*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,411 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggieband 83 said:

When Maverick asked Iceman about who was the better pilot, I could not hear/understand Iceman's response. Ice made a joke and some people in the audience started laughing.

What was the response said but Ice???

Ice asked Maverick who was the better pilot and Maverick responded saying something along the lines of "let's not ruin this moment"
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Quote:

And I can't say enough about the cast of Rooster and Hangman. Hangman in particular played a perfect Ice Man role... you have to sorta hate him but in the end you too want to give him a man hug.
I don't know. While I agree and really liked the dynamic between Hangman/Rooster, I walked away with a different perspective on the two. Iceman was the pilot who wouldn't make a mistake. Remember how Ice wouldn't take the shot right before Goose died? Hangman, on the other hand, was such a cavalier, risk-taker pilot who sped away from his wingman - much more like Maverick.

Hangman = Maverick
Rooster = Iceman
Gabster43213
Brian,

Its not so much that I disliked anything about. Tom Cruise did a solid job (and looks great), Jennifer C looked fantastic as well.

I believe I was missing some additional creativity to the plot.

For example, I have enjoyed every sequel to Mission Impossible as much as ite predecessor even though we know that how the movie is going to begin and, most likely, how its going to end.
Malachi Constant
AG
Great movie! The type of film that makes watching movies in theaters so awesome.

Philo B 93
When this is available streaming, I'd like to see a Top Gun / Star Wars mashup fan edit. The missions and the rescue by Han / Hang are clones. No pun intended.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Surely there are some tidbits you can drop here!

Awesome day!

85aggie777
AG
TCTTS said:

and then we went across the street for drinks and sat poolside at the Roosevelt Hotel and talked for two hours about it, with our buddy who knew everything there was to know about the making of (man, I wish I could repeat everything he told us, but I don't want to get him in trouble).
Oh my gosh, you can't leave us hanging like that!
Keegan99
AG
Maybe a handful of sufficiently obfuscated nuggets?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also great:

TCTTS
AG
Ha, ok, but these are the only relatively innocuous ones I feel comfortable sharing…

- In the original Top Gun, the "love theme" came down to Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" and The Cars' "Drive." Berlin obviously went on to be the iconic choice, but the original plan in Maverick was to then use "Drive" for this movie. In fact, that's why Penny Benjamin drives that incredible Porsche, then of course there's Mav driving her home on his motorcycle twice ("Who's gonna drive you home, tonight…"), etc. There was even a cut of the movie that used "Drive" throughout, that apparently worked really well, but then Cruise and Gaga ultimately connected and "Hold My Hand" was born.

- Worried that they might earn a PG rating, the filmmakers actually added the lone "f/ck" in the movie relatively late in the game, to ensure a PG-13 rating. There was some concern that some audience members might not take a PG "war" movie seriously.

- This one might depress the hell out of you, but at Iceman's funeral, they originally used an image of Kilmer from the original Top Gun next to his casket. However, when they test screened the movie, no one under 30 knew who the hell that was, to the point where they were even confused as to whose funeral it was. So they replaced it with the present-day admiral image of Iceman from the hallway.
Keegan99
AG
The last two are great, and kinda hilarious. Thanks.

And while the Gaga song has grown on me, they should've used Drive.

The "Drive cut" is going to become a thing now
Matt_ag98
TCTTS said:

Ha, ok, but these are the only relatively innocuous ones I feel comfortable sharing…

- This one might depress the hell out of you, but at Iceman's funeral, they originally used an image of Kilmer from the original Top Gun next to his casket. However, when they test screened the movie, no one under 30 knew who the hell that was, to the point where they were even confused as to whose funeral it was. So they replaced it with the present-day admiral image of Iceman from the hallway.

This is sad...but there was enough Gen-X fan service for me in this that I am ok with it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny cause I was just telling my brother he should watch the movie and his kids might even enjoy it. (They're 8 and 6.)

It may border on PG but it never feels like it's holding anything back.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
So I have 2 boys, 8 & 4. I honestly was very pleased with how appropriate the movie was in terms of not trying to be too edgy and risqu.

I got home and my wife asked if it was ok for the boys to go to, and honestly the only curse word I remember was the lone f bomb, so I am very thankful to be able to take my boys to a movie, allow them to enjoy it and not have to worry about providing life lessons afterwards.

Probably one of the things I like the most about the movie. There was nothing being pushed other than here's a bad ass movie, we hope you enjoy.

Please pass on the gratitude of a dad who gets to share this with his sons, just as I shared it with my father.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Keegan99
AG
It was less edgy than the original. No real love scene, at least not compared to the blue-lit Take My Breath Away segment of the original.
BaitShack
AG
I loved how everyone at the top gun base suddenly made it out to the carrier together.
JB!98
AG
Keegan99 said:

The last two are great, and kinda hilarious. Thanks.

And while the Gaga song has grown on me, they should've used Drive.

The "Drive cut" is going to become a thing now
Damn, I wish I would not have know that. Drive would have been perfect and given us old a super dose of nostalgia while youngsters would have just thought is was a good song. The lyrics are also perfect for the scene and their romance.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Put me down for thinking the Lady Gaga song is not good. Pretty bland and forgettable to me. Very generic.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Put me down for thinking the Lady Gaga song is not good. Pretty bland and forgettable to me. Very generic.

I didn't like it at first. But with the video and then how it is subtly in the movie, it grew on me.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
LMCane
TyHolden said:

Where happened to maverick's original girlfriend?

Gooses wife?
Gooses wife (Meg Ryan) died of cancer. I think they killed her off because Ryan is very old looking and hasn't been acting in several years. and so that it made Mav the only family Rooster had

Kelly McGillis is old also and nearly obese.
LMCane
BaitShack said:

I loved how everyone at the top gun base suddenly made it out to the carrier together.
or that Mav has his very own crew chief who follows him all over the world.
LMCane
bagger05 said:

AgTrip said:

Loved it but my only complaint...

Who goes sailing in a pair of boots???

The type of person who plays beach volleyball in jeans.
a better question- what was the point of Mav on a sailboat for 4 minutes

other than for him to tell us that not every officer in the Navy knows how to sail.
LMCane
tk for tu juan said:

The movie was awesome. There were two moments that briefly took me out of the film. First moment, the worst possible day of almost losing an aviator to g-lock, almost losing an aviator to a bird strike, and finding out Iceman passed away. Little too much drama in a sequence. Second moment, Mav running thru the woods, had to hold back laughter at Cruise's running style. Like he was turtling heading for a toilet.

Phoenix was absolutely beautiful, the sailing scene was awesome, and living in a hangar that contains a P-51 would be an awesome retirement

BTW, hardly noticed during the movie they had a nameless, faceless enemy. It didn't matter in the storytelling/action
who here thinks that Tom Cruise in real life has a hangar like that and works on his P-51 himself...

or that he just has a crew that does all the maintenance.

you know what would make an amazing Netflix series:

watching Tom Cruise in a hangar doing mainenance on a P-51 Mustang and then taking her out for some dogfighting
Keegan99
AG
A throwback to Mav's time as a JAG.

Quote:

Kaffee: Whoa. Hold it. We gotta take a boat?

Barnes: Yes, sir. To get to the other side of the bay.

Kaffee: Nobody said anything about a boat.

Barnes: Is there a problem, sir?

Kaffee: No, no problem. I'm just not that crazy about boats, that's all.

Galloway: Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you're in the Navy for crying out loud.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Matt_ag98 said:

TCTTS said:

This is sad...but there was enough Gen-X fan service for me in this that I am ok with it

Dang the military budget is tight when you can only have 1 picture at your funeral. Geez
Big Bucks
AG
Keegan99 said:

Jon Hamm as Cyclone was pitch perfect as "pr i ck of a commanding officer", and the two-star Warlock was spot on as the comedic mediator between Cyclone and Mav. If either of those roles miss by even a bit, the movie doesn't work.

I texted some friends literally an hour ago and said "Jon Hamm plays the best "pr i ck" on the planet."
Keegan99
AG
Hamm on being offered the role. To say he was enthusiastic is an understatement.

Quote:

I got a call. I remember I was in my car and the phone rang. And I picked it up, hands-free of course. They said, "They're looking at you for this Top Gun sequel." And I was like, "What? Hell yes." They said, "We haven't seen a script." I said, "Tell them yes."

"I'm in."

Yeah! "Well, we don't know what we're getting paid." "I don't care. Tell them, yes. We'll work all that **** out later."
tk for tu juan
In real life he has someone that maintains his P-51.
'03ag
tk for tu juan said:

I'm sure the vast majority is done by someone else.

I do think I heard recently that he has his mechanics certification. But that thing have a Merlin in it? That's kind of like having one of Jay Leno's ridiculous old cars. Probably only a handful of people that can work on that.
Big Bucks
AG
BTW, both kids made all A's in their Algebra and advanced math classes this year. Appreciated your summer help! And we all went to see the movie together, son absolutely loved it!
birdman
Just saw it. Awesome movie. I was huge fan of original when it came out. Nostalgia makes this movie better. But you don't need it. This movie stands on it's own merits. Lots of fun. Flying sequences were ridiculous.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
'03ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

I do think I heard recently that he has his mechanics certification. But that thing have a Merlin in it? That's kind of like having one of Jay Leno's ridiculous old cars. Probably only a handful of people that can work on that.
Can't speak with certainty as to how Cruise's 'stand is outfitted, but in terms of WWII, the P-51 only became the superior Allied fighter in Europe after they replaced its original Allison engine with the British Merlin. AFAIK, the P-51D, which Cruise's appears to be (I say appears because it could actually be a P-51K or a later Korean War F-51), was the first Mustang variant to get the Merlin. /warbird nerd
#FJB
LMCane
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

'03ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

Can't speak with certainty as to how Cruise's 'stand is outfitted, but in terms of WWII, the P-51 only became the superior Allied fighter in Europe after they replaced its original Allison engine with the British Merlin. AFAIK, the P-51D, which Cruise's appears to be (I say appears because it could actually be a P-51K or a later Korean War F-51), was the first Mustang variant to get the Merlin. /warbird nerd
the bigger question is:

why is there no nose art on Cruise's Mustang?!?

tk for tu juan
It use to say "Kiss Me Kate", obviously removed after the divorce from Katie Holmes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.