*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,092 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

That's why Jerry taking risks on injured or mentally disturbed players in the draft drives me crazy. Value is hard to find in the NFL, and there are only 2 proven sources of value, elite quarterbacks and rooke contracts. Picking someone like Jaylon means you're already wasting a year on his contract, not to mention time the next year to get up to speed. And that's the best case scenario. After that you're paying market value and hoping he can play to his cap number. No matter how good they are it's hard to come out ahead after the rookie deal, and it's really easy to sign a bad contract.
Yep. You're taking a one year flyer on the guy and then hoping that he returns to his FULL pre-injury form, which would really be the only way to justify the selection as early in the second as it happened, especially when you passed on Myles Jack who had a pretty good year last season for the Jags.
ramblin_ag02
AG
It's even worse than that. You're not just expecting him to return to full pre-injury form. At that pick, and missing a year for sure, you're expecting him to return to full form and continue to develop to his pre-injury best-case projection. Even if he gets to back to his college-level best he'd be an average NFL player
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
jtstanley4621
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

It's even worse than that. You're not just expecting him to return to full pre-injury form. At that pick, and missing a year for sure, you're expecting him to return to full form and continue to develop to his pre-injury best-case projection. Even if he gets to back to his college-level best he'd be an average NFL player
I was under the impression that Smith was projected to be a top 10 draft pick and a high level NFL linebacker had he not been injured. But yeah, either way the outlook for the trajectory for him to justify the selection does not look good...
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ag Natural said:

honestly surprised Jerry Jones Jr has never been "me'tood' by one of these girls.
jr15aggie
AG
Rule number 1. Don't mess with Jerry Jones or his family.

Rule number 2. First, learn rule number 1.
PooDoo
AG
The run hard through many holes joke comes to mind.
gigem1223
ramblin_ag02 said:

Even if he gets to back to his college-level best he'd be an average NFL player

Well this is not true. Jaylon was considered an elite LB prospect and consensus top 10 pick before injury. If he gets back to his college level the Cowboys hit a homerun.
DannyDuberstein
AG
A very brief homerun if you get that guy for one season before UFA. I can see the strategy a little more at positions where if you do hit a homerun, it's the type of position you'd be willing to use the franchise tag and then work out a big deal. LB isn't one of those though. IMO when you pick injured guys from that group, you have immediately chopped his value by 25-50%. Eventual great player or not, that is hard to overcome.
jr15aggie
AG
A minor correction... he has 2 years left on his rookie contract. So if he is a "home run" this year we'll get him for 2 total years before it's decision time.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, he turns into an awesome player. The plus to taking a chance on him is we have the upper hand on keeping him if we choose. It's so much easier (and cheaper) to re-sign a draft pick to a contract extension than it is to grab one via free agency (partly because the franchise tag is always an option for the team).

The cons have been discussed already and I agree with them, but there are positives as well. However, as I've already said, I'm skeptical he'll be anything other than just a guy out there. At least he's got the right attitude and his work ethic is off the charts... we'll see!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm being realistic in expecting not to see any type of home run on the field in 2018. As opposed to Jerry, I'm occupying the real world.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Well this is not true. Jaylon was considered an elite LB prospect and consensus top 10 pick before injury. If he gets back to his college level the Cowboys hit a homerun.
Top picks are all based on potential. Rarely in college is anyone good enough to make a dent in the NFL without drastic improvement, especially at a size/strength position like LB. You're always drafting for how good someone could be, not how good they are at that exact moment. No one spends a top 10 pick on a player that will never get any better than they were when drafted. So Jaylon just getting back to his pre-injury status and not improving past that is still a major failure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm being realistic in expecting not to see any type of home run on the field in 2018. As opposed to Jerry, I'm occupying the real world.
On that I agree. Lots of hype, lots of hope, and I fully anticipate the training camp news to be "OMG Jaylon Smith"... but I can't help but feel once the season starts he'll just be a guy filling a spot.

We all hope that isn't the case, but the chances are slim of anything else. I'm rooting for him, but I'm keeping expectations low and hoping to be surprised!
alvtimes
How TH does Winston get 3 games after Elliott gets 6? O thats right.... he doesnt play for Dallas or New England.
PooDoo
AG
The dude is practically special needs.
jr15aggie
AG
Not sure why I'm commenting... We've already talked this to death. But yeah, Zeke's 6 game ban was flat out ridiculous. Shouldn't even have been banned, but 3 games would have been more appropriate. 6 games... You kidding me!
jr15aggie
AG
I just wanted to say thanks to the world cup and the "other" football... at least when ESPN.com is reporting on soccer scores they aren't trolling me with naked pictures of dudes and the occasional hot chick!
PooDoo
AG

jr15aggie
AG
Now Rueben Foster suspended for 2 games. What a freaking joke! The guy was actually caught with pot (which pretty much guarantees he's cheating the drug test system), was charged with a misdemeanor weapons possession, and had the same BSC girlfriend "he abused me" charges that the judge dropped.

2 games for Foster... 6 for Zeke. This is why we were so pissed as Cowboy fans. The league is a joke for this type of stuff! Unless I'm missing something in the Foster story, him and Zeke had very similar "abuse" claims that they were never charged for, but Foster had the two other misdemeanors on top of it. Bunch of BS!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23988821/nfl-suspends-san-francisco-49ers-lb-reuben-foster-2-games
BMX Bandit
jr15aggie said:

Now Rueben Foster suspended for 2 games. What a freaking joke! The guy was actually caught with pot (which pretty much guarantees he's cheating the drug test system), was charged with a misdemeanor weapons possession, and had the same BSC girlfriend "he abused me" charges that the judge dropped.

2 games for Foster... 6 for Zeke. This is why we were so pissed as Cowboy fans. The league is a joke for this type of stuff! Unless I'm missing something in the Foster story, him and Zeke had very similar "abuse" claims that they were never charged for, but Foster had the two other misdemeanors on top of it. Bunch of BS!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23988821/nfl-suspends-san-francisco-49ers-lb-reuben-foster-2-games

Drug suspension completely different rules.

And the abuse stories were not similar.
Rossko
AG
Why is Zeke training with the enemy?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/03/workout-video-of-odell-beckham-looks-like-the-receiver-of-old/

Quote:

Beckham was shown training at UCLA. Saquon Barkley said recently that he would train in Los Angeles with Beckham, Sterling Shepard and Ezekiel Elliott.
PooDoo
AG
Winston + Foster = Zeke

PooDoo
AG

More ET smoke. Heard on the radio yesterday that they were going to trade their 2nd but sip OL dropped then they called back to offer their 3rd but the Seahawks weren't interested. The host said they didn't even answer the call.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

More ET smoke. Heard on the radio yesterday that they were going to trade their 2nd but sip OL dropped then they called back to offer their 3rd but the Seahawks weren't interested. The host said they didn't even answer the call.
Not interested. We have enough problems with "smoke" on the team
Macarthur
I would do a 3rd for ET. Nothing higher than that.
jr15aggie
AG
He'll most likely be a Cowboy after this year regardless. Seattle would be wise to get what they can for him now.

I think Dallas did the right thing by drafting Williams and (hopefully) making our oline the absolute best in the NFL once again. I would love ET on this year's team, but that was the right move. Hopefully something can get worked out before camp, but it doesn't look likely.
gomerschlep
AG
gigem1223
Romo 4 points up going to the final hole in the American Century Championship.
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

Romo 4 points up going to the final hole in the American Century Championship.

Why the hell is he playing Golf!!! He should be focusing on his career. I'm telling you, this guys is never gonna win the big one!!!!!!!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pavelski missed some killer putts on the last few holes, particularly the short one for eagle on 18 that would have forced a playoff.
Mike Elko
AG
Randy Gregory reinstated. Over/under on how many weeks before he's suspended again?
Saint Pablo
AustinAg2012 said:

Randy Gregory reinstated. Over/under on how many weeks before he's suspended again?
He needs a good talking to from Stephen A. Smith and he will never be suspended again
DannyDuberstein
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Randy Gregory reinstated. Over/under on how many weeks days before he's suspended again?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Gregory hasnt been in football activities for 18 months.

Dude probably has the chances of an unrestricted rookie free agent to make an impact this year or even stay on the team.
gigem1223
Supposedly he's been sober for over a year now. I'm excited for him and what he can bring to the Cowboys. He certainly can help this team out. If he has a good year it makes letting Tank walk that much easier.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.