*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,883 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Claude!
Not quite my tempo.
Macarthur
Finally got to see it last night. I haven't read this whole thread so I apologize if some stuff has been hashed out.

A few minor complaints like the bar scene was a bit over the top and Rooster didn't have to do the same song, right? I mean, we get it. It's Goose's son and he looks just like him. The subtlety there was like a 2x4 across the noggin. And the trash talking amongst the young topgun's was a bit too much. The original was campy and cheesy but in a fun way. This seemed a bit much, IMO.

But those were minor.

The flying scenes were breathtakingly amazing! Just fantastic. It was a hugely entertaining movie. Loved the scene w Iceman. Val Kilmer is a national treasure.

As weird as Cruise is, he makes some great action flicks and this was fun as hell.
TexasAggie_02
AG
bar scene was cheesy, but Rooster's dad sang that song all the time, and he was following in his dad's footsteps, so it would make sense that he'd sing it. it is also used to catch Mav's attention.
Stive
AG
Him playing Great Balls of Fire was perfect. In the original it was just a fun down time in a bar having lunch. In this it shows the weight that Maverick is carrying and the gut punch that those memories revive.

Bunk Moreland
I said it many pages ago and I know I'm in the minority but completely agree regarding GBoF. Pure cheese.
Macarthur
Stive said:

Him playing Great Balls of Fire was perfect. In the original it was just a fun down time in a bar having lunch. In this it shows the weight that Maverick is carrying and the gut punch that those memories revive.

Yeah, I still think you can show that weight without that screaming lack of subtlety. Tom is a good enough actor to pull that off w good writing.
Apache
AG
I was a little turned off by the same song as well, but agree it was minor. I think "whole lotta shakin goin on" would have been perfect…. still a Jerry Lee Lewis cover but not a repeat of the first movie. Would have given Rooster his own song but close enough for it to still impact Maverick in the same manner.
aTmAg
AG
I assumed, that in their world, GBoF was some sort of Navy camp song. That in every Navy bar across the nation, that song is being played in one form or another. Sorta like several songs I heard every weekend at A&M (and only once a year after I left). The reason it was extra special to Maverick was because Goose also played it on the piano.
TexasAggie_02
AG
aTmAg said:

I assumed, that in their world, GBoF was some sort of Navy camp song. That in every Navy bar across the nation, that song is being played in one form or another. Sorta like several songs I heard every weekend at A&M (and only once a year after I left). The reason it was extra special to Maverick was because Goose also played it on the piano.

It's like their "road goes on forever "
country
AG
I'm going to push back a little on the Great Balls of Fire complaints. My dad can't carry a tune at all. He has a college friend who is one hell of a guitar player and decent singer. I grew up on the living room floor at various gatherings listening to those two play and sing. We laughed at some of the songs and we cried at some of the songs. I remember all I of them.

My dad had a thing for singing El Rancho Grande. They played that every single time they were together. I started picking on a guitar in college and low and behold El Rancho Grande is the song I play the most in a crowd. I totally get the Great Balls of afire scene because of my own experiences. And tying Maverick's recollections and pain into the scene was perfect IMO.
Macarthur
aTmAg said:

That's certainly possible.
dreyOO
Saw it again yesterday with the kids. Best part was my 9 year old son (with zero prompting from me on it) leaning over and saying "now I know why everyone is saying this is the best movie ever". Hahaha, had to have come from his friends. But the fact that he loved it.
DallasTeleAg
Took parents to see it for the first time, and my second time. Still absolutely awesome. So many of those scenes had me still sweating, even though I knew what was going to happen.

Such a great movie that will go down as one of the best action movies of all time, imo.

Also, our theater was at least 80% full in this 4th or so week of release... that's insane.
Squadron7
AG
Went online to get tix for a 2:15 showing today before it leaves the big screen. Could not find two seats together.

Ten seats available total.

Still has legs.

This is from BoxOfficeMojo:

double aught
AG
There's a lot of people out there asking fathers what they want to do today.

So the drop off is coming. Doesn't make it any less impressive though.
Squadron7
AG
double aught said:

There's a lot of people out there asking fathers what they want to do today.

So the drop off is coming. Doesn't make it any less impressive though.

True...but Friday and Saturday are stout for this far into the run.
Ferg
Will it still be in the theaters for 4th of July weekend? Seems like that would give it another boost.
schmendeler
AG
I predict theaters will be empty tonight if fathers get what they are asking for.
maroon barchetta
I tried to vote it down for being stupid but that's not one of the choices.
Johnny Park!
Saw it for F-day, now for the 2nd time. This movie is one of the all time greats.
We should never cede the moral high ground to people who justify the debasement of society as reparative justice and then lie to us about how, why and even whether it’s
being destroyed from within.
Sea Speed
AG
My brain can usually follow whatever logic people try to use no matter how ridiculous their opinions are but thst one was beyond me completely.
TCTTS
AG
javajaws
AG
TCTTS said:

That should be enough for Cruise to keep his hair dyed at least another 20 years!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
TCTTS
AG
Cruise turns 60 next month. Assuming he doesn't kill himself making M:I8, he could very well have another 20-40 years of life left. Which sounds like it might just be enough time for this tech to be perfected and publicly available to humanity. I sure as sh*t will be jumping on this train, and if Cruise can too, we could have a young Cruise back and making action movies for as long as he wants to live (or until he kills himself making M:I22)…

Scriffer
AG
If anyone needs that, it's him. I want that crackpot making movies forever
Bunk Moreland
Top Gun does $44M on weekend 4.

Jurassic whatever is at $58M on weekend 2.

They could be around the same number next weekend. Would be quite the impressive showing if so.
TCTTS
AG
Second best fourth weekend in history.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Third per Box Office Mojo, behind American Sniper and Avatar.

But, Sniper had a weird rollout so it shouldn't really count.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Avatar's fifth weekend is probably the most impressive drop for any movie, from $50M to $42M. Puts that movie in perspective.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Avatar's fifth weekend is probably the most impressive drop for any movie, from $50M to $42M. Puts that movie in perspective.

The only perspective I have of avatar is it made the most money of any movie I don't really know that many people who actually saw it. I'm still trying to figure out who that audience was.
maroon barchetta
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The only perspective I have of avatar is it made the most money of any movie I don't really know that many people who actually saw it. I'm still trying to figure out who that audience was.

I went to see it in 3D. The story was Dances With Wolves in a moon far far away.

The 3D for that movie and the CGI (especially for that time period) we're incredible.

I'm not a big "have to see it in 3D" movie patron, but that movie was far and away the best 3D viewing experience I've had the theater.

I'll see the crappy storied sequel Cameron rolls out just for the viewing experience.
rynning
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The biggest movies have repeat viewers. Top Gun is a perfect example. Titanic had the same teenage girls going every weekend. Not sure who would go see Avatar then want to go see it again. Not that it was bad, but what was the must-repeat experience?
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was probably people that enjoyed seeing something on the screen that no one had ever seen before.
Bunk Moreland
Yall make good points. I made that post as someone completely ignorant to it. I saw avatar (not on the big screen) and thought it was awful. Had I seen it on the screen or on 3D when that was all the rage I probably would have been impressed from that standpoint.

That said, it's the only movie that is so massive that I can't understand how it made the money it did because so many people I know never saw it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.