*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,927 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Most unrealistic part of this movie is a bunch of millenials (possibly zoomers?) knowing all the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire.

I chuckle at this, but that was also the one callback I felt was just too much. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Most unrealistic part of this movie is a bunch of millenials (possibly zoomers?) knowing all the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire.
There were all probably huge fans of the first movie. It's what got them to join the Navy in the first place.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great Balls of Fire was 29 years old in 1986.

The 2022 equivalent of that song would be Tag Team's "Whoomp There It is!"

(And not gonna lie that would've been awesome.)
Yoda
AG
They would if they also all watched the first Top Gun.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

Cheesy/slight eye roll
As someone mentioned earlier. Tom running in the woods. I looked over to my gf and said "run forest run".
Rooster saying "Talk to me Dad". I thought that was a bit much. I would rather had him saying "Where are you at Dad, talk to me." To basically say it word for word was cheesy to me.
I LOVED Rooster saying that.

And what cracked me up about running in the woods is knowing that Tom has some kind of a thing where he runs in EVERY movie (contractually even, I think) and how they had to work that in somewhere.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
As an old millennial, I can say that I know more words of late 80's/early 90's songs than I do modern songs (IE, the last ten years). I didn't even know Jack Harlow was white until a month and a half ago, but if someone puts on "Return of the Mack" at the bar - game over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm middle millennial and I just had to google Jack Harlow.

I would say I know more music from 95-05 than current music for sure.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm middle millennial and I just had to google Jack Harlow.

I would say I know more music from 95-05 than current music for sure.

Same. I'd say I know more music from 75-05 than current music.
emando2000
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

Cheesy/slight eye roll
As someone mentioned earlier. Tom running in the woods. I looked over to my gf and said "run forest run".
Rooster saying "Talk to me Dad". I thought that was a bit much. I would rather had him saying "Where are you at Dad, talk to me." To basically say it word for word was cheesy to me.

And what cracked me up about running in the woods is knowing that Tom has some kind of a thing where he runs in EVERY movie (contractually even, I think) and how they had to work that in somewhere.
LOL! Tom Cruise running wouldn't have been comical except for the fact that the scene probably last 45 seconds. It's especially funny to me because I know how it is as a former track athlete to try and run full speed at my age. I'm pretty sure I look like that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My blind spot is late 80s to very early 90s, mostly limited to the very well known hits.

I grew up listening to 60s-70s music (my parents' music), and not as much 80s. But I'm way more familiar with 70s music than current music for sure.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

There were all probably huge fans of the first movie. It's what got them to join the Navy in the first place.
You realize the characters in this movie, did not see the original because it doesn't exist?
aTmAg
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You realize the characters in this movie, did not see the original because it doesn't exist?
You realize that was a joke, right?
Ferg
emando2000 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

Cheesy/slight eye roll

LOL! Tom Cruise running wouldn't have been comical except for the fact that the scene probably last 45 seconds. It's especially funny to me because I know how it is as a former track athlete to try and run full speed at my age. I'm pretty sure I look like that.
On twitter he thanked folks for coming out to see the film.

I check his account and under his name it said "Running in movies since 1981"
aTmAg
AG
I don't remember him running in the original Top Gun.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
TCTTS said:

Wallyworld? Really?

Personally, I love the Star Wars/trench run/Death Star vibe, but it's also so much more than that. If they just had to fire a missile or two at some above ground target, the mission losses a layer of tension/difficulty. And obviously, you always want maximum tension/difficulty. Because it's just that much better when the heroes finally pull it off, usually at the last second.

Point is, it didn't feel goofy at all to me, and instead felt imperative from a writing/plotting/tension standpoint. Anything easier wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying in the end.
I just thought the ending scenes got a lit formulaic and silly. The tone after they meet up in the forest following their crashes, seemed to shift from a serious film to whimsical. I still loved the movie, but the shift was not needed.
Ferg
aTmAg said:

No it was a general statement on his account page. Probably just having fun with being known for those scenes.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
aTmAg said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You realize that was a joke, right?
I wasn't sure..I'll adjust my jokeometer.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Another quick review for the thread.

1. I'd never seen the original Top Gun (I know) until last Saturday. Watched it twice before it was removed from Netflix and LOL. It was the most "80's" movie I'd ever seen. An entertaining watch nonetheless and I can see where a lot of movie tropes originated from now.

2. Watched Top Gun: Maverick on Monday and it was great. Surface-level entertainment and I can tell the fan service was laid on thick, which in this kind of movie works for me. It really reminded me of The Force Awakens or Fury Road. A successor movie that improves on everything, but sticks to the formula. I liked it a lot. There were clear, audible tears that were shed in my theater - which I guess makes sense knowing that a lot of people grew up watching/loving this. I ain't mad at it.
AggieKatie2
AG
Mav making the simulation run solo....something about that scene, the effort/performance he gave, was special.
double aught
AG
I feel some of their reactions in the planes couldn't have been achieved in any other way aside from the actors being in those F18s experiencing the G forces, etc.
MooreTrucker
AG
aTmAg said:

Maybe, but go back and watch all the MI's.
TAMU1990
AG
Loved the movie. My kids watched the original before going to see Maverick. They liked it too. It's a summer home run type movie.
Matt_ag98
'03ag said:

double aught said:

bthotugigem05 said:

The two-seater F18s were there for laser targeting.
I just don't understand why this was the plan. With such a difficult target, seems you'd give yourself twice as many chances.

Maybe there are some F18 logistics I don't understand. Can a single fighter not target and fire? Could've just been for the story's sake which is fine. Not a big deal.
One of the real Top Gun pilots in the youtube video someone else posted said that it is a valid tactic he has used. The single seaters CAN do both, but that it's nice to have a dedicated weapons officer that can laser the target for you.

Kinda like why the Apache has two and it flys A LOT slower lol
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Already outgrossed the original.
double aught
AG
Did 200 pushups today (not all at once).
maroon barchetta
double aught said:

Did 200 pushups today (not all at once).

Username checks out?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

It's like Top Gun had a baby and Star Wars, The Right Stuff, Iron Eagle, and Behind Enemy Lines are all the father.
I would like to add The Saint with Val Kilmer to the list of fathers to this movie. I saw it for the third time today and it dawned on me that they were talking about Miracle #1 (the low level flight and dropping the bomb on target) and Miracle #2 (egressing the valley). In The Saint, Kilmer talks about the three miracles needed for sainthood and counts them off as the movie progress. The Saint is one of my all time favorite movies and I'm ashamed I didn't make the connection until today.

I also found something to nitpick. I noticed the first two times I saw it but finally figured it out today. At the end of the football scene, as Cyclone walks away from Maverick the shadow on Maverick's face and the shadow on Cyclone are on opposite sides thus they were filmed at two different times and combined together. It's a small detail but definitely something I noticed as being off.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Anyone notice when H_ngm_n punches up Slow Ride by Foghat, it's song #86, a nod to the year the original was released.
Faustus
NM.
wangus12
AG
I thought miracle #1 was the first pair hitting the ventilation shaft target the size of a womp rat and miracle #2 was the second pair hitting the same target
Sea Speed
AG
I just want yall to know that I am basically a top gun. You're welcome for inspiring such an amazing film.

Sea Speed
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

aTmAg said:

As a guy who was prepared to call BS on a lot of stuff, I was a big fan of the hyper sonic scenes early on. They must have had real engineers help on that mock up. Or their visual effects guys really did their homework on how to make it look real. Even down to the stickers and labels we put on stuff nowadays.

I wish when Tom Cruise walked into the diner and asked where he was, and the kid said "Earth", that Tom would have followed up with "what state?". Because the real SR-71 (which would have been ~3X times slower) would occasionally make late turns and miss entire west cost states.
This says LH Skunk works was heavily involved

The skunk logo was heavily featured in the beginning. They made it pretty clear that skunk works was involved.
Bunk Moreland
no bobble head or cup of coffee lazily sitting out waiting to be spilled.

Not Top Gun material
Marauder Blue 6
AG
wangus12 said:

I thought miracle #1 was the first pair hitting the ventilation shaft target the size of a womp rat and miracle #2 was the second pair hitting the same target
You might be right. I don't recall specifically. My point is that the calling out of the miracles is a call back to The Saint.
DallasTeleAg
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I chuckle at this, but that was also the one callback I felt was just too much. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.
Really? I took it as a song that Rooster has memories of singing with his dad, so obviously learned it. He also seems to have history with many of the other pilots, so this seemed like something that happens a lot when they are all together at the bar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.