*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,900 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I enjoyed it more the second time also.
maroon barchetta
C1NRB said:

Saw it this afternoon.

I was surprised how many olds were there. Gen X I expected, but there was a couple already seated on the row in front of us and I haven't been smacked that hard by Estee Lauder since my grandmother died in 1992. (If you know, you know)
Then another elderly couple came in and sat a few seats over from us.
Lastly, a three generation family- grandparents, middle age parents, and elementary age kids- took up almost a whole row.

I was working at a movie theater in 1986 when Top Gun came out. Needless to say, I saw it numerous times. This one was as good, but I won't see it as many times as I did the first one. I am open to a repeat viewing, which is more than I can say for most movies.

We did get the pre-show PSA.

We had the fragrance experience on Memorial Day when an older couple came down our row. Smelled like a funeral home.
CoachRTM
AG
double aught said:

What's going on in the scene where Mav shows up at Penny's bar in his dress uniform? If I'm remembering right, there's no dialogue

There's no dialogue, but to me it's fairly obvious based on their non-verbals.

- Penny tells him to fight for the mission after he's been "let go" from it.
- Maverick does the unsanctioned bombing run.
- Maverick has been told he's flying the mission as team leader (which he wasn't expecting)
- Mav puts on his serious face (and serious outfit) and goes to tell Penny that he's flying on this super dangerous mission, putting his life at risk when that was never the plan.
- Penny goes from "playful bar owner" to "concerned but understanding girlfriend" really fast.
Doctor51
AG
It's the best movie I've seen in a long dang time and may be the best 2nd movie I've ever seen in a series.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
double aught said:

What's going on in the scene where Mav shows up at Penny's bar in his dress uniform? If I'm remembering right, there's no dialogue

I wondered the same thing. Did they cut Iceman's funeral or something else? It was the only other time in the trailer he was wearing them.
Sea Speed
AG
I know I said it in the other thread but.....

INJECT THE FINAL ACT DIRECTLY IN TO MY ****ING VEINS
Sea Speed
AG
I literally let out an uncontrolled YES! When they launched off the carrier at the end. Legitmately the bombing run was the best scenes I've ever seen on screen. I'm sure Hollywood will figure out how to top it, but I've got no freaking clue how. If I ever rent out a movie theater to watch a movie for the hell of it, im just going to ask for the final act looped together 8 times.
MooreTrucker
AG
C1NRB said:

Saw it this afternoon.

I was surprised how many olds were there. Gen X I expected, but there was a couple already seated on the row in front of us and I haven't been smacked that hard by Estee Lauder since my grandmother died in 1992. (If you know, you know)

I read this to my wife, whose late Mom wore Estee Lauder and she thought it was hilarious.
85aggie777
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

double aught said:

I wondered the same thing. Did they cut Iceman's funeral or something else? It was the only other time in the trailer he was wearing them.

He wore his dress blues for Iceman's funeral. The only time you see him in the dress whites is the bar scene. I think they just needed an excuse to put him in that uniform.
Southlake
Saw it yesterday and it was just so good. Didn't disappoint. Being a Boomer, I particularly enjoyed the nuanced throwbacks, especially the way the music would introduce a scene with just a couple of notes from the original sound track to set the mood. Other throwbacks were as subtle as a catapult launch…

This was a scream, but the original is one of my top 5 all time movies. I had just finished AF pilot training as really amped up. Also, there were absolutely no expectations in 1986. The original soundtrack is iconic. I expect more from Lady Gaga but her song just didnt dent the movie as Take My Breath Away did. Thank you, Terry Nunn.

Few items:

When you pull Gs, it's the immediate onset that gets you unless you're in a continuous turn with constant loading. 10 Gs is just outrageous. I'd bet the F18 is limited to 8.5 or so - less with weapons hanging or a laser pod. A constant 10 G pull up doesn't happen, maybe initially, but after that, your energy level would diminish and you'd trade off airspeed in the climb. You'd rip panels off the wings. Even when you fly a loop, the initial pull is 6 Gs and then relaxed in the vertical until the bottom of the loop. My other complaint would be how much gas they'd burn at that low altitude in afterburner.

Also, loss of consciousness that low due to G-lock would have been unrecoverable and ejection would have been out of the envelop with such a downward vector.

Just a couple flying things that raised this pilots eyebrows. Of course it's a movie and it was an excellent ride.

Big props here to Tom Cruise not only for his spot on portrayal of Maverick in his 50s but more so for his professionalism in making this movie perfect in every aspect. The attention to detail was noteworthy. Cruise is not only a great actor, but also a great movie maker - another parallel to his maturity as Mavericks was in the movie.
Decay
AG
I think I went into G-LOC for the final scene. Great time but pretty chaotic.

But the unauthorized canyon run is my favorite, I think a lot because of how hard the filmmakers worked to earn it.

-Everyone struggles to make the run on time. Repeated failures.
-Air boss says it's impossible so they're doing it his way
-The team lost an airframe, Maverick has been kicked off, and Iceman died, showing just how hopeless it is (a little cheesy to stack everything up at the same time but it still painted a very bleak picture)
-Mav has done some nifty flying but in the back of our minds we wonder if he really still has it

I turned off the silly seat-shaking thing for most of the movie but when he announced he was on the range, I turned it on because I knew I wouldn't enjoy a movie moment as much as that for a long time. Euphoric.

Edit: I forgot how he also said to put the timer at 2:15. Silly how they can just throw arbitrary numbers around but in the moment you just eat it up. "No way he can make it that fast?!"
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Ah, right.
bthotugigem05
AG
Mav's training run and the scene with the Tomahawks going past the jets are up there with the portal scene from Endgame as my favorite movie theater moments ever.
maroon barchetta
BenTheGoodAg said:

double aught said:

Still think it's possible he was proposing or otherwise committing in some way to Penny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My question is how is someone that hot still single when Mav arrives?
emando2000
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Think about how many guys have run through that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$68M+ second weekend for an excellent -46% hold

Holy ****, upped to $84.5M. I've never seen a Friday projection upped by almost 25% I don't think.

-33% is a stronger hold than TFA's -40% second weekend.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

She's 51 in this.

The original was set 35 years ago.

If she was already ****ing around with fighter pilots at 16........
Sea Speed
AG
emando2000 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just because a woman is smoking hot doesn't mean she's loose.
Four Seasons Landscaping
If she's ****ing fighter pilots at 16 she is.
TCTTS
AG
BAP Enthusiast
TCTTS said:

From what I am seeing elsewhere, this number may go up even more.

I've never seen word of mouth like I have for this movie. The worst comment I have seen is "I liked it but not as much as the original." Everyone has been raving about it and I've been telling everyone I know to go see it.

Regardless of your politics, it's a movie about American Patriotism done in a manner that cannot be criticized with fighter pilots doing extraordinary things in service to their country with a big potential that they might die.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Too bad Jurassic World opens this week in IMAX theaters cause I could've seen it have another crazy good hold next weekend.

Still will have great legs I think.
Sea Speed
AG
Speaking of word of mouth, a table of 3 70ish year old women at a restaurant we were at yesterday were talking about wanting to see it. I thought that was kind of funny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Serious question, are there any 50+ year old women in Hollywood that look as good as Jennifer Connelly? That can't be a long list.
Dro07
AG
It's long but distinguished
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sea Speed said:

Speaking of word of mouth, a table of 3 70ish year old women at a restaurant we were at yesterday were talking about wanting to see it. I thought that was kind of funny.

What's amazing is those women are only 10 years older than Cruise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dro07 said:

It's long and distinguished

Is it? Anniston and Hayek came to mind, but that's about it.
Sea Speed
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sea Speed said:

What's amazing is those women are only 10 years older than Cruise.

They looked ancient. Maybe they were older than that. So wild to think about.
emando2000
AG
Sea Speed said:

emando2000 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just because a woman is smoking hot doesn't mean she's loose.
It's just the reality of the situation. It's also highly unlikely that a 51 yr old bartender/owner looks like that. That bar was full of guys that would gladly oblige.
Dro07
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dro07 said:

It's long and distinguished

Is it? Anniston and Hayek came to mind, but that's about it.

What about Mia Johnson?
maroon barchetta
Had to go to a business this morning to pick up something my wife had dropped off for repair.

Talking to two of the college-aged gals that were helping me and making chit chat, and I asked them if they had seen the new Top Gun.

They had, and they had seen the original. One of them had seen it in English class (not sure if high school or college) because they had to use it as an example of toxic masculinity and write a paper about it.

FFS
bagger05
AG
Just asked the family group text who'd seen it. My mom was the first response:

"We saw it and we loved it!"
TCTTS
AG
What I'm really hoping studios take from the box office performance here is that there's a whole, underserved audience out there who will gladly show up for quality, "real world" blockbusters, aka spectacles of the non superhero variety. Granted, this is a legacy sequel to a beloved, wildly popular movie from the '80s, so it's next to impossible to replicate, but still. I've just heard so many people, when talking about this movie on podcasts, Twitter, in real life, etc, express relief/appreciation at how refreshing it is that the final act to a big, summer blockbuster didn't involve CGI creations punching each other. Superhero movies obviously can and will continue to exists - and I'll still enjoy the best of them - but the lesson of the last two weekends needs to be that we're *also* craving more blockbusters like Top Gun, Mission: Impossible, etc, featuring real people doing real stunts on a giant IMAX screen, with relatively straightforward stakes, genuine, heartfelt emotion, and no woke bullsh*t in the margins.

Hollywood has the opportunity to usher in a new era here, one that serves an even broader audience, if they'd just pull their collective heads out of their asses and see the writing on the wall.
Bunk Moreland
Coming off the heels of The Northman, this has been an amazing run for regaining that theater audience you are alluding to. I'm not even an old and I have zero interest in seeing marvel, DC, or star wars movies in a theater.

Hopefully studios are recognizing this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.