*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,920 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...embarrassed to say I'd watch that.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?
if you're like me, my dad showed me T2 before T1…..so is it still a sequel to me?

I saw T2 for years without even knowing there was a first.
Geeze. In a way that ruined a bit part of it for you. Originally, the idea was for people to think that Arnold was there to kill John Connor again. That the cop was there to save him. Then it was supposed to be shocking when the roles were reversed. I happened to know the truth before I walked in from a magazine or something. But you probably didn't even know that Arnold was originally bad.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?
if you're like me, my dad showed me T2 before T1…..so is it still a sequel to me?

I think if you were born anytime in the late 70s through the 80s, this is a very real possibility. Same thing happened to me - didn't even know there was a movie outside of T2 for a long time.
The Porkchop Express
MrPlow2010 said:

I think in the 3rd movie Bill Pullman shows up as the President and flies with Bob ( Pullman's real life son) so that they can have a father son moment and it can also tie in Independence day and have Maverick fight 475th generation alien aircrafts.
Pres. Whitmore: "Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from Top Gun will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. And because all of the other countries in the world suck balls, even with superior aircraft, we're going to have to kill every single one of these stupid aliens.

Now I'd like to introduce your squadron commander for this mission. His name is Captain Pete "Tom Cruise" Mitchell and yes, he is 77 years old. But we can't be consumed by our petty age discrimination anymore.

We will be united in our common interests: Fly-bys, The Righteous Brothers, finding an acceptable commute into the Danger Zone during daylight when it's not rush hour, the Early Bird Special at Luby's, hanging with the boys, and the need for a responsible amount of speed.

Perhaps it's fate that today is March 13, the anniversary of the birthday of L. Ron Hubbard. For as you know, our enemy today are none other than Xenu, dictator of the Galactic Confederacy. When he brought his people to Earth 75 million years ago, we thought he was a being of peace. Turns out, his diabolic creation of thetans has cursed our world lo, these many years.

Today is also William H. Macy's birthday, coincidentally. And much like Billy would like to get the hell away from his controlling, fraud-committing wife Lynette Scavo, we are seeking to unhook ourselves from the yoke of oppression that these dastardedly aliens have cast upon us.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, and to see Mission Impossible 14: I Really Think this Mission Might Truly be Impossible, on Memorial Day, 2044.

And should we win the day, the 13th of March will no longer be known only as Neil Sedaka's birthday, but as the day when Top Gun declared in one voice: We will not forget about the only good role Tom Skeritt had besides Evan Drake on Cheers! We will not forget that Michael Ironside has played the same character in every role since he was in "V". We're going to live on! Everyone alive will continue knowing all the words to Great Balls of Fire even though it was released 65 years ago! Today, we celebrate the end of Xenu! The end of Vice-Warlord Travolta! Today we buzz the tower of the entire universe!"
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
maroon barchetta
Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

Teacher_Ag said:

TXAG 05 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Agree 100% on the casting of the ace female pilot. She was one of the many great pilots. Nobody was having a secret love affair with her, although perhaps implied with Rooster a bit. She didn't have some BS sob story about her mother dying from a fighter attack in some third-world country. She didn't fall in love with nerdy Bob because he was the only non-Alpha, etc.

I was also trending towards Maverick sacrificing himself, but I don't think Tom Cruise has ever died in a movie, so that seemed unlikely. Plus, if you do that, there's no Top Gun 3: 10 Ways to Lose a Guy While Inverted

He died in Collateral

And in Vanilla Sky, twice

And in Edge of Tomorrow, fifty (?) times

And in Valkyrie

And in Oblivion, (he AND his clone)

The dude dies a lot

Frozen, not dead. One might even say he was... an iceman.
[/clicks teeth]
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

MrPlow2010 said:

I think in the 3rd movie Bill Pullman shows up as the President and flies with Bob ( Pullman's real life son) so that they can have a father son moment and it can also tie in Independence day and have Maverick fight 475th generation alien aircrafts.
Pres. Whitmore: "Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from Top Gun will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. And because all of the other countries in the world suck balls, even with superior aircraft, we're going to have to kill every single one of these stupid aliens.

Now I'd like to introduce your squadron commander for this mission. His name is Captain Pete "Tom Cruise" Mitchell and yes, he is 77 years old. But we can't be consumed by our petty age discrimination anymore.

We will be united in our common interests: Fly-bys, The Righteous Brothers, finding an acceptable commute into the Danger Zone during daylight when it's not rush hour, the Early Bird Special at Luby's, hanging with the boys, and the need for a responsible amount of speed.

Perhaps it's fate that today is March 13, the anniversary of the birthday of L. Ron Hubbard. For as you know, our enemy today are none other than Xenu, dictator of the Galactic Confederacy. When he brought his people to Earth 75 million years ago, we thought he was a being of peace. Turns out, his diabolic creation of thetans has cursed our world lo, these many years.

Today is also William H. Macy's birthday, coincidentally. And much like Billy would like to get the hell away from his controlling, fraud-committing wife Lynette Scavo, we are seeking to unhook ourselves from the yoke of oppression that these dastardedly aliens have cast upon us.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, and to see Mission Impossible 14: I Really Think this Mission Might Truly be Impossible, on Memorial Day, 2044.

And should we win the day, the 13th of March will no longer be known only as Neil Sedaka's birthday, but as the day when Top Gun declared in one voice: We will not forget about the only good role Tom Skeritt had besides Evan Drake on Cheers! We will not forget that Michael Ironside has played the same character in every role since he was in "V". We're going to live on! Everyone alive will continue knowing all the words to Great Balls of Fire even though it was released 65 years ago! Today, we celebrate the end of Xenu! The end of Vice-Warlord Travolta! Today we buzz the tower of the entire universe!"

Tom Skerritt in Alien would like a word.
#FJB
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Collective said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?

I think if you were born anytime in the late 70s through the 80s, this is a very real possibility. Same thing happened to me - didn't even know there was a movie outside of T2 for a long time.
Did y'all ever wonder why it was called Terminator 2?
#FJB
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The Collective said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?

Because there were two Terminators in the movie.

Duh.
The Collective
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

bthotugigem05
AG
I always saw movie posters calling it T2 and just thought it was the robot type he was since they were fighting a T1000
The Porkchop Express
I thought the Terminator just wanted to raise the dalmatian puppies!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
In terms of evil, Cruella wanting to SKIN DOGS >>>>> the Terminator just doing as he was programmed.
double aught
AG
Cruella wanted to do what??
bthotugigem05
AG
double aught said:

Fly an F-14
bthotugigem05
AG
double aught said:

Ok bad joke about flying the F-14.

101 Dalmatians is freaking dark. Cruella de Vil wanted a dalmatian-fur coat, which is why she got all the dalmatians together.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

In terms of evil, Cruella wanting to SKIN DOGS >>>>> the Terminator just doing as he was programmed.

Thanos>>>>>>>>Vader>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skynet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>crazy rich Karen who likes puppy coats
TCTTS
AG
Not arguing with any of that. I said the TERMINATOR, not Skynet/Vader/Thanos.

Actually, I'm going to push back a bit, because Vader is absolutely more evil than Thanos. Vader *knows* what he's doing is evil/"dark." Thanos, on the other hand, is convinced he's actually making the universe a better place. Vader is a literal terrorist, whereas Thanos believes he's simply doing his duty, and once the job is done, even retires.
jokershady
AG
See this is why I LOVE how Thanos is written cause you can argue from so many different view points of how evil is because of how tragic his flaws are….it's soooooooo good and depending on viewpoint you're absolutely correct.
dreyOO
Pro tip: took the kids to Dave and Buster's and their VR ride has a Top Gun Maverick episode. Lots of fun and similar to the mission in the movie. With Danger Zone playing the whole time.
PatAg
AG
aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?

Geeze. In a way that ruined a bit part of it for you. Originally, the idea was for people to think that Arnold was there to kill John Connor again. That the cop was there to save him. Then it was supposed to be shocking when the roles were reversed. I happened to know the truth before I walked in from a magazine or something. But you probably didn't even know that Arnold was originally bad.
I actually think this is another feather in the cap for T2, because you absolutely knew Arnold was originally bad based on how they reacted to him appearing.
I also saw T2 before seeing the original, and I've definitely rewatched T2 probably 10x more than Terminator. Not a diss against Terminator either, T2 is just an excellent film.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Actually, I'm going to push back a bit, because Vader is absolutely more evil than Thanos. Vader *knows* what he's doing is evil/"dark." Thanos, on the other hand, is convinced he's actually making the universe a better place. Vader is a literal terrorist, whereas Thanos believes he's simply doing his duty, and once the job is done, even retires.
There is a line of thinking that Obi-wan, Skywalker, etc. are the terrorists as the rebel force against the Empire.
TXAG 05
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

There is a line of thinking that Obi-wan, Skywalker, etc. are the terrorists as the rebel force against the Empire.

"You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"Obi Wan Kenobi
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Thanos was right.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

jokershady said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Terminator 2?

I actually think this is another feather in the cap for T2, because you absolutely knew Arnold was originally bad based on how they reacted to him appearing.
I also saw T2 before seeing the original, and I've definitely rewatched T2 probably 10x more than Terminator. Not a diss against Terminator either, T2 is just an excellent film.
Originally, you (the viewer) was supposed to think Arnold was the bad guy and the cop the good guy. The scene in the mall hallway was supposed to be the reveal that Arnold was really there to protect John. So basically, you were supposed to have the same reaction that Sarah Connor first had (without the running away part). I understand that the studio messed up when they made the trailer, and included that info in it. I wish I didn't know when I walked in.

But if you are younger, and never saw the original trailers, and went into T2 blind, it would have been better if you saw T1 first for that reason.
bthotugigem05
AG
That's why I never watch trailers anymore. I went into Infinity War, Endgame, and TG:M completely blind, made everything much more fun.
PatAg
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

That's why I never watch trailers anymore. I went into Infinity War, Endgame, and TG:M completely blind, made everything much more fun.
I made a similar decision a while back to try to avoid as many as I can. Usually the first teaser trailer is safe enough if I am unfamiliar with the material, but even that is getting bad about spoiling stuff.

Comedies are often the worst about putting a big joke or punchline into the trailer, and then it doesnt land when you watch the movie.
Claude!
TXAG 05 said:

MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

"You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"Obi Wan Kenobi
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!
gigemags-99
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".

Took the family to see Toy Story 4. After sitting through trailers I was thinking "it's super weird and inappropriate to show the trailer for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood along with a G movie". That when I realized, oh ***** They have the wrong reel on! I had to go out and tell them. No one was manning the projector as I guess they just set it and forget now. Nothing really bad happens at the beginning of that movie, so no harm, no foul. Luckily I had just seen OUTH. . . The other parents were oblivious.
gigemags-99
AG
Claude! said:

TXAG 05 said:

MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

Just like Daniel Laruso was the bully
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Not a diss against Terminator either, T2 is just an excellent film.
Upon seeing The Terminator back in '84, I came out thinking two things - excellent science fiction movie but one that was made on a shoestring budget. The visuals just were not terribly convincing in some parts. The opening shots of T2 blew me out of the water. Clearly the budget had been upped, and it showed on screen. I loved both of these movies, but T2 >>>> The Terminator.
#FJB
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Upon seeing The Terminator back in '84, I came out thinking two things - excellent science fiction movie but one that was made on a shoestring budget. The visuals just were not terribly convincing in some parts. The opening shots of T2 blew me out of the water. Clearly the budget had been upped, and it showed on screen. I loved both of these movies, but T2 >>>> The Terminator.

The prosthetics in the scene where the Terminator cuts out his own eyeball look so bad now.
The Collective
AG
Claude! said:

JCA1
AG
Claude! said:

TXAG 05 said:

MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

Hasn't Lucas said that Star Wars was a metaphor for the Vietnam War, with the U.S. as the Evil Empire?
The Porkchop Express
JCA1 said:

Claude! said:

TXAG 05 said:

MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

Hasn't Lucas said that Star Wars was a metaphor for the Vietnam War, with the U.S. as the Evil Empire?
"We're fighting the largest empire in the world, and we're just a bunch of hay seeds in coonskin hats that don't know nothing," he says, referencing the American Revolution against the British Empire, and how he based the heroes of Star Wars on real-life rebellions against powerful empires.

Lucas and Cameron discuss how during the Vietnam War, America became "the Empire."
"The irony is that, in both of those, the little guys won. The highly technical empire -- the English Empire, the American Empire -- lost. That was the whole point," Lucas says.
"I think science fiction is so good at these kind of social themes," says Cameron.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
SJEAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

The prosthetics in the scene where the Terminator cuts out his own eyeball look so bad now.

It does, but the stop motion/models or whatever they used for the full terminator end scenes isn't bad. T1 was on a shoestring budget even by 84 standards while T2 was probably the most expensive ever at the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.