*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,421 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".

Did you end up seeing the actual movie?
bthotugigem05
AG
Full house in the IMax theater tonight
Sports-Ag
AG
Saw it again for the second time earlier today. I wanted to see it in IMAX but not enough screenings. I saw it in AVX. Still got excited watching it and sister loved it. It was her first time seeing it.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Did you end up seeing the actual movie?
Yeah I went out there and told them while the rest of the theater sat there eating their food.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
jokershady
AG
FINALLY ABOUT TO WATCH THIS!!!!!! BEEN AVOIDING THIS THREAD SINCE THE BEGINNING AND HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SEE THIS SINCE I CANCELLED TICKETS OPENING WEEKEND CAUSE OF CATCHING THE RONA.

AT THE ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE IN LACENTERRA!!!

MY NEED FOR SPEED WILL FINALLY BE FULFILLED IN THE NEXT 30 MINUTES!!!!

SEE YALL LATER!!!! ZOMGOMGOMG
The Collective
AG
Waiting for your reaction
BenTheGoodAg
AG
D'aww. I was expecting a thread in 15 years "watching all 5 films in the Top Gun Universe for the first time"
gigemags-99
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

D'aww. I was expecting a thread in 15 years "watching all 5 films in the Top Gun Universe for the first time"

Maverick is transported to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Trains rebels in the art of x- wing dog fighting skills. Should be canon.
The Porkchop Express
gigemags-99 said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Maverick is transported to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Trains rebels in the art of x- wing dog fighting skills. Should be canon.

I mean, that mission was the death star trench, right?
maroon barchetta
Just got back from 2nd viewing. Took my 80 year-old veteran neighbor. He loved it and I loved it even more the 2nd time!
schmendeler
AG
I laughed out loud in the theater when they said they had to send the bomb down a ventilation shaft. No one else did.
maroon barchetta
schmendeler said:

I laughed out loud in the theater when they said they had to send the bomb down a ventilation shaft. No one else did.

I laughed that it was three meters wide although I think the exhaust port was two meters.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

I laughed that I was three meters wide although I think the exhaust port was two meters.
"It's not impossible, I used to bullseye Mig-28 Bobcats in my F-14 back home. They're not much bigger than 3 meters"
Gigem314
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

I laughed that I was three meters wide although I think the exhaust port was two meters.
"It's not impossible, I used to bullseye Mig-28 Bobcats in my F-14 back home. They're not much bigger than 3 meters"
Don't think, Rooster. Trust your feelings…
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Perfect
jokershady
AG
That. Was. Amazing!

Sweet Sweet Nostalgia
Open credits the exact same as the original. Original theme. And then…HELL YEAH!

Story
Friekin awesome! This actually had a good bit of weight and meaning behind it unlike the first movie. Rooster was a perfect embodiment of Goose and they couldn't have picked a better Val Kilmer lookalike to play Hangman. Speaking of which…

Kilmer / Cruise Scene
So it had gotten spoiled to me prior (from someone blabbering I was avoiding this film on the Internet) that Iceman dies in this film, which normally would be a big reveal and ruin certain moments…but I think this made their scene even better for me, cause I straight up man-cried here…no blubbering or boohoo stuff just stone cold tears down the face cause I knew this would be the last time these two characters would speak.

And not only was this a great moment between Iceman and Maverick…it was great moment between Cruise and Kilmer for them to share with us on screen…just like this whole movie they gave us EXACTLY what fans of this wanted to see and did it perfectly (this is where the Mouse and Star Wars should be taking notes). Speaking of which….

Trench Run 3.0
These pilots would've run circles around the Death Star! Can you imagine if the Death Star trench was all zig z****, instant death if you went above it, and you had to pull off this shot twice???

I don't care if their uranium port was 3 meters wide…I know I'm not the only person who's thoughts went here (hell I read the posts above right when we got out of the theatre) and it was amazing how threatening the enemy was in this.

Overall
Man I wish we coulda seen this in an imax theatre but just gives us a reason to go back and watch again. This was awesome. Was everything I hoped it would be and more!

And something I've never seen which was a great way to start the film, was Tom Cruise's message to the fans at the beginning. Loved that!!
Bunk Moreland
Yep. You said it all. Virtually same experience as you walking out the first time I saw it. I still get in the feels about the way you Val/Tom scene. Just so good to see them acting together again.
The Porkchop Express
schmendeler said:

I laughed out loud when there was a fully fueled F14 sitting in the hangar at the enemy airfield. Most conveniently located plane since Wonder Woman 1984.
jokershady
AG
Yeah that was goofy….but I didn't care

Edit: actually they missed a golden opportunity to have it not be fully fueled and have Rooster say, "Come on Mav were getting low on fuel let's land this sucker." But that wouldn't have fit with the climax
gigemags-99
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

gigemags-99 said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

I mean, that mission was the death star trench, right?

Exactly my point
ArmyAg2002
AG
That's not that crazy. We refuel all of aircraft after every flight and when we were overseas we kept them armed. Maverick knowing how to work that model of AGPU, not sucking something into an engine and getting into the enemy base at all was more unrealistic.
YNWA_AG
AG
The Porkchop Express
ArmyAg2002 said:

That's not that crazy. We refuel all of aircraft after every flight and when we were overseas we kept them armed. Maverick knowing how to work that model of AGPU, not sucking something into an engine and getting into the enemy base at all was more unrealistic.
You mean other military forces don't just run in random directions during a crisis over and over again and don't notice 2 guys materializing from the tree line wearing red, white, and blue helmets?
J.P. 03
AG
Finally got to see this masterpiece. After the opening scene with Danger Zone, they built up so much credibility with me that I was willing to suspend any and all disbelief for the rest of the movie. Tom Cruise could have run around the enemy airfield killing bad guys with a samaurai sword and then rip off his mask Mission Impossible-style to reveal he was actually a reincarnated Goose who just wanted to reconnect with his son the whole time and I wouldn't have cared.

That said, here are some light-hearted nitpicks and missed opportunities:

1) Tom Cruise should have recapped the planned mission one more time when the final flight started, then the camera should have pulled back to reveal Merlin in the seat behind him screaming, "we're gonna do WHAT?!?"

2) When Jon Hamm took over and told everyone the new time to target was 4 minutes, one of the pilots should have replied with "bulls*** 4 minutes. This thing's gonna be over in 2 minutes!"

3) They kept showing the iconic image of Maverick and Iceman embracing on the carrier deck at the end of the original, but how is a photo of that moment supposed to exist?!? None of the crew have a camera, and there were no media present. Went back and re-watched that scene to confirm.

4) Do fighter pilots wear 2 parachutes? Couldn't figure out why Maverick kept telling Rooster to eject from the F-14, but didn't they both already use their parachutes ejecting from their original planes?

5) I could have sworn that neither Maverick nor Rooster are wearing or even carrying their helmets when they reunite in the woods, but they magically get them back for the F-14 flight. Definitely sounds like reason enough to go back and see this again. Should probably go IMAX next time just to make sure I can get a good look to confirm.

As others on this thread have said, movies like this are why theaters exist. Such an awesome experience that was absolutely worth the wait.
maroon barchetta
To point 3, I had a high school classmate that went into the military and was a photographer. One of the main things he said he did. Think he was in Navy or Air Force.

Having known him, I could definitely see the military giving him a camera instead of a weapon.
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

You mean other military forces don't just run in random directions during a crisis over and over again and don't notice 2 guys materializing from the tree line wearing red, white, and blue helmets?

This is the exact sh*t you goal tend the hell out of Obi-Wan for. So funny how you defend Obi-Wan at all costs, despite most people hating it, while nitpicking the hell out of TG:M, despite most people loving it.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

helloimustbegoing said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

This is the exact sh*t you goal tend the hell out of Obi-Wan for. So funny how you defend Obi-Wan at all costs, despite most people hating it, while nitpicking the hell out of TG:M, despite most people loving it.
I did this as a social experiment to see how long it would take to get a rise out of you.

I'm logging 43 minutes into the computer.

Thanks for your participation.

TCTTS
AG
And your point? "I bet I can get him to make a comment about hypocritical behavior"? Congrats?
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

And your point? "I bet I can get him to make a comment about hypocritical behavior"? Congrats?

I wonder if he has experience doing online social experiments to get reactions from people.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

helloimustbegoing said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

Yep I had the exact same thoughts TC
bthotugigem05
AG
J.P. 03 said:

4) Do fighter pilots wear 2 parachutes? Couldn't figure out why Maverick kept telling Rooster to eject from the F-14, but didn't they both already use their parachutes ejecting from their original planes?

5) I could have sworn that neither Maverick nor Rooster are wearing or even carrying their helmets when they reunite in the woods, but they magically get them back for the F-14 flight. Definitely sounds like reason enough to go back and see this again. Should probably go IMAX next time just to make sure I can get a good look to confirm.
4. the chutes are part of the seat I believe
5. the helmets are hanging off their hips in that scene (just went for the 3rd time and noticed that)
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Christ man, I was just kidding. I really enjoyed Maverick. Will probably see it again.

"and nitpicking the hell out of it?" I made 2 comments, both with the laughing face, neither critical of the movie.

And Barchetta, check your PMs please.
maroon barchetta
helloimustbegoing said:

TCTTS said:

Christ man, I was just kidding. I really enjoyed Maverick. Will probably see it again.

"and nitpicking the hell out of it?" I made 2 comments, both with the laughing face, neither critical of the movie.

And Barchetta, check your PMs please.

No

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.