*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,903 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland
did the video stop before it got to the funny part?
The Collective
AG
This movie continues to keep plugging away at the Box Office. $16 million to catch Infinity War.
PatAg
AG
country said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

country said:

I just hope the CGI is limited but it doesn't look like it will be at all. The remake of Midway was not good IMO because of the lack of realism with the CGI. What makes Top Gun so good is the lack of of all of that and the real world footage. It's not even the computer generated stuff within the jets or the legions of aircraft in the air that bother me. It's the CG background as well. If they would just go film on site and fill in with CG it would be fine, but building an entire movie from it just doesn't look good.
The problem with Midway regarding the CGI is that of all those aircraft depicted in that movie, there are very few flying examples remaining. Some, like the torpedo bombers, none at all. So how are you going to make that particular movie? Models is the obvious answer (and Christopher Nolan proved that models can still be used to great effect).

With Top Gun/Maverick, they had access to real aircraft, and yes, the result was a better depiction of aerial combat and maneuvers because it was real. In this Devotion movie, those Corsairs and Bearcats look to be real in some shots, while in many others, obvious CGI.
My dislike of Midway wasn't the CGI aircraft. Like I said earlier, it is that the only thing real in any aerial scene was the actor. The background, the ocean, the clouds, all of it was CGI, or at least there was so much of it that I couldn't tell what was real.
The acting was also not very good
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Collective said:

This movie continues to keep plugging away at the Box Office. $16 million to catch Infinity War.
It's gonna catch it! Suck it, Marvel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective said:

That's insane.
aTmAg
AG
If they tried to film Midway with practical effects (and no CGI at all), it would have SUCKED.
A is A
AG
Quote:

So, it's time for a celebration. From Aug. 12-14, 2022, viewers who attend a "Top Gun: Maverick" screening at participating theaters can also see a behind-the-scenes look at shooting onboard the USS Roosevelt with Tom Cruise and the cast to get some insight as to how the filmmakers worked with the Navy to operate, film and live on an active warship.
How do we find such theatres?

link: https://www.military.com/off-duty/movies/2022/08/09/top-gun-maverick-has-gift-fans-movie-theaters-weekend.html
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Random Q - I'm trying to remember, why couldn't they just send a drone on the impossible mission?
Thanks and gig'em
schmendeler
AG
I think the site was being gps jammed or some such
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aTmAg said:

If they tried to film Midway with practical effects (and no CGI at all), it would have SUCKED.
It didn't suck in 1976.

Having said that, I liked the 2019 version equally as well, for different reasons, mostly because it actually told the historical story of Midway and did not have some bull crap forced romantic storyline.
#FJB
Squadron7
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

It didn't suck in 1976.

Having said that, I liked the 2019 version equally as well, for different reasons, mostly because it actually told the historical story of Midway and did not have some bull crap forced romantic storyline.

They blew up a lot of airframes in that 1976 movie I bet they'd like to have back now.
jackie childs
schmendeler said:

yeah, i think that's right. also why they couldn't use the most modern jets.

but why couldn't they have sent some of the same missiles that took out the enemy's runway to take out some of the SAM's?
Decay
AG
jackie childs said:

schmendeler said:

yeah, i think that's right. also why they couldn't use the most modern jets.

but why couldn't they have sent some of the same missiles that took out the enemy's runway to take out some of the SAM's?
Because it wasn't in the script
bthotugigem05
AG
Because....shut up
aTmAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

It didn't suck in 1976.

Just because some movies do bad CGI doesn't mean all CGI is bad.

Compare the flight scenes from 1976 to 2019 and it's not even close. Except for real footage (which was grainy and obvious as hell), 1976 looked like a bunch of models in a bathtub. Only CGI could provide the ability to show the true size and scope of that battle with a crap ton of planes and carriers. The only flight scene I disliked was the stupid below the deck landings.
aTmAg
AG
schmendeler said:

In 2003 we bombed Russian GPS jammers in Iraq with GPS guided bombs just to prove a point. Those bombs use an Inertial Guidance System (INS). The GPS is only used to provide occasional corrections to the INS. Jamming GPS may make the bomb "miss" by a foot or so.
maroon barchetta
I thought they said they were using radar jammers, not GPS jammers, whatever the difference is there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aTmAg said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

It didn't suck in 1976.

Just because some movies do bad CGI doesn't mean all CGI is bad.

Compare the flight scenes from 1976 to 2019 and it's not even close. Except for real footage (which was grainy and obvious as hell), 1976 looked like a bunch of models in a bathtub. Only CGI could provide the ability to show the true size and scope of that battle with a crap ton of planes and carriers. The only flight scene I disliked was the stupid below the deck landings.
I don't believe I've ever been one to criticize bad CGI. I can recognize it when I see it, but overall I'm thankful for CGI since it allows for movies that otherwise would likely not be made. The original Midway film sourced film from real footage as you pointed out, but also used some footage from Tora! Tora! Tora! Most of the real footage was flat-out wrongly used as well, in that the footage they chose often featured aircraft that were not even off the drawing board at the time of the battle (and in one case, a jet fighter). The carriers were obviously models. I loved the fact that the new movie depicted the actual aircraft that participated in the battle (save for B-17s and F4Fs). The Jap carriers looked accurate based on my limited knowledge of them.

I don't know if Dick Best had to land his Dauntless as depicted in the movie, but agree that it was eye-rolling. No idea why filmmakers do things like that - show something earlier in a movie and then pull it out again at the end when needed. Stupid.
#FJB
aTmAg
AG
Tora Tora Tora is ridiculous. This stunt (gone wrong) is probably the greatest of all time:

MooreTrucker
AG
Tora! Tora! Tora! is one of my all-time favorite movies!!

ETA which stunt?
aTmAg
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I think that is once scene that could not be improved on with CGI, IMO. If they reproduced this exact scene pixel by pixel with computers, then it would be "cheesy" since we'd all know it was fake. The fact that we know this is real give is the "holy ****!" aspect.
TCTTS
AG
Tomorrow. Back in IMAX.

TCTTS
AG
Stive
AG
Can we revisit the skeptics that didn't think this was going to break 500MM and shame them out of town?!?
TCTTS
AG
_lefraud_
AG
Man, Lightyear has to be one of the biggest bust/blunders for Disney (and any studio for that matter) all time.
The Collective
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Man, Lightyear has to be one of the biggest bust/blunders for Disney (and any studio for that matter) all time.

Kind of nice to see the audience push back on a big franchise when the obvious question everyone has is "why".
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, and it should have been apparent when we were all arguing what the basic conceit/premise was, months and months ago. On one hand, I totally get how the core idea made sense to Disney/Pixar, and most of us still thought it'd be a huge hit. But from the jump it was never explained well, and then the poor execution of the movie itself was of course the final dagger.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, and it should have been apparent when we were all arguing what the basic conceit/premise was, months and months ago. On one hand, I totally get how the core idea made sense to Disney/Pixar, and most of us still thought it'd be a huge hit. But from the jump it was never explained well, and then the poor execution of the movie itself was of course the final dagger.
I can't remember the reason they pulled away from Tim Allen, but having a new voice for Buzz was a bad idea and had to confuse some kids I bet.
LMCane
Aggie_Journalist said:

Random Q - I'm trying to remember, why couldn't they just send a drone on the impossible mission?
because then you wouldn't have needed Tom Cruise and some hot young millenials to fly F-18s!!

duh!!
aggiegolfer03
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Lightyear was effing awful for the fact that there's NO possible way THAT movie would have produced the toy from the first movie.

Beyond unbelievable.
TCTTS
AG
For sure. Such a dumb choice.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

The Black Phone?

That's a movie?
The Porkchop Express
MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?
I took American Seapower my senior year - a class in which 2 Corps guys got called out by the professor for cheating and told to leave his class immediately because they had been expelled - and we watched Tora, Tora, Tora one night at Harrington as a class.

About halfway through the audio went out while the Japanese officers were looking out the window of the ship and some guy yelled out in a terribly racist accent, "LOOK OUT, IT'S GODZILLA!'

We missed the next 5 minutes of the movie laughing our asses off.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.