*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,106 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't get too carried away judging units in the first preseason game. You're not supposed to be impressed by units wih a lot of future truck drivers mixed in very early.
Street_Cred_Norm
Too bad Cole wears #11 as it would fun fi r us old guys to see Mike White with that number.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
TyHolden
AG
sherman plays for the 48ers now?
TyHolden
AG
3Will for the first down. very nice play.
jr15aggie
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

Too bad Cole wears #11 as it would fun fi r us old guys to see Mike White with that number.

Hadn't thought of that. As a kid I always assumed Danny was a terrible QB. It wasn't until later I learned he was pretty awesome, I just happened to only remember his last couple years after his arm had gone and the team was pretty bad too.

Now Babe Laufenberg on the other hand, that guy was a terrible NFL QB.
TyHolden
AG
Are we nothing but slot receivers now? Jack Pardee coming back to coach the team?
jr15aggie
AG
Haha. Yeah I thought the same thing last night. I've never really seen Hurns or Gallop in a live game. Pretty much all the WRs look tiny and/or very lean.

The good news is that this offense can at least attempt to do what it does best. Make the defense respect Zeke and let Dak spread the ball around. It's not like the WRs are rejects, they can get it done if the gameplan is right.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gallup looked good to me, and anything but small. Dude is 6'1" 205 and chiseled. He's a bit smaller than Dez (6'2", 220), but there is nothing wrong with his size. What happens with this WR corps depends a great deal on his development, and I'm very encouraged by what I've heard and seen so far.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll have to go back and see on Gallup. My memory from last night was more lean than chiseled, but no arguments on the player. On the TD I know that DB didn't play the ball very well, but Gallop hit another gear once he located the ball mid flight and went and got the ball. He should, at the very least, be a pretty good WR for us the next 4 years.

Liked what I saw from Taco last night. Guy was very noticeable. In particular, several times he sniffed out the bootleg and was chasing the QB forcing bad throws. To me it's night and day his awareness on the field. Physically he now looks the part and looks good coming off the ball. No more of that stuck in mud look we saw last year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He doesn't have Dez size or level of chisel, but the list that do is awfully short. Gallup is the same playing weight as Michael Irvin.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I guess the Dez and Julio Jones types don't grow on trees.
bonfarr
AG
The muscle between Gallup's ears is way more developed than Dez's and that is the big difference. He is smarter and way more emotionally stable.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Ag Natural
AG
The word from Cowboys insiders is that Gallop has a chance to be a VERY good WR. His route running is off the charts especially for a young guy. I keep hearing them say he is constantly getting separation. And last night was just one night but he did show the ability to get open on those two deep balls. If Rush makes a decent throw Gallop may have had two TDs instead of just one.

Personally, I think the need for a big outside WR is overblown. It's all about having guys who know their routes and run them effectively. Beasely didn't even play last night and he's been touted as the best in camp. Also I was pretty impressed with Tavon Austin as an inside WR as well.
bonfarr
AG
I liked what I saw from our defense last night with the exception of Anthony Brown. Once we get Maliek and Irving back I won't worry about the DL much. Those 2 with Datone Jones, Jihad Ward, and Price inside will be the best shape we have been in a while. I like our LBs alot.

After last night I am even firmer in belief that Jerry needs to get the ET deal done. Injecting him into the lineup and locker room would be a huge spark for that defense. We have some good young talent and depth but could use a fiery vet to lead it.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, Gallop had smoked that DB and Rush threw a dying floater. Horrible pass from Cooper. Bush league!

And to bonfarr's comments. I agree. Hard to say if Irving even comes back at this point, his life is pretty messed up / complicated it sounds. But yeah, the D-line could be very talented and deep. The LB'ers are also in great shape it appears.

And I already agreed with your ET comment in one of my recent posts. We are really close to having a really salty defense. It's time to get the deal done and let's hopefully get at least 2 full seasons of a truly ELITE safety and then maybe a couple more of a really good vet. safety.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

After last night I am even firmer in belief that Jerry needs to get the ET deal done. Injecting him into the lineup and locker room would be a huge spark for that defense. We have some good young talent and depth but could use a fiery vet to lead it.
I was all for it on draft day but not now. It's hard enough for free agents to pick up schemes and develop chemistry with their position group from just one offseason, and ET wouldn't even have an offseason here. I don't think you could expect anything great out of him until we get him here for a least a season and offseason. Even then, that's another year of tread on the tires
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bonfarr
AG
Would he be better than Jeff Heath after practicing with the team for only 2 or 3 weeks? I have no doubt he would be .

He would make us better immediately so I say pull the trigger.
jr15aggie
AG
His old DB coach is already here. He'd walk in here and day 1 be the best safety we've had since Woodson retired!
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He doesn't have Dez size or level of chisel, but the list that do is awfully short. Gallup is the same playing weight as Michael Irvin.
I'll take a receiver that can get open over an athlete any day.
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like Washington just lost Guice for the season (rookie RB out of LSU). That sucks, he was gonna be pretty good for them.

Good news for the Cowboys, but I hate that for him.
PooDoo
AG
You bring Earl Thomas to this defense... the payoff would be huge.

Plus you have a trial year to kick the tires before you have to pay him.

See what bringing Malcom Jenkins in did for the Saints defense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't want to give up a good pick AND have to pay a soon-to-be 30 year old ET. Would really have to be the right deal, which I dont think is there
bonfarr
AG
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/08/10/cowboys-need-earl-thomas-now-ever-not-reasons-may-thinking

Cowlishaw is thinking exactly as I am on the ET matter.
jr15aggie
AG
bonfarr said:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/08/10/cowboys-need-earl-thomas-now-ever-not-reasons-may-thinking

Cowlishaw is thinking exactly as I am on the ET matter.

Exactly my feelings.

Maybe the best way I can say it is it's obvious the 92 Cowboys were gonna be dang good. With Haley they became one of the best of all time.

This year's Cowboys could be a pretty good team as they are... Thomas could make them a serious contender. Not sure why they don't jump on this window of opportunity and take their shot.
98Ag99Grad
AG
What's the asking price for ET? are we talking 2-3 round or more like 5th?
jr15aggie
AG
The word is both teams were talking about a #2 during the draft. Cowboys were fine with it until Connor Williams fell in their laps. It was a very pleasant surprise and killed the deal.

I think Seattle still has a 2nd rounder in mind. In the Cowboys mind that's too high sight unseen... Meaning not knowing who the prospects are next year and what our team needs will be. I think Dallas still has a 3rd rounder on the table. It's possible they've offered a 3rd and maybe another later pick, but Seattle, for obvious reasons, really wants their 2.

I wouldn't be mad if the Cowboys gave them the 2, I'm impatient at this point to make a splash in the playoffs. But at the same time, those are important picks and your better be right when you trade it away.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

The word is both teams were talking about a #2 during the draft. Cowboys were fine with it until Connor Williams fell in their laps. It was a very pleasant surprise and killed the deal.

I think Seattle still has a 2nd rounder in mind. In the Cowboys mind that's too high sight unseen... Meaning not knowing who the prospects are next year and what our team needs will be. I think Dallas still has a 3rd rounder on the table. It's possible they've offered a 3rd and maybe another later pick, but Seattle, for obvious reasons, really wants their 2.

I wouldn't be mad if the Cowboys gave them the 2, I'm impatient at this point to make a splash in the playoffs. But at the same time, those are important picks and your better be right when you trade it away.
I'm not a Jeff heath fan. Would love to see ET traded here, but I'm losing hope.

I think he would help improve the secondary. Darren Woodson is the last great safety we had right? It's been awhile.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, Woodson was the last... Been searching ever since.

Perhaps this is even more proof of what a good safety can do. Technically Roy Williams should have been our most recent great safety. He was pretty bad ass his first few years... And then Woodson retired and he got completely exposed.
TJJackson
jr15aggie said:

Perhaps this is even more proof of what a good safety can do. Technically Roy Williams should have been our most recent great safety. He was pretty bad ass his first few years... And then Woodson retired and he got completely exposed.

The league also took away his best weapon, The Horsecollar tackle.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

jr15aggie said:

I'm not a Jeff heath fan. Would love to see ET traded here, but I'm losing hope.

They don't play the same position....

If Dallas trades for ET, it won't matter to Heath. Woods will be the man out.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

Neither Roy Williams will be remembered fondly for me.

The safety Roy Williams...... I always think of that one game where he got burned for 2 touchdowns in what the last 2 minutes of the game on very deep passes. We lost 14-13. He was tough and a good hitter, but couldn't cover very well. Dan Snyder was running around his box like a school girl and Joe Gibbs celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. That game was nauseating and I never forgave Roy Williams for it. That shouldn't happen in the NFL.

The wide receiver Roy Williams. I remember we gave up a lot to get him and he didn't contribute much while he was here. We had to put up with all of the wide receivers mimicking his annoying "first down" point or celebration thing.

DannyDuberstein
AG
OU Roy Williams was built for the era of football played prior to the 2000's, where blowing up the running game and occasionally covering a lumbering TE was about all a SS needed to do. And sip Roy Williams just sucked. Big lumbering wr that could not get separation.
Rossko
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

OU Roy Williams was built for the era of football played prior to the 2000's, where blowing up the running game and occasionally covering a lumbering TE was about all a SS needed to do. And sip Roy Williams just sucked. Big lumbering wr that could not get separation.
Double lumbering! What does it mean?!?!
expresswrittenconsent
I hate you for bringing up that 14-13 MNF Santana Moss game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Adj - to move in a slow, heavy, awkward way

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.