*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,120 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Rush has shown some potential to be more than a generic backup and I'd be interested to see, but to state you think he is better than Dak is not based on anything in the realm of facts.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

Remember, the Eagles had a great pass catching play making TE in Celek

In 2013, yes. Not sure why relevant now.
jr15aggie
AG
Some general information to pass along listening to post draft stuff.

The Rams approached the Cowboys before the draft about Tavon Austin so the Cowboys had time to consider it going into the draft. There were definitely some Dunbar type speed backs in the draft and the Cowboys visited with a few of them, but they were gone by the time the Cowboys finished getting other guys in the 3rd & 4th so they pulled the trigger. Stephen said he pictures Tavon touching the ball a dozen, possibly a couple dozen times a game if you include the return game. They want to use the speed and keep defenses from simply loading up on Zeke.

After the deal for Austin was done, the Raiders approached the Cowboys about Switzer (remember, our special teams coach is not over there) and they were able to swap players that weren't really fitting on either team anymore.
Macarthur
I've watched some youtube on Jordan Chunn and that dude has something.
PooDoo
AG
During this draft the thing I think was the biggest change in philosophy was the Switzer trade.

I know they didn't make the call but they realized he was expendable and moved him while he still had value.

That's what I hope they can do with one of their QB's. Figure out who is the lesser QB of the 3 and let him have success in the preseason and hope he doesn't have to play during the regular season and expose himself.

Then trade him for a pick.
PooDoo
AG

No brace for 54.
jr15aggie
AG
Gonna be so awesome if he turns into a stud. What a story that will make.

But it still wasn't worth a 2nd IMO. Didn't play his first year and was taken advantage of last year. Unlike the last two drafts, the Cowboys should have been more patient and let him fall to them in the 3rd or 4th round. And if he didn't, you move on.
Grapesoda2525
Call your shot

Do you think the cowboys make the playoffs next year?

I'd say yes because they have Elliot back for all 16 games hopefully
gigem1223
Yes, it's an even number year. I think this defense takes another step forward and the running game/ OL will control football games. 10-6 wild card.
jr15aggie
AG
I think so, if we stay relatively healthy. Our Dline should be stout (if Irving is playing) and our 2nd year DBs, including the safety everybody forgets about) should take the next step and be better solid.

It really comes down to this offenses ability to consistently move the ball like in 2016. They had no rythm last year. Solidifying the oline was a great place to start!
DannyDuberstein
AG
He needs to turn into a stud in the next 2 years or he'll be someone else's stud. That's part of my issue with drafting guys that aren't healthy as rookies (and with questions about their 2nd year). You only get these guys on the cheap for 4 years, so even if your gamble that they'll "make it" works out, it's not much of a payback.
bonfarr
AG
Jj Wilcox and Terrell McLain were both released in the last 24 hours. I think we should make McLain a reasonable offer as he could provide bonafide depth at DT. If we don't sign Thomas I would be ok with bringing Wilcox back for a 1 or 2 year deal for depth. Both already know Marinelli's system.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
jr15aggie
AG
We all knew Wilcox was overpaid! I'm not sure we'd bring him back though... Woods played a pretty good strong safety for us last year and I'm not sure you want a progress stopper like Wilcox hanging around. What we need is another free safety with center field / covering skills.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Agree on trying to bring Mclain back. At a reasonable cost of course.

As for the playoffs at this time I dont think Dallas makes it.
bonfarr
AG
Offer McClain a 2 year deal for $2 mil a year with very little guaranteed money. If he says no move on with what we have.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Southlake
Hopefully, if we stay healthy, a wildcard spot in the playoffs, maybe 10-6? I think Philly will be too tough to catch.
jtstanley4621
AG
Southlake said:

Hopefully, if we stay healthy, a wildcard spot in the playoffs, maybe 10-6? I think Philly will be too tough to catch.
I just still don't have much confidence in Garrett at the helm. I think he is totally kept afloat by superior talent. If the talent is close to a wash and it comes down to scheme creativity or adjustments, I have virtually no faith in him.
Macarthur
That's how i feel.

I think JG is, at best, average. I can't ever remember going into a game thinking we could steal one because our guys are just so much more well coached than the other team.

I think coaching can swing your record one game plus or minus. For the most part, I think he's JAG as far as coaches go.

Of course, one game is huge when there's only 16 of them.

The schedule looks really tough but who really knows. Remember the NFL turns over something like 60% of the playoff teams each year so it stands to reason we may get in this year.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to Talking Cowboys from yesterday, when they brought up safety they claimed one of the coaches was saying, "don't forget about Jameill Showers, after 2 years of working the new position he has a chance to help us here".

Hey look, I'm always happy for Aggies in the NFL... But c'mon, that guy must have been working late one night and walked in on Jerry in a compromising position! There is no other way to explain why he's been hanging around so long!

On a serious note, they also said the team will be exploring bringing Mclain back... they are pretty sure the Wilcox ship has sailed though. I think most of us agree with both cases.
bonfarr
AG
Agree about Showers. I just assumed he was a camp body that may be able to play special teams for a few years that has some value as an emergency 3rd QB if he was on an active roster. I never envisioned him as competing for the 2 deep. If he does stay on major props to him.
Macarthur
In watching video of guys, the queiro kid looks really interesting

PooDoo
AG
Good football instincts and hopefully they are enough to make up for that 4.7 40 time.
gigem1223
Impressive film. Kid really seems to have a nose for the ball.
bonfarr
AG
For those like myself that were disappointed we didn't draft Shaquiem Griffin when we needed linebackers...his draft stock plunged in the weeks leading up to the draft when it was learned the 4.38 forty time from the combine wasn't legit. The timekeeper started late and his adjusted score was 4.58. still good for a linebacker but not a big enough WOW to make people forget his other supposed limitations. I still think he is a good football player and will be a solid contributor in the NFL but can understand if we passed for other needs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/brobible.com/sports/article/shaquem-griffin-40-yard-draft/amp/
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

make people forget his other supposed limitations.
nice job of being tactful
752bro4
AG
Not sure what you're referencing... can you give me a hand?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would, but I'm stumped.
jr15aggie
AG
I don't like where this is going, I'm going to take a hands off approach here!
bonfarr
AG
I completely understand Jerry not wanting to go out on a limb with a risky draft pick like Griffin.
752bro4
AG
So.... Jerry handled it well?
gigem1223
I had him pegged as a 4th round talent
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Quote:

I think JG is, at best, average
I think you're being very generous.

I'm not ready to call him a complete liability as a head coach, but he certainly brings zero plus factor as a coach and there have been so many instances where he's been a negative. If he has another Atlanta-esque game this year then yes, he's a complete liability and should be replaced in the off-season barring some amazing January.
98Ag99Grad
AG
saw a report today Connor Williams has a torn meniscus. I know he battled injuries this year so I'm assuming this was known before the draft? A torn meniscus isn't the end of the world at least.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's a Cowboy 2nd round pick. He is legally required to have some sort of ailment
Vince Blake
Out of curiosity--has a sip ever played for the Cowboys that was worth a damn? I'm sure there is, just can't think of one. All Roy Williams (WR) ever provided was a reason to draft Dez. At least we have Kevin Smith and Dat that we can point to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.