*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,888 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

I'm pretty sure penny lived in the same house from the original. If not the same house, really similar. On a corner, across from the water, with an archway leading to the yard.
Penny wasn't in the 1986 film, she was just mentioned by Goose's wife. Are you getting her confused with Charlie (Kelly McGillis)? I agree Charlie and Penny's homes were similar, but different characters.
TCTTS
AG
Penny did not live in Charlie's old home. Similar vibe, but not the same house. The house Charlie lived in, in real life, is still standing, but has since been moved like half a block away to apparently make way for retail/business space.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, didn't mean it was pennys house from the original. Meant it was the home Charlie lived in in the original.

But, as said above, not the same house. I kind of thought so because don't remember the original being two story. But very similar style/vibe.
Thunder18
AG
Loved it
Latrobe
AG
Loved it.

I remember when I got my first surround sound system (probably around 2007)...the first movie I played was Top Gun. But I was so disappointed. The audio and picture was obviously outdated.

I got giddy watching this opening scene. The experience I have always wanted.....seat rumbling, perfect audio, perfect picture. I couldn't wipe the goofy smile off my face!

So many great scenes. If you would have told me that Goose's kid and Maverick would have ended up in an F-14 together??!! Come on man! And yeah it was a little cheesy....so was the original. It was right in line

Loved it

My 14 year old hasn't seen the original. I can not wait to show him both now.
PatAg
AG
aTmAg said:

As a guy who was prepared to call BS on a lot of stuff,
That explains so much
512Ag
AG
Loved it. Went with my dad, brother and brother in law. It was everything you want in a Top Gun sequel.

Maverick sure does have a thing for women who drive sweet old Porsches.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Penny did not live in Charlie's old home. Similar vibe, but not the same house. The house Charlie lived in, in real life, is still standing, but has since been moved like half a block away to apparently make way for retail/business space.

Really? Wow I thought for sure it was the same house. In fact the guy next to me reacted as if it was, also.
CoppellAg93
AG
Dro07 said:

Loved the movie. I maybe the only one but sad that no one lost their loving feeling.
I hate it when that happens.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

aTmAg said:

As a guy who was prepared to call BS on a lot of stuff,
That explains so much
What does it explain?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm guessing he means your uncanny ability to immediately call bs on anything and everything when it comes to entertainment, no matter how minute or insignificant.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm guessing he means your uncanny ability to immediately call bs on anything and everything when it comes to entertainment, no matter how minute or insignificant.
Other than the comment about flares, where have I done that? I've actually defended this movie against others more than anything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not this movie. In general.
bangobango
AG
So freaking good. I had high expectations and it surpassed them.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not this movie. In general.
Well, maybe other movies/shows deserve it.

This movie doesn't. It was good all around. And it had zero political slant (unless you are pro-drones). So it can be done. The rest of Hollywood should take notice.

When I said I was prepared to call BS it's because of what I said before about my co-workers going into the original and not liking it due to the lack of realism. They had a hard time suspending disbelief enough. I was ready for that to happen to me this time around. Yet, I loved it and said it a bunch of times. Were there aviation/military inaccuracies? A crap ton. But did they ruin the movie for me? Not one bit.
agracer
AG
Saw it last night, loved it.

Did anyone else notice the Skunk Works graphic on the tail of the Darkstar?
aTmAg
AG
agracer said:

Yeah, I saw that. Was a nice touch. I didn't realize it until today that they helped out making that mockup realistic.
agracer
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

'03ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

In real life he has someone that maintains his P-51.
I'm sure the vast majority is done by someone else.

I do think I heard recently that he has his mechanics certification. But that thing have a Merlin in it? That's kind of like having one of Jay Leno's ridiculous old cars. Probably only a handful of people that can work on that.
Can't speak with certainty as to how Cruise's 'stand is outfitted, but in terms of WWII, the P-51 only became the superior Allied fighter in Europe after they replaced its original Allison engine with the British Merlin. AFAIK, the P-51D, which Cruise's appears to be (I say appears because it could actually be a P-51K or a later Korean War F-51), was the first Mustang variant to get the Merlin. /warbird nerd
P51B was first mustang to get the Merlin. D just had a bubble canopy and later a tail fillet to fix cracking at the tail root.

Edit: ok more then just a bubble canopy but that was the biggest change.
tk for tu juan
The Darkstar is also available in MS Flight Simulator so you can go coast to coast in under 30 min

aTmAg
AG
If we are going to talk aviation... I'll expand on the flares point. Flairs do nothing against radar guided missiles. Those are for heat seekers, but dropping chaff would not be as cool looking. They could have used a towed decoy like this:

and have them run out of them just like they ran out of flares. Probably still wouldn't be as cool as flares.
AgGrad99
AG
agracer said:

I didn't see that...but that's pretty cool
agracer
AG
Yeah it's hard to show chaff as a visual
aTmAg
AG
To me, the Dark Star sequences set the tone of the movie. They did that way better than First Man and the X-15 scenes. It also gives Maverick more gravitas as far as piloting goes. You have to be sharp as hell to be a modern test pilot. The Yeager days of having a mere HS diploma are long gone. Guys like Neil Armstrong (who had two degrees and was accepted to MIT) replaced them.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Really? Wow I thought for sure it was the same house. In fact the guy next to me reacted as if it was, also.

100% not the same house. Charlie's house had a front porch that faced the ocean, with more of a yard and nothing to the immediate right of her. She lived on a corner. Penny's house was *close* to the ocean, but I'm almost positive it didn't face it, had a way smaller front porch, and was in more of a neighborhood. Besides, wouldn't it be really weird if both of Maverick's girlfriends lived in the same house, 36 years apart? Why would the filmmakers do that?
aTmAg
AG
I thought it was the same house too. But I didn't see the first movie in a long time so my memory is fading.
agracer
AG
'03ag said:

MooreTrucker said:

My wife's question is why do our enemies have 5th Gen aircraft and we don't.
They explain in the movie why the F22 isn't suited for the mission. Something about their GPS system being confused by the low altitude/terrain, or maybe jammed? It felt like a strain. But Hollywood . . .

And if you're going to think too hard about it, I thought a better question was why we didn't have F22s prepared to protect the F18s on the way back.
They were way out at sea. Also, F22 is strictly fighter air to air, it does not carry bombs at all.
PatAg
AG
My bad
aTmAg
AG
BTW, TCTTS I told you that if this movie sucked, that I would find you and murder you. I think now I at least owe you a beer somehow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wasn't arguing with you, I'm just surprised.

They at least were purposely making it really similar, right?
Stive
AG
Took the entire household (6 of us) today and everyone from the wife, to the teenager, to the 7 year old son loved it. My little guy was bouncing off of his seat during several scenes and was glued to the screen the entire time.

Random call back question:

During Mav's test flight at the beginning, there's a skinny officer with white/grey hair watching over the rest of the team. Any chance that was the radar operator from the carrier in TG? The guy that informs Principal Strickland that Maverick and Goose are up there with Cougar and Merlin and later at the end yells out "Mavericks re-engaging sir!!!".

Looked a lot like that guy and made me wonder if they were pulling in lots of subtle characters. The bald Ed Harris admiral informing Maverick he was returning just like James Tolkan did. For a while I thought the black 2 star was Sundown based on the way he smiled at Maverick when he returned to Miramar (but I ruled that one out).

I too was surprised that You've lost that Lovin Feeling wasn't playing when Mav went to the bar looking for Penny at the end. But I guess that was a Charlie song and it made sense not to have it connected to Penny and her place.

I almost want to go rewatch it and just jot down every single call back and tribute. I loved them all.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

100% not the same house. Charlie's house had a front porch that faced the ocean, with more of a yard and nothing to the immediate right of her. She lived on a corner. Penny's house was *close* to the ocean, but I'm almost positive it didn't face it, had a way smaller front porch, and was in more of a neighborhood. Besides, wouldn't it be really weird if both of Maverick's girlfriends lived in the same house, 36 years apart? Why would the filmmakers do that?

Penny's house seemed to have more of a bungalow vibe. This is Charlie's house, which is more of a traditional home...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maverick buzzing the tower got claps both times I saw it.
country
AG
I haven't seen it discussed, but I read today that Val Kilmer worked with an artificial intelligence company to recreate his voice. Supposedly they take hours of old recordings and have now created a program that Val can input parameters into and the computer speaks the words in his voice with the tone, volume, emphasis, etc. that's supposedly how he spoke in the scene. Pretty dang cool.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wasn't arguing with you, I'm just surprised.

They at least were purposely making it really similar, right?

No? Why would they try to purposely do that? There's no reason to imo.

Penny has a 2 story house in a little neighborhood and Charlie rented a 1 bedroom bungalo across the street from the ocean.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well I'm not the only person who thought that.

Nevermind the fact that they were literally almost recreating scenes throughout the movie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.