*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,906 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Totally agree. I think the bigger factor was that it was so straightforward and simple. Stuck to a traditional story arc and managed to do so without a bunch of wasted motion.

A character had a problem, doubted his ability to succeed, but underwent a transformation and saved the day. Then he rode off into the sunset with a hot chick to live happily ever after.

All in 131 minutes.
Eliminatus
AG
bagger05 said:

Totally agree. I think the bigger factor was that it was so straightforward and simple. Stuck to a traditional story arc and managed to do so without a bunch of wasted motion.

A character had a problem, doubted his ability to succeed, but underwent a transformation and saved the day. Then he rode off into the sunset with a hot chick to live happily ever after.

All in 131 minutes.

It was the ultimate feel good story all around. Like I mentioned in the other thread, it was a bit nuanced here and there but the dedication they had to film it the way they did more than overshadowed what little things I could nitpick.

Loved it. And I hate feel good stories. I'm a bad guy and watching the goods walk off into the sunset makes me sick after all these years but this one....this one did it right.

Will also add that oddly enough, the engine failure sequence from the bird strike was the most intense moments for me. That just seemed so....REAL. The speed at which it happened, watching training kick in but still in a very amped way and the camera shots cutting and going around at just the right moments. I think it was the radio chatter that did it for me though. I've been on a radio when an ambush has happened and that initial chatter of controlled panic (if that makes sense) in the movie just clicked with me in a way I never thought would happen. Again, it just seemed so real and chaotic and was the one moment that literally had me holding my breath as I watched.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.
Charlie Conway
bthotugigem05 said:

Mav's training run and the scene with the Tomahawks going past the jets are up there with the portal scene from Endgame as my favorite movie theater moments ever.
The tomahawks flying past the jets, I remember telling myself, "self, this is ****ing cool as ****"
maroon barchetta
Charlie Conway said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Mav's training run and the scene with the Tomahawks going past the jets are up there with the portal scene from Endgame as my favorite movie theater moments ever.
The tomahawks flying past the jets, I remember telling myself, "self, this is ****ing cool as ****"

The Tomahawks going by was flipping sweet! And the adrenaline of "ok, it's definitely ON now!"
PatAg
AG
I'm sure this is one of those obvious observations, but that scene felt like the first modern version of 'archers sending a volley in over the head of the charging cavalry' I have seen in a movie
schmendeler
AG
Saw it last night. The power in the theater went out for twenty minutes the instant the cruise missiles launched from the ships.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Saw it last night with the fam. Out of superlatives not mentioned already. It was awesome!

While my daughter was having her hair cut yesterday, me and the hairdresser were discussing going to see TG:M later (me emphatically) and how practical effects make good movies so much better (she was rewatching the Alien series) and I hate CGI and how it makes so many action movies unwatchable for me. The film totally delivered and I am so grateful for the filmmakers not compromising before or now.

We will probably go see it again except our 12 year old is set on Jurassic Park next weekend understandably.

Southlake
Airlines are packed, restaurants are full and Cruise is packing the movie theaters again…did you hear that, Wall Street?
maroon barchetta
schmendeler said:

Saw it last night. The power in the theater went out for twenty minutes the instant the cruise missiles launched from the ships.

Full refund!!!
My Dad Earl
AG
Gigem314
AG
Finally got to see it tonight.

Wow. Incredible. Better than the original…yes I said it.

I got chills in the opening sequence when "Danger Zone" came on. I love how they followed the look/feel of the original by opening on the carrier.

Jennifer Connelly…my God.

Loved the callbacks to the original. The F14 sequence with Rooster in Goose's seat…I mean come on…how can anyone not love that.

The added depth to Maverick's character was so well done. The scene with Ice…perfect arc for the two of them. Tom Cruise clearly put his heart and soul into this whole project and it showed.

Perfect combination of action, awe, nostalgia, humor, and heart. Maverick flying off into the sunset with a new, restored, life (Penny and Rooster) is the perfect ending.

I will be seeing this in the theater again.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Awesome movie! Saw it this morning, and have been catching up on this thread.

I could've sworn that Hamm told cruise about the mission that he said "Iran". Would have to watch again to confirm.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I don't know if it's because Top Gun is simply dominating the pop culture conversation right now, but anecdotally, it feels like there's next to no buzz for Jurassic World: Dominion, which hits theaters in less than a week. JW will certainly have a big opening weekend, but I don't know a single person actively looking forward to it, and personally, I haven't even thought about getting tickets yet or when I might see it. It'll still likely be the highest grosser of the summer, there's just a part of me that feels like it could underperform next weekend, won't have legs, and that TG might actually pull this off (and be the number one movie of the summer).
DallasTeleAg
I posted that two pages back.
JDUB08AG
AG
A buddy of mine was like dude, go see top Gun. There has been a lot of that to an extent I haven't seen in a really long time. JW wont touch this. I've see previews and nothing about it brings it back to the original like Top Gun Maverick. I loved the original , but seeing the original cast just didn't move the needle much for me. I may be wrong, but this was special.
Gigem314
AG
I'm definitely planning to see it and I'm confident it will be better received than Fallen Kingdom…but yeah, I don't see it capturing the buzz of Maverick. Unfortunate timing for them.
JCRiley09
AG
Gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what happened in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. The Dino movies all kinda run together (with the exception of the OG). I just remember the ones with Chris Pratt being fun summer movies, but nothing that stuck with me.

I've barely stopped thinking about how good Top Gun was and I mention it to everyone I speak with. It's like the CrossFit joke, "how do you know someone has seen top gun? You wait for them to tell you"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm confused. JW made $1.6B.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh I guess they're looking at just domestic. Still gonna be tough, but the way it's still going it might beat out JW.

But there's still another movie in December...
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I also feel like Thor 4 is going to make a lot of money if it's any good at all.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Oh God this is funny.

Went to IMDB because I couldn't remember if Warlock was in TG. Turns out he wasn't, however a special credit was given.

lazuras_dc
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what happened in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. The Dino movies all kinda run together (with the exception of the OG). I just remember the ones with Chris Pratt being fun summer movies, but nothing that stuck with me.

I've barely stopped thinking about how good Top Gun was and I mention it to everyone I speak with. It's like the CrossFit joke, "how do you know someone has seen top gun? You wait for them to tell you"
Agreed! I couldn't tell you the plots to any JW movie after the first and I know I've seen them all. Maybe the kids are into these dinosaur things or whatever but IMO TG and TGM kick the JW franchise ass
TexasAggie_02
AG
Random question: will Meg Ryan and Anthony Edwards get royalties from Maverick since their likeness was used in the flashbacks?
maroon barchetta
TexasAggie_02 said:

Random question: will Meg Ryan and Anthony Edwards get royalties from Maverick since their likeness was used in the flashbacks?

I wondered as well.
85aggie777
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I thought it was interesting that the Charlie character by Kelly McGillis was completely sidestepped in the movie. I guess they decided that the relationship didn't last that long in the story line, so it didn't need an explanation.
bthotugigem05
AG
To quote Kelly McGillis, she's "old and fat now" and wasn't approached to be in the sequel. She has 13 years on Jennifer Connelly and hasn't worked in Hollywood in decades.
maroon barchetta
bthotugigem05 said:

To quote Kelly McGillis, she's "old and fat now" and wasn't approached to be in the sequel. She has 13 years on Jennifer Connelly and hasn't worked in Hollywood in decades.

If you have seen photos in recent years, you will think she is Cruise's mom.
85aggie777
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Oh, I'm well aware of that. I've seen recent pictures of her and know she could not play the love interest like Connelly could. But, I thought it was interesting they didn't mention her character at all in the movie as she was an integral part in helping Maverick through Goose's death. And, of course, the ending in the bar between the two of them when he came back to Top Gun was iconic.
maroon man
S
Gigem314 said:

Finally got to see it tonight.

Wow. Incredible. Better than the original…yes I said it.

I got chills in the opening sequence when "Danger Zone" came on. I love how they followed the look/feel of the original by opening on the carrier.

Jennifer Connelly…my God.

Loved the callbacks to the original. The F14 sequence with Rooster in Goose's seat…I mean come on…how can anyone not love that.

The added depth to Maverick's character was so well done. The scene with Ice…perfect arc for the two of them. Tom Cruise clearly put his heart and soul into this whole project and it showed.

Perfect combination of action, awe, nostalgia, humor, and heart. Maverick flying off into the sunset with a new, restored, life (Penny and Rooster) is the perfect ending.

I will be seeing this in the theater again.

Excellent summary !

TCTTS
AG

bagger05
AG
Just saw it again. So much fun.
schmendeler
AG
Tom Cruise has got to be the undisputed king of the box office at this point right?
wangus12
AG
Almost dead center for IMAX. Here we go again
BoydCrowder13
schmendeler said:

Tom Cruise has got to be the undisputed king of the box office at this point right?

He really hasn't had crazy box office pull until recent years.

He has 13 movies that have done $300M+ worldwide.

Only 5 that have done $500M+. 3 of which are the newest Mission Impossibles.

Top Gun will be his first $750M+ movie.

He has always been great but the last 10 years have been the best of his career.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.