*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,898 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another thought I had.

Cruise's reemergence as Pete Mitchell, call sign Maverick, was incredibly similar to Ford's reprisal of the legendary Han Solo.

Maverick is about 35 years after the events of the original Top Gun. The Force Awakens about 32 years after Return of the Jedi. Both actors masterfully re-created these characters at a later stage in life. They still had some swagger, they are "good once as I ever was", but the age, wisdom, and learned humility was just done so well in both examples. For me that what made both so great (not that I am a fan of TFA in general but Ford carried that movie IMO).

The other thing that is does so well and hits home for as a guy rapidly approaching 50, is the interaction with younger people. I can very much relate. Decent men want to pass down some wisdom and some life lessons and help them succeed and find happiness. I loved that about both Maverick and Solo in both films.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Scriffer said:

I'm shocked at how few times some of y'all have seen this.

I'm at a bakers dozen at least

2 young kids at home, I'm generally too exhausted at the end of the day for a nice movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Scriffer said:

Four times in theater.
maroon barchetta
Watching it tonight

It's a simple move, but Penny walking into the house without saying a word and leaving door wide open is about the sexiest damn thing you'll ever see.
Urban Ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Watching it tonight

It's a simple move, but Penny walking into the house without saying a word and leaving door wide open is about the sexiest damn thing you'll ever see.
Absolutely.

My wife and I are watching this and as that scene unfolds I look at her and say "remember back when we had been dating for about 5 or 6 weeks and I drove you back to your apartment? We parked, I told you I'd walk you to your door. You said no. I looked at you like something was wrong but you said why do that when there's nothing wrong with the backseat of your truck?"

She laughed and said I was kinda thinking the same thing.
Decay
AG
It's such a dad movie. Dad jokes, dad wisdom, Jennifer Connelly. As a dad, I approve.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Scriffer said:

2 young kids at home, I'm generally too exhausted at the end of the day for a nice movie.

I've got 5 kids. 2 boys. There have been countless mornings before school we have eaten our cereal together and watched the final act, from Carrier take off to crash landing (or as far as time allowed before leaving the house.)

Insert- Jeff goldblum- life finds a way meme.
jr15aggie
AG
Decay said:

It's such a dad movie. Dad jokes, dad wisdom, Jennifer Connelly. As a dad, I approve.

Agreed.

I'll explain it in a different way. My Dad was a pilot during Vietnam. He took me to see this Rated R movie when I was 7 or 8 years old. Top Gun was a staple of a movie to rewatch during the 80s, 90, and 2000s.

Just now I rewatched this for the X number of times with my college age daughter.

So, yeah, I agree... this is a Dad movie!
Al Bula
AG
Finally got around to seeing this. Not a bad movie but blatant rip-off of the Yavin/Death Star segment of A New Hope.

No doubt that it has been mentioned before, just throwing it out once more about the complete lack of originality in making films.

All that being said, will be fun to watch TG and TGM with my kids in the future.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Wasn't a fan of Top Gun: Maverick

The movie lacked a certain amount of grit.

It was too slick.

The characters were too vanilla.

They should have gone younger and ****tier with Jennifer Connley's role.

Lady gaga's song was decent but not great.

The rest of the characters were forgettable.

The whole thing seemed to be aimed at millennial and gen Z bull**** as well as the foreign market.

It was a cinematic and sound masterpiece. I appreciate that. But the characters weren't big enough for the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

It was too slick.

Lady gaga's song was decent but not great.

The rest of the characters were forgettable.

The whole thing seemed to be aimed at millennial and gen Z bull**** as well as the foreign market.

It was a cinematic and sound masterpiece. I appreciate that. But the characters weren't big enough for the movie.

"But the characters weren't big enough for the movie."

The biggest movie star on the planet, resurrecting his most famous role, wasn't "big enough" for the movie. Got it.

Also, re: Connolly, that might very be the most wrong someone has been on this board, which is saying something. Especially considering she's one of the few leading ladies over the past couple of decades to actually have legit chemistry with Cruise. In fact, I would argue she could not have been more perfectly cast.

Finally, if ever there was a modern blockbuster aimed directly at boomers, this was it. I have literally no idea what you're talking about with this millennial/gen Z/foreign market nonsense.
nosoupforyou
AG
You are a bad person

Or a Russian bot
DargelSkout
AG
There's always that one guy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sad troll attempt.
wangus12
AG
Been a lot of trolls recently on the EB
maroon barchetta
Stat Monitor Hipster
Stat Monitor Repairman
Movie starts out with Maverick working on an aircraft engine with a giant half inch drive ratchet.

Incredulous.

Really set a bad tone.

Thats just one example.
MooreTrucker
nosoupforyou
AG
1:10 am post by an old

Definitely a Russian bot trying to stir up with disinformation
Stat Monitor Repairman

the Kawasaki 900R was the best minor character that spanned both movies.

the 1986 movie made the Kawasaki ninja synonymous with sportbikes.

The secnes with him racing the jets with the ninja has to be the greatest motorcycle commercial of all time.

People went nuts for all kinds of sport-bikes after the original movie.

So the best minor character is the ninja. Thats how weak the characters were in the second movie.

But maybe I'll go back and watch it again. Maybe i'm wrong about this.
maroon barchetta
It was a summer popcorn flick that gave nods to the original movie and to Star Wars and probably some other movies.

It worked. Amazingly. To the point that Steven freaking Spielberg told Cruise he saved the box office and maybe movie distribution as well.

Taking a gamble on releasing a sequel 30+ years later is unheard of, but it was excellent. My wife initially didn't want to see it and then walked out of the theater saying "I WANT TO JOIN THE NAVY AND BE A FIGHTER PILOT!!!"

You're entitled to your opinion. Steven Spielberg would not agree.
country
AG
I am still waiting for another movie worthy of returning to the theater. What has happened to the Summer Blockbusters? I guess I'm just getting older but there seems to be absolutely nothing worthy of going to the big screen since this one. Maverick was unique in that aspect.
TCTTS
AG
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3?
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse?

If superheroes or sci-fi aren't your thing, though, this summer is about to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, and Oppenheimer. If you can get excited for at least a couple of those, I don't know what to tell you.
country
AG
We saw Avatar. Very disappointed.

I didn't realize Indiana Jones was coming out this summer but will see that….mostly because the movie makers from the 80s/90s set the stage and hooked me.

Oppenheimer is actually the first movie I've seen previews from that excited me without having a childhood nostalgia.

Not a lot coming out that isn't retread unless it is super hero.
country
AG
Also….look at how many of those you suggested that are comic book or long running franchises. At some point movie makers have to come up with some original content. Where is the Scent of a Women, Men of Honor, American Pie, Scream, etc.? Original ideas that drew people in. It seems to me that Hollywood is largely out of original ideas. They have latched on to the formula that works. I get it. But I don't go to the movies at near the rate we used to for a reason. Just not a lot of compelling stories being releases.
TCTTS
AG
Original movies are more of a gamble today than they've ever been. I don't like it any more than you do, but that's just the way it is. The execs who green-light blockbusters have ONE goal above all others, and that's to keep their jobs. So they can choose to gamble their job on original movies or they can choose to gamble their job on movies that already have a built-in audience. Back when movie stars were a bigger draw than the brand or nostalgia, it was a lot easier for execs to gamble on movie stars (and thus gamble in original ideas). Because movie stars were what brought in the audience, not so much Marvel or DC or Star Wars or whatever. But when we started to favor brands/nostalgia over the star, everything changed, and now the movie star can't guarantee the audience a superhero movie can, so execs are gambling less on original movies headlined by stars, and more on movies with built-in audiences. TG:M is the rare exception, because it managed to meld both: the mega star (Cruise) with the brand/nostalgia (Top Gun).
country
AG
Very good summation. I just hate it but understand it.

Edit: bad emoji not intended
Ferg
country said:

I am still waiting for another movie worthy of returning to the theater. What has happened to the Summer Blockbusters? I guess I'm just getting older but there seems to be absolutely nothing worthy of going to the big screen since this one. Maverick was unique in that aspect.
The new Mission Impossible in early July.
BoxingAg84
CubbieAggie
AG
Just caught the end of this for the 3rd or 4th time. This movie is friggin awesome.
Stat Monitor Repairman

It was too slick.

How right to I have to be about this?

How right?

Tom caved and let the nose of the camel in the tent. Now it's the norm.

You look at the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s it was all about how hot of a peice of ass can we squeeze in this summer blockbuster? Now it's a donkey show.

They've stripped sexuality from all women and put it in boxes on the internet for private consumption.

People raged against Puritanical bs throughout the 80s and 90s now its the norm.

Maybe we'll see a course correction in our lifetime, but maybe not.

TCTTS
AG
Your posts - especially this one - increasingly sound like the rants of a madman.

Also, if you don't find Jennifer Connelly, Rebecca Ferguson, et al sexy, maybe that says more about you than it does about Hollywood.
bangobango
AG

It was too slick.

How right to I have to be about this?

How right?

Tom caved and let the nose of the camel in the tent. Now it's the norm.

You look at the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s it was all about how hot of a peice of ass can we squeeze in this summer blockbuster? Now it's a donkey show.

They've stripped sexuality from all women and put it in boxes on the internet for private consumption.

People raged against Puritanical bs throughout the 80s and 90s now its the norm.

Maybe we'll see a course correction in our lifetime, but maybe not.

Troll account?
TCTTS
AG
Sadly, no. Take a look at his profile page for an unfortunate glimpse of his worldview. In fact, the other day I randomly came across a doozy of a post of his on a certain forum he frequents that left me shaking my head more than usual.
BowSowy
AG
That dude's been a lunatic for a long, long time. And his posting style drives me insane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.