*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,916 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Complete Idiot said:

DallasTeleAg said:

The scene where the movie went from good to legendary. It definitely is amazing how much of this scene is lost when not experienced on a big screen with the engines of the F-18 rumbling the entire theatre.

The movie was great, very entertaining and well done. However, things like the 8 straight reaction shots that start at the :12 second mark in the video above kinda make me laugh.
Didn't even notice in the theater though. It's part of the magic I suppose.
TCTTS
AG
Complete Idiot said:

DallasTeleAg said:

The scene where the movie went from good to legendary. It definitely is amazing how much of this scene is lost when not experienced on a big screen with the engines of the F-18 rumbling the entire theatre.

The movie was great, very entertaining and well done. However, things like the 8 straight reaction shots that start at the :12 second mark in the video above kinda make me laugh.
That's actually one my favorite things about that scene.
Complete Idiot
TCTTS said:

Complete Idiot said:

DallasTeleAg said:

It's sooo Top Gun, I enjoy it

I should count TOTAL reaction shots in that 2 minute clip

Pretty much every Glenn Powell facial expression was soooo Top Gun as well

It's cheese, but top shelf perfectly prepared and plated cheese - cant help but smile
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Complete Idiot said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I like that part too. Some of those shots are used quite well in the Gaga video too, which hasn't gotten much love lately. Love it.

TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Also, I probably watched this video once a week this summer as a substitute for the movie itself, to tide me over until the digital release this week.
bthotugigem05
AG
For me it was "Send 'em"

F-18 ENGINE GO WOOOOO
DallasTeleAg
Can't wait to pick it up on UHD Bluray. There are just so many scenes I can't wait to see again.

Hell, I think one of the most underrated scenes in the movie is the one during training with the pilot going into G LOC, followed by the engine going out.

Love how Phoenix doesn't panic, just pulls up to get altitude and starts going through her steps to regain control. I don't know why, but I just found that scene to be so badass. Especially after hearing Jocko's interview with the actual former senior instructor at Top Gun when they discuss that exact scene. He basically said, though it wasn't fully 100%, much of what she does is exactly what he would do in that scenario.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Damn. I love this movie.
Downloaded and watched it. Still ordered the 4K thingy…
Start to end it hits the notes it needs to..
TCTTS
AG
Decay
AG
You think you like Top Gun but do you "post in the Texags thread at 1am three months after the movie came out" like Top Gun?!
TexasAggiesWin
S
Bought the Digital version on Amazon Prime earlier this week, and have re-watched it 3 times now. I even re-watched the original Top Gun and for whatever reason, this movie made me enjoy watching the original even more than I did before.

I have to say, the Opening Scene - Same music, same sequence, same vibe, same cheesy celebrations of the crew on deck as the original Top Gun - is amazing.

(Just to add, I watched it twice in theatre)

schmendeler
AG
You guys are crazy
double aught
AG
I've never heard of this movie. Is it good?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
First viewing since opening night. I cranked up my speakers a bit more and enjoyed every bit of rumble from the F/A-18 engines. I wonder if the neighbors enjoyed it as much as I did.
#FJB
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Bought the Digital version on Amazon Prime earlier this week, and have re-watched it 3 times now. I even re-watched the original Top Gun and for whatever reason, this movie made me enjoy watching the original even more than I did before.

I have to say, the Opening Scene - Same music, same sequence, same vibe, same cheesy celebrations of the crew on deck as the original Top Gun - is amazing.

(Just to add, I watched it twice in theatre)

This is the way.
InternetFan02
AG
Tears of joy as I fired this up in the living room much louder than the theater experience. Wife mad, dogs scared, teenagers eye-rolling, me very happy.
wangus12
AG
Told my wife I'm gonna get the digital and see how many times I can watch on our flights to Greece and back in a few weeks
DallasTeleAg
Waiting for it to hit physical copies but i've been just watching reactions on YouTube to get my fix.

Both times I saw this movie, I had the biggest dumb smile on my face the entire movie. I don't know if I've ever seen another movie where I was just smiling from joy the entire movie.
wangus12
AG
wangus12 said:

Told my wife I'm gonna get the digital and see how many times I can watch on our flights to Greece and back in a few weeks
My wife told me to say that it was her idea which it was
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
My 17yo son loves this movie. We've watched it 3 times together this week. We saw it twice in theater.
bthotugigem05
AG
wangus12 said:

Just watched it on a flight back from Tokyo….might watch it again
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
All ready for a day of top gun fun with my kids.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

For me it was "Send 'em"

F-18 ENGINE GO WOOOOO
Yesss!

bagger05
AG
Going to see it again tonight.
maroon barchetta
That whole last act is so good.
The Porkchop Express
The thing that makes Maverick better than the original is that there is a real mission built in that is the driving point of the whole film. One of my biggest peeves of the original is that suddenly there's just some random threat and they are all on the same ship at once to go deal with it. Did the top guys all get assigned to this one ship? Who were the pilots on the ship before then? It was just movie ends with random dogfight vs. random enemy.

Even though they never name the country (IRAN) it seems like every movie since we all got so damn PC is always a group of terrorists with vaguely identifiable accents or splinter cells of a government that we already don't like. In the end of Maverick, it's a mission against a target that not only has resources, but has better resources than us!

My one nag from Maverick, and it is mostly due to my lack of knowledge of the military, is - when Iceman dies, would all of the top gun students really go to his funeral? I understand they are all captains or whatever in the Navy, but would his funeral just be open to all available personnel in the immediate area or would there be some sort of pecking order?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Decay
AG
Eh, they were already in the neighborhood.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I wish Porkchop would over analyze ANY of the Star Wars stuff as much as he is doing to this movie.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Seems like there was quite a debate on this board about Top Gun's ability to compete with the big Marvel blockbusters. Having beaten Infinity War and continuing to climb, does anyone want to eat crow over their predictions?

ETA - I thought it would be really good and find a wider audience, but never thought it would beat IW. Never opened my mouth, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Already did way back in this thread.
DallasTeleAg
Umm... Iceman is the Commander of the entire US Pacific fleet. He is Mav's best friend for decades, and these students have been training with Mav for over a week. I'm sure they would go for mere solidarity, let alone out of respect for the Admiral himself.

I don't think it has anything to do with a military thing.
The Porkchop Express
Chipotlemonger said:

I wish Porkchop would over analyze ANY of the Star Wars stuff as much as he is doing to this movie.

I did that for 25 years before there was an Internet, son. I thought maverick was phenomenal, just had a simple question.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
DallasTeleAg said:

Umm... Iceman is the Commander of the entire US Pacific fleet. He is Mav's best friend for decades, and these students have been training with Mav for over a week. I'm sure they would go for mere solidarity, let alone out of respect for the Admiral himself.

I don't think it has anything to do with a military thing.

Thanks!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Continuing the top gun party festivities..

The Porkchop Express
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Continuing the top gun party festivities..

That's awesome. Trying to figure out if I should have my 10 year old action fan dive right into Maverick or watch the original first. There's a lot more "need to fast forward" in the original one.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.