*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,426 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

BowSowy said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I think I'm going to need a movie poster for this in my garage.
It has to be Connelly with a tall drink of water, or we riot.

Unsure if the wife would appreciate a big old Jennifer poster in my garage
You and I know she wouldn't. Neither would mine, to be fair.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

I like this, but where in the world is this kid of Tom cruise and 50+ year old Jennifer Connelly coming from?

Yeah. Up until then it kinda worked
Ok, first re-write. Can the kid. Tom and Penny show up to Viper's house and want to get closure as Maverick's career in the Navy is ending and he now has to go fly commercial or be a test pilot for Lockheed Martin. I am not tied to the kid for this to move forward. I am not sure I can handle the Hollywood critics.

No present-day stuff. Entire movie takes place in the '60s. We see Mav as a baby/kid at the end and that's it.

Being dropped off by Obi-Wan.
TCTTS
AG
JB!98 said:

TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

I like this, but where in the world is this kid of Tom cruise and 50+ year old Jennifer Connelly coming from?

Ok, first re-write. Can the kid. Tom and Penny show up to Viper's house and want to get closure as Maverick's career in the Navy is ending and he now has to go fly commercial or be a test pilot for Lockheed Martin. I am not tied to the kid for this to move forward. I am not sure I can handle the Hollywood critics.

No present-day stuff. Entire movie takes place in the '60s. We see Mav as a baby/kid at the end and that's it.
I am good with it, just thinking that having Cruise in it may give it and him a little incentive to cooperate. You could do the Magnum P.I. arc with his dad also. Lots of different angles. I think it centering on his dad and Viper is a winner though and lets you introduce new actors. Could also do something with Maverick's mom. It would have to roll into the 70's though because most of those top gun grads saw most of their combat during Linebacker II in '72.

Got it, yeah, I just meant no present day stuff. And I think part of the attraction would be that Cruise doesn't have to star in it, he could only produce. I'm betting the main reason he nixed the Days of Thunder thing was because it would be a TV series going straight to Paramount+, when he seems borderline obsessed with the theatrical experience.
maroon barchetta
Chipotlemonger said:

BowSowy said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I think I'm going to need a movie poster for this in my garage.
It has to be Connelly with a tall drink of water, or we riot.

Unsure if the wife would appreciate a big old Jennifer poster in my garage

If it is indeed your garage, she doesn't get a say.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great point, that is part of the deal for all of us husbands isn't it. They get the house we get the garage.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
bangobango said:

GrayMatter said:

As a huge fan of Top Gun, TG: Maverick was everything that I thought it would be and more.

But...

I absolutely do not want a sequel and I hope Tom doesn't do one either. Maverick with Penny, her daughter and Rooster at the end in the hangar is how it should end.
There will almost surely be a sequel with the way Hollywood is today.

I could see Top Gun: Rooster, Top Gun: Phoneix, Top Gun: Hangman, etc.

Not sure if Cruise has any say in it, but with the way this movie has performed I cannot imagine Paramount not demanding a sequel. Maybe if Cruise can veto it, then it doesn't get done (and I could see him doing that, to be honest), but otherwise I would be shocked if there weren't spin-offs from this and the attempt to start a franchise like Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.

I could see them doing it with Cruise not in it at all, or as a very minor role, maybe.
Maybe just because I love Glen Powell in every role he's in, my only critique of this movie is I wanted more screen time for Hangman.

That being said, I would totally be in on a sequel that revolved around Rooster and Hangman. Just have Maverick pop up in a cameo role to give them some advice or something. There's got to be a way we can get more of this Top Gun in our lives.
aTmAg
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

bangobango said:

GrayMatter said:

As a huge fan of Top Gun, TG: Maverick was everything that I thought it would be and more.

But...

I absolutely do not want a sequel and I hope Tom doesn't do one either. Maverick with Penny, her daughter and Rooster at the end in the hangar is how it should end.

Not sure if Cruise has any say in it, but with the way this movie has performed I cannot imagine Paramount not demanding a sequel. Maybe if Cruise can veto it, then it doesn't get done (and I could see him doing that, to be honest), but otherwise I would be shocked if there weren't spin-offs from this and the attempt to start a franchise like Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.

I could see them doing it with Cruise not in it at all, or as a very minor role, maybe.
Maybe just because I love Glen Powell in every role he's in, my only critique of this movie is I wanted more screen time for Hangman.

That being said, I would totally be in on a sequel that revolved around Rooster and Hangman. Just have Maverick pop up in a cameo role to give them some advice or something. There's got to be a way we can get more of this Top Gun in our lives.
I don't think Cruise would sign on for a bunch of Jarrassic Park-like sequels that taint the originals.
TexasAggie_02
AG
TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

but it has to be a deep fake kid that looks just like Tom Cruise, and he's wearing ray bans, and he lives on a goose farm.
rynning
AG
I want a movie where Maverick discovers a wormhole and goes back in time to save Goose.
The Collective
AG
rynning said:

I want a movie where Maverick discovers a wormhole and goes back in time to save Goose.

MooreTrucker
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

but it has to be a deep fake kid that looks just like Tom Cruise, and he's wearing ray bans, and he lives on a goose farm.
And a white collared shirt, tighty whiteys, and socks
Decay
AG
The Collective said:

rynning said:

And also accidentally kills his own father before he's born, opening a paradox. Then the movie fades to black, without telling the audience how the paradox plays out.
Sea Speed
AG
Another reason I think they try and make more in this universe is because they created special cameras just for these planes so now that they have that technology I can't imagine they dont try to use it again.
Ferg
aTmAg said:

bangobango said:

GrayMatter said:

But...

I don't think Cruise would sign on for a bunch of Jarrassic Park-like sequels that taint the originals.
Agreed, you don't want to turn it into a formula film. Remember Rocky won best picture when it was a stand alone.
bangobango
AG
Ferg said:

aTmAg said:

bangobango said:

GrayMatter said:

But...

Agreed, you don't want to turn it into a formula film. Remember Rocky won best picture when it was a stand alone.
Nothing about Hollywood should suggest that they will maintain the integrity of the franchise.

If Cruise isn't able to veto it, then you'll have Hangman Free jumping from his shot and smoking jet into the cockpit of Rooster's jet w/in three sequels from now. It'll be called "Top Gun: Too Top, Too Gun."
TCTTS
AG
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

It'll be called "Top Gun: Too Top, Too Gun.

Top Gun III: Hangman's Curse

Top Gun IV: Phoenix Rising

Top Gun V: Bobs Away!
MooreTrucker
AG
Sea Speed said:

Another reason I think they try and make more in this universe is because they created special cameras just for these planes so now that they have that technology I can't imagine they dont try to use it again.
Iron Eagle: Redux
The Porkchop Express
Beating Dr. Strange to $400 million is a phenomenal achievement, like Hank Aaron roaring past Willie Mays to break Babe Ruth's record. Would never have thought it was going to happen until it happened.

Consider Dr. Strange was at $354 million on the day before Maverick came out.

Monday was Maverick's 18th day at the box, and it's at $401 million. Strange was at $346 million at the same date, albeit without a massive holiday opening weekend and the first couple of weeks with school still in session.

$600 million seems like a mortal lock for Maverick, thing will probably blow the balls off the top of theaters on 4th of July weekend. Domestically that gets you knocking on the door of top 10 all-time domestic (The Last Jedi sits 10th at $620 million).

What a triumph for Cruise.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Turn and Burn
JB!98
AG
TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

This is Karma. I check into my hotel in Corpus today and here is my view. We can use the Lexington for the Vietnam carrier shots. This is all coming together!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
_lefraud_
AG
I'm thinking a crossover

Top Gun: Fast & Furious
TCTTS
AG
JB!98 said:

TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

This is Karma. I check into my hotel in Corpus today and here is my view. We can use the Lexington for the Vietnam carrier shots. This is all coming together!

Nice!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JB!98 said:

TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

Worked for Pearl Harbor
#FJB
tk for tu juan
_lefraud_ said:

I'm thinking a crossover

Top Gun: Battleships

It was disappointing that Rihanna was not a radar operator on the aircraft carrier. I guess she retired after that whole mess with the aliens
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I'm thinking a crossover

C'mon Dom, do some of that Toretto *****

Talk to me, Brian.

Ask any pilot, any real pilot. It don't matter if you win Top Gun by an inch or a mile.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just got back from seeing it a second time. We barely ever see movies twice in the theater, but this is one of the best movies we've seen in a long time. Just top notch from every aspect.
UnderoosAg
AG
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

It'll be called "Top Gun: Too Top, Too Gun.

Top Gun III: Hangman's Curse

Top Gun IV: Phoenix Rising

Top Gun V: Bobs Away!

Top Gun 2: Bogie Boogaloo
http://i.imgur.com/H6jmyPq.png
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Top and the Furious: San Diego Drift
The Porkchop Express
Need a Top Gun / Pearl Harbor / Final Countdown / Valkyrie crossover. Maverick takes an experimental plane back in time, single-handedly defeats the Japanese fleet, then flies straight to Berlin and gives Adolf the finger while inverted, distracting the Fuhrer while Col. Klaus Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) plants a bomb to kill him.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
tk for tu juan
Top Gun: Bent Airframes. 30 min short on the military mechanics complaining about the airframes that Maverick has damaged thru his career
Blanco Jimenez
AG
JB!98 said:

TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

One of the Tomcats from Top Gun is on the carrier. Seems like fate to me.
TexasAggie_02
AG
how did we go 23 pages without an Archer Gif?

LB12Diamond
AG
I thought it was funny how different cruise looked in his monologue and the movie. That's some crazy editing or whatever it is.
UnderoosAg
AG
LB41Diamond said:

I thought it was funny how different cruise looked in his monologue and the movie. That's some crazy editing or whatever it is.

Well there was like a ten year delay between shooting and movie release.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.