*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,412 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Squadron7 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I knew a David Davidson the FOURTH growing up. Since my work takes me to the nordics pretty frequently, I know more than one Christian Christianson, it's common in the patronymic naming countries.

Wasn't there a David McDavid car dealership back in the day?

Yep. I believe it was for Oldsmobile. My parents had at least one from that dealer.
#FJB
TexasAggie_02
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uh oh.

I only read the quotes in the article, but this seems like a shameless money grab attempt.

On one hand, I get the of wanting to protect your father/mother's creative work, but so often these lawsuits are just talent-less children trying to get an easy paycheck.
Here's the 1983 article if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.topgunbio.com/top-guns-by-ehud-yonay/

I don't see how they can claim a trademark to "Top Gun," as the article states (just as the movie) that this is what the pilots call the flight school. The article admits that the phrase Top Gun goes back to the 1950s. I really don't see anything in that article that translates into either movie, so the whole thing seems like BS to me.
Sea Speed
AG
Squadron7 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I knew a David Davidson the FOURTH growing up. Since my work takes me to the nordics pretty frequently, I know more than one Christian Christianson, it's common in the patronymic naming countries.

Thanks dick, now I can hear their jingle in my head.
bthotugigem05
AG
Well at least they didn't say "Raaaay, it's that Clobberline again"
aTmAg
AG
I'm not sure I wrote this already, but I think this may be the one and only movie filmed this way with military fighters. The F-18 is likely to be the last 2 seater (American) fighter built. The F-35, which will probably last another 20 years, is single seat. And a huge reason it is single seat is that it has this thing called "sensor fusion" which enables one pilot to do the job of several. Future aircraft (if they are manned at all) will undoubtedly take this concept to more of an extreme. So I can't see them ever being able to film a movie this way again.

So, in short, this may possibly go down as the greatest jet fighter movie ever.
maroon barchetta
Had a classmate whose dad was named David David. They lived around the corner from my cousin.

I think he had a home remodel business or building or foundation repair or something.

The name of the business was D Squared.
rynning
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

EclipseAg said:

Re: box office success.

I think you guys are underestimating the power of Kenny Loggins.

The best decision they made was repeating the intro basically frame for frame. The moment the intro song hits on the paramount screen I knew what they were fixing to do and moved to the edge of my seat in anticipation.

And of course when Loggins hits, you're just fully consumed.
Not to mention they used exactly the same font. Perfect way to connect the two movies together.
jr15aggie
AG
I always thought the Rocky intros were great in a similar way. Bringing in the previous films at the start just makes it feel like a seamless transition.
tk for tu juan
Sea Speed said:

Squadron7 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Thanks dick, now I can hear their jingle in my head.

The one in Irving had this cool sign, it was hit once by a corvette that flew off 183 after hitting the old large bump at high speeds
tk for tu juan
TCTTS said:

And on my second viewing, it struck me how effective it was in showing those fighter jets being "prepped"/taking off, but then being like, "Actually, that's not the story we're going to tell quite yet," and instead cutting to lowly ol' Mav, alone in his bachelor hangar, "prepping" HIS little plane. It was just a nice contrast that set the stage well.

The cool part is the music slowly fades as the camera pulls back from the carrier, like we are walking away from a party/concert
TexasAggie_02
AG
Be sure your get your car insurance from Rodney d Young

maroon barchetta
TexasAggie_02 said:

Be sure your get your car insurance from Rodney d Young

bthotugigem05
AG
800-588-2300...
maroon barchetta
Make sure you look good before you go meet your insurance agent.

Better head down to Command Performance and get a new hairstyle. And maybe try to pick up a single mom on a park bench???

1:35 mark

Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was about to post, it's hard to believe Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt have never worked together.

Then I remembered Interview With the Vampire.

MooreTrucker
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

800-588-2300...
Empiiiiiire
RC_57
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Better head down to Command Performance and get a new hairstyle. And maybe try to pick up a single mom on a park bench???

Considering the times when these commercials came out, I like the subtle "these jeans make you look upscale" with the subtle AmEx card appearance as she slips it in the back pocket.
maroon barchetta
RC_57 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Considering the times when these commercials came out, I like the subtle "these jeans make you look upscale" with the subtle AmEx card appearance as she slips it in the back pocket.

We all loved Vanderbilt and Jordache jeans on the girls when we were in 5th grade.
jbeaman88
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Southlake said:

So, the comments are starting to repeat so I was wondering who holds a candle to the fabulous Jennifer Connolly?

+/- 5 years maybe?

I'm thinking Kate Beckensale.

JC or KB? Who ya got?

Aniston?
Yes, and also gotta throw Bullock in the mix at almost 58.
jr15aggie
AG
Connolly #1

dreyOO
Just saw it. Loved it. Saw the original a day before so I'd be refreshed ahead of it. Great callbacks.

Only minor complaint was Cruise wearing those womanly jorts in the football scene. Haha

ETA: we also watched Val's self-documentary on Prime about a month ago. Wife and I were gripped by it. That scene with Ice really got to me. Love Val
MooreTrucker
AG
Just saw it again in IMAX. The suspense was obviously lessened at the second viewing but my pulse rate still topped 100 for the whole bombing run/dogfight scenes.
Scriffer
AG
Saw it in IMAX last night, and I pretty much grinned like an idiot the whole way through. I purposely don't watch trailers of movies I'm excited for, so I was blown away from the get go.

Some of the callbacks were a little heavy-handed, but I don't care. My favorite was Penny with the vintage Porsche as a tribute to Charlie's 356.

I want to see it again before it leaves theaters, and I want a bigger TV for when I get the blu ray.
maroon barchetta
There better be a ton of bonus features about the making of the movie on the Blu-Ray.

I'm talking actors using their puke bags in the cockpit and Cruise and the Skunkworks people laughing about how the Blackstar is going to totally fake out the Chinese and Russians.
CAR96
AG
Saw the original movie in the theater as a kid, had it on laser disc growing up...loved every moment of this movie since it came out.

I think this one is better.

I saw Maverick last Friday in 4Dx (where the seats shake, vibrate, smoke pumped into theater, etc) and have never experienced a movie this way and it was fantastic.

Saw it again today in IMAX and loved it again. The scene at the end hugging Rooster made me tear this time (but not last time). How can a movie do that?
mazzag
AG
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTd35F32A/?k=1
Latrobe
AG
Any chance this thing is still on ani max screen somewhere in Houston for a Monday afternoon showing....Or has the T rex movie taken over?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Think it just depends on the theater. Some might go back to Maverick after opening weekend.
Squadron7
AG
I wish Howard Hughes could somehow come alive long enough to watch this thing.

Sazerac
AG
Looks like today is the last on IMAX according to fandango. That surprised me.

Honestly it wasn't worth $20 matinee for imax IMO.
AlaskanAg99
AG
IMAX at PostOak/10

What ****ty seats. Will not go back there ever again.
TXAG 05
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

IMAX at PostOak/10

What ****ty seats. Will not go back there ever again.

You mean the Marq'e? What was wrong with them? That's where I saw it and didn't have any issues.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm tall. There's no legroom.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
wangus12
AG
Had some patients not show up so I'm gonna go see it again

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.