*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,931 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

'03ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

In real life he has someone that maintains his P-51.
I'm sure the vast majority is done by someone else.

I do think I heard recently that he has his mechanics certification. But that thing have a Merlin in it? That's kind of like having one of Jay Leno's ridiculous old cars. Probably only a handful of people that can work on that.
Can't speak with certainty as to how Cruise's 'stand is outfitted, but in terms of WWII, the P-51 only became the superior Allied fighter in Europe after they replaced its original Allison engine with the British Merlin. AFAIK, the P-51D, which Cruise's appears to be (I say appears because it could actually be a P-51K or a later Korean War F-51), was the first Mustang variant to get the Merlin. /warbird nerd

From an article I found

Quote:

This Mustang has a serial number of 44-12840 and was built in 1946. It was donated to the Civil Air Patrol unit and eventually ended up in a museum in Illinois. It was later completely restored by 1997 by Art Teeters and four years later was bought by Tom Cruise in 2001.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
LMCane said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

'03ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

In real life he has someone that maintains his P-51.
I'm sure the vast majority is done by someone else.

I do think I heard recently that he has his mechanics certification. But that thing have a Merlin in it? That's kind of like having one of Jay Leno's ridiculous old cars. Probably only a handful of people that can work on that.
Can't speak with certainty as to how Cruise's 'stand is outfitted, but in terms of WWII, the P-51 only became the superior Allied fighter in Europe after they replaced its original Allison engine with the British Merlin. AFAIK, the P-51D, which Cruise's appears to be (I say appears because it could actually be a P-51K or a later Korean War F-51), was the first Mustang variant to get the Merlin. /warbird nerd
the bigger question is:

why is there no nose art on Cruise's Mustang?!?

I built one of these a few years ago. 1/32 scale, does not fly, so not as cool as Cruise's. But I made sure to include nose art.

This was real nose art on a Mustang during the war.
#FJB
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
https://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/image_viewer/survivors/44-12840/26596773/5151/1

The link does not say which variant his Mustang is, but I do believe it is a P-51D since I believe the P-51K typically featured an antenna behind the canopy on the fuselage spine.
#FJB
jr15aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, ok, but these are the only relatively innocuous ones I feel comfortable sharing…

- In the original Top Gun, the "love theme" came down to Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" and The Cars' "Drive." Berlin obviously went on to be the iconic choice, but the original plan in Maverick was to then use "Drive" for this movie. In fact, that's why Penny Benjamin drives that incredible Porsche, then of course there's Mav driving her home on his motorcycle twice ("Who's gonna drive you home, tonight…"), etc. There was even a cut of the movie that used "Drive" throughout, that apparently worked really well, but then Cruise and Gaga ultimately connected and "Hold My Hand" was

Born in '78 and a HUGE fan of all things 80's, especially the music. But... I have no issue with them not introducing more 80s music into the franchise. I personally love Drive, but there was plenty of nostalgia already here and thought the soundtrack was as good as any for recent films.

I'm not much of a GaGa fan, but really liked her song now that I've seen the movie. I also thought the One Repuic song was good background for the beach scene.

Point being, I didn't think it needed any more 80s references.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just grabbed my ticket to see it again tomorrow at 4 pm. IMAX theater looks to be about 90% full.
aTmAg
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Real answer. Cruise wanted to actually fly an f35. Military said hell no.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but damn there were some plot holes.
Real answer: there are no 2 seater F-35s. So they couldn't film this movie in them.
Fairview
AG
Loved the subtle callback of Rooster telling Maverick to do some of that pilot s*** just like Goose said in the original. It happened fast but was super cool.
aTmAg
AG
BTW, those saying a Navy captain couldn't afford a P-51... the internet tells me that they make $120K-$210K per year. And remember he has no wife or kids. Money goes a long way without that. Also he could be a partial owner. There are plenty of explainations for that.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aTmAg said:

BTW, those saying a Navy captain couldn't afford a P-51... the internet tells me that they make $120K-$210K per year. And remember he has no wife or kids. Money goes a long way without that. Also he could be a partial owner. There are plenty of explainations for that.
Found one on that same internet listed for USD $2,395,000.

Yes, you can say that a guy with no wife and kids could potentially make such a purchase. We don't actually see how he lives his daily life, but I'm reasonably certain he has some level of living expenses to account for. Too unlikely in the real world.

Now as a partial owner, which admittedly I didn't consider, that's not nearly as far-fetched.
#FJB
AgTrip
He couldn't even pay his bar tab. Card was declined! Must have been overdrawn on airplane parts or something!
Ambres
AG
He was a test pilot O6 w/ no family and no kids. I am sure he had a friend of friend help him restore and rebuild over a number of years. It is not unrealistic, unlikely.. but possible.

My buddy (retired O5) w/ no family restore a P-47 (3.5 years) that he flies now for Air Shows and a Shelby F-150 as his toys.

The real question.. how the heck was Maverick not force retired. No way an O6 would still be in service. How does he bring his own personal mechanic to each assignment.
Jim01
AG
Yes! Loved it.

It is up there with A Force Awakens and End Game as the best movie theatre experience in the last decade or so. Just a perfect summer movie ride.

Even with all the great reviews I went in a little guarded, but when that unmistakable bell rung for the first time I got chills and the opening carrier scenes and music made me feel like I was a kid again.

Jennifer Connolly and a Porsche is a hell of a way to ride off into the sunset.
CoachRTM
AG
Here's a little insider tidbit : (that I'm not even 100% sure on)

My wife's family is friends with a guy who went through Top Gun. He was a pilot, apparently won his class and was kind of a nerdy guy.

His call sign was "T-BOB" and he was from Lemoore, CA.

I have no idea if they based BOB after him in the movie, but the fact that they made it a point to say that Bob was from Lemoore makes us think they used legit Top Gun pilots as inspiration for the characters.
aTmAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

Found one on that same internet listed for USD $2,395,000.

Yes, you can say that a guy with no wife and kids could potentially make such a purchase. We don't actually see how he lives his daily life, but I'm reasonably certain he has some level of living expenses to account for. Too unlikely in the real world.

Now as a partial owner, which admittedly I didn't consider, that's not nearly as far-fetched.
Don't forget investing in Microsoft or something.
aTmAg
AG
Ambres said:

He was a test pilot O6 w/ no family and no kids. I am sure he had a friend of friend help him restore and rebuild over a number of years. It is not unrealistic, unlikely.. but possible.

My buddy (retired O5) w/ no family restore a P-47 (3.5 years) that he flies now for Air Shows and a Shelby F-150 as his toys.

The real question.. how the heck was Maverick not force retired. No way an O6 would still be in service. How does he bring his own personal mechanic to each assignment.
Chuck Yeager was allowed to fly WAY past the proper age. Maybe Maverick almost as legendary in that world as Yeager.

A better question is how do flares foil radar guided missiles?
Philo B 93
More questionable than a Navy captain owning a $2 million plane is how one of the nations top fighter pilots used "as I live and breathe" as his tagline. Used it twice during the movie, in fact.
BayAg_14
As an aviation geek this film shoots into my top 10. Just incredible shots that they got. Give this video a watch and it will give you an even greater appreciation.

AlaskanAg99
AG
They said repeatedly that ICEMAN was the reason Maverick was able to stay in the Navy.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
In 1964 my dad and I went to the Winkler Drive-In in Houston to see 633 Squadron. The mission in Top Gun Maverick is virtually the same. It's a cool movie and the De Havilland Mosquito was an awesome aircraft!
MROD92
Watched it yesterday, fantastic. Saw the original when I was 16. I'd say the sequel is to Top Gun what Cobra Kai is to Karate Kid
aTmAg
AG
As a guy who was prepared to call BS on a lot of stuff, I was a big fan of the hyper sonic scenes early on. They must have had real engineers help on that mock up. Or their visual effects guys really did their homework on how to make it look real. Even down to the stickers and labels we put on stuff nowadays.

I wish when Tom Cruise walked into the diner and asked where he was, and the kid said "Earth", that Tom would have followed up with "what state?". Because the real SR-71 (which would have been ~3X times slower) would occasionally make late turns and miss entire west cost states.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like we all got the joke he was in another state.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The joke was clearly the "Earth" part. I bet most people would assume he stayed in the same state the whole time. (Both California and Nevada are big).
Kenneth_2003
AG
aTmAg said:

As a guy who was prepared to call BS on a lot of stuff, I was a big fan of the hyper sonic scenes early on. They must have had real engineers help on that mock up. Or their visual effects guys really did their homework on how to make it look real. Even down to the stickers and labels we put on stuff nowadays.

I wish when Tom Cruise walked into the diner and asked where he was, and the kid said "Earth", that Tom would have followed up with "what state?". Because the real SR-71 (which would have been ~3X times slower) would occasionally make late turns and miss entire west cost states.
This says LH Skunk works was heavily involved
aTmAg
AG
That explains things.
Dro07
AG
Loved the movie. I maybe the only one but sad that no one lost their loving feeling.
htxag09
AG
aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The joke was clearly the "Earth" part. I bet most people would assume he stayed in the same state the whole time. (Both California and Nevada are big).

Pretty sure the map in the control room showed him going across multiple states. The joke was the earth reply, but I think everyone knew he meant what state when he asked.
aTmAg
AG
I didn't catch the map when I watched.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

So I have 2 boys, 8 & 4. I honestly was very pleased with how appropriate the movie was in terms of not trying to be too edgy and risqu.

I got home and my wife asked if it was ok for the boys to go to, and honestly the only curse word I remember was the lone f bomb, so I am very thankful to be able to take my boys to a movie, allow them to enjoy it and not have to worry about providing life lessons afterwards.

Probably one of the things I like the most about the movie. There was nothing being pushed other than here's a bad ass movie, we hope you enjoy.

Please pass on the gratitude of a dad who gets to share this with his sons, just as I shared it with my father.

Took the boys today. 10 am showing. Only regret was we didn't do IMAX, as the sound and screen did not compare to my solo showing.

Boys loved it, and I choked up just as much as the first night.

So in total, I have seen it twice but purchased 5 tickets so far. Still want to take the wife. Just need to find a babysitter.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
maroon barchetta
Just got back awhile ago. Loved it. Great show!
htxag09
AG
Honestly think we could have a thread on the callbacks. So many throughout the show, but I think they were all well done. A couple I don't think I've seen mentioned are that I'm pretty sure penny lived in the same house from the original. If not the same house, really similar. On a corner, across from the water, with an archway leading to the yard.

Also, when mav goes to visit ice man and meets his wife downstairs and the kids are playing in the yard.
bagger05
AG
One of my favorites was

"Im a fighter pilot…….

A naval aviator."
aTmAg
AG
htxag09 said:

Honestly think we could have a thread on the callbacks. So many throughout the show, but I think they were all well done. A couple I don't think I've seen mentioned are that I'm pretty sure penny lived in the same house from the original. If not the same house, really similar. On a corner, across from the water, with an archway leading to the yard.

Also, when mav goes to visit ice man and meets his wife downstairs and the kids are playing in the yard.
How are the kids in the yard a callback?
htxag09
AG
It really reminded me of the scene when maverick went to visit viper and he told him the story of his dad. Maverick met vipers wife, when he was inside waiting on viper the kids were in the yard playing.
RC_57
AG
htxag09 said:

It really reminded me of the scene when maverick went to visit viper and he told him the story of his dad. Maverick met vipers wife, when he was inside waiting on viper the kids were in the yard playing.
Thanks htxag.

I was wondering the same thing as aTmAg

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.