*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,887 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTmAg said:

tk for tu juan said:

Instructors talk about the movie and their experiences:

I'd be curious what active duty pilots think about this. I haven't watched any of it besides the quick summary up front, but I've heard cases in real life where pilots get in deep crap for barely over speeding their airplane. Hard to believe a guy took his F-18 3.5 Gs over the limit unless it was during war and he was fighting to survive.
So I watched the video, and I will defer to them. They clearly knew what they were talking about.
rynning
AG
Sorry if already talked about, but the similarities with Star Wars IV are unreal. The three-meter ventilation target, the flying through a path to get there, the shot without a guidance system, etc. All great but a little goofy.
bthotugigem05
AG
Goofy wasn't in Star Wars, miniature version or not
MooreTrucker
AG
rynning said:

Sorry if already talked about, but the similarities with Star Wars IV are unreal. The three-meter ventilation target, the flying through a path to get there, the shot without a guidance system, etc. All great but a little goofy.
So?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
MooreTrucker said:

rynning said:

So?
It deviated from a "serious" plot line to Wallyworld.
TCTTS
AG
Wallyworld? Really?

Personally, I love the Star Wars/trench run/Death Star vibe, but it's also so much more than that. If they just had to fire a missile or two at some above ground target, the mission losses a layer of tension/difficulty. And obviously, you always want maximum tension/difficulty. Because it's just that much better when the heroes finally pull it off, usually at the last second.

Point is, it didn't feel goofy at all to me, and instead felt imperative from a writing/plotting/tension standpoint. Anything easier wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying in the end.
BoxingAg84
Sorry if already discussed but does anyone know why they never revealed who the US "enemy" was? Did the filmmaker not want to ruffle any feathers or be too political? I noticed that they were very strategic about not naming any countries…
bthotugigem05
AG
They never did it in the first either. It's smart from a marketing standpoint.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wally world? As in the theme park from Vacation, or Walmart?
TCTTS
AG
Not only is that how they did it in the first movie (as stated above), but the director has said he wants people to be able to watch this 20 years from now and have it not feel dated in terms of its geopolitics. He wanted to make a "timeless" movie, which I think is a super smart move.
Matt_ag98
85aggie777 said:

maroon barchetta said:

His buddy was an admiral. He could do what he wanted!
One of the fellow pilots in the squadron we served in during the 80s eventually became CINCPACFLT. He was in charge when the USS Fitzgerald had the collision with the merchant ship in 2017. He was asked to retire because of the incident. Again, real life versus movies.
No offense to your friend but 7th fleet had a couple of collisions and issues in 2017 and a appears huge leadership/training issues...maybe not at the 4 star level but still
85aggie777
AG
Matt_ag98 said:

85aggie777 said:

One of the fellow pilots in the squadron we served in during the 80s eventually became CINCPACFLT. He was in charge when the USS Fitzgerald had the collision with the merchant ship in 2017. He was asked to retire because of the incident. Again, real life versus movies.
No offense to your friend but 7th fleet had a couple of collisions and issues in 2017 and a appears huge leadership/training issues...maybe not at the 4 star level but still
Exactly. He was held responsible for the mistakes of his subordinates, even though they were far removed from him directly in the chain of command.
CT'97
AG
Fun movie, enjoyed it and the nostalgia.
I'm curious how so many Naval Aviators are running around with Purple Hearts? We haven't had a Navy plane shot down since, I don't know when.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
country
AG
Just finished our second viewing. First time since the 90s that I've watched a movie twice in the theaters. First time my kids have ever done it and the second viewing was at their request. I don't know how many times they will end up watching. I almost think it was better the second time.
Sports-Ag
AG
Just saw this and wow this was a fun/great movie.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Not only is that how they did it in the first movie (as stated above), but the director has said he wants people to be able to watch this 20 years from now and have it not feel dated in terms of its geopolitics. He wanted to make a "timeless" movie, which I think is a super smart move.
Well then he should've had "Indian Ocean. Present Day." on screen during an establishing shot.

TCTTS
AG
AggieKatie2
AG
Was really good. First time in a long time I enjoyed seeing a movie in theater.
lazuras_dc
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

MooreTrucker said:

rynning said:

I turned to my buddy and said Roosters going to have to "use the force" before the guidance system failed and he actually had to do it manually.

A little predictable on that front as well as hangman coming in to blow the enemy pilot to smithereens but overall still one of the best movies I've seen in years.
double aught
AG
So why did only two of the F18s take a shot at the target as opposed to all four? I mean, they went to all the trouble of getting there.
bthotugigem05
AG
The two-seater F18s were there for laser targeting.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The plan was for the rear 2 seat F18s to have the targeting pod with the rear RO targeting.

I don't think it's unrealistic that Hangman was sent out one Rooster turned on his transponder. The other 2 planes were already low on fuel. They would have told Mav he was in bound though.
double aught
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I just don't understand why this was the plan. With such a difficult target, seems you'd give yourself twice as many chances.

Maybe there are some F18 logistics I don't understand. Can a single fighter not target and fire? Could've just been for the story's sake which is fine. Not a big deal.
bthotugigem05
AG
I would think that with that flight profile they'd want a person solely responsible for targeting instead of also flying.

I'm not a pilot or anything, just what I gathered from watching it.
htxag09
AG
Which is exactly what they want you to gather in the movie. Is it right? Who cares. It's a movie. Not a documentary.

End of the day, real life is boring as hell. Movies aren't made to simulate real life. They're made to entertain.
'03ag
double aught said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I just don't understand why this was the plan. With such a difficult target, seems you'd give yourself twice as many chances.

Maybe there are some F18 logistics I don't understand. Can a single fighter not target and fire? Could've just been for the story's sake which is fine. Not a big deal.
One of the real Top Gun pilots in the youtube video someone else posted said that it is a valid tactic he has used. The single seaters CAN do both, but that it's nice to have a dedicated weapons officer that can laser the target for you.
double aught
AG
Good info, thanks. But it kind of supports my point. Seems that Phoenix could've taken a shot on the first pass in addition to Mav. Neither was doing the targeting; Bob was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think I remember seeing this exact same article for Sylvester Stallone a couple years back. (70s - 10s)

It must be a pretty short list, I'd think. Maybe Harrison Ford is on that, too.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Gonna suck in 100 years when nerds watching it are like "Uranium? really, they were worried about uranium?"
aTmAg
AG
'03ag said:

double aught said:

bthotugigem05 said:

One of the real Top Gun pilots in the youtube video someone else posted said that it is a valid tactic he has used. The single seaters CAN do both, but that it's nice to have a dedicated weapons officer that can laser the target for you.
Which is strange since TFLIR systems can automatically track targets based on heat differences. I would think a vent would be the perfect thing to track for that.
'03ag
double aught said:

Good info, thanks. But it kind of supports my point. Seems that Phoenix could've taken a shot on the first pass in addition to Mav. Neither was doing the targeting; Bob was.
Yeah maybe so. The pilot did was specific that he'd used the Weapons Officer from different jet while he was flying single seat. Who knows. They do fly with wingmen, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was common for them to have different weapons loadouts. I'm sure if something had happened to the first jet, the 2nd one could've tried to fire as well.
LMCane
BoxingAg84 said:

Sorry if already discussed but does anyone know why they never revealed who the US "enemy" was? Did the filmmaker not want to ruffle any feathers or be too political? I noticed that they were very strategic about not naming any countries…

they didn't reveal the original enemy in TG I either, even though everyone thought it was the Soviets.

both movies have an amorphous enemy- but clearly it was Russia in 1986 and Iran today.

Iran the only country to have F-14s in the world.
Iran the only country about to go live with nuclear weapons where we need to take out their reactor first
even the mountains are in Iran, and the fact a carrier in the Arabian Gulf would be able to strike them
emando2000
AG
I felt like a complete kid again! Blown...Away!!!

The cast was as about as good as it gets. I mean, come on....John Hamm was perfect and his call sign Cyclone was pretty bad ass! Admiral Bates (Warlock) Rooster, Hondo, Hangman. Jennifer Connelly was a nice touch although I wouldn't expect a 51 yr old bartender to look like that. She's pretty stunning for her age.

Loved
That first flight scene hitting mach 10 was cool AF!
Ed Harris playing Stinger's role letting Tom know he's going back to Top Gun was great!
Rooster playing Great Balls of Fire
Military everything. From the flight scenes to the carrier firing off the missiles to the air craft missile defense...action packed!

Absolutely Loved
-That picture of Iceman and Maverick on the flight deck, it instantly took you back. You can hear in your head, "Maverick....you can be my wingman anytime. Bullshet...you can be mine." I want that for my wall. The nostalgia of the old pics. The way it took you back without showing you was more than I ever imagined.

Iceman's role. I liked how they communicated via text instilling the wonder. When are they gonna show him? How are they gonna show him? And when they did, the machismo of the movie halted and the respect/friendship came together. Wow.

Cheesy/slight eye roll
As someone mentioned earlier. Tom running in the woods. I looked over to my gf and said "run forest run".
Rooster saying "Talk to me Dad". I thought that was a bit much. I would rather had him saying "Where are you at Dad, talk to me." To basically say it word for word was cheesy to me.

Man I can't wait to see it again and again and again!
htxag09
AG
emando2000 said:

Absolutely Loved
-That picture of Iceman and Maverick on the flight deck, it instantly took you back. You can hear in your head, "Maverick....you can be my wingman anytime. Bullshet...you can be mine." I want that for my wall. The nostalgia of the old pics. The way it took you back without showing you was more than I ever imagined.
Not going to lie, I was waiting for Rooster and Hangman to have this exchange
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Most unrealistic part of this movie is a bunch of millenials (possibly zoomers?) knowing all the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.