*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,080 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
His TD return and draft status should be enough to keep him on the team for another year.
jr15aggie
AG
30 Visits List So Far

Here's how I interpret... the Cowboys are preparing the list of guys on O-line, D-line, and LB that they will be fine taking at 19 if they sit still. I'm still hoping somebody like Roquan falls into trade-up range. I'm probably OK with any of the defenders. No thanks 1st round o-line... we've invested so much in our line, our coaches plug the last hole with a mid-round guy or one of our current guys!

I'm seeing a LOT of interest in 2nd round WRs. I'm sorta surprised after our free agent investments. But hey, if Dak's your guy you gotta build him an offense right. Kirk or DJ Moore in the 2nd I can live with, but we are going to have to part with other picks and move up (which I'm fine with considering all of our comp picks).

I'm also hearing RB Nyheim Hines name a lot (more of a speed back, good compliment for us). Some have him listed as a 3rd round guy... at a guess I'm thinking the Cowboys would try and let him fall into the 4th and jump up to get him.
Vince Blake
Dream scenario is if somehow Roquan Smith, Derwin James, or Vita Vea make their way to 19. Highly unlikely. Though word is this is a thin OLine class...so maybe there will be an early run on those guys, pushing the D talent down.

Out of the guys listed in the article that may be available at 19...I really like Vander Esch followed by Payne. I don't recall too much about Taven Bryan from our game with Florida.

If they do go WR or G, I hope it is in a trade down scenario.
duck79
AG
Bryan was all over us all game. Now was that because he is a stud or our blocking scheme was trash?????
jr15aggie
AG
We've invested plenty into our O & D line. If our coaches can't get it done at those spots with the guys we have then they all deserve pink slips!

Now if the draft unfolds poorly for us and drafting somebody on the line is the best play, then fine. But I'll be disappointed if we don't at least try to move up for a guy like Roquan if he falls out of the top 10.
Street_Cred_Norm
Receiver would be a wasted pick. Defense or trade down.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
TheCougarHunter
AG
duck79 said:

Bryan was all over us all game. Now was that because he is a stud or our blocking scheme was trash?????

Probably us
Ag Natural
AG
Very little chance the Cowboys trade down. Jones has already said we have too many picks that will have no shot at making the team. So they will be trying to move up to get guys they want or if they trade down it will have to be for future picks.
. . .
1-year deal

jr15aggie
AG
This is a good deal. Dallas liked him as a draft prospect. They tried to get him last year too. Hardly a splash signing, but a guy they think can fit in nicely in our rotation and possible pick up a few sacks along the way.

Typical Dallas free agent move, but I like it.
Macarthur
This might be the best off season news ever!

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Tyron-Smith-feels-healthier-than-he-has-in-years-per-report-117077003
Macarthur
Was reading up on Antonio Callaway. At what point in the draft would you take a chance on him?

Clearly first round talent. He and agent are apparently saying all the right things in interviews.

I wondering if that compensatory pick in the 4th might not be a good spot, assuming we haven't already taken a WR.
Southlake
PatAg said:

Southlake said:

Witten should have been cut this year. I hate to say it, but he was marginally effective and now he's another year older.

There are plenty of articles with stays showing he was performing at at least league average. So he is actually earning his contract still.
Perhaps he is a "good deal" value now that he has restructured, but the fact remains that he's borderline ineffective and we need a threat at TE. Beginning of this post has TE as the Cowboys primary need. Jason would have been trimmed by the Patriots a couple seasons ago. I love the guy too, but he just isn't good anymor.
rsf0626
Looks like the end of Dez potentially in Dallas... jerry and dez meeting on Friday
jr15aggie
AG
rsf0626 said:

Looks like the end of Dez potentially in Dallas... jerry and dez meeting on Friday
This has been in the works for a while. Cowboys with some gamesmanship... waiting till most teams have spent a good chunk of their money and the Cowboys have a loaded (not necessarily with talent) WR corps.

I'd say it's very unlikely Dez isn't a Cowboy next year and he shouldn't be IMO. We have the potential to do some damage next year with several guys playing on 1 year deals or the final years of their contracts. I don't see a huge reason to let him go at this point.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

rsf0626 said:

This has been in the works for a while. Cowboys with some gamesmanship... waiting till most teams have spent a good chunk of their money and the Cowboys have a loaded (not necessarily with talent) WR corps.

I'd say it's very unlikely Dez isn't a Cowboy next year and he shouldn't be IMO. We have the potential to do some damage next year with several guys playing on 1 year deals or the final years of their contracts. I don't see a huge reason to let him go at this point.
Well except for the fact he hurts the team. The dude is a negative.
jr15aggie
AG
Not trying to start an argument, but how do you know he's a negative? Not like any of us have insider knowledge.

One of the things I know about Dez is he's one of the hardest working guys on the team and he hates losing. Perhaps he doesn't know how to channel it the way Irvin did, but there are similarities.

Last year sucked all around. I just think it's silly to forget how dominant Dez was after he returned from injury in 2016. Not to mention the consistent 1,000 yard double digit TD guy in recent years.
Ag Natural
AG
Well the numbers show it. He got targeted a bunch last year and didn't deliver. In my opinion, he stifles the offense. He demands attention from his QB and OC because if he's not getting looks he has tantrums on the sideline. Problem is he's not reliable and doesn't even get doubled anymore. Even Dez admits that's he's not a great route runner and at his age he isn't getting faster.

His only real above average skill is goal line 50/50 balls. So yeah, if he was willing to just come in the red zone I'd love to keep him. But he won't because he thinks he's still great. I'd rather cut bait and bring in some young and hungry guys with upside.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

Well the numbers show it. He got targeted a bunch last year and didn't deliver. In my opinion, he stifles the offense.

You aren't wrong, but I think it's extremely short sided only looking at last year. The oline wasn't right, Zeke wasn't right, and Dak wasn't right. Nothing worked. I think it's a bad idea to pin it all on Dez.

He still has a lot of value IMO.
. . .
Mike Elko
AG
Drafting Washington out of Okie St. to replace Dez would be ballsy by Jerrah. Here's to hoping it happens.
bilbobag
So where does Dez land? Indy? Seattle? Washington? Giants?
. . .
Todd Archer said:

The Cowboys have released Dez Bryant after the receiver's meeting with Jerry Jones, according to a source. A source said Bryant was not offered a pay cut, while another source added that Bryant will not be designated a post-June 1 cut. The Cowboys will save $8 million against the cap this season with the move.
MooreTrucker
AG
bilbobag said:

So where does Dez land? Indy? Seattle? Washington? Giants?
To play against Dallas, of course. And be motivated to prove something.
jr15aggie
AG
WOW!!!

I can't believe it, I really can't! I was completely wrong here and I don't agree with the move. I'm not sure how this helps us at all going forward. Not only that, why wait until now when Dez's chances of landing a big contract are minimized.

I hope I'm wrong and this ends up being a positive move for our team.
jr15aggie
AG
So um... after the dead money we do have extra cap space left over now right

TheCougarHunter
AG
Clown. Show.
HouseDivided06
AG
You think he was worth the $12+MM that we would have had to pay this year? The reason to wait until he can't get a better deal is leverage. Give him the option to play at a play cut or take his chance on the open market when other teams have used their money and met their needs. He will get a job, and it will likely be $10MM+, but it won't be what it would have been a month ago. This is a good move. He is being paid like a top 10 WR and ranked around 50 last year and couldn't get open and dropped the ball a lot. Wish him the best but not worth the headache or the money.
Macarthur
TheCougarHunter said:

Clown. Show.
Why?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Good move. I think he was negatively impacting Daks progress with his whining and antics demanding the ball.
ac04
disappointed because i like dez but its a good move for dallas and had to be done. what i don't understand is why they waited so damn long to do this.
MountainAg99
AG
I guess you forget the clown show that was the late 90s and early 2000's.

I am much happier with the decisions they are making lately with Stephen and Will McClay.
MountainAg99
AG
Like CB last year, I think we are going to see the let's get younger process start to emerge....perhaps not in mass quantity but it's started.
Daveintx
Not against Dez being gone, but at the same time, you are telling me you couldn't have gotten ANYTHING at all for him in trades??? Not even a 4th or 5th????
Vince Blake
Nobody was going to trade for Dez with his contract.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.