*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,910 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hangman saved it
Scriffer
AG
Disc arrived Tuesday, new TV arrived Saturday. Go time.
Scriffer
AG
I've lost count of how many times I've seen this, and the number will continue to grow.... but it sure seems like they could have sent a handful of those Tomahawks at the SAM sites
maroon barchetta
Scriffer said:

I've lost count of how many times I've seen this, and the number will continue to grow.... but it sure seems like they could have sent a handful of those Tomahawks at the SAM sites

Could the SAMs shoot down the Tomahawks?
bthotugigem05
AG
But then they would've lost the element of surprise
ABATTBQ87
AG
I purchased the 4k ultra HD disc and placed it into my Sony 4k uhd blueray player and I get the message "no disc"

Did I purchase the wrong disc?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Laser disc is where it is at dude.
agdoc2001
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

I purchased the 4k ultra HD disc and placed it into my Sony 4k uhd blueray player and I get the message "no disc"

Did I purchase the wrong disc?

What model # is the sony?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Sony BDP S6700
Bunk Moreland
ABATTBQ87 said:

Sony BDP S6700

Doesn't appear that's a UHD player. It's bluray w/ 4k upscaling. Probably need the bluray disc but I'd purchase a UHD player instead and keep your disc.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Sony BDP S6700

Doesn't appear that's a UHD player. It's bluray w/ 4k upscaling. Probably need the bluray disc but I'd purchase a UHD player instead and keep your disc.
Whats the difference in a UHD player and Upscaling?
Bunk Moreland
ABATTBQ87 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Sony BDP S6700

Whats the difference in a UHD player and Upscaling?

Basically it can take a bluray and upscale it to close but not quite true UHD 4k but it can't play a UHD disk, just bluray.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Thank you for that explanantion
schmendeler
AG
Upscaling is like taking a blu-ray and yelling "ENHANCE" at it until you've convinced yourself it actually did something.

There's no way for a player to come up with the other 75% of the resolution needed to go from 1080p to 2160p.
Chipotlemonger
AG
schmendeler said:

Upscaling is like taking a blu-ray and yelling "ENHANCE" at it until you've convinced yourself it actually did something.
This is a great explanation
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
My 3rd viewing, this time at home... still feel the same... dang, that's how you make a movie!!!
amercer
AG
Watched it again last week on a crappy little seat back screen on an airplane.

Still awesome.
The Dirty Sock
Barely saw it last week at home on bluray. Id go back to a theatre to watch again.
TexasAggie_02
AG
jac4
AG
Been waiting for the Pitch Meeting since I was sitting in the theater watching it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's NOT a Star Wars!
The Porkchop Express
Scriffer said:

I know this is a real post and a real thing, but this is an MF barnes post if there ever was one.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
YouBet
AG
schmendeler said:

There's no way for a player to come up with the other 75% of the resolution needed to go from 1080p to 2160p.
Ha. I've always laughed at that marketing gimmick.
Scriffer
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Scriffer said:

I know this is a real post and a real thing, but this is an MF barnes post if there ever was one.

Not sure how interpret being lumped in with the whacko, but I'll take it!

In real life though, I've been eyeballing that TV for months and finally got the right price and an excuse.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think both Maverick and Way of Water get nominated.
TCTTS
AG
Maverick is a shoe-in for a Best Picture nomination at this point. But somehow, some way, as much of a long shot as this is, there's starting to be talk of it maybe, just maybe, actually winning it all. The Fabelmans was/is the frontrunner, but the reception has mostly been good, not over-the-moon great, and it's not performing at the box office as strong as Universal had hoped. Strangely, Elvis is making a big push as of late, as a lot of the older Academy members really love that movie, and Everything Everywhere All at Once is actually in the conversation as well. Buy both of those feel a little too weird/zany to actually win. Next are The Banshees of Inisherin and Tar, but both of those, while great (Tar in particular), might feel a little too small or inaccessible.

Most pundits seem to agree (with exceptions) that those six movies are the likely Best Picture noms with the any real chance of winning. Yet you can make a strong case for each not winning, and at that point you can start to see a path where Maverick - obviously the most *popular* movie of the year - actually find its way to the top spot, which would be insane, but also so incredibly awesome.

Either way, yeah, it's sounding like The Way of Water could be in there as well, and then all of the sudden there are two massive blockbusters in the Best Picture category. Combined with an insane group of potentialy-nominated musicians for Best Original Song - Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, and Billie Eilish, who could each perform at the ceremony itself - and suddenly the Oscars could big and fun and relevant again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Where is the Fabelmans even playing? I keep checking showtimes every week and nothing here in FL. Is it still pretty limited?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's still pretty limited for some reason - only 600 screens (wide releases see over 3000) - but is actually supposed to drop on digital/streaming in the next week or two. I don't know why they didn't go fully wide with it. I guess because it underwhelmed in limited release? Either way, everyone should be able to watch it from the comfort of their own home later this month.
TCTTS
AG
Amazing…

jokershady
AG
Ugh….dude is awesome!
MooreTrucker
AG
LOL...he's just nuts!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.