*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,899 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He is without doubt my favorite Hollywood whacko. Love that guy
double aught
AG
Just fyi, this movie, as of today, is streaming on Paramount+. I don't know if y'all have seen it, but it's not bad. Worth a watch.
Smeghead4761
I may be way late to this party, but I just watched The Right Stuff the other day, and I realized that when Maverick cracks up his spy plane going over Mach 10, then walks out of the desert, it's got to be a homage to the sequence where Chuck Yeager crashes the F-104 trying for the altitude record, bails out, and then walks out of the desert.
TCTTS
AG

FancyKetchup14
AG
It won't win, but I'm so glad this got nominated for BP.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
No cinematography nod? Man, some of those in-cockpit shots were incredible.
Decay
AG
Adapted? From what?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The term Top Gun was not originally used for the school. That was penned in an article back in the 50s? The original movie paid the author the license to it. Oddly, there is some debate over when filming officially finished as the author says they went a bit over the time for this movie for the license and has filed a law**** over it. Not sure how dubious of a lawsuit it it, but yeah. I'm assuming they are saying the original and sequel were adapted from that article. Or that any movie is an adaptation from a script. Not sure.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Decay said:

Adapted? From what?
Star Wars, written by George Lucas, 1977
Decay
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

The term Top Gun was not originally used for the school. That was penned in an article back in the 50s? The original movie paid the author the license to it. Oddly, there is some debate over when filming officially finished as the author says they went a bit over the time for this movie for the license and has filed a law**** over it. Not sure how dubious of a lawsuit it it, but yeah. I'm assuming they are saying the original and sequel were adapted from that article. Or that any movie is an adaptation from a script. Not sure.

Gotcha. Regardless, that's a pretty lax interpretation of an "adaptation". But you'll reach for whatever you can during awards season I guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

No cinematography nod? Man, some of those in-cockpit shots were incredible.
This and Avatar both deserved cinematography for the technology alone that was developed for the flying and underwater scenes, respectively.
TCTTS
AG
Decay said:

Adapted? From what?

*Any* sequel is considered "adapted" because it stems from past works/previously established material, i.e. the first movie in the franchise. In other words, Top Gun: Maverick's "source material" is Top Gun. It's a stupid rule, but for whatever reason that's the way the Academy does it. Notice Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is in Adapted Screenplay as well, which makes even less sense, considering only one character overlaps, and the events of the first film aren't even mentioned.
TCTTS
AG

DallasTeleAg
No cinematography is an absolute joke.

Those were some of the most impressive shots I have ever seen in a movie. It should have been nominated and won for this small clip, alone:

Squirrel Master
AG
Can't believe I hadn't seen this earlier, but I finally watched, albeit on a flight. Absolutely loved this. Reasons have been discussed ad nauseum.

Question - Any chance this sees a theatre re-release with Oscar buzz or does being on Paramount+ already kill that idea?
TCTTS
AG
Best analysis I've read of the movie yet. This is so good...

schmendeler
AG

Thought you Top Gun-aholics would like this.
The Porkchop Express
schmendeler said:

Thought you Top Gun-aholics would like this.
What the hell does this dummy in the background got on his head?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
I've never seen one of these parody skits so perfectly match the original. This has to be the exact same location/cinematographer, never mind the Hamm/Parnell inclusion...

double aught
AG
Watched this for the second time today in preparation for the Oscars. My wife joined and really enjoyed it. Kids were at school so I was able to turn it up LOUD. Great time.

Also, I've really enjoyed the articles on this thread that analyze the script and how well the movie's made. It really is so well done. Ok, off to do my 200 pushups now.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Noticed it was up on Prime Video today.

Promptly forgot what I was doing.
Urban Ag
AG
Finally saw Maverick last night. My wife was scrolling thru Paramount and ran across it and there we were (she had already seen it with our sons last summer).

Man, I don't even know what to say other than this country needed this movie. I got uncharacteristically emotional about it. This is literally the best thing I have seen since Jo Jo Rabbit. I get it, that sounds pretty corny, but I can't believe the effect it had on me. Like an intersection of nostalgia, Gen X, and the greatest aerial filming in history.

I actually thought it was less ham fisted than the original. There are a few "technical" issues with the film but honestly, who f'ing cares. This movie was pure joy for me.

Say what you will about Cruise but my god he's still got it together. Kilmer's scene was legit touching. The kid that plays Rooster, can't recall his name, was great. Connelly looked amazing. That woman is fine wine.

I'm still blown away.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Your wife took your sons? Were you at home making sandwiches for them when they got home?
Urban Ag
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Your wife took your sons? Were you at home making sandwiches for them when they got home?
Nah. I mean yeah, I probably did make a sandwich at some point because, you know, I gotta eat. No they were at a basketball summer tournament in College Station and saw it for something to do between games, I couldn't make it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Thought I had posted in this thread back in Dec when I first saw the movie but just chiming in to say I loved the movie and thought it was more enjoyable than the original.
lazuras_dc
AG
Rewatching this movie finally and it's as awesome as the first time.

Maybe I'm dumb, but The only question I have is that for the mission, warlock states once the tomahawk middles hit the airfield the other planes in the air will know there's something going on and scramble to the bunker. So, Why fire the tomahawks so early ? Other than the cool scene with the missiles flying by, if they had waited until cruise was halfway down the canyon or closer to the bunker , it would have bought them precious minutes.

Edit: after watching further- it seems like the jets scrambling would've been a non issue had everything gone to plan.
jr15aggie
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Rewatching this movie finally

I've probably rewatched it 4 or 5 times already and can't wait to watch it again. Just a fantastic movie!
Urban Ag
AG
jr15aggie said:

lazuras_dc said:

Rewatching this movie finally

I've probably rewatched it 4 or 5 times already and can't wait to watch it again. Just a fantastic movie!
I don't know, that was your dad's department

that line, as a dad of boys, absolutely cratered me

so good

TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

just wave and smile, wave and smile

but you are here

yeah, I don't give a F, this is right up there in the best I have ever seen. I god damned loved it.

Man, again, I know it's corny, but this film just cratered me across the board.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think it vaulted into my top 5 movies all time last year on initial "blown away" factor.

Even a year or so removed, having seen it twice in theaters and wishing I saw it more in theaters, it is for certain a Top 10 movie for me all time, if not Top 5.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This might be one of the highest ranked movies on the "impossible to dislike" list, along with Back to the Future. Just a perfectly constructed, entertaining as hell movie that people from every age and generation will enjoy.
Scriffer
AG
I'm shocked at how few times some of y'all have seen this.

I'm at a bakers dozen at least
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This might be one of the highest ranked movies on the "impossible to dislike" list, along with Back to the Future. Just a perfectly constructed, entertaining as hell movie that people from every age and generation will enjoy.
My parents, 78 at the time, saw it in the theatre last summer. In a long running text with my mom and dad, my mom tells me she is starting to get really disappointed in me that I had not taken the time to see it yet. LOL.

Truthfully, I was very sick last summer and ended up hospitalized for a week. I was very distracted for obvious reasons.

But to your point, from kids to the elderly, basically everyone I have talked to loves this film and I am pretty sure those that don't have no souls, are gingers, or bots.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

But to your point, from kids to the elderly, basically everyone I have talked to loves this film and I am pretty sure those that don't have no souls, are gingers, or bots.
Redundant

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.