*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,908 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jealous. Hope you enjoy it
Complete Idiot
wangus12 said:

Jealous. Hope you enjoy it

Watching first one now, honestly not sure if I ever watched the whole thing straight through but if I did it was 30 years ago.
TCTTS
AG
All of this box office success is so insane and unprecedented and I absolutely want to see it continue to break records, but at the same time it's selfishly a tiny bit bittersweet. Because the better it continues to perform in theaters, the longer it's going to take for it to hit Blu-ray/digital, and all I want to do is watch parts of it over and over and over again, from my couch, in pristine 4K.

Granted, apparently the plan was always to have a 120-day theatrical window, but there was talk at one point in June or so of it being *so* successful that it might be *more* beneficial for Paramount to release it to Paramount+ in late July or so, in order to gain a ton more subscriptions for this quarter, but it sounds like that plan has been nixed.
The Porkchop Express
Decay said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I don't know what it was about Lightyear, but I just had no interest in it even though I am a general fan of the Pixar movies

I don't think anyone watched Toy Story and had any concerns that they didn't understand Buzz's character. And he's a toy so it's not like the backstory mattered... Heck we saw basically his entire life because he was a new toy.

I wondered how Woody came into the family. I wondered what toys Andy's mom played with alongside Woody. I wanted to see more toy adventures (until they went back to the well and made Toy Story 2,3,4...).

Add in that you replace Tim Allen so it's not even the same character as the Buzz Lightyear toy. I get why they did it, but it made the movie less interesting to me.
You know I sort of stumbled on the fact this morning that Lightyear and Solo (2018) are cut from the same cloth. The studio takes one character from a wildly popular group ensemble, makes a movie about just one character, recasts it - obviously needed for Solo, totally unnecessary for Lightyear, and expects the franchise name to deliver the same massive audience despite lousy marketing choices - you couldn't tell what Lightyear was supposed to be from the trailers, and Solo didn't have a single piece of advertising until the Super Bowl, and came out in May as opposed to December like the 3 movies before it.

I like Solo a lot, but there's no denying it's a departure from the other films, not to mention the midway change of director gave it bad pub.

Sorry to slightly derail the thread. Just thought it was interesting.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Decay
AG
We're kinda petering out on worthwhile Top Gun discussion so I don't think a slight derail is an issue. Sequel talk is also obviously on-topic.

The Solo thing is a good comparison. I saw it but I'm not really a fan. I just didn't find it fulfilling to see "that's where the dice came from", "that's where the the Solo came from", "that's where the parsecs came from" etc.

Likewise, I wouldn't find much value in a Top Gun sequel where they dive into how Goose as a child used to light golf balls on fire and then catch them on a grate and so he was always predisposed to love the song "Great Balls of Fire" or some nonsense like that. The idea of a Vietnam-era fighter pilot flick is kinda interesting but not really because it'd be A Top Gun Story... I mean really I just want a Flight of the Intruder remake
jackie childs
Gigem314 said:

TCTTS said:

I have no doubt that Cruise would give a third movie his all, and demand of it nothing less than yet another incredible spectacle. That said, I'm almost positive I wouldn't want this. There's just something so perfect about how the original and the sequel go together - Cruise losing Goose but then saving his son - and I just don't want to risk damaging the legacy of the franchise, or at least the sequel, in any way.
Agreed. The way both films tie together is perfect. The character arc for Mav ends perfectly. I just don't know how they could top that with a third.
simple...Mav, ever the loner, now has to adjust to family life with Penny and her daughter and serving as a surrogate father figure to Rooster. He'll need a zany sidekick to help him navigate those waters, so you cast cuba gooding jr.

and that's all so we can hear cuba accuse tom of once again shopliftin the pootie
The Porkchop Express
I'd take anything at this point. Time-traveling Maverick, Maverick in space, evil Maverick clone, Maverick vs. AI Maverick like in Robocop 3, Top Gun vs. Airwolf.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bthotugigem05
AG
I think Charlie Sheen making a Hot Shots sequel is up next in the order of operations
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

He'll need a zany sidekick to help him navigate those waters, so you cast cuba gooding jr.
Cuba can play a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, and Mav yells "SHOW ME THE GUNNY!!"
The Porkchop Express
How about an Airplane! reboot with Cruise as Rex Kramer?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Decay
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I think Charlie Sheen making a Hot Shots sequel is up next in the order of operations
Hot Shots: Tiger Blood
TexasAggie_02
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

I'd take anything at this point. Time-traveling Maverick, Maverick in space, evil Maverick clone, Maverick vs. AI Maverick like in Robocop 3, Top Gun vs. Airwolf.
Alien vs Predator vs Top Gun
MooreTrucker
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

YES PLEASE!!!!!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Do you think the success of Top Gun Maverick will lead to "Fire Birds 2?"

The Porkchop Express
TexasAggie_02 said:

Sean Young is one ugly looking dude on that poster.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Complete Idiot
TexasAggie_02 said:

Firefox 2: Firefoxes

Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot said:

Seeing it for first time this friday.

I was 14 when original came out and it was in local theater for I believe an unprecedented 9 months and I think I made it a point to not see it in theater at the time, trying to be too cool for the mass appeal? I don't know but I don't recall seeing it in theater. Didn't have a drivers license or girlfriend at the time and think my friends and I were into comedy and extreme action movies
That was a beautiful remake, very well done.
double aught
AG
So what kind of Oscar nominations will Top Gun get? If academy members had any sense of reality and any desire to give their show a desperately needed boost, Best Director and Best Picture should be sure things. So that means it will probably get neither.
maroon barchetta
Can't give Cruise the best actor award. He is Maverick.
bthotugigem05
AG
Cinematography and sound design for sure.
The Porkchop Express
double aught said:

So what kind of Oscar nominations will Top Gun get? If academy members had any sense of reality and any desire to give their show a desperately needed boost, Best Director and Best Picture should be sure things. So that means it will probably get neither.
Best modern day version of American being awesome and all the other countries of the world can suck it.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Squadron7
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Cinematography and sound design for sure.

Actual camera work.
Squadron7
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Can't give Cruise the best actor award. He is Maverick.

He won't slap the host, at least.

So there's that.
TCTTS
AG
In terms of nominations, I would say...

LOCKS
Best Film Editing
Best Original Song (Lady Gaga, "Hold My Hand")
Best Sound

POSSIBLE
Best Cinematography
Best Visual Effects

LONG SHOT
Best Picture
jackie childs
listening to The Rewatchables about Maverick made me want to see it again, so just got back from my third viewing. wasn't a huge theater, but was still probably 75% full.

SJEAg
AG
I think a Best Picture nod has a better chance than most think. Academy Awards are suffering lately, nominating a popular picture that is universally loved would be a boost. Add in the fact that there are 8-10 nominees and I think it has a great chance.
Ferg
SJEAg said:

I think a Best Picture nod has a better chance than most think. Academy Awards are suffering lately, nominating a popular picture that is universally loved would be a boost. Add in the fact that there are 8-10 nominees and I think it has a great chance.
If only normal people voted.
Bunk Moreland
SJEAg said:

It's too white, too hot dogs and fireworks, and too good to be a best picture nomination.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Watching Top Gun 2 for the second time. Picked up on a few more things. When the bandits moved in on the stolen F-14, Mav "reversed on a hard cross and immediately went to guns" on the bad guy. Took one of them out. Charlie told him in the original this maneuver was "too aggressive".
jackie childs
Cowboy Curtis said:

Watching Top Gun 2 for the second time. Picked up on a few more things. When the bandits moved in on the stolen F-14, Mav "reversed on a hard cross and immediately went to guns" on the bad guy. Took one of them out. Charlie told him in the original it was "too aggressive".

Further cementing Charlie as being a pretty worthless consultant
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Charlie was a Russian spy. Prove me wrong!
bagger05
AG
TCTTS said:

In terms of nominations, I would say...

LOCKS
Best Film Editing
Best Original Song (Lady Gaga, "Hold My Hand")
Best Sound

POSSIBLE
Best Cinematography
Best Visual Effects

LONG SHOT
Best Picture

I don't think it's out of the question that it would get a BP nomination. The Academy has been trying a lot of different tweaks to be relevant in recent years. Could definitely see them giving it a nod to try to get more people to care.
Squadron7
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Charlie was a Russian spy. Prove me wrong!

Charlie don't surf.
Max Power
AG
Finally got a chance to see it today, and it didn't disappoint. So glad I got to see it in a theater, my iPad isn't going to bring the same experience. That's a movie that requires a theater viewing. It was exactly what I wanted it to be, nothing less. Teller was great as Rooster, totally pulled off being Goose's kid. I don't think I have any real gripes about it, it made me too damn happy.

It's also nice that now the last movie I saw in a theater isn't Thor: Love and Thunder.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is Miles Teller having a moment? Just in this summer he's had this movie, The Offer, and Spiderhead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.