*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,890 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Fairview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live by a military High Altitude Training facility so I'm used to seeing all kinds of aircraft flying around and usually pretty low. I think a couple of the guys in the training program this session saw the movie this weekend because two fighters flew right by my house this morning which is in between some mountains recreating the scene. It was basically like they buzzed the tower in my house with as loud as it was and as much as it shook. I only saw the tail end of the second one so I couldn't identify the model jet.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Fairview said:

I live by a military High Altitude Training facility so I'm used to seeing all kinds of aircraft flying around and usually pretty low. I think a couple of the guys in the training program this session saw the movie this weekend because two fighters flew right by my house this morning which is in between some mountains recreating the scene. It was basically like they buzzed the tower in my house with as loud as it was and as much as it shook. I only saw the tail end of the second one so I couldn't identify the model jet.
But did you get some [to bust some] ass, or however the Tower commander yelled at Tom Skerritt in the first movie?
#FJB
AggBock
AG
I want some butts!
Yoda
AG
Jarrin' Jay
AG
TCTTS said:

Days of Thunder aka TOP CAR
bthotugigem05
AG
I'm just waiting for the prequels.

Top Gun: The Goose is Loose
Dro07
AG
I wouldnt mind seeing Old Mitchell in a dogfight during Nam
JB!98
AG

This is a fantastic idea. With the way they were able to pull off this one imagine what they could do with the prequel. It would pay tribute to the Vietnam Air War and still be kick ass with the story of Maverick's Dad. It could mirror something along the Randy Cunningham story where he graduates from Top Gun and then goes to Vietnam and becomes an ace except this time he dies instead of going to prison for being a corrupt politician.

Somebody make it happen!

There are F-4's and a variety of old Migs in private ownership, so they could pull off the same level of realism that they did with this one.

For those not familiar with Randall "Duke" Cunningham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Cunningham
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Dro07 said:

Maverick is Duke Mitchell's kid.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Or look up videos of VR1350 and VR1355 to see the North Cascades training routes that were actually used in the film.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/s6jgpj/cascades_military_training_route_flight_plan/

Funky Winkerbean
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I'm just waiting for the prequels.

Top Gun: The Goose is Loose
Naaahhh.."We've Come to Save The Rooster" complete with grunge era soundtrack.
TCTTS
AG
Just came upon this article on Twitter (below), and now that this is out there, another little "insider" bit I'll divulge is that the Taiwanese flag was, indeed, removed from the jacket in early posters/the first trailer, though there's more to the story than that.

First of all, it's literally the *exact* same jacket from the original movie, patches and everything, pulled out of storage. And it was someone in marketing who first raised a red flag (no pun intended) that the Taiwanese flag would almost assuredly piss off China, while going over poster options. Paramount freaked out and then had everything digitally altered just before the initial marketing push way back when.

Well, after the first marketing materials were released, it was CRUISE who saw what was done, and saw that certain people were up in arms about it being altered, and demanded Paramount change it back for the movie (or, rather, demanded they not touch the jacket for the movie itself). He didn't give a sh*t about China and told Paramount this is an American movie made for American audiences.

And they actually listened.

THAT'S how much power that dude has…

country
AG
That is badass. Cruise is a weird duck to me personally….but as a movie goer I don't give two you know whats. He is the best action movie star of my generation and we've had a lot of them.
Pignorant
AG
Felt the movie needed a "Launch Hangman on Alert 5!" from Hamm.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Didn't need to lose the nose gear when they took off in the stolen plane.
country
AG
Pignorant said:

I agree with this. At that point in the movie it had been a while since a callback had been made (other than the F14 of course). The launch on alert 5 would have been good.
Stive
AG
Pignorant said:

Yes they did! When all the other parallels and call backs that would have been a great line. It would have taken away some of the surprise of him coming in to save the day but if it had been done early enough in the sequence it might have worked.
Stive
AG
country said:

Pignorant said:

I agree with this. At that point in the movie it had been a while since a callback had been made (other than the F14 of course). The launch on alert 5 would have been good.

"Come on Mav! Show me some of that pilot s***" begs to differ!!!
JB!98
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

This I agree with, I don't know how having to take the barricade added anything to the movie. When "Hangman" pulled up beside him I could have went for a "Anyone seen an aircraft carrier around here?" line.

Something that also stuck out to me that many people probably caught is the use of "splitting the throttles" in the Tomcat. That was an old trick that Tomcat pilots (Hoser) used to get a lot of yaw movement out of the plane. The asymmetric thrust that the Tomcat could produce from the engines being so far apart could do some weird tricks. Somebody explained that to Cruise for him to use that line in the movie. As a Tomcat nerd, I found that very satisfying.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/no-kill-like-a-guns-kill-remembering-joe-hoser-satrapa-the-f-14-driver-who-scored-two-simulated-gun-kills-on-usaf-f-15s-for-two-times-in-the-same-mission/
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
country
AG
Stive said:

country said:

Pignorant said:

"Come on Mav! Show me some of that pilot s***" begs to differ!!!

Well hell….time for another viewing I guess
Stive
AG
JB!98 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

This I agree with, I don't know how having to take the barricade added anything to the movie. When "Hangman" pulled up beside him I could have went for a "Anyone seen an aircraft carrier around here?" line.
/

THAT would have actually been badass.
tk for tu juan
Instructors talk about the movie and their experiences:

aTmAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Just came upon this article on Twitter (below), and now that this is out there, another little "insider" bit I'll divulge is that the Taiwanese flag was, indeed, removed from the jacket in early posters/the first trailer, though there's more to the story than that.

First of all, it's literally the *exact* same jacket from the original movie, patches and everything, pulled out of storage. And it was someone in marketing who first raised a red flag (no pun intended) that the Taiwanese flag would almost assuredly piss off China, while going over poster options. Paramount freaked out and then had everything digitally altered just before the initial marketing push way back when.

Well, after the first marketing materials were released, it was CRUISE who saw what was done, and saw that certain people were up in arms about it being altered, and demanded Paramount change it back for the movie (or, rather, demanded they not touch the jacket for the movie itself). He didn't give a sh*t about China and told Paramount this is an American movie made for American audiences.

And they actually listened.

THAT'S how much power that dude has…

It's hard to not like the guy despite the Scientology craziness.
'03ag
JB!98 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Something that also stuck out to me that many people probably caught is the use of "splitting the throttles" in the Tomcat. That was an old trick that Tomcat pilots (Hoser) used to get a lot of yaw movement out of the plane. The asymmetric thrust that the Tomcat could produce from the engines being so far apart could do some weird tricks. Somebody explained that to Cruise for him to use that line in the movie. As a Tomcat nerd, I found that very satisfying.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/no-kill-like-a-guns-kill-remembering-joe-hoser-satrapa-the-f-14-driver-who-scored-two-simulated-gun-kills-on-usaf-f-15s-for-two-times-in-the-same-mission/

Quote:

Many active pilots and RIOs well remember Hoser's delivery of manic harangues to fuzzy-cheeked newcomers from the RAG. In his patented Yosemite Sam voice he would whip the lads, and invariably himself, into a lethal frenzy: "Pull on the pole till the rivets pop and the RIO pukes! No kill like a guns kill! A Lima up the tailpipe is too good for any Gomer! Close with the miserable Commie [deleted] and put a few rounds of twenty-twenty-mike-mike through his canopy! If he hits the silk, gun his ass while he swings!" Hoser would then pace the corridor, bumping into hapless petty officers, muttering oaths, trying to re-align his internal INS.
Murder Hornet
AG
That's bad ass!! I hope more studios/stars tell the Chi-coms to kick rocks
aTmAg
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Instructors talk about the movie and their experiences:

I'd be curious what active duty pilots think about this. I haven't watched any of it besides the quick summary up front, but I've heard cases in real life where pilots get in deep crap for barely over speeding their airplane. Hard to believe a guy took his F-18 3.5 Gs over the limit unless it was during war and he was fighting to survive.
wangus12
AG
You could say that the pilot that does it was a.....Maverick
Win At Life
AG
jograki said:

maroon barchetta said:

Might have missed this if discussed, but is it possible that when Maverick showed up at the bar in dress white uniform and talked to Penny out on the beach, that he was proposing or otherwise expressing some sort of commitment to Penny?

He had recently been told that if he died there would be nobody to mourn him since he had no wife and no kids. Maybe he decided to do a grownup thing and have someone close to mourn him if the mission failed badly.
Yes, I think the significance of the dress whites was to show that he can be serious. Penny had mostly been guarded up till the house date scene due to the way he treated her in the past, and Maverick finally "got it" when Amelia told him to not break her heart.

Does Penny have any connection to the original movie? If so, what was it? TIA
'03ag
She is mentioned in the movie twice, but is never seen. She's referenced as an Admirals daughter that Maverick took up in a jet.
bthotugigem05
AG
Win At Life said:

jograki said:

maroon barchetta said:

Might have missed this if discussed, but is it possible that when Maverick showed up at the bar in dress white uniform and talked to Penny out on the beach, that he was proposing or otherwise expressing some sort of commitment to Penny?

He had recently been told that if he died there would be nobody to mourn him since he had no wife and no kids. Maybe he decided to do a grownup thing and have someone close to mourn him if the mission failed badly.
Yes, I think the significance of the dress whites was to show that he can be serious. Penny had mostly been guarded up till the house date scene due to the way he treated her in the past, and Maverick finally "got it" when Amelia told him to not break her heart.

Does Penny have any connection to the original movie? If so, what was it? TIA
Around the 30 second mark:
Bunk Moreland

20 seconds in
85aggie777
AG
aTmAg said:

I'd be curious what active duty pilots think about this. I haven't watched any of it besides the quick summary up front, but I've heard cases in real life where pilots get in deep crap for barely over speeding their airplane. Hard to believe a guy took his F-18 3.5 Gs over the limit unless it was during war and he was fighting to survive.
As someone who is married to a former Naval Aviator and served in a carrier training squadron myself, I can tell you for a fact that Maverick would have been at best separated, and at worst courtmartialed, long ago for the shenanigans he pulled with aircraft. But, you do have to suspend reality to make movies like this.

Even knowing all that, I absolutely LOVED this movie!
maroon barchetta
His buddy was an admiral. He could do what he wanted!
wangus12
AG
Yeah if your best living friend is the Commander of the Pacific Fleet, things are gonna slide by
85aggie777
AG
maroon barchetta said:

His buddy was an admiral. He could do what he wanted!
One of the fellow pilots in the squadron we served in during the 80s eventually became CINCPACFLT. He was in charge when the USS Fitzgerald had the collision with the merchant ship in 2017. He was asked to retire because of the incident. Again, real life versus movies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.