*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK *** (Spoiler Thread)

191,911 Views | 1717 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Marauder Blue 6
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking the family tonight... viewing #2 for me. Still hyped!
Squadron7
AG
When Kathleen Kennedy gets hold of the franchise:

Top Gun VI: Patriarchy Down
dreyOO
jr15aggie said:

Dammit, I keep missing opportunities for the 2nd viewing. Gonna force it...possibly father's day gift to myself.
Squadron7
AG
I'm hoping that once Jurassic Park: Redundancy cools off then maybe Maverick can slip back on to the IMAX screens for a bit longer.
bangobango
AG
Squadron7 said:

Maverick will lose a simulated dog fight against a girl who just started flying jets a couple days before without any training.
Squadron7
AG
Why do some posts turn blue with 3 stars and others take 10?
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Squadron7 said:

Different forums have different standards.
Squadron7
AG
bangobango said:

Squadron7 said:

Maverick will lose a simulated dog fight against a girl who just started flying jets a couple days before without any training.

With 35 minutes of back story about all of the men in her family...Navy vets all...repeatedly giving her dolls for Christmas while her brother gets F-18 models up until she turns 18 when she is finally able to leave home legally instead of being sent off to beauty college to make her a suitable match for the local High School stud QB turned hunting guide.

She is later taken in by a pair of flight instructors who were Women's Air Corps Service Pilots back in the day and whose relationship is never outright stated...but we all know (wink, wink).

On her first student flight her WASP instructor becomes incapacitated by a bird strike and at first she panics...but then calms herself by saying, "Talk to me, Gloria." At which point she gains control of the aircraft and flies as one with 10,000 hours of flight time performing a perfect emergency landing at Miramar catching the eye of the lead instructor there (call sign: Ball Breaker). But not before she buzzes some Border Patrol Agents to scare their horses while they are trying to round up some Dreamers who are all women and children with perfect teeth and who all look like Salma Hayek and a young Dakota Fanning, respectively.

Oscar. Give it to me.
MooreTrucker
AG
Frighteningly accurate these days
Pooh Ah
AG
Blanco Jimenez said:

Squadron7 said:

Different forums have different standards.

That's the truth!
aTmAg
AG
Squadron7 said:

The bar of excellence on #13 is much lower than elsewhere.
'03ag
Squadron7 said:

I think it's actually a formula based on the actual traffic on a given board. So forums with higher post rates require more stars to turn blue. 3 is the minimum.
DallasTeleAg
Yeah... but there was nothing in there about her telling her male boss, "I don't need to prove anything to you." before doing something no man has ever done.
Squadron7
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah... but there was nothing in there about her telling her male boss, "I don't need to prove anything to you." before doing something no man has ever done.

And her call sign is: Ruthter.
bagger05
AG
G##d###it I know this is a troll but I just can't…

So let me get this straight…

Hollywood turns out a badass movie that isn't the least bit woke or preachy about anything. And because this doesn't enrage you, you make up a hypothetical version of this movie (hypothetical aka it doesn't actually f###ing exist) that IS woke and preachy so you can whine and complain about it???

FFS dude isn't this movie exactly what you wanted? Isn't this just an awesome action flick that mentions nothing of America other than it kicks ass and beats the hell out of the bad guys?

You have nothing to be mad about. If you want to invent make believe s### to be mad about please take it to F16.
DallasTeleAg
texagpilot
AG
2nd viewing last night, even better this time! Hard to believe a sequel is this good.
Squadron7
AG
bagger05 said:

Hollywood turns out a badass movie that isn't the least bit woke or preachy about anything. And because this doesn't enrage you, you make up a hypothetical version of this movie (hypothetical aka it doesn't actually f###ing exist) that IS woke and preachy so you can whine and complain about it???

FFS dude isn't this movie exactly what you wanted? Isn't this just an awesome action flick that mentions nothing of America other than it kicks ass and beats the hell out of the bad guys?

You have nothing to be mad about. If you want to invent make believe s### to be mad about please take it to F16.

I've seen the movie twice in the theater. I may even go back one more time to see it before it leaves the big screen.

I've put my money where my mouth is when it comes to this particular Hollywood offering.

And pointing out that Hollywood is more times than not nauseatingly predictable to the point of dogma or that Kathleen Kennedy (and others) ruin franchises like Amy Schumer ruins comedy doesn't inherently make it an F16 post.

This is a great movie for what it contains. It is made better by what it doesn't and seems to get absolutely shoehorned in to so many others.
bagger05
AG
Dude not everything is about politics. No one is taking the conversation about this movie there except you. If you want to talk about the politics of Hollywood there is a forum where that's what people want to talk about. Sometimes there are threads about that on this forum.

This particular thread is neither.

Please just take that conversation elsewhere.
Squadron7
AG
bagger05 said:

Dude not everything is about politics. No one is taking the conversation about this movie there except you. If you want to talk about the politics of Hollywood there is a forum where that's what people want to talk about. Sometimes there are threads about that on this forum.

Here is the thing: One of the things that makes this movie great is it's lack of politics. That is completely fair to opine on....even in F13.

My script story line riff that was so on the nose as to be painful for you to read? Well, I am sorry that had to happen to you.
Claude!
What went through my mind reading this:

Quote:

Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
And he told me it was the perfect country & western song
I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was not the perfect country & western song
Because he hadn't said anything at all about mama
Or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting' drunk
Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to the song and he sent it to me
And after reading it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country & western song
And I felt obliged to include it on this album
The last verse goes like this here

You have perfected the perfect grrl power script.
Squadron7
AG
Claude! said:

What went through my mind reading this:

Quote:

Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
And he told me it was the perfect country & western song
I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was not the perfect country & western song
Because he hadn't said anything at all about mama
Or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting' drunk
Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to the song and he sent it to me
And after reading it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country & western song
And I felt obliged to include it on this album
The last verse goes like this here

You have perfected the perfect grrl power script.

In the pitch meeting I called it Maverick meets Captain Marvel.
bangobango
AG
bagger05 said:

you're the one making it about politics. Everyone else was just joking around.
TCTTS
AG
As the person who probably gets the most annoyed with F16 and/or dumbass political talk on this board, I had zero issue with Squadron's post.

This thread has been so great for so long and so much this...

... let's keep it from becoming this...

Squadron7
AG
So...back on track....any chance Maverick slips back into the IMAX's before it goes away? Or is there something behind JP coming?

It really was good on that big screen.
MooreTrucker
AG
bagger05 said:

I think you must have skipped a page or two if you think this is anything but a joke follow-up to a thread topic. Nothing about it is serious, so maybe take a step back.
MooreTrucker
AG
Squadron7 said:

So...back on track....any chance Maverick slips back into the IMAX's before it goes away? Or is there something behind JP coming?

It really was good on that big screen.
I'm hoping that the theaters see the HUGE difference between the TG sales and the JW sales and let's us have IMAX back for more.
country
AG
Watched TG a 3rd time in a normal theater. No comparison. If it goes back to IMAX I'll be there
Chipotlemonger
AG
country said:

Watched TG a 3rd time in a normal theater. No comparison. If it goes back to IMAX I'll be there
Well damn, I saw it in more or less a nice normal theater. Maybe I need to search it out in better format.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wouldn't be surprised if it returns to IMAX for 4th of July weekend in a lot of theaters.
Squadron7
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it returns to IMAX for 4th of July weekend in a lot of theaters.

I'm there, then.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's what I'm betting/hoping. Thor won't be out for a few days, and JW3/Lightyear will have had their runs. Squeeze in one last TG:M IMAX stint, that week or weekend, and it'll absolutely make $$$.
GrayMatter
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's what I'm betting/hoping. Thor won't be out for a few days, and JW3/Lightyear will have had their runs. Squeeze in one last TG:M IMAX stint, that week or weekend, and it'll absolutely make $$$.
I hope so. I was bummed that it was taken out of the IMAX lineup for Jurassic Park. I thought for sure they would keep it on IMAX for a while especially since it has been making a lot of $$$.
AgsMnn
AG
Saw this movie last night. It was very good. Loved it.
jr15aggie
AG
dreyOO said:

jr15aggie said:

Dammit, I keep missing opportunities for the 2nd viewing. Gonna force it...possibly father's day gift to myself.

I think I loved it even more the 2nd time. Didn't really pick up on anything I missed, it's just a hella fun movie!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.