*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,090 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

jr15aggie said:

BMX Bandit said:

If he was a free agent, he would not get $16mm from anyone.

Dez get his new deal yet?

In my defense, if Dez had been released at the beginning of free agency it would have been a lot different.

But yeah, I overestimated his market value. He probably could have gotten 10 though, before all the teams spent their money.
Southlake
Eagles had Alshon Jeffery and Ertz last year. Not bad.

Love Witten, but we've been needing to replace him for awhile now.

Teams are going to crowd the line for Dak and Zeke.

Grapesoda2525
Good news here

The NFL thinks the cowboys had the second best draft this year.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/05/dallas-cowboys-2018-nfl-draft-draft-grades-nfl/

Will Mcclay needs to be given a raise and retained at all costs.

If we get 5 more years of mcclay and Stephen Jones in the draft room this team will be in much better shape.
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

He pretty much has been already. I believe his current title is VP of Player Personnel. In other words, it's the best you can get when the current owner is also the GM. I'm pretty sure it's a known thing that he is the GM when Jerry steps down. Last year he turned down another VP position.

I agree he's good and it appears he's willing to wait his turn for the title.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

He pretty much has been already. I believe his current title is VP of Player Personnel. In other words, it's the best you can get when the current owner is also the GM. I'm pretty sure it's a known thing that he is the GM when Jerry steps down. Last year he turned down another VP position.

I agree he's good and it appears he's willing to wait his turn for the title.
The other good news was that phillys draft was rated #18 overall.

Need to catch up to those guys somehow. I bet they win the east this year, but we need to snag a wild card.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He was on BAD last week. Definitely came off as a guy very deep into the football side and less interested in the business/$$$ side that goes with being a GM - in fact, he basically said as much in so many words. They asked if he'd been offered a GM job elsewhere, and his answer was no but that's because he turns down the interviews.
PooDoo
AG
I can't remember how long he's been with the Cowboys but he coached the Desparados after Coach Joe. Probably been around long enough to know where he stands with the Jones family.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, quite a history with the family and it's apparent he's got a lot of power in helping run the organization. Jerry seems to mostly be GM in name only at this point. I think Stephen and McClay are basically splitting the real GM duties with Stephen on point for $$$ and McClay on point for personnel , and I don't think that will change much when Jerry is fully out of the picture. Not sure who will be bestowed the official GM title, but I don't think it matters. I think Stephen will remain on point for the business/$$$ side ans McClay on personnel. Then there will be Charlotte to cover business operations.
jtstanley4621
AG
Anyone watching the All or Nothing Amazon series?

Jourdan Lewis had a pretty damn intense practice exchange with Dez during the series. Definitely did not back down from any kind of challenge at all. Excited to see how he develops. He's definitely got a lot of moxie
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, Lewis excites me. Would have been a 1st rounder if not for the crazy chick thing he was cleared of. Missed most of camp but still played well as a rookie. Awuzie played really well too. Just gotta keep those guys healthy and we'll be rock solid at cb this year.
birdman
How did the Witten retirement news leak out? I haven't paid as much attention as I typically do. I'm guessing it's a MNF who couldn't keep his mouth shut.

With a Cowboy lifer like Witten, you would think Dallas and Witten would keep it quiet until after the draft. No reason to show the other 31 teams your hole cards.
jteagle
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, quite a history with the family and it's apparent he's got a lot of power in helping run the organization. Jerry seems to mostly be GM in name only at this point. I think Stephen and McClay are basically splitting the real GM duties with Stephen on point for $$$ and McClay on point for personnel , and I don't think that will change much when Jerry is fully out of the picture. Not sure who will be bestowed the official GM title, but I don't think it matters. I think Stephen will remain on point for the business/$$$ side ans McClay on personnel. Then there will be Charlotte to cover business operations.
If this is true then they should be able to finally go out and get a coach that is a winner. I personally think that has been Jerry's downfall more than anything else.
PooDoo
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Notice I wrote "mostly", and by that I mean a large portion of the roster asswmbly, cap management, etc. But clearly, who coaches the team is the biggest decision a GM will make and Jerry is still in control there.
jr15aggie
AG
Just checking in... still no Earl Thomas... OK, c'ya later!
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur
Saw an interesting thought on another site.

TAlking about how the cowboys almost never ran no TE packages with Witten (10 or 20)

Will be interesting to see if we see more of a 'power spread' with this team and will be interesting to use the 20 package with Austin and Zeke on the field at the same time. Something to think about.

I think Linehan has the ability to show some creativity this year.
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur said:

Saw an interesting thought on another site.

TAlking about how the cowboys almost never ran no TE packages with Witten (10 or 20)

Will be interesting to see if we see more of a 'power spread' with this team and will be interesting to use the 20 package with Austin and Zeke on the field at the same time. Something to think about.

I think Linehan has the ability to show some creativity this year.
He sure better
BMX Bandit
jr15aggie said:

In my defense, if Dez had been released at the beginning of free agency it would have been a lot different.

But yeah, I overestimated his market value. He probably could have gotten 10 though, before all the teams spent their money.
Disagree with that assessment.

These teams all still have a ton of cap space and need WR:

Colts, 49ers, Titans, Jets, Bills
jr15aggie
AG
Well, I did already acknowledge that I overestimated his value in previous posts. But I still say it does make a difference that he got cut late in free agency and so close to the draft. As we know, sometimes you ignore talented players simply because you have already built your team differently, you don't want him to be a progress stopper for a young guy, etc.

Had teams been able to evaluate him at the start of free agency, he would be on a team right now at a decent price (but I'll concede, he wouldn't have gotten Sammy Watkins money which I argued he would previously).

All that said, there's more to Dez than what us fans can see. And it's telling that teams see these "extra" qualities and don't feel it's worth the hassle.
jr15aggie
AG
Cowboys bringing in McClain for a visit this week. That's great news! I think a lot of us felt like we needed one more quality reps guy for our D-line. McClain definitely gives you that... won't even be a surprise if he starts.

Would be a good signing I think. Our D-line has the potential to really push the pocket and pressure the QB this year. Friggin David Irving needs to keep his ---- together!
ramblin_ag02
AG
I feel sort of the opposite about Dez. I think he's a good guy to have around character-wise. He grew up a lot while he was here and went from a headache to a leader. I can't remember the last time I heard a bad story about him, not counting the locker room gossip columnists.

I think he just isn't any good anymore. Last year he was the one of the highest paid WR, one of the most targeted WR, and by far the least productive compared to others paid and targeted so well.

I think a lot of teams would want him at a steep discount to have a veteran presence and experience, but his on the field production just isn't there anymore.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
Let me clarify on your post... I 100% agree about Dez and how he's matured and takes care of his business... credit to him for being who he is considering his upbringing.

What I was referring to was the stuff that the Dallas guys hinted at. For example, he's so amped up all the time and doesn't know how/when to turn it off. We've seen that ourselves on the sidelines... next thing you know he fumbles. That's the kind of stuff that I think Dallas got tired of.

It's fine and dandy when you are one of the greats, the team can feed off of it. But when you aren't producing, that type of energy wears thin.
ac04
he's not good anymore and he was a complete pain in the ass. there's a reason he was never voted captain.
jtstanley4621
AG
It did just sort of feel like he lost some of his mojo. I forget what game it was but I remember Dak going deep and hitting him on a ball that should have been caught and it just bounced off his hands. He didn't display any kind of emotion, just jogged back to the huddle. Pretty bad body language.

That being said, I will be quite pissed if he goes somewhere and goes on to have a productive couple more seasons. There's no denying that the scheme this past year did him and Dak no favors.
Ag Natural
AG
Dallas went to him every time he was single covered. Last year especially he was single covered a lot and didn't deliver. He's a guy who has an amazing highlight reel but over the course of a game and a season he kills too many drives. If he was okay being in a Terrance Williams role where you get a couple of shots a game then that's great. But he wants constant attention and becomes a huge distraction otherwise.

Its telling when a guy has been in the league 9 years and can only run slants and go routes.
Grapesoda2525
What I hated about Dez was the drops. Thats just laziness. You're #1 should be good at catching the ball and he wasn't.
jr15aggie
AG
The drops were definitely annoying... it happens, but when you are getting paid the big bucks, it better be a once every few games, not every 1 or 2.

And in terms of his physical talents, it does appear he lost a step. Had two significant leg injuries, it's not uncommon to lose a step after that kind of stuff.
bonfarr
AG
If we sign McLain it will be awfully crowded on the DLine. We typically keep 8 on the roster.

Lawrence DE Lock
Charlton. DE Lock
Collins. DT. Lock
Armstrong. DE 4th Rd pick so assume a lock
Irving. DE/DT Lock but possible suspension?

Crawford DT. Probable lock
Kony Ealy. DE. Probable lock

Jihad Ward. DT. ??
Charles Tapper. DE. ??

Will need to fight for spot:
Neal. DE
Price. DT
Ash. DT

Possible FA:
Terrell McLain. DT. Do we have room?

Tapper really has to show something early if he wants to still be on the team, especially if Ealy plays well. I think the Cowboys want Jihad to replace Crawford next year. No way Crawford is kept with a $10 m cap hit next year. If we sign McLain and Ward works out Ash and Price are likely gone.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
PooDoo
AG
Don't forget Randy Gregory
98Ag99Grad
AG
PooDoo said:

Don't forget Randy Gregory

C'mon man.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Randy Gregory has smoked so much weed that he forgot Randy Gregory.
bonfarr
AG
What has Gregory been.doing for money? In the last 2.5 years he has only collected 2 or 3 game checks and I am sure he has spent that on weed and pizza. Is he living on someone's sofa?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
DannyDuberstein
AG
(nsfw language)
jr15aggie
AG
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23461433/randy-gregory-dallas-cowboys-preparing-application-seek-nfl-reinstatement

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.