*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,919 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Continuing the top gun party festivities..

That's awesome. Trying to figure out if I should have my 10 year old action fan dive right into Maverick or watch the original first. There's a lot more "need to fast forward" in the original one.

Ya same on the first one, we hve to pause. Excuse the kids and Ff s bit. I took my oldest to see maverick in theater after I watched it 1x. Only conversation I had to have with him was on foul language. Very thankful as a parent for that.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Ddp
jackie childs
I had the same call with my 11yr old. Personally, I think It's worth watching the first one and when you fast forward the more adult scenes, it's a pretty quick watch
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Movie time!!
maroon barchetta
Get off your phone and help mom sort those socks!!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Nope. It's my bday. I'm gonna Tex ags and chill, hang with kids and enjoy the movie. Plus I do dishes/kitchen, she does laundry…
DallasTeleAg
That room needs a bigger TV.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
It's not that small.. it's all about perspective…

In all honesty we just upgraded to a 70inch. When the 90+ go on sale in a few years I'll upgrade again. Just couldn't justify the extra 2-3k.
maroon barchetta
It's ok.

These $30,000 millionaires are going to criticize your lack of theater seating next.
DallasTeleAg
Projector!
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
Watched last night. Freaking awesome and then I watched original right after.

I was amused by the mission's blatant ripoff of Star Wars, but loved it all the same.
YouBet
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Movie time!!

Have you figured out what causes all those kids yet?
Decay
AG
It's a shame, no a tragedy, that Jon Hamm wasn't brought a fresh cup of coffee at any point
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
YouBet said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Movie time!!

Have you figured out what causes all those kids yet?

Not enough movies worth watching to occupy our time, had to find other activities over the past few years.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Decay said:

It's a shame, no a tragedy, that Jon Hamm wasn't brought a fresh cup of coffee at any point

I love the grins that warlock gives when maverick does his thing . .. throughout the entire movie, it's just this slight acknowledgement that he knows that maverick is what he is and the best no matter what. Perfectly done.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

country said:

I haven't seen it discussed, but I read today that Val Kilmer worked with an artificial intelligence company to recreate his voice. Supposedly they take hours of old recordings and have now created a program that Val can input parameters into and the computer speaks the words in his voice with the tone, volume, emphasis, etc. that's supposedly how he spoke in the scene. Pretty dang cool.

That was done for the recent Val Kilmer documentary, but my friend who worked on TG:M told me he's pretty sure they used screenwriter Chris McQuarrie's voice for the Iceman scene. That said, he could be wrong, and they could have *also* used the A.I. thing here, but I do know that the A.I. was specifically developed/used for the doc.
Post above you is a real thing. My buddy has ALS and can no longer speak. They recorded his voice when he still could. He now uses his eyes to type out what he wants to say and when he's finished the computer says it out loud using his voice putting together the words he recorded previously.
maroon barchetta
Incredible technology and I'm glad it exists to help people like your friend.

Alternatively, I'm horrified at the thought of ALS. It's just such a cruel disease. That and MS and a few others.
DallasTeleAg
I thought I remember reading they used audio from his previous movies mixed with some from his son.
YouBet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Incredible technology and I'm glad it exists to help people like your friend.

Alternatively, I'm horrified at the thought of ALS. It's just such a cruel disease. That and MS and a few others.

Yes, it was kind of startling to hear it the first time but really cool. It's not perfected tech yet simply because it can take a bit to type something out with your eyes.

He's in year 7 and has beat the odds. Horrific disease.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I thought I remember reading they used audio from his previous movies mixed with some from his son.

I'm not sure what they did with this movie. I frankly didn't realize Val Kilmer was that sick in real life until this thread.
maroon barchetta
YouBet said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I'm not sure what they did with this movie. I frankly didn't realize Val Kilmer was that sick in real life until this thread.

Same
maroon barchetta
My new gig bag for my guitar has this symbol.

Have I accidentally supported the rogue state that was working towards a nuclear weapons program in the movie?

Similar symbol to their aircraft.
InternetFan02
AG
Enjoying the movie again with sound maxed out and I'm reminded of TCTTS reporting here that at one point the love theme was going to be based on the song Drive by the Cars until they changed to the Lady Gaga stuff. I think the final product is awesome but I also think the Cars version would have been great as well. I googled and can't find any references to it but there is this youtube version of the top gun theme merged with Drive here - love it!

YouBet
AG
BTW, sound editing thoughts here...we bought digitally through Apple. Paid $20 but I couldn't wait since I missed it in theaters. I'm curious if the blu-ray version will sound differently than the Apple Digital version?

Thinking back to the sound editing thread we had and the fact that sound editors have lost the ability to edit movies as effectively as they once did because they have too many mediums to account for now especially with streaming coming about.

The remaining differentiator with blu-ray has aways been sound. Video has caught up with today's TVs and everything in 4K but it could still distinguish itself with superior sound codecs and the ability to push and place that sound the right way via blu-ray.

All that to say...this might be the first blu-ray I buy in many years if we know it's going to bring the best sound experience.
The Porkchop Express
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

country said:

I haven't seen it discussed, but I read today that Val Kilmer worked with an artificial intelligence company to recreate his voice. Supposedly they take hours of old recordings and have now created a program that Val can input parameters into and the computer speaks the words in his voice with the tone, volume, emphasis, etc. that's supposedly how he spoke in the scene. Pretty dang cool.

That was done for the recent Val Kilmer documentary, but my friend who worked on TG:M told me he's pretty sure they used screenwriter Chris McQuarrie's voice for the Iceman scene. That said, he could be wrong, and they could have *also* used the A.I. thing here, but I do know that the A.I. was specifically developed/used for the doc.
Post above you is a real thing. My buddy has ALS and can no longer speak. They recorded his voice when he still could. He now uses his eyes to type out what he wants to say and when he's finished the computer says it out loud using his voice putting together the words he recorded previously.
It was definitely an AI company, in fact I had a chance to interview one of the people who worked on it a few weeks ago for a book I'm helping write about Architecture in the Age of A.I. and how the technology to create new forms of art - Luke Skywalker's face, Iceman's voice, etc. is now working its way into architecture and really revolutionizing a lot of the way that architects create and present their work.

The company, which is based in London, has an entire case study on its website on how it did it.

https://www.sonantic.io/blog/helping-actor-val-kilmer-reclaim-his-voice

Which includes an incredible video of AI Val Kilmer speaking something that the real Kilmer wrote.

Just a warning, there is no one on this thread that won't start crying or at least feel the dust in the last 30 seconds of the video.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
YouBet
AG
Well, this is odd because I just ran across this interview with Kosinski and he says it was not AI with Kilmer.

Quote:

Q: There were reports that a London-based tech company has used artificial intelligence to restore Val Kilmer's voice. Was that used in the film?

Kosinski:
I've read about it and saw Val is working with that company. But I've never used that technology and we didn't use that A.I. technology in "Top Gun." (Kilmer's) voice was digitally altered and blended a little bit just for clarity.
Also fun tidbit. SIAP:

Quote:

Q: Ed Harris (as Rear Admiral Chester "Hammer" Cain) told us that jet flyover was so powerful, it knocked the roof off the guard station. Can you confirm the damage?

Kosinski: That was a filmmaking experience I'll never forget Ed Harris standing there for real at the end of that runway taking that shock wave. We had worked with each rehearsal to get the altitude we wanted. So we had one take at the perfect altitude. And it blew the roof off the guard tower. It was intense. We had to wrap after that shot. Anyone else would have been blown away. But Ed Harris took it. And film is forever.
Decay
AG
That's pretty cool because TC reported the same thing from a buddy and I wondered if he was BSing TC or not. If so, everyone's in on it!
TCTTS
AG
Which part?
Decay
AG
Ed Harris being a cold mofo
Squadron7
AG
Was it a real guard tower or a movie set guard tower?
TCTTS
AG
Movie set. They built it for the movie.
GreasenUSA
AG
YouBet said:

BTW, sound editing thoughts here...we bought digitally through Apple. Paid $20 but I couldn't wait since I missed it in theaters. I'm curious if the blu-ray version will sound differently than the Apple Digital version?

The most you'll be able to get from streaming right now will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is compressed to somewhere around 768 Kbps. When it comes out on disc, you will get the full uncompressed audio track in DTS HD Master or TrueHD, which will be upwards of a minimum of 4000 Kbps to much higher.
YouBet
AG
GreasenUSA said:

YouBet said:

The most you'll be able to get from streaming right now will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is compressed to somewhere around 768 Kbps. When it comes out on disc, you will get the full uncompressed audio track in DTS HD Master or TrueHD, which will be upwards of 4000 Kbps.

See I was wondering about that because I didn't notice all that great of sound with the digital version. Says it's in Atmos but that's the only codec I see.
GreasenUSA
AG
YouBet said:

GreasenUSA said:

YouBet said:

The most you'll be able to get from streaming right now will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is compressed to somewhere around 768 Kbps. When it comes out on disc, you will get the full uncompressed audio track in DTS HD Master or TrueHD, which will be upwards of 4000 Kbps.

See I was wondering about that because I didn't notice all that great of sound with the digital version. Says it's in Atmos but that's the only codec I see.
Yeah, it should be the compressed version of Atmos in the Dolby Digital Plus codec. It still can provide height channels, but just at a lower bitrate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.