*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,895 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
T dizl televizl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out of seeing it and loved it. Was a little worried in the first half but got totally sucked in by the second half. Think my only complaint weirdly enough was Tom cruises acting in the first half. Almost like he was forcing it. That would've been the least of my worries going into it. Saw another poster say he felt like it wasn't maverick but mission impossible so maybe that's what it was.

Favorite moment was probably when rooster is in the plane with him and tells him not to think. Mav rips down and immediately shreds the next gen enemy plane with his guns then baits the enemy missile to blow him up. Just a bad ass sequence that happened real quick.

Quick question, why did rooster not have a spotter in his jet. Beyond just wanting an excuse to pair him and maverick up in the F14. had wondered earlier in the movie why maverick didn't but chalked it up to him not wanting to have another goose experience or something. Seemed like rooster always had one but maybe I just missed that. In my defense I was distracted worrying that I was going to have to call my dr. For having an erection lasting too long.
MooreTrucker
AG
T dizl televizl said:

Just got out of seeing it and loved it. Was a little worried in the first half but got totally sucked in by the second half. Think my only complaint weirdly enough was Tom cruises acting in the first half. Almost like he was forcing it. That would've been the least of my worries going into it. Saw another poster say he felt like it wasn't maverick but mission impossible so maybe that's what it was.

Favorite moment was probably when rooster is in the plane with him and tells him not to think. Mav rips down and immediately shreds the next gen enemy plane with his guns then baits the enemy missile to blow him up. Just a bad ass sequence that happened real quick.

Quick question, why did rooster not have a spotter in his jet. Beyond just wanting an excuse to pair him and maverick up in the F14. had wondered earlier in the movie why maverick didn't but chalked it up to him not wanting to have another goose experience or something. Seemed like rooster always had one but maybe I just missed that. In my defense I was distracted worrying that I was going to have to call my dr. For having an erection lasting too long.
They said that in each of the two teams, one would be a single pilot and the other would be two. I don't remember an explanation for it.
bthotugigem05
AG
I think Maverick and Rooster were in single-seat variants and the others were in double-seaters. Not sure why.
jackie childs
the simple/movie explanation is that they wanted mav and rooster to get stranded and have to fly out together. can't do that if either has a co-pilot
LMCane
tk for tu juan said:

The movie was awesome. There were two moments that briefly took me out of the film. First moment, the worst possible day of almost losing an aviator to g-lock, almost losing an aviator to a bird strike, and finding out Iceman passed away. Little too much drama in a sequence. Second moment, Mav running thru the woods, had to hold back laughter at Cruise's running style. Like he was turtling heading for a toilet.

Phoenix was absolutely beautiful, the sailing scene was awesome, and living in a hangar that contains a P-51 would be an awesome retirement

BTW, hardly noticed during the movie they had a nameless, faceless enemy. It didn't matter in the storytelling/action

the one country we have been trying to stop getting a nuclear bomb now for 8 years- Iran

the one country that still flies F-14 Tomcats- Iran

the one country where their centrifuges are buried into mountains- Iran

I think it's pretty clear who the "enemy" is
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Joe biden?
duck79
AG
Saw it this morning at Cinemark and got the Tom PSA.

Loved the movie…..I do wish at the end we got a "BS…..you can be my wingman anytime" between Rooster and Hangman. Ha
jr15aggie
AG
Gotta say post movie the Lady GaGa song has grown on me a lot. Really like it and listening closely she 100% went for the 80s power ballad and it really works. Doesn't top Take My Breath Away but she did a great job.

And I can't say enough about the cast of Rooster and Hangman. Hangman in particular played a perfect Ice Man role... you have to sorta hate him but in the end you too want to give him a man hug.

Will also give huge props on the Phoenix character. It takes a special actress to pull that off and not feel like a modern "gotta get a women in there" token character. Not once did I think that... she nailed it.
Cromagnum
AG
Our theater had the sound cranked to 11 and it was fan-****ing-tastic. Couple of cheers from audience in key places where it was warranted but no stupidity. Jennifer Connelly was smoking hot as usual. It's scary how much Miles Teller resembles Goose.

Love how they treated Van Kilmer's cancer condition. The F14 Tomcat heist was silly, but whatever, I'll allow it. Where was Michael Ironside and Tom Skerrit?
Gabster43213
Saw It Today. I really enjoyed the first one but I found this one to be so-so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Legitimately curious what you disliked about it.
bagger05
AG
That movie was exactly what it needed to be.

Awesome. Wish I would've watched it in IMAX.
bonfarr
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Legitimately curious what you disliked about it.

The major issue I had with it was the bombing run/attack plot. Complete Star Wars ripoff and completely implausible. I still enjoyed the movie though because they made up for it in other spots.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny cause that's actually what I liked the most about it.
TyHolden
AG
Where happened to maverick's original girlfriend?

Gooses wife?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
You would, and if it was a pod race with F-14s you would love it even more.
Big Al 1992
AG
Is The Hard Deck really a bar with another name in San Diego? If so, business will be through the roof. The Greasy Spoon from the first film still gets tourists to come through there.
Keegan99
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

"Now THIS is dogfighting!"

bagger05
AG
TyHolden said:

Where happened to maverick's original girlfriend?

Gooses wife?

Goose's wife died

Maverick's girlfriend from the first one, that wasn't no long term thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

The Star Wars of it didn't hurt, but I liked that the entire movie was building towards the mission. I felt the first movie was missing that. Plus it's just damn cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Keegan99 said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

"Now THIS is dogfighting!"

This is where the fun begins.
Big Al 1992
AG
Saw it at Cinemark XD - huge screen and the seats rumbled every time a plane took off.

It was pretty much the perfect Hollywood summer blockbuster. You'll laugh, you'll cry. Action, soundtrack, romance, cheering. Perfect.

Kept waiting for Maverick to say when they were dog fighting in the F 14 - I'm gonna slam on the brakes, and he'll fly right by.

Maverick's introduction to the pilot class was exactly like Kelly McGillis' intro to his class.

The Maverick Rooster reunion in the woods as unrealistic as it was, was awesome.

Jennifer Connelly is more beautiful now than the movies she was in 20 years ago.
TyHolden
AG
This was almost a 40-year sequel. Good for what it was worth. Might watch again in theater if kids want to see it.

I was more shocked to find out another mission impossible is coming out. Watched the first in exact same theater.
tk for tu juan
Podcast with one of the pilots from the movie, including some interesting discussion on Blue Angel transition to the Super Hornet

Know Your Enemy
AG
Loved it. And how is Jennifer Connelly still so beautiful?
TCTTS
AG
Finally.

That was absolutely euphoric.

Just pitch-perfect.

I mean, they might as well have called it Mission: Impossible: Top Gun: Maverick: A New Hope. And I don't in any way mean that as a knock. McQuarrie basically gave us M:I 6.5, and I could not be happier. Everything about the mission was so damn good, and so Ethan Hunt-esque, just with a slight Maverick twist. Throw in the whole trench run/Death Star shaft vibe and man, that was a ride I did not want to end.

Overall, I don't know… there's really nothing else I can say that hasn't already been said. The cinematography was breathtaking, the music/sound design was incredible (and so, so loud, in the best way), and I legit teared up a couple times throughout. That, and from the smallest to the most obvious, the callbacks each served a purpose in moving the story forward. None of it was at all superfluous, something I can't believe they managed to pull off they way they did and make it all count.

I just loved this movie so, so much, am definitely going to see it again in IMAX, and will then watch it untold amount of times at home, once it finally hits Blu-ray/digital.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I saw it with nine other friends - our first big group movie outing in years - at the Chinese Theater IMAX in Hollywood, with 900 other people, and the day/experience could not have been better. Especially because my good friend who worked on the movie saw it with us, and we basically got our own private DVD commentary afterward. My friend was on set nearly every day, and just got back to LA on Wednesday from the worldwide premiere tour with Cruise & co. Said he'd seen the movie close to 15 times already, but wanted to see it again with us, with a paying audience, just to "watch [me] watch the movie," since I've been hyped for it for so long. And it definitely did not disappoint. The audience was incredible, my friends and I had such a great time, and then we went across the street for drinks and sat poolside at the Roosevelt Hotel and talked for two hours about it, with our buddy who knew everything there was to know about the making of (man, I wish I could repeat everything he told us, but I don't want to get him in trouble).

What a movie.

What a day.
PatAg
AG
Bob was played by Bill Pullmans son.
Seems like a lot of sons of actors are starting to hit that age where we start to see them in substantial roles
jbeaman88
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Is The Hard Deck really a bar with another name in San Diego? If so, business will be through the roof. The Greasy Spoon from the first film still gets tourists to come through there.
That was apparently filmed at the I Bar which is on base at NAS North Island. So not very accessible to the general public. Also heard they actually expanded the existing bar specifically for the movie scenes.

Edit: on further research, a temporary replica of the I bar was actually built on the beach just for the movie. Then the actual I bar was renovated after the filming. The movie I bar is in storage after disassembly following the movie but one report was found that it may be reassembled and become permanent in the future.
AgTrip
Loved it but my only complaint...

Who goes sailing in a pair of boots???

Big Al 1992
AG
If the Oscars wants to ever become relevant again after all the fiascos they have had, you make sure Top Gun:Maverick is up for best picture, director, actor, etc
AgGrad99
AG
PatAg said:

Bob was played by Bill Pullmans son.
Seems like a lot of sons of actors are starting to hit that age where we start to see them in substantial roles

He's the Rodeo-riding younger son in Outer Range also. Took me a minute to put those together.
bagger05
AG
AgTrip said:

Loved it but my only complaint...

Who goes sailing in a pair of boots???

The type of person who plays beach volleyball in jeans.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

If the Oscars wants to ever become relevant again after all the fiascos they have had, you make sure Top Gun:Maverick is up for best picture, director, actor, etc
Given that movies like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark were nominated in those categories and did not win against arguably worse competition, I'd say the Oscars have never been relevant to the folks who enjoy these types of movies.
#FJB
Gig-Em2003
AG
Surely there are some tidbits you can drop here!

Awesome day!
aggieband 83
AG
When Maverick asked Iceman about who was the better pilot, I could not hear/understand Iceman's response. Ice made a joke and some people in the audience started laughing.

What was the response said but Ice???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.