*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,901 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stive said:

maroon barchetta said:

What movie is that from ?

Based on this question and a few of your comments on other threads (mainly the Framed thread), do you mind me asking how old you are?

I'll say I was born in the 60's.

I went through a period where I didn't watch many movies as I was busy with other things. When kids came along it was mostly kid movies.

I've not seen a lot of movies that people go nuts over but I saw almost all of the Marvel movies in the theater and the Star Wars movies as well.
Gigem314
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Gigem314 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".
Ha, I actually had this happen to me when I saw Fallen Kingdom in the theater. I was like "Wait a minute! Why is The Rock in the new JW movie?". They'd put in Skyscraper instead, and I had to walk out to tell someone they were playing the wrong movie.
20+ years ago, a buddy and I decided at the last second to go see Sphere on a Sunday night. We sped to the theater, bought tickets, and raced into the auditorium thinking we'd get there right as it started. Instead there were 5-6 previews on and we figured we had gotten the time wrong. Then the Wedding Singer started and we realized we had gone to the wrong auditorium and missed the first 40 minutes of Sphere, which made it even more incomprehensible than it already was.
Did it feel like this?

A is A
AG
Amazing movie. First watch and enjoyed every moment of it.

Will have to see it again.
ChipFTAC01
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Gigem314 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Went to see it today with wife and friends, sat through the 19 previews, screen goes dark, and we see a ship in frigid waters and the tagline "Bering Sea". Since I saw Jurassic World less than a week ago, I quickly deduced what was going on - they had put the wrong movie on - but I didn't say anything, allowing me to relish in my wife freaking the **** out when a Mosasaurus breaches the surface of the water and attacks the fishing boat in what she thought was some sort of Naval rescue mission to begin "Maverick".
Ha, I actually had this happen to me when I saw Fallen Kingdom in the theater. I was like "Wait a minute! Why is The Rock in the new JW movie?". They'd put in Skyscraper instead, and I had to walk out to tell someone they were playing the wrong movie.
20+ years ago, a buddy and I decided at the last second to go see Sphere on a Sunday night. We sped to the theater, bought tickets, and raced into the auditorium thinking we'd get there right as it started. Instead there were 5-6 previews on and we figured we had gotten the time wrong. Then the Wedding Singer started and we realized we had gone to the wrong auditorium and missed the first 40 minutes of Sphere, which made it even more incomprehensible than it already was.

I'd just like to take a moment to comment on what a damn shame how bad Sphere was from such a great book.
The Porkchop Express
Maverick rocketed past The Dark Knight on Thursday and then past The Lion King on Friday estimates.

Up to $545 million domestic through 7/1. Next on the long-range radar is Incredibles 2 at $608 million.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Sazerac
AG
Are these adjusted to todays ticket prices ?
bthotugigem05
AG
Yep
maroon barchetta
Sazerac said:

Doubt it

GWTW would maybe be the all time leader. It's not.
LisaMarie
AG
We saw it last night for the first time and the theater was sold out. We both really enjoyed it.
Sapper Redux
maroon barchetta said:

Sazerac said:

Doubt it

GWTW would maybe be the all time leader. It's not.

I'm not sure you can reliably compare old film box office receipts to today. Gone with the Wind was released a dozen times. You get one release today, unless, of course, it's Morbin Time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$32M four day weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also Tom Cruise turned 60 today.
Complete Idiot
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is.....sobering
LisaMarie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And he looked pretty good even next to the young actors during the scene on the beach, it was shocking. He can still get it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Heard the foursome behind me on the golf course today at one point talking about going to see Top Gun again today or tomorrow.

In fact, it reminded me I need to go see it again soon!
The Porkchop Express
We were dining at the beach in Alabama today and got an unexpected treat of the Blue Angels flying over incredibly low in some sort of formation with one in the front and a wing behind them. Apparently they have a free show in Pensacola later this week.

Holy hell, I thought the movie had come to life!

EDIT: This Clip isn't it, it's from 2 years ago, but it's a carbon copy of what we saw.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Was just there in May. The Angels were not in the area at the time, but I did get to see a big C-17 fly right by my condo on the approach to Pensacola.
#FJB
DallasTeleAg
We used to vacation in the Florida pan handle every year, growing up. We would sometimes see F-18's, but one of the coolest things we saw was in Alabama or Mississippi. I can't remember exactly which of the states we were driving through on our way to Florida, but we got to see an A-10 fly low over the road. Couldn't have been more than 500 feet off the ground. That is a badass plane.
maroon barchetta
DallasTeleAg said:

We used to vacation in the Florida pan handle every year, growing up. We would sometimes see F-18's, but one of the coolest things we saw was in Alabama or Mississippi. I can't remember exactly which of the states we were driving through on our way to Florida, but we got to see an A-10 fly low over the road. Couldn't have been more than 500 feet off the ground. That is a badass plane.

MILITARY: Here is a big gun. It fires big rounds. Build a plane around it.

Aerospace company: Cool! Umm, are the spent casings staying inside the plane or being discharged from the aircraft?

MILITARY: Better put those engines up top.

Aerospace company: Got it.
Sea Speed
AG
Playing golf at sea n air on Coronado island was always awesome when you're on the beachfront portion of the back nine and all the aircraft are flying directly over you on to the runway.
The Porkchop Express
Up to an estimated $571 million through the 4th of July. It's been averaging about $4 million/weekday and $7 million per day on the weekends. If that happens again this week, it should hit $600 million next week.

Taking my dad to see it at the end of the month.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bthotugigem05
AG
May have gone and seen it a 4th time yesterday.

So many great scenes (the missiles going past the jets is so [bad word]ing epic), but the wide shot of the SAMs firing at the four jets that "sums up" the odds of what they're facing is such a gut punch of a scene, the cinematography was so gripping in the third act.
jokershady
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

Not arguing with any of that. I said the TERMINATOR, not Skynet/Vader/Thanos.

Actually, I'm going to push back a bit, because Vader is absolutely more evil than Thanos. Vader *knows* what he's doing is evil/"dark." Thanos, on the other hand, is convinced he's actually making the universe a better place. Vader is a literal terrorist, whereas Thanos believes he's simply doing his duty, and once the job is done, even retires.
There is a line of thinking that Obi-wan, Skywalker, etc. are the terrorists as the rebel force against the Empire.
man i love clerks

The Porkchop Express
Looks like the biggest threat to Maverick winning the box office this year might not be dinosaurs or Gods of Thunder or Strange Doctors but in fact little yellow banana-loving, Italian-speaking Minions. Minions 2 made $17 million at the box on Tuesday, $1 million more than it made on the 4th of July, and the highest 5th-day total of any film this year, including Maverick. Between the legions of daycares hitting that movie up and all the bizarro dressed up teenagers acting like it's the prom, it's going to be a weird rest of the summer.

Mav up to $575 million through Tuesday as well
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
JCA1
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Looks like the biggest threat to Maverick winning the box office this year might not be dinosaurs or Gods of Thunder or Strange Doctors but in fact little yellow banana-loving, Italian-speaking Minions. Minions 2 made $17 million at the box on Tuesday, $1 million more than it made on the 4th of July, and the highest 5th-day total of any film this year, including Maverick. Between the legions of daycares hitting that movie up and all the bizarro dressed up teenagers acting like it's the prom, it's going to be a weird rest of the summer.

Mav up to $575 million through Tuesday as well

Tuesday being a big day for Minions makes some sense. A lot of families traveling/outdoors for the 4th. When they back on the 5th and are looking for something to do with the kids after a long, hot weekend, a movie theater sounds pretty good.
HossAg
AG
That tiktok trend with the suits in the theater for Minions cracks me up
The Porkchop Express
HossAg said:

That tiktok trend with the suits in the theater for Minions cracks me up
They were at ours on Tuesday on vacation in Gulf Shores, AL
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
SJEAg
AG
Biggest threat will be Avatar 2, which will crush it internationally. Domestic could close.
wangus12
AG
Going again today to catch one more time in theaters (probably).

Noon weekday showing and still has 20 tickets sold.
schmendeler
AG
Will this be the new "home theater bragging" title when it comes out on disc/download?
Scriffer
AG
schmendeler said:

Will this be the new "home theater bragging" title when it comes out on disc/download?

I'm planning on it.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
schmendeler said:

Just dusted off the old laser disk!
schmendeler
AG
You mean you haven't converted to VHS yet?
Furlock Bones
AG
Finally saw it. ****ing epic.
Scriffer
AG
Just saw it a second time, and I loved it even more than the first time.

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie twice in the theater.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.