*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

188,343 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Early access premiere" screenings start tomorrow for the public, and a few people here have said they'll be attending, so I wanted to go ahead and get this thread up in advance.

As for myself, I won't be seeing it until Saturday evening, so I'll see you guys then...
The Collective
AG
Who is going tonight? I am at a 7pm central showing.
Bunk Moreland
Nearly perfect. Holy ***** So much good stuff. Going to give this thread a few minutes so people don't accidentally click in thinking it's the main thread.
The Collective
AG
Thank you, Tom Cruise.
johncAG
AG
That's how you make a sequel. This Scientology man knows how to make a perfect action movie
Bunk Moreland
I can't wait to see it again. Thought the entire cast did well. Jennifer Connelly was a perfect casting decision. Miles Teller killed it.

The way they wrote Ice's story was very well done. Great timing with the laughs. And all the scenes in the air were just incredible. That's why you go to the movies folks.
bthotugigem05
AG
Freaking incredible. Perfect amount of fan service, incredible cinematography, and flawless sound design.
'03ag
Fan service felt a little heavy handed a couples of times for me. But that's a small nit

I completely get it because these guys seemed so determined to "get it right" when that was such a monumental task. They friggin killed it. A nearly perfect action movie.

All th training stuff was the best part for me. Hit so many great beats and the practical shooting will never be topped. Maverick popping on to the computer screen elicited gasps and cheers in our theater. Just another beat that could've felt cheesy but didn't.
Bunk Moreland
Agree about the fan service stuff. Got a little too close to the sun a few times but I understand why they did it
Bunk Moreland
How about the scene with the tomahawks passing over the Jets. Just so much good stuff.
The Kraken
AG
It was fun, but too many eye rolling and "suspension of disbelief" moments for me, even more than the original.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
bthotugigem05
AG
I mean yeah, the F-14 which just happened to be fueled up, armed, and pre-flighted was a little ridiculous.
Bunk Moreland
If we're nitpicking, it isn't the fact that the jet was fueled up but rather that their comms were working perfectly from an enemy jet once Hangman joined the fight.
bthotugigem05
AG
Oh don't get me wrong I loved every second of it, I have no problem suspending belief in the face of something awesome, the campiness of it worked imo.

Then again my favorite movie is The Rock and I generally love Michael Bay movies, so take it for what it's worth.
The Collective
AG
The F-14 scene felt like Han stepping into the Falcon in The Force Awakens. I don't care about the specifics - just let me have this moment.
The Collective
AG
When Maverick shows the mission can be flown - it kind of reminded me of the scene in Pearl Harbor when Doolittle puts every man on the line. Love those kind of moments, even if it is Hollywood b.s.
'03ag
The Collective said:

When Maverick shows the mission can be flown - it kind of reminded me of the scene in Pearl Harbor when Doolittle puts every man on the line. Love those kind of moments, even if it is Hollywood b.s.
Yep. This is the kind of suspension of disbelief that 99% of moviegoers have no problem with. It was maybe the best moment of the movie for me.

I think everyone needs to be prepared for a lot of people crapping on the movie in the next few days. It's inevitable. The Iron Eagle turn will be hard for big chunks of people to swallow. The Death Star-esque nature of the primary mission(not only the mission itself, but how it unfolded) is a strain.

Then you're going to have all the military types going nuts over the depiction of 5th gen air to air combat. That was even worse than the original.

In the end this is still an EPIC action movie and a breath of non-CGI fresh air. A better script than the original and great performances from everyone. It captured maybe the most important thing about the original . . . we'd never seen anything like it visually, and it took a sequel for us to see it again. The aircraft and what they can do are beautiful, and they shot it in a way that really let us see that.

I can't wait to see it again, and this time in IMAX.
JB!98
AG
The Collective said:

The F-14 scene felt like Han stepping into the Falcon in The Force Awakens. I don't care about the specifics - just let me have this moment.
So did the F-14 GCI look out of place in the movie? There are no flying F-14's in the US fleet or in private hands, only in Iran. So anything with and F-14 in the air was GCI.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
The Collective
AG
I didn't notice the CGI, but I wasn't focused on it to be honest as it was a fairly intense part of the movie. I had heard they used flying footage from the Super Hornet as the basis for the F-14 scene.
The Collective
AG
Or maybe this would be a better answer to your question...
JB!98
AG
The Collective said:

Or maybe this would be a better answer to your question...

Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JB!98
AG
The Collective said:

I didn't notice the CGI, but I wasn't focused on it to be honest as it was a fairly intense part of the movie. I had heard they used flying footage from the Super Hornet as the basis for the F-14 scene.
Got it! I am the kid that always liked to find the Christmas presents before Christmas and then regretted it Christmas morning because I spoiled my own surprise! Can't wait to see it.
The Kraken
AG
JB!98 said:

The Collective said:

So did the F-14 GCI look out of place in the movie? There are no flying F-14's in the US fleet or in private hands, only in Iran. So anything with and F-14 in the air was GCI.
No, it's seamless as far as I could tell. The SU-57s are CGI, and I'm pretty sure any F-18 flying sequences that go beyond Navy safety requirements are, also.

Edit: Also whatever Mach 10 prototype at the beginning of the film was obviously CGI for the flying
scenes....but much like the planes in Midway, you really can't tell the difference.
JB!98
AG
New World Ag said:

JB!98 said:

The Collective said:

No, it's seamless as far as I could tell. The SU-57s are CGI, and I'm pretty sure any F-18 flying sequences that go beyond Navy safety requirements are, also.
Damn, now I have 100 questions! I guess I will have to wait.
Bunk Moreland
yeah thinking back on it there were some scenes that looked absolutely gorgeous and you could fully tell it was 100% original.

Some others looked absolutely awesome and you could tell there may have been some CGI assistance but it was all seamless. And as mentioned...once the real battle gets going you're all in with the action so at least for me, trying to discern that wasnt even a thought in my mind.
CoachRTM
AG
"Come on Mav, do some of that pilot sh*t"

My wife and I lost it.
CoachRTM
AG
Miles Teller was phenomenal. Perfect casting

I thought the fan service/ callbacks were perfect. Heavy at the beginning, then settled in and became its own movie with a touch here or there.

I had a hard time imagining this Maverick as an older Pete Mitchell. He almost felt like an extension of his Mission Impossible character more than Maverick sometimes, but that was only moments here or there.

I would legit watch a 6 part documentary on how they filmed the flying sequences. Did they really have the actors go under the bridge? Etc. There were some scenes where you could see both pilots at the same time, but looking back I think they were very tame parts of flying, so they could have filmed that on the ground

I thought Penny and the daughter were completely unnecessary, but that might be a minority opinion.
The Collective
AG
Miles Teller played his role very well. No disagreement there.
The Kraken
AG
I thought it was ironic that Ed Harris' character, a two star admiral, was questioning how Captain Mitchell could still be in the Navy when Harris, who is now 71, was portraying an 0-8 who would typically be in their early to mid 50's.
heddleston
AG
I thought Lewis Pullman was a hilarious foil to all the cocky pilots in the room.
CoachRTM
AG
I do have one legit complaint about the movie.

There was a funeral that featured prominently in the trailers. You knew someone was going to bite it.

Within like 3 minutes of screen time, you had :
- a pilot black out, and save the plane at the last moment
- a bird strike causing the plane to crash, but they eject at the last minute to an unknown fate
- new scene where you find out they're ok….but
- Mav learns that Ice dies off screen

It felt really weird. Like they were trying to fake you out in a sleight of hand type manner. Again, I loved the movie, but I think that one part of the movie is going to bug me.
bthotugigem05
AG
I thought they handled Kilmer's illness and speech limitations really well.
bbattbq01
AG
CoachRTM said:

I thought Penny and the daughter were completely unnecessary, but that might be a minority opinion.

Jennifer Connelly is never unnecessary. Loved that just dance was playing she came into the movie, nice touch.

Man, this movie was brilliant, what more could you want from a top gun movie? It was predictable as all get out, but so so good.
toucan82
they couldn't get Slider to show up? weak
jr15aggie
AG
Really liked it. My only complaint is I saw too much footage that would have been best saved for the movie. But I'm glad I didn't know hardly anything about the plot ahead of time.

H_ngman actor did an incredible job of capturing the spirit of the Ice Man role. Just nailed it.

They did a great job with Val and I was surprised Meg Ryan wasn't brought in... but I suppose it made more sense that Mav and Rooster were the only family they had left.

And it's really incredible that Maverick and Penny Benjamin not only found each other 30+ years later, but are the 2 best looking 50 year olds of all time. What a deal!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.