*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,425 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fun movie and better than I expected, but it's still the sequel to one of the most iconic action movies of all-time. Anyone saying it's as good as Top Gun needs their head examined. And Glen Powell tried way too hard to be Iceman. Just not a fan of his in general, though. Great flick otherwise!
TexAgs91
AG
LMCane said:

TexAgs91 said:

For those talking about the CGI in this movie, this is from imdb

Quote:

At the insistence of Tom Cruise, there are no green screen or CGI aerial shots in the film, and even the close up cockpit shots are taken during real in-flight sequences. This meant that much of the cast had to undergo extensive G-force training sessions, to withstand the physical demands of the G-force pressures during flights.

that's not accurate. there are a bunch of Navy and USAF pilots analyzing the trailers of TGII and they discuss all the shots that were illegal to conduct under military training (the barrel rolls within 500 feet, Cruise splitting the formation from below, S scissors turns within 50 feet)

so there was CGI.
The SAM batteries were also CGI

what Cruise is specifically discussing is the shots of the pilots faces are really in the cockpit- unlike in TGI where they were on green screen

I don't k ow about the barrel rolls but splitting the formation could easily be done by composting arial footage together.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
bthotugigem05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Loved seeing Iceman, but that was one of the three biggest emotional scenes in the movie. I know Val Kilmer has been sick, but was that acting or was that really what he is suffering from?

Yes. He's lost the ability to speak now.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Saw it on IMAX last night at Regal-Benders Landing.

Only bummer, and it was no ones fault. Someone in the theater had a medical emergency just as Tom Cruise was delivering his opening monologue/dedication. Danger zone comes on, and the house lights came up. They finally got someone in the projection room to pause the movie, but it killed the opening 1st time I get to see it sequence.

Movie was paused for a solid 30 minutes while they waited on medics and cared for the fella.

I was shocked the show wasn't sold out, even on the IMAX, but again it was on at least 3 other screens in that same theater. WOW... Just overall WOW. Also surprised, there weren't really any younger kids. It was 100% 35 and up in our theater.
aggiechick
And of course when Penny came into the bar, a David Bowie song played. That made me smile. A nod to us old people and Labyrinth fans.
watty
AG
That movie was freaking amazing! Yes, there were some obvious impossibilities, but who cares? Not me! I loved every second of it. I only saw one person leave the theater for a bathroom break during the entire 2 hours. It was edge of your seat fun, excitement, and heart for the entire time.

Tom Cruise is the Michael Jordan of action movies.
12th Man Ag
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Saw it on IMAX last night at Regal-Benders Landing.

Only bummer, and it was no ones fault. Someone in the theater had a medical emergency just as Tom Cruise was delivering his opening monologue/dedication. Danger zone comes on, and the house lights came up. They finally got someone in the projection room to pause the movie, but it killed the opening 1st time I get to see it sequence.

Movie was paused for a solid 30 minutes while they waited on medics and cared for the fella.

I was shocked the show wasn't sold out, even on the IMAX, but again it was on at least 3 other screens in that same theater. WOW... Just overall WOW. Also surprised, there weren't really any younger kids. It was 100% 35 and up in our theater.
I didn't think Bender's Landing had an IMAX?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Or whatever their RPX screen is. Guess that's not technically an IMAX?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Fun movie and better than I expected, but it's still the sequel to one of the most iconic action movies of all-time. Anyone saying it's as good as Top Gun needs their head examined. And Glen Powell tried way too hard to be Iceman. Just not a fan of his in general, though. Great flick otherwise!

It's not as good. It's better.
LMCane
when Mav shows up at the diner and asks where he is

what does the kid say?
Keegan99
AG
Earth
LMCane
12th Man Ag said:

Meg Ryan also mentions the encounter with Penny when they are all together in the restaurant, but not by name. Just recalls Pete, "going ballistic with the Admiral's daughter".
they were a bit unclear on these timelines- pretty sure Penny states that her and Mav were together three years before when he shows up at the bar - but wasn't he an instructor at North Island much earlier than that?

the only real flub was Cruises' dress white uniform was much too big around the neck. so that was weird that no one from costuming just tailored it to fit his 60 year old body rather than his 24 year old body.
Kenneth_2003
AG
LMCane said:

12th Man Ag said:

Meg Ryan also mentions the encounter with Penny when they are all together in the restaurant, but not by name. Just recalls Pete, "going ballistic with the Admiral's daughter".
they were a bit unclear on these timelines- pretty sure Penny states that her and Mav were together three years before when he shows up at the bar - but wasn't he an instructor at North Island much earlier than that?

the only real flub was Cruises' dress white uniform was much too big around the neck. so that was weird that no one from costuming just tailored it to fit his 60 year old body rather than his 24 year old body.
I got the impression they were a repeated on-again off-again thing whenever he was around.
Bunk Moreland
Definitely that. Seemed very clear to me
Hwy30East
Bunk Moreland said:

Definitely that. Seemed very clear to me

Yes, because even the daughter knew him by name, and tell him not to break her moms heart again.
jackie childs
did anybody else see similarities between Maverick fighting for manned-aircrafts in the beginning and Tom Cruise fighting for theatrical releases? I'm not sure I would have without the pre-movie PSA from Tom, but that whole conversation with Ed Harris' character could have just as easily been with a producer pushing for streaming releases.

or maybe i'm over-thinking a summer popcorn movie

Keegan99
AG
What was the pre-movie PSA? My showing didn't have that.
jackie childs
Keegan99 said:

it was just a 60-90 second spot where tom spoke about how hard they worked on this movie for the fans and how glad he was to be presenting it to fans in theaters, the way it was intended....or something like that
12th Man Ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

Are you talking about the Air Force, "we own the sky" commercial? We got a teaser for it in our movie, but they didn't show the entire commercial.
12th Man Ag
AG
jackie childs said:

Keegan99 said:

it was just a 60-90 second spot where tom spoke about how hard they worked on this movie for the fans and how glad he was to be presenting it to fans in theaters, the way it was intended....or something like that

Oh. We didn't get that either.
jackie childs
12th Man Ag said:

jackie childs said:

Keegan99 said:

interesting...we saw it at a star cinema grill. did anybody else see it?

i'm trying to find it online, but no luck so far
Ferg
jackie childs said:

12th Man Ag said:

jackie childs said:

Keegan99 said:

interesting...we saw it at a star cinema grill. did anybody else see it?

i'm trying to find it online, but no luck so far
Saw it at Cinemark.
Keegan99
AG
Saw it at AMC. We got... no exaggeration... about 10 trailers for other films. But no PSA.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Same here. AMC. Seemed like 30 minutes of previews. Only remember Avatar 2 (Zzzzz) and new Jurassic park. Others weren't memorable.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
hoosierAG
AG
We got the PSA as well here in NC. Just a heartfelt message from Tom like what was mentioned above. Years in the making, the actual flying and hoped all enjoyed as it was done for the fans/audience.
'03ag
Those that saw the Tom PSA . . . Were you at one of the Tuesday night special screenings? There's where I saw it. There was only one trailer .... for the new Mission Impossible
jograki
AG
My Thurs night SMG showing had the Tom message, but my AMC IMAX on Friday didn't. And no Air Force commercial for either.
bonfarr
AG
Just took my son to see it this afternoon. It was a fun time but like all long awaited sequels a bit of a letdown.

The Death Star attack plot was absurd and the cast of pilots never really gelled like they did in the first film, mostly forgettable.

When this movie was at its best was Teller and Cruise in the air dogfighting in the Tomcat. That's when it got fun and the audience cheered.
MooreTrucker
AG
We saw it at Alamo Drafthouse Thursday and did get the Tom message.
jackie childs
'03ag said:

Those that saw the Tom PSA . . . Were you at one of the Tuesday night special screenings? There's where I saw it. There was only one trailer .... for the new Mission Impossible
mine was not a special screening...just a friday night show.

think we had the following trailers...the new MI, thor 4, avatar 2, nope, lightyear
Enviroag02
AG
Just saw it at a Schulman Theater in Terrell. It's an ST Immersive theater with DTSX sound but I felt like it was missing something. Think I'm gonna have to see it in IMAX. Loved the movie though! Ours had the Tom PSA.
Kenneth_2003
AG
'03ag said:

It was played last night at Regal on Benders Landing.... Following roughly 30+ minutes of trailers
tk for tu juan
I missed Mav and Penny kissing at the end because I was staring at the Porsche, that thing was beautiful.

tk for tu juan
The movie was awesome. There were two moments that briefly took me out of the film. First moment, the worst possible day of almost losing an aviator to g-lock, almost losing an aviator to a bird strike, and finding out Iceman passed away. Little too much drama in a sequence. Second moment, Mav running thru the woods, had to hold back laughter at Cruise's running style. Like he was turtling heading for a toilet.

Phoenix was absolutely beautiful, the sailing scene was awesome, and living in a hangar that contains a P-51 would be an awesome retirement

BTW, hardly noticed during the movie they had a nameless, faceless enemy. It didn't matter in the storytelling/action
PatAg
AG
His hangars reminded me of what Dirk Pitts was described like

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.