*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,430 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's a great weekend for theaters.
JCA1
AG
Top gun has been in theaters 17 days and it's daily gross has only been under 10 mill once at 9.1. Crazy good staying power.
FTAG 2000
AG
Did we already talk about how the miracle one miracle two callouts in planning were a nod to Val Kilmers The Saint character?
'03ag
Yes
TCTTS
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Glad people are showing up to movie theaters so far this summer. Will really hate it if theaters eventually become as rare as video game arcades.
The Anchor
AG
What a great movie!

Nothing to add except two of my boys have chosen Danger Zone as their All Star walk up songs!
jr15aggie
AG
Was hanging out in the pool with the family for a few hours on Saturday. At one point my oldest daughter and her boyfriend (18 year olds) took control of the music playlist and put the OG Top Gun soundtrack on.

Let me tell you... I never knew that I needed this in my life... but jumping off the pool ledges and throwing the football around with my family while Kenny Loggins is singing 'Playing with the Boys' from my patio speakers was one of the best back yard moments I've ever had in my life!!!
DevilD77
AG
Saw it last night and I do feel that it was better than the original. Loved the flying scenes and about lost it when Rooster cracked the "Do some of that pilot ****, Mav!" The Great Balls of Fire scene was a heart tugger. Must have been some dust in the air during the Mav/Ice scene.
Apache
AG
FINALLY got in to see this movie last Friday night. I had a S eating grin on my face for at least half the show.
*The opening scene took me back to '86.... felt like a kid again!
*Jennifer Connelly is smoking hot.
*Where am I? Earth. Lol.
*Top Cruise has made a deal with Xenu for eternal youth & it shows.
*Very nice to go to an action movie where the hero didn't wear a mask or have superpowers.
*I didn't realize Kilmer actually had throat cancer & his voice in the movie was dubbed in from his son & old movie lines.... he started smoking when he was EIGHT years old! Don't smoke kids.
*The Rooster/Maverick arc is a good one... man I was holding 'em back at the end!
* Didn't expect the Tomcat escape at the end, but it was freaking awesome!

**Check out "Jocko Podcast" dated June 3 with Dave Berke (Actual Top Gun instructor) where he discussed the movie... he served as an advisor.
GrayMatter
AG
As a huge fan of Top Gun, TG: Maverick was everything that I thought it would be and more.

But...

I absolutely do not want a sequel and I hope Tom doesn't do one either. Maverick with Penny, her daughter and Rooster at the end in the hangar is how it should end.
bangobango
AG
GrayMatter said:

As a huge fan of Top Gun, TG: Maverick was everything that I thought it would be and more.

But...

I absolutely do not want a sequel and I hope Tom doesn't do one either. Maverick with Penny, her daughter and Rooster at the end in the hangar is how it should end.
There will almost surely be a sequel with the way Hollywood is today.

I could see Top Gun: Rooster, Top Gun: Phoneix, Top Gun: Hangman, etc.

Not sure if Cruise has any say in it, but with the way this movie has performed I cannot imagine Paramount not demanding a sequel. Maybe if Cruise can veto it, then it doesn't get done (and I could see him doing that, to be honest), but otherwise I would be shocked if there weren't spin-offs from this and the attempt to start a franchise like Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.

I could see them doing it with Cruise not in it at all, or as a very minor role, maybe.
TCTTS
AG
Cruise has veto power. Paramount recently wanted a Days of Thunder series for Paramount+ and he straight up told them it's not happening (and I don't even think he was going to be in it, or maybe had a cameo role or something). Similarly, Paramount will no doubt want a third TG, but I seriously doubt TC lets it happen.
bthotugigem05
AG
With how reverently he treated this and how long it took to do it, I can't imagine them doing more. It was a great end to a cinematic universe.
double aught
AG
Like pages back where you said Cruise told the filmmakers to put the Japan or Taiwan flag back on his jacket because eff China, this is an American movie. And they did it. Badass.
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, if they tried to do a sequel, etc. without his blessing, it would be marketing death.
85aggie777
AG
Tom Cruise can just tell Paramount they can make a sequel if they follow the precedent of the first movie... wait 36 years!
JB!98
AG
85aggie777 said:

Tom Cruise can just tell Paramount they can make a sequel if they follow the precedent of the first movie... wait 36 years!
I am telling you they need to do an origin story that revolves around his dad and Viper set in Vietnam. There is enough Vietnam hardware in private hands to pull it off. Various F-4's, A-4's, Migs, etc to do it right. Cruise could make it his tribute to the beginning of Top Gun. Start it with his dad getting shot down and evolve it to 1969 with the creation of the school. Have Viper follow the character arc of Randall "Duke" Cunningham! I would go see it!

Edit 1! Cruise could cameo at the beginning to really learn the story of his father from a aging Tom Skerritt (Damn he is 88) and it could evolve to Viper's memories (ala Saving Private Ryan). It may not be the blockbuster that "Maverick" is, but as Maverick would say, "It can hold its own." I want some $$ if this happens for having the idea!

Edit 2! Maverick brings his and Penny's son to Viper's house to learn about his dad. The final scene shows his kid with a glint in his eye to follow in his grandpa and dad's footsteps. Boom the next sequels are born!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
DallasTeleAg
Please, no sequel. Everything that made this sequel so awe inspiring cannot be replicated. Similar to the first time I saw Jurassic Park in theatres. That first time to see those dinosaurs on screen is never replicated in subsequent movies.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, that's not a bad idea at all.
JB!98
AG
TCTTS said:

Damn it, that's not a bad idea at all.
Well, lets get together and do lunch with some of your Hollywood buddies. Thats how its done right? We do have to strike while Tom Skerritt is still alive though or it loses some of its punch.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
schmendeler
AG
I like this, but where in the world is this kid of Tom cruise and 50+ year old Jennifer Connelly coming from?
maroon barchetta
schmendeler said:

I like this, but where in the world is this kid of Tom cruise and 50+ year old Jennifer Connelly coming from?

Yeah. Up until then it kinda worked
JB!98
AG
schmendeler said:

Hey its a movie, not a documentary. You don't see me on here picking apart the F-14 scene in the movie! I had to suspend reality for that, so what the hey, Maverick all of a sudden has a 6 year old!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Phew just caught up.

I loved the movie so much that I had to read through every post in this thread.

It was a perfect summer blockbuster.

Did AlaskaAg just bash the film then peace out, what was that about? No explanation.

I could ramble a lot about the movie, but I think most things have been said wel here. I will just add that I also had the biggest kid grin for a lot of this movie, especially the whole intro.

I think I'm going to need a movie poster for this in my garage.
JB!98
AG
maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

Ok, first re-write. Can the kid. Tom and Penny show up to Viper's house and want to get closure as Maverick's career in the Navy is ending and he now has to go fly commercial or be a test pilot for Lockheed Martin. I am not tied to the kid for this to move forward. I am not sure I can handle the Hollywood critics.
Mathguy64
AG
schmendeler said:

Well son, you see the birds and the bees…
BowSowy
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

It has to be Connelly with a tall drink of water, or we riot.
DallasTeleAg
Well.... it does only have a 99% on RT for the audience score, so there are are a few miserable people out there.
JB!98
AG
Edit 3 Viper recollecting, "There were bogey's like fire flies all over the sky".......... fade to dogfight. I need to stop drinking for the night and turn in. I could write the movie in about 2 hours, but it would turn out like Homer Simpson's car design in "Oh brother, Where Art thou?"
TCTTS
AG
JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

Ok, first re-write. Can the kid. Tom and Penny show up to Viper's house and want to get closure as Maverick's career in the Navy is ending and he now has to go fly commercial or be a test pilot for Lockheed Martin. I am not tied to the kid for this to move forward. I am not sure I can handle the Hollywood critics.

No present-day stuff. Entire movie takes place in the '60s. We see Mav as a baby/kid at the end and that's it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That could work for sure.
Chipotlemonger
AG
BowSowy said:

Chipotlemonger said:

It has to be Connelly with a tall drink of water, or we riot.

Unsure if the wife would appreciate a big old Jennifer poster in my garage
JB!98
AG
TCTTS said:

JB!98 said:

maroon barchetta said:

schmendeler said:

No present-day stuff. Entire movie takes place in the '60s. We see Mav as a baby/kid at the end and that's it.
I am good with it, just thinking that having Cruise in it may give it and him a little incentive to cooperate. You could do the Magnum P.I. arc with his dad also. Lots of different angles. I think it centering on his dad and Viper is a winner though and lets you introduce new actors. Could also do something with Maverick's mom. It would have to roll into the 70's though because most of those top gun grads saw most of their combat during Linebacker II in '72.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.