's been constantly hurt. Don't get me wrong, guy is a baller, but this is a one year "bet on himself" contract. And 7 mil is a good chunk of any teams salary cap... It's about what I expected for him.
gigem1223
With the crazy spending going on this year, If he would've actually shopped the market he could've gotten more and a longer contract.
Ag Natural
AG
Honey Badger is a very good player but there is a reason AZ let him walk.
PooDoo
AG
I didn't think Matthieu would take less than Kitchens.
Another oft injured playmaker for Houston's defense. Good deal for them.
. . .
PooDoo
AG
Guess Jones, Awuzie, and Lewis will be our starters at CB... I don't mind getting younger but it's not like Scandrick wasn't making plays last year.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Hope they can land Boston
PooDoo
AG
Keith Smith to the Raiders

https://instagr.am/p/BgXdpbiH3QM

I wonder if they are going to try to get Jaylon's brother to move in as his replacement?

The only other non big name F/A I'm worried about replacing is deep snapper Ladouceur. That guy is solid.
Daveintx
Meanwhile the Jones family is vacationing with the Romos and Wittens... Let that sink in... the General Manager skipped out on the first week of free agency to go hang on a beach
BMX Bandit
Daveintx said:

Meanwhile the Jones family is vacationing with the Romos and Wittens... Let that sink in... the General Manager skipped out on the first week of free agency to go hang on a beach

There's not a single player cowboys missed on signing because of that
TheCougarHunter
AG
Wilbur gone now. That leaves what, 4 LBs on the roster now?
Ag Natural
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Wilbur was a career ST contributor. Not worth spending any money on him.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Ag Natural said:

TheCougarHunter said:

Wilbur was a career ST contributor. Not worth spending any money on him.

It's called depth. You also need special teams players. Guess we shouldn't have paid Hitchins either and go into the draft with 3 LBs on the entire roster
jr15aggie
AG
You're dang right we shouldn't have paid Hitchens! I'm on my phone so you can look it up, but the guy is making more than Sean Lee. Crazy money being spent on free agents as usual.

And before anybody says "The Eagles are making moves"... Yeah, and they are currently several million over the cap. Gonna have to part with some key guys (they already have) and do some serious damage to future cap space to make it work.

I'm not saying the Cowboys are making all the right decisions, but doing deals with guys like Hitchens for mega millions isn't gonna work!
Southlake
Can't blame the Eagles. They're Time is now. Not sure the Cowboys are even close to being better next year. Jones counting on catching lightning in a bottle with the draft.
. . .
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22827142/dallas-cowboys-keep-long-snapper-lp-ladouceur

Quote:

Offensive linemen Cameron Fleming, Marcus Martin and LaAdrian Waddle are expected at The Star this week. Wide receivers Dontrelle Inman and Justin Hunter are also expected to visit.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765732/for-cowboys-free-agent-journey-set-to-start-and-they-cant-afford-misses
Scandrick to DC (2 yrs, $10M)
jr15aggie
AG
Another X Cowboy headed to the Skins, huh. Typical free agent, fingers crossed, sorta deal. He can still play, but he's had a hard time staying the field the last couple years. I felt like this was a good one to let go. Gotta let our young guys play.
Southlake
Hate losing Scandrick to the Skins. No experience in our backfield now.
TheCougarHunter
AG
They need to go get Boston yesterday
jr15aggie
AG
Who? When you say Boston I keep thinking David Boston from years gone by.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Tre Boston, safety for the Chargers
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
J_R said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22827142/dallas-cowboys-keep-long-snapper-lp-ladouceur

Quote:

Offensive linemen Cameron Fleming, Marcus Martin and LaAdrian Waddle are expected at The Star this week. Wide receivers Dontrelle Inman and Justin Hunter are also expected to visit.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765732/for-cowboys-free-agent-journey-set-to-start-and-they-cant-afford-misses
Scandrick to DC (2 yrs, $10M)

Impressive game changing names there.
. . .
jr15aggie
AG
So weird! So us and the Raiders went the long way around to swap fullbacks. Did Dallas save money by doing this instead of just re-signing Smith? Is this guy an upgrade or downgrade to Smith? I'm so confused at the small ball Dallas likes to play in free agency!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Daveintx said:

There's not a single player cowboys missed on signing because of that
i am not a member on Scout but there's an article by Mike Fisher that seems to imply they missed out on Honey Badger because of this vacation.

maybe someone with a membership can verify.
BMX Bandit
here is the article.

https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Article/The-Badger-Vs-The-Bahamas-How-The-On-Vacation-Dallas-Cowboys-Blew-It-On-Tyrann-Mathieu-116358290

no substance to it.

(didn't realize phone lines weren't working in the Bahamas)
jr15aggie
AG
Honey Badger is really just a name at the moment. Often hurt and no true position. Now, it may be a valid argument to say the Cowboys coaching staff should be more creative with it's players... but the truth is, this guy requires you to be creative and scheme your defense so that he can make plays.

In other news, Jonathan Cooper to the 49'ers. What a disappointing career after so much draft hype. Can't miss guard prospect to journeyman. Glad he wasn't pursued by Dallas, his latest surgery alone will have him missing most, if not all, of the off-season workouts.

It will be one of the most damning pieces of evidence against this coaching staff if they fail (again) to find a LG to plug in and play with this pro-bowl line.
gigem1223
I'd rather them bring Fleming in and move Collins back to LG.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.