*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,907 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also for those who asked about the flight scenes and the actors,

Edit: sorry see it's already posted.
TCTTS
AG
country said:

I haven't seen it discussed, but I read today that Val Kilmer worked with an artificial intelligence company to recreate his voice. Supposedly they take hours of old recordings and have now created a program that Val can input parameters into and the computer speaks the words in his voice with the tone, volume, emphasis, etc. that's supposedly how he spoke in the scene. Pretty dang cool.

That was done for the recent Val Kilmer documentary, but my friend who worked on TG:M told me he's pretty sure they used screenwriter Chris McQuarrie's voice for the Iceman scene. That said, he could be wrong, and they could have *also* used the A.I. thing here, but I do know that the A.I. was specifically developed/used for the doc.
aTmAg
AG
agracer said:

'03ag said:

MooreTrucker said:

My wife's question is why do our enemies have 5th Gen aircraft and we don't.
They explain in the movie why the F22 isn't suited for the mission. Something about their GPS system being confused by the low altitude/terrain, or maybe jammed? It felt like a strain. But Hollywood . . .

And if you're going to think too hard about it, I thought a better question was why we didn't have F22s prepared to protect the F18s on the way back.
They were way out at sea. Also, F22 is strictly fighter air to air, it does not carry bombs at all.
The mission was 100% designed for viewing awesomeness. It was completely unrealistic.

They would actually just fly really high and bomb with F-35s while F-22s cover them from enemy aircraft (and take out enemy radars if necessary). They would not use gen 4 aircraft for this at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
country
AG
TCTTS said:

country said:

I haven't seen it discussed, but I read today that Val Kilmer worked with an artificial intelligence company to recreate his voice. Supposedly they take hours of old recordings and have now created a program that Val can input parameters into and the computer speaks the words in his voice with the tone, volume, emphasis, etc. that's supposedly how he spoke in the scene. Pretty dang cool.

That was done for the recent Val Kilmer documentary, but my friend who worked on TG:M told me he's pretty sure they used screenwriter Chris McQuarrie's voice for the Iceman scene. That said, he could be wrong, and they could have *also* used the A.I. thing here, but I do know that the A.I. was specifically developed/used for the doc.

Interesting. I know nothing at all other than pursuing various sites. I actually watched the documentary today (Val on Amazon Prime) and I don't think I ever saw them use that technology. He spoke with his trachea hole combined with his son narrating.
aTmAg
AG
I assumed that was his real voice. But I just confirmed that his real voice sounds WAY different and that his AI voice is almost indistinguishable from his youthful voice. No way they used that for this movie.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, I haven't actually seen the doc yet, and got it slightly wrong. He used the A.I. thing to speak ABOUT the doc/his creative spirit…

https://www.thewrap.com/listen-to-val-kilmer-use-an-ai-voice-model-to-speak-about-his-creative-soul-video/

Either way, I think the TG:M articles might be conflating these two things, but who knows…
country
AG
No worries at all…..just thought it was an interesting topic. Good to know it wasn't in the movie but also neat to see where the technology might grow for him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

When I heard today's equivalent of Lost That Loving Feeling would me Ms Jackson by OutKast I felt old as ****.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah I was confused too. His son narrated it, who sounds eerily like him.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jerry Maguire: Jerry Maguire
TCTTS
AG
Would watch.
wangus12
AG
That was about as perfect a blockbuster as they could have made. I don't see how anyone could walk out of that complaining without simply being nitpicky
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
agracer said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

'03ag said:

tk for tu juan said:

In real life he has someone that maintains his P-51.
I'm sure the vast majority is done by someone else.

I do think I heard recently that he has his mechanics certification. But that thing have a Merlin in it? That's kind of like having one of Jay Leno's ridiculous old cars. Probably only a handful of people that can work on that.
Can't speak with certainty as to how Cruise's 'stand is outfitted, but in terms of WWII, the P-51 only became the superior Allied fighter in Europe after they replaced its original Allison engine with the British Merlin. AFAIK, the P-51D, which Cruise's appears to be (I say appears because it could actually be a P-51K or a later Korean War F-51), was the first Mustang variant to get the Merlin. /warbird nerd
P51B was first mustang to get the Merlin. D just had a bubble canopy and later a tail fillet to fix cracking at the tail root.

Edit: ok more then just a bubble canopy but that was the biggest change.
Which is why I included AFAIK. Clearly, I don't know.
#FJB
Wabs
AG
Saw it yesterday and loved it. GREAT movie.

Loved how they opened it with the Top Gun soundtrack them. If that didn't get you pumped up, you may not have a pulse.
jr15aggie
AG
Wabs said:

Loved how they opened it with the Top Gun soundtrack them. If that didn't get you pumped up, you may not have a pulse.

Yeah I'm pretty sure my thought process was, "oh, we're doing this again the EXACT same way we did it 30+ years ago" and I loved every second of it.

I know there was a thread not long ago talking about 'Best movie intros'. Pretty sure one of my responses, as well as many others, was Top Gun.
Enviroag02
AG
If you have never flown on a P-51, I definitely recommend it. I personally haven't, but it was worth twice what my family paid just to see the HUGE grin on my dad's face! He flew in the CAF's "Red Nose" with a pilot who performs in the Tora, Tora, Tora airshow act.
aTmAg
AG
Wabs said:

I thought the logo was a bit cheesy looking this time around (with the flourishing lines and stuff). I like the original where it simply said "TOP GUN". Simple and clean. Maybe do the same thing and wait a little big longer than they did and then simply write "Maverick below in half sized font or something. None of that stuff around it.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
For those interested in the flying sequences I highly recommend watching videos of Mach Loop (UK - Wales) and Rainbow / Star Wars Canyon training runs. Absolutely aweseome. My dad was a USAF fighter pilot and went through the USAF Top Gun equivalent, so I grew up around fighters on air bases, they are just incredible machines and the men (and women I guess now) that fly them are total bad a$$es. Though most are much more studious and confident than arrogant/cocky/wild.

LMCane
aTmAg said:

Philip J Fry said:

Real answer. Cruise wanted to actually fly an f35. Military said hell no.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but damn there were some plot holes.
Real answer: there are no 2 seater F-35s. So they couldn't film this movie in them.
I think it was John Hamm mentioning Cruise wanted to fly the F-18

but the Navy drew the line on if Cruise would have to bail out and the government lost a 60 million dollar plane.
LMCane
agracer said:

Saw it last night, loved it.

Did anyone else notice the Skunk Works graphic on the tail of the Darkstar?
the first 20 minutes were a paid advertisement for one of my former employers:

LOCKHEED MARTIN

you can see skunkworks all over the place, and there is a mouse on the pad with the Lockheed logo
aTmAg
AG
LMCane said:

aTmAg said:

Philip J Fry said:

Real answer. Cruise wanted to actually fly an f35. Military said hell no.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but damn there were some plot holes.
Real answer: there are no 2 seater F-35s. So they couldn't film this movie in them.
I think it was John Hamm mentioning Cruise wanted to fly the F-18

but the Navy drew the line on if Cruise would have to bail out and the government lost a 60 million dollar plane.
I think this is separate then why they chose the F-18 vs the F-35. If there were 2 seater F-35s then I imagine they would have used those, since they are the new hotness. I imagine Tom Cruise wanted to fly whatever plane it would have ended up being.

And it made no sense for Cruise to fly these sequences anyway. He doesn't have enough experience in F-18s. It's one thing to fly a P-51 around it's another to do close formation flying in an F-18. Not to mention all that stuff through canyons and whatnot. They would have had to scale back the mission bigtime and that would have made it less exciting. Just so that Cruise could be in the front seat (while no viewer could tell the difference anyway)? Not worth it at all.
bthotugigem05
AG
The Skunkworks test plane mockup allegedly faked out the Chinese.
TCTTS
AG
Faked out both the Chinese and the Russians. Both countries literally moved/refocused satellites, thinking it was real.
Stive
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

The Skunkworks test plane mockup allegedly faked out the Chinese.

Wait what?
bthotugigem05
AG
https://www.ign.com/articles/top-gun-maverick-fake-plane-made-china-check-it-out-with-spy-satellite
AgGrad99
AG
Whats funny, is that the original Skunkworks project did that on purpose, when they needed to test or move the actual aircraft they were working on.

Even the workers there thought they were bringing out the real aircraft, and it would be a dummy.
maroon barchetta
I was confused by Kilmer's appearance in the movie and did not realize he had actual serious health issues in real life. It's been awhile since I read anything about him other than some TMZ photos some years back showing tremendous weight gain.

That's awful. Hate to see that. I've been a fan of Kilmer since the Real Genius days.
LMCane
maroon barchetta said:

I was confused by Kilmer's appearance in the movie and did not realize he had actual serious health issues in real life. It's been awhile since I read anything about him other than some TMZ photos some years back showing tremendous weight gain.

That's awful. Hate to see that. I've been a fan of Kilmer since the Real Genius days.
you should watch the Val documentary, I think it's on Netflix.

it's really awesome.
maroon barchetta
Might have missed this if discussed, but is it possible that when Maverick showed up at the bar in dress white uniform and talked to Penny out on the beach, that he was proposing or otherwise expressing some sort of commitment to Penny?

He had recently been told that if he died there would be nobody to mourn him since he had no wife and no kids. Maybe he decided to do a grownup thing and have someone close to mourn him if the mission failed badly.
maroon barchetta
LMCane said:

maroon barchetta said:

it's really awesome.

Will do.
CoppellAg93
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I actually told my whole family during the movie that he was dead. I could've sworn he had died and that his documentary came out right afterwards. Oops !
jograki
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Might have missed this if discussed, but is it possible that when Maverick showed up at the bar in dress white uniform and talked to Penny out on the beach, that he was proposing or otherwise expressing some sort of commitment to Penny?

He had recently been told that if he died there would be nobody to mourn him since he had no wife and no kids. Maybe he decided to do a grownup thing and have someone close to mourn him if the mission failed badly.
Yes, I think the significance of the dress whites was to show that he can be serious. Penny had mostly been guarded up till the house date scene due to the way he treated her in the past, and Maverick finally "got it" when Amelia told him to not break her heart.
Thunder18
AG
maroon barchetta said:

LMCane said:

maroon barchetta said:

it's really awesome.

Will do.

It's on Prime, just FYI...but it's very good!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.