*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,913 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Collective said:

_lefraud_ said:

Man, Lightyear has to be one of the biggest bust/blunders for Disney (and any studio for that matter) all time.

Kind of nice to see the audience push back on a big franchise when the obvious question everyone has is "why".
I feel really justified for the several times I posted that I had no idea why the movie was made or what is was supposed to be about and people told me to shut up.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
wangus12
AG
Yep. Just a film didn't need to be made
Thunder18
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

Tora! Tora! Tora! is one of my all-time favorite movies!!

ETA which stunt?
I took American Seapower my senior year - a class in which 2 Corps guys got called out by the professor for cheating and told to leave his class immediately because they had been expelled - and we watched Tora, Tora, Tora one night at Harrington as a class.

About halfway through the audio went out while the Japanese officers were looking out the window of the ship and some guy yelled out in a terribly racist accent, "LOOK OUT, IT'S GODZILLA!'

We missed the next 5 minutes of the movie laughing our asses off.

History of American Seapower was one of my favorite courses at A&M. Really interesting class
The Porkchop Express
Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?
I took American Seapower my senior year - a class in which 2 Corps guys got called out by the professor for cheating and told to leave his class immediately because they had been expelled - and we watched Tora, Tora, Tora one night at Harrington as a class.

About halfway through the audio went out while the Japanese officers were looking out the window of the ship and some guy yelled out in a terribly racist accent, "LOOK OUT, IT'S GODZILLA!'

History of American Seapower was one of my favorite courses at A&M. Really interesting class
100% agree! I think I was one of like 5 non-Corps guys in there and I felt way over my head the first time the prof went into his description of guns and ships and strategies, but man was it fascinating. I even used an old textbook a couple of years ago to write scenes from a novel I did ghostwriting on to depict British warships around 1900.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Thunder18
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

100% agree! I think I was one of like 5 non-Corps guys in there and I felt way over my head the first time the prof went into his description of guns and ships and strategies, but man was it fascinating. I even used an old textbook a couple of years ago to write scenes from a novel I did ghostwriting on to depict British warships around 1900.

I took it with two other buddies and we were definitely the outliers, haha. I remember the prof really enjoyed ragging on the CTs that fell asleep during lecture. I'm pretty sure I kept a couple of those textbooks as well, might have to go dig them up
Teacher_Ag
AG
Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

I took it with two other buddies and we were definitely the outliers, haha. I remember the prof really enjoyed ragging on the CTs that fell asleep during lecture. I'm pretty sure I kept a couple of those textbooks as well, might have to go dig them up

I've still got Dr. Bradford's books in my private library. Guy was the GOAT. RiP
double aught
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

Well…did they defeat Godzilla or not??
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
double aught said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

Well…did they defeat Godzilla or not??
Clearly, no. That was the alternative history movie where Godzilla swam into a weird light tunnel in the sea and when he came out the other side, he was smack dab in the middle of the Jap fleet on 6-Dec-1941. Godzilla sank the entire fleet. World War II did not happen in the Pacific.
#FJB
Sea Speed
AG
The accent may have been stereotypical but it isn't slightly racist, let alone terribly racist.
Sea Speed
AG
Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

Same. It is crazy how many times Alfred Thayer Mahan has come up in my life since that class. The class was all blue book essays for tests and I got REALLY in to it. I legit think I wrote more for that class than any writing intensive class I had.
Claude!
Teacher_Ag said:

Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

I've still got Dr. Bradford's books in my private library. Guy was the GOAT. RiP
Did he give your class any BAFL (Bradford's Advice For Life)? He gave us a few, but I distinctly remember two:
1. Never date the estranged spouse of a Texas peace officer.
2. Never cook bacon in the nude.

Both of those have stood me in good stead over the years.
CAR96
AG
Saw Top Gun Maverick for the 3rd time this past weekend, 2nd time in IMAX, and it's still a rush.

The action scenes really are done well, the audio and visuals in IMAX are amazing.

This movie is so good and it reminds me of growing up and going to the movies as a kid in the 1980's.
JB!98
AG
Claude! said:

Teacher_Ag said:

Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Thunder18 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

MooreTrucker said:

ETA which stunt?

Did he give your class any BAFL (Bradford's Advice For Life)? He gave us a few, but I distinctly remember two:
1. Never date the estranged spouse of a Texas peace officer.
2. Never cook bacon in the nude.

Both of those have stood me in good stead over the years.
Yes sir!!! I thought that class was going to be a cakewalk because I thought i knew all there was to know. I was wrong. It was awesome. Bradford was probably my favorite prof at A&M. RIP.
GolfAg93
S
CAR96 said:

Saw Top Gun Maverick for the 3rd time this past weekend, 2nd time in IMAX, and it's still a rush.

The action scenes really are done well, the audio and visuals in IMAX are amazing.

This movie is so good and it reminds me of growing up and going to the movies as a kid in the 1980's.

Are you in the Houston area? Where'd you watch it in IMAX?
maroon barchetta
Gol***93 said:

CAR96 said:

Are you in the Houston area? Where'd you watch it in IMAX?

It's showing in Richmond at Star Cinema Grill on that Onyx screen through Thursday but only during the day. No weekend times on the schedule.
CAR96
AG
Regal Lone Star in Tomball one time slot on Sunday was IMAX.
YNWA_AG
AG

On digital august 23rd
SJEAg
AG
Wonder why they don't hold out a few more weeks before digital, it's still bringing in some BO. Not like we're coming up on holiday shopping season or anything.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Also, it's sounding like the home release *will* retain the IMAX ratio, but no confirmation on that yet.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Also, it's sounding like the home release *will* retain the IMAX ratio, but no confirmation on that yet.

Looks like we all need to add giant rooms onto our homes.
jonb02
AG
Who was the enemy nation in the movie?
maroon barchetta
jonb02 said:

Who was the enemy nation in the movie?

A rogue state is the only description.
bthotugigem05
AG
Strongly inferred that it's Iran or Russia but, similar to the original Top Gun, it's never explicitly said.
Sazerac
AG
Iran
maroon barchetta
Sazerac said:

Iran

They are the only country still using F-14's and that was the assumption but yeah, never mentioned.
The Porkchop Express
I choose to believe it is those damn dirty Russians, which I also thought was the case in the original.

From the snow and icy mountains, it appeared to be either the Mountains of Moria or Hoth.

Well, here's a picture of northern Iran in winter, so maybe.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
DallasTeleAg
maroon barchetta said:

Sazerac said:

Iran

They are the only country still using F-14's and that was the assumption but yeah, never mentioned.
This is the reason why I assume it is Iran. However, I don't think they have 5th generation fighters. Maybe whoever is helping them with the nuclear base was also providing air support with the fighters.
SJEAg
AG
I don't think we're attacking a Russian base like that and starting WW3. They already can make all the nukes they want so what would be the point. Iran is the only country that makes sense to me.
The Porkchop Express
SJEAg said:

I don't think we're attacking a Russian base like that and starting WW3. They already can make all the nukes they want so what would be the point. Iran is the only country that makes sense to me.
Hello, plot of Top Gun 3
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Squadron7
AG
Mordor.

So much for the Age of Men being over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sazerac said:

Iran

I ran so far away
maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sazerac said:

Iran

I ran so far away

Maverick did do some running in the snow.
MooreTrucker
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sazerac said:

Iran

I ran so far away

Tom Cruise ALWAYS runs.
Gigem314
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sazerac said:

Iran

I ran so far away

Still my favorite segments of the whole movie...behind enemy lines with Rooster.

Maverick: "What were you thinking???"
Rooster: "You told me NOT to think!!"

Rooster: "There's guys over there, Mav..."
Maverick: "I see them"
Rooster: "There's more over there..."
Maverick: "Yeah...we should start running..."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.