*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

115,083 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macarthur said:

ac04 said:

bailey accuracy by season:

2015 - 93.8%
2016 - 84.4%
2017 - 75.0%
This and there's lots of rumors that his back is not right.

Interesting. There was definitely a lot of chatter about him in camp. Had one day were he missed multiple kicks in a row. Other days where they reported he was perfect. Overall it was just interesting because typically you never hear anything about a kicker unless the team is nervous about him. Looks like that was true even for Bailey.
Old Tom Morris
I do think there is an injury hangup with him. His kicking was perfect until injuries started popping up 2 years ago (back and groin). And back injuries are no joke. Usually never get right. You just learn how to manage them.
J.P. 03
AG
Ag Natural said:

The Raiders cut Connor Cook today. Interesting because that is the guy rumored to be the QB pick on the board if he fell to he Cowboys. The Raiders jumped up and broke Jerry's heart so we settled for Dak.

This team could have easily ended up with Cook or Paxton Lynch.
And what's crazy is both of those guys have been cut as of today. I thought I heard a rumor after that draft that the Cowboys were trying hard to trade back into the first round to grab Lynch, and now they could get either one of those guys for free. Goes to show you what a complete crapshoot QB scouting is.
hph6203
AG
It's not a rumor, there's video of Jerry in the war room discussing it.
Old Tom Morris
Yep. Confirmed. Dak absolutely fell in their lap vs. what they were actually trying to accomplish at QB in that draft.
jr15aggie
AG
For those who didn't know... They sent Noah Brown to IR and immediately re-signed Deonte Thompson. That was the plan all along, they had to have Brown on the 53 before they could send him to IR.

They tried to do the same thing with DT Price, but the Raiders snagged him before we could get him back.
Grapesoda2525
What do you guys think of the first game?

Tough to win because of injuries?
Bobcat06
AG
Not particularly scared of Carolina's DL

More concerned about our passing game. All our WR's are a question mark. Also interested to see if Dak learned to throw deep.

If we can't keep defenses from cheating up 8 men in the box to stop Zeke, it's gonna be a long season.
Ag Natural
AG
I think Carolina is missing some OL as well.

Based on what I saw from Dak in the preseason I think he'll have a great year. He leaned out little and looked quicker. That'll lead to more 3rd down pickups and more big plays. The WRS will be fine.
Grapesoda2525
Ag Natural said:

I think Carolina is missing some OL as well.

Based on what I saw from Dak in the preseason I think he'll have a great year. He leaned out little and looked quicker. That'll lead to more 3rd down pickups and more big plays. The WRS will be fine.
A win would go a long way for my confidence.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but I'm not optimistic about the team with Frederick gone for who knows how long, Martin dinged up, Tyron smith has a bad back, and the sips gave us an underdeveloped Connor Williams. I think Connor will be good, but he probably needs a year or two of strength and conditioning.

The offensive line was supposed to be our strength. At least we will have both dak and zeke tho. We got screwed last year by goodell.
gigem1223
Supposed to be wet in Carolina Sunday. Control the clock, play good defense and don't turn the ball over and we'll come out with a win. I'm predicting an ugly game either way.
gigem1223
Rumors are this morning that we have a 3rd rd pick on the table for ET. Hopefully Seattle will wake up and smell the coffee and take what they can get for him.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm always the optimistic one... but I like our chances. Our 1st team defense didn't give up a single point in 3 pre-season games (it equated to around 4 quarters of football) and most of that didn't include Sean Lee. Our front 7 shows signs of being one of the most feared units this year. Pair that with the fact that I too have heard Carolina has O-line problems, I like our chances. Just need to put "superman" on the ground... if he escapes our pass rush consistently he can hurt us. Biggest key might be our fast linebackers taking care of check downs to McCaffrey.

Our offense is a big ? right now. Dak looked good in VERY limited pre-season action with no Zeke or Beasley. Our WRs are not dynamic, but they just need to run their routes and get open. I was personally pleased with that in pre-season... nothing flashy but they did their thing and caught the balls that got close to them. Getting Beasley back on the field should help too. I'm just curious how much we use the TEs if they can't get consistent blocking. I'm personally hoping we see a decent amount of no TE, 3 wide, and a FB. I think that gives us lots of options and keeps the defense honest. Or long story short, if Zeke is a beast, doesn't matter, this offense will put up points!

Cowboys win 24-10

Ag Natural
AG
I think most are sleeping on the Cowboys. This line even with some of the injuries is still a very good run blocking unit. The pass pro may be a question but that's where Dak's improved mobility helps quite a bit. We saw him escape the pocket and side step rushers in the preseason and that's something we didn't see at all last year. I also think the defense is going to be tremendously improved. We have legit depth and play making ability on the dline and in the LB corps. The corners looks elite. The only question is the safety position as we all know.

So if your defense goes into the season with only one question mark.. that's pretty dang good. And in week one I'm not afraid of Cam picking apart the secondary. If we lock up the outside guys and contain the RBs then we should hold Carolina under 20.
rsf0626
Rumors also stating that the Cowboys offered a 2nd round pick for ET and seattle turned it down....I guess they are okay with letting him walk next year for nothing
gigem1223
rsf0626 said:

Rumors also stating that the Cowboys offered a 2nd round pick for ET and seattle turned it down....I guess they are okay with letting him walk next year for nothing

Yep. Just heard that on radio. If true, Seattle is stupid. Getting a 2nd rd for ET at this point would be a great get for them.
SeattleAgJr
Talk here is the trade WILL happen, they are just negotiating.

You will be getting a great safety, and we will be getting rid of a huge pain in the ass.
Ag12thman
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

You will be getting a great safety, and we will be getting rid of a huge pain in the ass.
Just saw that he's reporting to practice today for Seattle. Won't be traded anytime soon sounds like.
Old Tom Morris
He had to show up at some point if he wants to be a UFA after this year.
SeattleAgJr
Ag12thman said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Just saw that he's reporting to practice today for Seattle. Won't be traded anytime soon sounds like.
Again, the TALK (so rumor, for sure), if that they are looking to make the deal and soon; they do not expect him to be in Seattle more than 2 weeks. Last update was they were looking for a 2 and a 5 for him.
gigem1223
SeattleAgJr said:

Ag12thman said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Again, the TALK (so rumor, for sure), if that they are looking to make the deal and soon; they do not expect him to be in Seattle more than 2 weeks. Last update was they were looking for a 2 and a 5 for him.

If a 5th round pick is what's holding it up, idk what the hell Dallas is thinking. Pull the trigger Jerry. They've already reportedly offered a 2nd. How often does a 5th actually contribute anyways? ET IMO would put this young defense in a position to have elite potential.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

How often does a 5th actually contribute anyways?
Richard Sherman was a 5th from the same unit
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem1223
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

How often does a 5th actually contribute anyways?
Richard Sherman was a 5th from the same unit

Of course you're going to have your outliers. My question was how often.
gigem1223
Last several 5th rd picks and zero in the nfl

2017 no pick
2016 no pick
2015 Ryan Russell
2014 Devin Street
2013 Danny Coale
2012 Joseph Randle
2011 Josh Thomas
2010 no pick
gigem1223
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://www.milehighreport.com/2014/5/13/5713996/how-long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/#42051f367495

These both trend success by draft round. 1 in 16 starters and 1 in 20 all pros were 5th rounders. Barely over a third finish their rookie contracts. So I'd call it a crapshoot, no surprise. To me the only worthless picks are 7th rounders, as they are probably not better than undrafted players
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem1223
Just looking at the last several drafts. Dallas seems to hit a high rate in the 6th. So give up the 5th and not a 6th.
Macarthur
I would be happy to have ET, but a 2nd is too much. I would tell Seattle to f off.
SeattleAgJr
Macarthur said:

I would be happy to have ET, but a 2nd is too much. I would tell Seattle to f off.
No. You really, REALLY want ET! And will do anything for him!!!

Southlake
Playing Cam Newton changes everything. Even when the defense does its job, Newton makes plays.

Carolina will stack everybody to stop Zeke, if they do and force Dak to pass, the game will hinge on his playmaking ability.

Guess we'll see how good our D really is.

Very close game. Newton leads Panthers on a late drive to win as time runs out.
Macarthur
One thing about the Cowboys offense that was, of course, kept under wraps for the preseason was how they will use Austin and Deonte Thompson. Both guys have tons of speed and can stretch the defense. They both provide an element this offense has not had in some time.
jr15aggie
AG
I think the only reason I'm OK with Dallas giving away a 2nd for ET is that we have lots of cap room this year and next to pay our guys plus do some smart shopping in free agency. We don't have to have a 2nd round pick to fill a possible void, we'll have money to do that.

Obviously don't want to make a habit of it... drafting well is the only way you can stay under the cap and field a competitive team. But no denying that now is a great time to strike with Dak and Zeke still under rookie deals and cap room to afford extending guys like D-Law if he balls out again this year. If we go now we'll have a really nice 3-4 year window of a possible championship caliber team.
gigem1223
jr15aggie said:

I think the only reason I'm OK with Dallas giving away a 2nd for ET is that we have lots of cap room this year and next to pay our guys plus do some smart shopping in free agency. We don't have to have a 2nd round pick to fill a possible void, we'll have money to do that.

Obviously don't want to make a habit of it... drafting well is the only way you can stay under the cap and field a competitive team. But no denying that now is a great time to strike with Dak and Zeke still under rookie deals and cap room to afford extending guys like D-Law if he balls out again this year. If we go now we'll have a really nice 3-4 year window of a possible championship caliber team.

Exactly my thoughts
gigem1223
Fish just reported that Chido is battling a back injury of some sort and Vander Esch is full go. Didn't hear an update on X Woods though. Anyone heard any other updates?
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

Fish just reported that Chido is battling a back injury of some sort and Vander Esch is full go. Didn't hear an update on X Woods though. Anyone heard any other updates?
Hamstring for Woods, 2nd week is what they are hoping for, but you know how these hammies go.

And please tell me Chido can play. I know it's part of the game, but I friggin hate injuries on my team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.