*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

189,413 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Top Gun Maverick is so good, I'm thinking about trying to watch "The Mummy" again.
Decay
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Top Gun Maverick is so good, I'm thinking about trying to watch "The Mummy" again.

Don't do that to yourself man

Just go watch Top Gun
Dro07
AG
One of my fav Tom Cruise movies outside of TG is edge of tomorrow. Not sure why but I enjoyed him getting killed over and over plus I'm a sucker for ground hog day type movies.
bagger05
AG
I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. Was a pleasant surprise for me.
schmendeler
AG
I also liked Oblivion. Same director as Top gun Maverick.
EllisCoAg
AG
Agreed with everyone else

My one word review:

Orgasmic
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just out of curiosity checked out the 4pm IMAX showing and it's about 95% full. Looks about as full or even fuller than last Sunday when I went for viewing #2.

That is James Cameron level impressive to me.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm not going back through this whole thread to find the discussion on Iceman's voice but I think TCTTS said it was somebody else who may have provided the voice but Val's daughter confirmed it was the AI designed for Val with his own voice. Apologies if that's already been posted here.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/val-kilmer-top-gun-maverick-210600445.html
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, on second viewing it sounded way too much like him to be someone else.
Schall 02
AG
So awesome. God bless America.
Squadron7
AG
FWIW, my 85 year old MIL and a friend are seeing it as we speak. I don't think she's been to a movie in a decade.
Bunk Moreland
Squadron7 said:

FWIW, my 85 year old MIL and a friend are seeing it as we speak. I don't think she's been to a movie in a decade.

This is the type of thing Top Gun brings that no marvel, DC, or star wars movie could.
wangus12
AG
Just got out again. This is rapidly moving its way up my all time movie list. Its just so damn good in every way. I love the comic book films and Star Wars, but this just hits every right note as a big blockbuster action film that those sometimes miss. Endgame and TFA were some of my favorite theater experiences, but I could literally walk out of this film, buy another ticket for the next showing and rinse and repeat all day.

• The flying is great
  • The actors all nail their roles
  • The emotional moments hit at the right time
  • The music is awesome
  • It has stakes and never feels overly safe
Squadron7
AG
The only way this goes badly for Tom Cruise now is if he slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars.
Pooh Ah
AG
Question:

What happened to Rooster's WSO (rear seat Weapons Systems Officer) call sign Payback after they eject?

It's just Rooster and Maverick on the ground.
JB!98
AG
Pooh Ah said:

Question:

What happened to Rooster's WSO (rear seat Weapons Systems Officer) call sign Payback after they eject?

Rooster was "flying" a F-18E (single seat) in the final mission. He and Maverick were the shooters on that mission where the F-18F's were used for the targeting.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Stive
AG
Pooh Ah said:

Question:

Rooster was flying solo (like Maverick). Payback was with the other pilot.
wangus12
AG
Payback was with Fanboy
Pooh Ah
AG
wangus12 said:

Payback was with Fanboy

Thank you both. I missed that little nuance, LoL
CajunAg97
AG
Is it me or did Jennifer Connelly look amazing?

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
wangus12
AG
If I was 16 years old, I'd have a poster of her with that Porsche on wall. I want it today to, but my wife would probably veto it
schmendeler
AG
100%
AlaskanAg99
AG
She has always been gorgeous. And yes, at 51 she's drop dead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CajunAg97 said:

Did you skip the rest of the thread?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Squadron7 said:

This is the type of thing Top Gun brings that no marvel, DC, or star wars movie could.

The Force Awakens did this, but hasn't done it again since.
CajunAg97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

CajunAg97 said:

Did you skip the rest of the thread?
yes I did lol
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
country
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Squadron7 said:

I don't think TFA drew the oldest movie goers at the rate Top Gun is. That's what made this a big draw to me the whole time. Some 75-80+ year olds obviously were SW fans but not nearly as many that liked Top Gun. Now the 45-65 age group? TFA killed it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
country said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Squadron7 said:

I don't think TFA drew the oldest movie goers at the rate Top Gun is. That's what made this a big draw to me the whole time. Some 75-80+ year olds obviously were SW fans but not nearly as many that liked Top Gun. Now the 45-65 age group? TFA killed it.

It definitely drew in that crowd. It made nearly a billion domestic. A movie can't do that without hitting every single quadrant.
country
AG
All I am saying is there are a lot of older people that simply do not like comic book or Star Wars/sci-fi. It may have pulled some but Top Gun is pulling more of them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's impressive for sure, and rare, but it's not outdoing TFA in that regard imo. Harrison Ford was a massive draw.

Again, nearly a billion.

I mean the fact that my parents saw TFA, and they literally could not care less about that series (hadn't even seen a SW movie before) says it all.
JB!98
AG
country said:

All I am saying is there are a lot of older people that simply do not like comic book or Star Wars/sci-fi. It may have pulled some but Top Gun is pulling more of them.
There is also something to be said for scarcity. We have had how many Star Wars/comic book movie sequels in short time periods. It has be 36 years between Top Gun's and then you realize that this will be the last one ever made (I assume). It creates a demand and draws in the nostalgia that folks that may have been in their 40's when the movie came out to go see it. Also, it is a damn good movie.

Really the perfect storm.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
wangus12
AG
I'll say this. I think Jurassic World is gonna be in trouble. This thing is gaining less via word of mouth. Just clicking through different screenings and there are sold out shows all over the place still.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly right. I think TFA and Maverick had this in common. (In 2015 of course.)
country
AG
JB!98 said:

country said:

There is also something to be said for scarcity. We have had how many Star Wars/comic book movie sequels in short time periods. It has be 36 years between Top Gun's and then you realize that this will be the last one ever made (I assume). It creates a demand and draws in the nostalgia that folks that may have been in their 40's when the movie came out to go see it. Also, it is a damn good movie.

Really the perfect storm.

Absolutely. That scarcity is why I am 100% confident more 80 year old great grandparents are off to the movies to see Top Gun than went to see TFA. If the opening two week demographics of TFA are compared to the same two weeks of Top Gun, there is no question Top Gun skews older by a sizable margin. TG needs those oldies to go to multiple showings and needs word of mouth to get younger crowd number higher.
TXAG 05
AG
Maverick is also a much better movie than TFA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.