*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,064 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back to football... is T-Will going to get suspended after his best camp ever?
Ag12thman
AG
T-Will is gonna have to perform in games before I get excited over him. He's been a bust in far too many so far in his career.
expresswrittenconsent
He has a special Patrick Crayton ability to screw up in the biggest moments.
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

i did answer the question. You asked what I'd do. I told you what I'd do. I guess I need to spell out what "on my team, we stand for the anthem", but that means, on my team if you want to play, you stand. Would go for everyone.

I think Jerry's missteps involve talking about it publicly more than necessary vs. shutting down these media idiots. His policy is fine.

So you would sit Brady? Good for you for standing by your convictions. Do you think Jerry would sit Tom Brady?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
DannyDuberstein
AG
Here's the thing- it's just more complicated than that. Jerry builds great relationships with his players, particularly his star QBs. Which that comes with other downsides, but it's not just dumb luck that they haven't had guys kneeling. He talks to his guys, gains their respect, works out other options, and avoids it coming to that. If it did, at this point; I'll take them at their word.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

Here's the thing- it's just more complicated than that. Jerry builds great relationships with his players, particularly his star QBs. Which that comes with other downsides, but it's not just dumb luck that they haven't had guys kneeling. He talks to his guys, gains their respect, works out other options, and avoids it coming to that. If it did, at this point; I'll take them at their word.
Agree completely that it's more complicated than saying 'you kneel, you sit'.

I actually think that if they sat down and had a sincere conversation and Brady said, "Jerry, I respect you and your position, but I also feel obligated to support this teammate so I have decided I will kneel beside him."

There is no way in hell Jerry sits him. I think dealing in absolutes is dumb.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
Macarthur
And I hate that this is on this thread. I will stop unless someone wants to start another thread.
expresswrittenconsent
Love all the posts about how he builds a family atmosphere but what about winning?
Bottom 3 GM in the NFL. Haven't made it out of the divisional round in the last 23 seasons.
Ag12thman
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Love all the posts about how he builds a family atmosphere but what about winning?
Bottom 3 GM in the NFL. Haven't made it out of the divisional round in the last 23 seasons.
Amen.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like i posted before, there are downsides to his style.
Baby Billy
AG
Bold prediction:

We're going to have kicker problems this year, and Dan Bailey will be cut by mid season.

Had the yips at the end of last year and apparently still has them. A lot of the time once a kicker gets them, it's hard to get rid of them.
Mozart Paintings
AG

Saw this today. Definitely concerned.
Ag Natural
AG
I just notice Trey Williams was cut the other day. He has really struggled to stick with a team. I wonder if the CFL wold be a better fit.
MooreTrucker
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Best owner in the business.

Worst GM.
expresswrittenconsent
Yep
Mozart Paintings
AG
jjtontfjjtgm
BMX Bandit
You can't be the "best owner" when you keep the bad GM so long

Best businessman I will give him
Ag Natural
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Doesn't it depend on how you define "best owner"? The Cowboys were once again tagged the most valuable sports franchise in the World. I'd say that's pretty good ownership.

As for the GM, ever since Stephen took over the record is not in the bottom half of the league. Currently, the salary cap situation is finally not a killer and the team is trending up. Cutting Dez was a huge symbol to me that this team is done with its irrational over valuation of players.
MooreTrucker
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Yes, that's the definition I was using. One of the top sports franchises in the world.
BMX Bandit
the problem with using franchise value as the measure of a great owner is that means you have to believe Dan Snyder is the 4th best owner in NFL.

Jerry transformed how the NFL and teams do business in many ways. Thats why he is in the hall of fame and why he truly is one of best sports businessmen ever. While those things did positively effect franchise value for sure, the value of the Cowboys name preceded him and will be around after him. Thats why I dont think calling him the "Best owner" is a good description.

but its all really semantics on how you define the terms. Either way, Cowboys are still winning the NFC East.
bonfarr
AG
No sense debating Jerry's value as a GM, it is what it is and he isn't going to give up the title until he is six feet under. The question is will Stephen be a better GM? He seems to be more willing to let the football men call the shots. Maybe he will be satisfied just being an owner and hire a professional GM.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
jr15aggie
AG
I've always gotten the sense that Stephen will hire a GM. I've got no insider knowledge, but it feels and looks like Will McClay has been given a verbal "you're the guy when Jerry steps down" agreement. He's turned down at least one GM job already and they pretty much already pay him like a GM I believe.

I think he's just waiting his turn.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jr15aggie said:

I've always gotten the sense that Stephen will hire a GM. I've got no insider knowledge, but it feels and looks like Will McClay has been given a verbal "you're the guy when Jerry steps down" agreement. He's turned down at least one GM job already and they pretty much already pay him like a GM I believe.

Posted it before, but from someone I know in the league...

While Stephens football acumen is more respected around the league than Jerrys hes also apparently really arrogant and set in his own ways. Arrogant enough to wana be GM? Idk. Fact is while its up to interpretation i guess for some Stephen having supposedly more say in recent years hasn't brought much more success on the field than his dad.
Ag Natural
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

jr15aggie said:

Posted it before, but from someone I know in the league...

While Stephens football acumen is more respected around the league than Jerrys hes also apparently really arrogant and set in his own ways. Arrogant enough to wana be GM? Idk. Fact is while its up to interpretation i guess for some Stephen having supposedly more say in recent years hasn't brought much more success on the field than his dad.
Based on how we've seen the team operate, it doesn't matter who holds the GM title. Fans make too much of it. The reality is the owners are going to stay involved no matter what. The question is who do they lean on to make actual decisions? Stephen may be arrogant but he's also smart enough to fork over the cash to Mclay so he'll stay.
Macarthur
David Moore's post today made it sound like either the defense is going to be lights out or the offense is struggling mightily. Dak is not having a good camp so far, it seems.
PooDoo
AG
Just wait until they draft Spaulding's little cousin in the 1st round.
ac04
this offense is going to struggle. arguably the worst WR situation in the league and almost certainly the worst TE group. they're not going to be real difficult to defend.
gigem1223
Macarthur said:

David Moore's post today made it sound like either the defense is going to be lights out or the offense is struggling mightily. Dak is not having a good camp so far, it seems.

Dak has never had a "good" camp. He's a gamer.
gigem1223
ac04 said:

this offense is going to struggle. arguably the worst WR situation in the league and almost certainly the worst TE group. they're not going to be real difficult to defend.

They didn't seem to struggle last season with a healthy Tyron Smith and Zeke. This is with a #1 who dropped a lot of passes, ran piss poor routes and a TE who had no YAC. Yes Wit was good at getting open underneath coverage but half the time he was a liability on 3rd down IMO cuz he ran a lot of routes short of the sticks. I think this offense is going to be just fine with Tyron and Zeke back.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not worried about the wr/te situation being worse. It was limited already. Am concerned that Dak could very well be a JAG.
bonfarr
AG
I am worried about Dak as well, reports from practice are strangely muted like they don't want to outright report he looks bad but if you read between the lines his play hasn't been a bright spot in camp.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Legacy Work Spaces
That concern is LEGIT.

Not sure what got into him in 2016 and how he ended up playing so well, but I personally saw too many things last year that made me wonder about him. Things having nothing to do with Zeke or Dez Bryant or bad OL play.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm eager to see him in the preseason games. His rookie year, it was immediately clear that he had it going. If he goes out there and scuffles, the concern will kick in big-time.
Ag Natural
AG
Barring injury the Cowboys have the best OL in the league to go with a dominant running back. The WRS just need to do their job and not be ball dropping divas. Dak will execute. He doesn't need to be superman.

Honestly my only concern is the TE group. It sounds like none of these guys are reliable blockers. Witten was no game breaker but he was solid all around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.