*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,107 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read somewhere that an NFL person said Randy's done more (during the suspension) than anybody ever has in the same situation. He was referring to staying clean and taking his life to a better place. I hope so, he's always seemed like a good guy.

With regards to football, yeah man, he's got a long ways to go there. This team isn't stacked on the D-line, but we've got a roster full of young guys the coaches & scouts really like. There isn't a spot for him, he's going to have to bump somebody else out of a job!

The Irving suspension may save him in the end. Having that one D-line spot to fill for the first 4 weeks may be the break he needed to sneak in and possibly show something.
bonfarr
AG
How big is he right now? Does he have the mass to play Dline after not playing or working out with the team for 2 years? He wasnt a big guy to begin with.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
PooDoo
AG
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/marinelli-admires-the-fight-from-gregory
Quote:

FRISCO, Texas The first three weeks of July usually don't provide much news for any football team.
But the Cowboys received some good news earlier this week when the NFL officially reinstated Randy Gregory to the team after a one-year suspension.
No one in the organization might be as excited about that news than defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, who now has yet another pass-rusher in the stable to work with when the team goes to training camp next week.
"I'm extremely excited to have him back," Marinelli said this week at The Star. "Just really looking forward to having a chance to work with him again."
Repeated violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy has obviously been a constant setback for Gregory, who only played in two games in the past two seasons, and just 14 for his career after playing in 12 games as a rookie in 2015.

Still, the flashes Gregory showed in that first preseason, where he recorded three sacks in the first three games, is enough to get Marinelli excited. He also thinks the defensive end might not have as much rust to knock off as you might expect.
"Oh yeah, he's got the stuff that you need," Marinelli said. "I just want to give him time now to get back in the saddle and learn the basics again and bring him along that way. But he's so talented. Some of things will return quicker than most for him."
The NFL has reinstated Gregory on a conditional basis. Those conditions currently will allow Gregory to attend training camp with the team in Oxnard, Calif. next week and attend meetings and individual workouts. For now, Gregory is not allowed to fully practice or participate in games, but that could change while in Oxnard, assuming he can meet the necessary conditions given by the NFL.
Overall, Marinelli applauded Gregory for not giving up and continuing to fight his way back to this point.
"No question about it. I admire the fight," Marinelli said. "I really admire the fight. I'm excited about getting him back here. I know the other guys feel the same way. He's really well-liked on our football team."
PooDoo
AG
Quote:

FRISCO, Texas Long Shot.
Might as well start there.
Back the summer of 2016, when we found out Randy Gregory would be suspended the first four games of the season, then subsequently 10 more, someone told me basically, "Randy Gregory will never play another down of football for the Cowboys."
Well, he ended playing 66 downs in the final two games of that season. But, before the Cowboys got to the playoffs, Gregory was issued a one-year suspension, once again for violating the NFL's policy on substance abuse. Gregory's substance of choice was marijuana, coupled with missing mandatory tests, judged the same as testing positive.
At that time, the prediction seemed pretty solid, knowing Gregory would miss the entire 2017 season, meaning he would have gone two full seasons, and encompassing 24 months while having played just two games. On top of that, he would have to prove he could become a productive citizen away from football and conquer his predilection for marijuana before the NFL would even consider reinstatement.

Yep, that Randy Gregory would ever play another down of football in the NFL, a Long Shot!
Well, Gregory, the Cowboys' 2015 second-round draft choice is getting that shot, the NFL announcing Tuesday he has been "conditionally reinstated," just in time for next week's start to training camp. That appears to be a mere formality. Aside from the behavioral review, his attorney Daniel Moskowitz and agent Steve Weinberg devised a clinical resource plan to meet the NFL's requirements. That plan has two parts: for the time Gregory will spend in Oxnard, Calif., during training camp and then the one continuing once the team returns here for the remainder of the preseason and regular season.
At this time, Gregory has been cleared to attend camp, meetings and continue his conditioning with the Cowboys' staff off to the side during practices. And once his "compliance resources" have been officially hired, being allowed to begin practicing and then participate in preseason games becomes a mere formality . . . as long as he doesn't miss any more tests or test positive again.
That's the technical part.
As for the football part, remember, he has not played or practiced a down of football since the Cowboys' final game of the 2016 regular season, Jan. 1, 2017. That's a long time away, a full 18 months, but remember, add another four months to that, with only two games played.

So, as defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli says, let's get him in his stance, first, then go from there. Time away naturally hampers skills. But at least Gregory, under the guidance of former Raider Greg Townsend, has been working out for the past month, ever since petitioning the league back in mid-June for reinstatement when he and his representatives met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
While the Cowboys are excited over his return, they are realistic at this point over expectations right off the bat. Meaning, when asked about what we think Gregory can do this year, we'll put this in the "we'll see" category, right along with another dozen unknowns the Cowboys are facing.
Fine. But at least Gregory has a shot.
Macarthur
Hope the guy has his life lined out.

I think his case is a textbook example of why we need to rethink our pot stance as a nation. I don't remember the specifics but wasn't he the guy that battled mental health issues and used pot to help with that?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Macarthur said:

Hope the guy has his life lined out.

I think his case is a textbook example of why we need to rethink our pot stance as a nation. I don't remember the specifics but wasn't he the guy that battled mental health issues and used pot to help with that?
yes
BassCowboy33
I'll never understand why guys risk fortune and fame for the pipe.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This particular one is mentally ill.
jr15aggie
AG
Maliek Collins to open camp on PUP and will probably stay there at least a couple weeks. Also, the sky is blue!
bonfarr
AG
It's official, ET is a holdout and not planning to report to camp with the Seahawks. His Seattle home is up for sale.

Let's see if Jerry can make something happen. Lloyd Christmas looking Mark Davis also on notice but they are in worse shape than the Cowboys financially.

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/ContentGallery/Earl-Thomas-telling-Raiders-to-come-get-him-leads-to-strong-reactions-120063936/
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Vince Blake
Yeah, can't see the Raiders pulling this off while they have their own situation going on with Khalil Mack.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

Lloyd Christmas looking Mark Davis
ok that's funny
DannyDuberstein
AG
I have to admit that all of the ET drama where he's pining for other teams during their season (even if it is the cowboys) is a turnoff for me as far as wanting him as a player. I'm not unrealistically rah-rah or any BS like that. But some of this stuff is a bit extreme and makes me question what his response will be the first time he finds some stuff he doesn't like in his new home, wherever and whenever that ends up being. The honeymoon always ends.
SeattleAgJr
please take ET from us.
I want him gone.

He is the last of the garbage we need taken out to get rid of the drama queens from the last two seasons.
Street_Cred_Norm
BassCowboy33 said:

I can say the same thing about alcohol. Absolutely nothing good can come out of going to the club and drinking a bottle or two with ya boyz.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
BMX Bandit
Street_Cred_Norm said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I can say the same thing about alcohol. Absolutely nothing good can come out of going to the club and drinking a bottle or two with ya boyz.

User name definitely does not check out
Southlake
Starting to wonder the same about ET. Totally different atmosphere than what he was used to in the Seattle glory days.

The Ticket said this morning that RG weighed 245.
Señor Chang
AG
RG?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pothead Randy Gregory. That's probably about where he was when he last played, although the question would be whether it's an in shape 245 vs an out of shape 245. He's always been on the long but light side (6'5"ish, combine was 235, then more like 245 in the short time he did play in the NFL)
PooDoo
AG
Watched a few camp spots on NFL Network... Dak looks pretty lean. Irvin says Elliott is cut up like he's never seen before.
gigem1223
According to Fish, Leighton is backing up Smith currently. What I don't understand, and this may change, why is Jaylon Smith starting at MLB and Leighton as back up? Jaylon Smith's strengths in college were playing downhill, not dropping into coverage. He'd be perfect as a strong side backer IMO. And maybe this is just where they start for camp but why not get all your talent out on the field?

Jaylon - strong side
Lee - Weak side
Vander Esch - Middle
jr15aggie
AG
Leighton was the starting LB when they went to the Nickel package... which goes into what you were saying about LVE's ability to drop. LB will probably be the position I watch the most during pre-season games.

According to Broaddus, Gregory looked really quick in the work he's doing (working with conditioning staff right now, just making sure he's ready to go before they let him start practicing). Said he didn't look tired at all. I've also heard other guys commenting how, physically, he looks ready to go. Take that for what it's worth at the moment, but right now it's the complete opposite of what we've heard about David Irving since mini camp.
gigem1223
Dez just proving the front office made the right decision to let him go. Loved Sean Lee's response.
Ag Natural
AG
Dez continues to validate all the reasons for cutting his ass. Now he's blaming Travis Frederick and Sean Lee for getting him out of Dallas. He's the least accountable, least self aware player in the league. Nobody wants an idiot on their team, not even Dallas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
All because of a tweet that did not quote Stephen accurately.

I'm glad he went off. Nice little reminder for the other 31 teams as to why they shouldnt touch this clown.

And agree with the post above about Lee. His response was perfect
jr15aggie
AG
I've defended Dez on plenty of occasions... But the guy hasn't learned to shut his mouth. Love his passion and everything he's done to overcome a less than ideal upbringing. But yeah, glad they cut him at this point.
bonfarr
AG

Dalton Schultz is looking good early in camp. Blake Jarwin is the guy our coaches talk about the most when discussing tight ends that can help make up for Witten's lost production. Rico is looking like what I thought he was, a failed experiment about to run its course.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/27/day-2-camp-report-cowboys-show-diverse-armory-of-tight-ends-wideouts/amp/

Quote:

I spent some time watching the tight ends in their various drills and I can say with great confidence that, in terms of running routes, Blake Jarwin is the best of the bunch, with Dalton Schultz a solid second.

Jarwin is quick off the line, has great body control in and out of cuts and catches the ball with authority. I was happy to observe that Schultz catches the ball easily and naturally; in a two-minute drill against air, he ran a corner route that required him to catch the ball over his left shoulder, and he made it look easy.

The less good news on this front is that Rico Gathers was by far the worst of the bunch.

He lacks explosion and dropped a couple of balls that hit him right in the hands. Most condemning, to my mind, was Gathers' lack of body control; he struggled to stay above his feet when cutting and therefore had difficulty getting out of his breaks.

As a result, he tended to round off the routes that Jarwin ran crisply. Obviously, I'm working from a small sample size but, based on this one day, I'd be shocked if Gathers makes the roster.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There's a line where "passion" is no longer the word to describe something. Dez obliterated that line years ago. I would never describe the temper tantrums my kids threw when they were little as "passion". "Immature, childish, idiotic explosions and rambling" is how they should be described. Always quick to hold others accountable but never himself. That's not passion. That's being a child.

People are just being polite to call it passion. Sort of like using the term "unique" instead of "ahole"

Lee's comment about holding himself accountsble was perfect.
BMX Bandit
You've definitely come a long way from thinking someone was going to pay him $16m/yr in free agency
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cousin Eddie is still holding out for a desk job, and Dez is still holding out to sign with an NFC East team.
jtstanley4621
AG
I don't fully agree with what Dez is saying but I do certainly agree that Garrett and Linehan were awful last season.

I think his elite days are past him but I wouldn't be too surprised if he went somewhere and had a decent season. I still feel like everyone was limited by the rigid system and play calling last season
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sometimes I question what was limiting what. Dez was not exactly versatile.
ac04
he's going to wind up in cleveland
Legacy Work Spaces
Wow Dez really going off on Twitter last night!

I get what Dez is saying about the offense but he's gota know he can't burn bridges like that. He's still so so immature.

As for the team, if this team doesn't make the playoffs (and there are no team shattering injuries) then I don't understand how Garrett gets another year on the job. That would be a terrible message to send to fans.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jerry wont say it publicly because he's such a JG supporter, but unless there is a major injury or something fluky happens (like go 11-5 and somehow miss playoffs), I think JG gets canned if they dont make the playoffs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.